Official Equipment Pondering Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jrod, this one is similar to the one posted above, but is a bit easier to use (I have both). With the hinge at the top it makes it much easier to put the ball in and out of it to mark it.

51roaH6AmcL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002LTIUX2...d=17484470671661538544&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=

Bro your signature is spelled wrong haha. I still luffs you.

I have that one War suggested. It's really good for what it's used for.

I will have to try the milk lid idea, seems too easy.

Pondering of KBS C-Taper shafts is officially over. I went to Golf Galaxy after lunch and had them put a C-Taper Stiff into a R11 6 iron head from the fitting cart, since I've had the R11 irons in KBS Tour Stiff since last year. Unfortunately, I didn't have the R11 irons in the car when I went there, but this was on a whim.

I didn't have much of a problem with the feel of the shafts: slightly stouter than the KBS Tour, but nothing I couldn't deal with. The launch was still pretty high, 18-20 degrees with a 6 iron, but that's more a function of my swing than the club head or shaft. The issue was the spin: mid-to-high 4000s in RPM, even when I was hitting the Callaway Hex Tour Black as opposed to the normal rocks that they have in the hitting bay. At times I was seeing slightly higher carry numbers than with my current clubs, but I think that was a function of the lower spin. On the flip side, I was getting 10 yards of rollout with the 6 iron. Even though it was indoors, all of this was on a Trackman, so I take that more seriously than an simulator. I don't have a huge problem with distance, so I'll take slightly shorter carry numbers if it means that I can stop my ball reliably on greens. I wouldn't want to deal with having balls release too much when hitting approach shots, so I'll stick with my KBS Tour Stiff shafts.

pondering the Nike VRS driver I hit over lunch and just found a deal for...

Pondering of KBS C-Taper shafts is officially over. I went to Golf Galaxy after lunch and had them put a C-Taper Stiff into a R11 6 iron head from the fitting cart, since I've had the R11 irons in KBS Tour Stiff since last year. Unfortunately, I didn't have the R11 irons in the car when I went there, but this was on a whim.

I didn't have much of a problem with the feel of the shafts: slightly stouter than the KBS Tour, but nothing I couldn't deal with. The launch was still pretty high, 18-20 degrees with a 6 iron, but that's more a function of my swing than the club head or shaft. The issue was the spin: mid-to-high 4000s in RPM, even when I was hitting the Callaway Hex Tour Black as opposed to the normal rocks that they have in the hitting bay. At times I was seeing slightly higher carry numbers than with my current clubs, but I think that was a function of the lower spin. On the flip side, I was getting 10 yards of rollout with the 6 iron. Even though it was indoors, all of this was on a Trackman, so I take that more seriously than an simulator. I don't have a huge problem with distance, so I'll take slightly shorter carry numbers if it means that I can stop my ball reliably on greens. I wouldn't want to deal with having balls release too much when hitting approach shots, so I'll stick with my KBS Tour Stiff shafts.

I think that's probably the right call Ary.

pondering the Nike VRS driver I hit over lunch and just found a deal for...

I like that ponder

wasnt the longest club ever, but hit it darn straight down at the Demo Day and again today when I hit it

Pondering the driver I am FINALLY going to be able to pick up after work today!!!

That's a great rundown there Ary! The C's and I area getting along quite well lately. They're going to supplant the SL's here.

Thus three ponders
A: Yonex 380 driver head
B: C Tapers. Into a new iron or into an existing set is the question
C: C Tapers into the wedges

wasnt the longest club ever, but hit it darn straight down at the Demo Day and again today when I hit it

That's a ponder that needs to end via purchase dude

^^^^^^ I Tapped That.....On My iPad ^^^^^^

That's a great rundown there Ary! The C's and I area getting along quite well lately. They're going to supplant the SL's here.

Thus three ponders
A: Yonex 380 driver head
B: C Tapers. Into a new iron or into an existing set is the question
C: C Tapers into the wedges

Thanks bud. I really wanted the C-Tapers to work, and maybe if I improve my swing and can put some more spin on the ball, I'll consider them again. However, I'm more of a sweeper than a digger, so that may contribute to not being a high spin player. The more that I get on launch monitor with my irons, I realize that I'm a high launch, medium spin player with those clubs, and the C-Tapers are just not a great fit for me. Now it's time to settle on an iron set for the rest of the golf season.

And is also why fittings are so important. You and I are both classifed more as sweepers but I'm still considered a high launch/high spin player with everything in all my fittings. I'm always stuck into mid/low or low/low set ups because of it.

Going to stop at Golf USA tomorrow in Grand Island NE, to check out some three woods and ask about club fitting. Got any advice on what to ask or look out for?

I'll be looking at the Mashie FWs and maybe a rbz.

~Joseph~
via Tapatalk

Going to stop at Golf USA tomorrow in Grand Island NE, to check out some three woods and ask about club fitting. Got any advice on what to ask or look out for?

I'll be looking at the Mashie FWs and maybe a rbz.

~Joseph~
via Tapatalk

I will say that you should go in with no preconcieved feelings and just try to hit as many things as you can

Thanks bud. I really wanted the C-Tapers to work, and maybe if I improve my swing and can put some more spin on the ball, I'll consider them again. However, I'm more of a sweeper than a digger, so that may contribute to not being a high spin player. The more that I get on launch monitor with my irons, I realize that I'm a high launch, medium spin player with those clubs, and the C-Tapers are just not a great fit for me. Now it's time to settle on an iron set for the rest of the golf season.

Ary, I am also a sweeper, high launch/mid-spin and am (or was) pondering C-tapers. Now that you have ruled out C-tapers, what other shafts are on your ponder list, or, do you feel satisfied with the KBS tours?

pondering new wedges...MpT-11, J40's or CG15's..hmm

The J40's don't come in 50 (sadly) although i'm sure the 52 can be bent... Are you thinking about sticking with your current setup?

Good question! No actually going to sell my current setup. Started with 52*, 56* and then went to the 50, 54, 60 setup thinking I would tighten up the gap between my PW. Now i don't like the feel of the 50* and never touch the 60*. So now i'm thinking of going back to my 52* 56* or 52* 58*

Ary, I am also a sweeper, high launch/mid-spin and am (or was) pondering C-tapers. Now that you have ruled out C-tapers, what other shafts are on your ponder list, or, do you feel satisfied with the KBS tours?

Pretty satisfied with KBS Tours, to be honest with you. I feel like I hit a pretty high ball with my irons, so I thought I might be high launch and high spin, but that's not the case. For what it's worth, my short irons and wedges tend to hit and stop, instead of hitting and spinning back like high spin players do. I could play Dynamic Gold if I needed to do that, but just prefer the feel of KBS Tour. I haven't found a Project X shaft that I have gotten along with.

Pretty satisfied with KBS Tours, to be honest with you. I feel like I hit a pretty high ball with my irons, so I thought I might be high launch and high spin, but that's not the case. For what it's worth, my short irons and wedges tend to hit and stop, instead of hitting and spinning back like high spin players do. I could play Dynamic Gold if I needed to do that, but just prefer the feel of KBS Tour. I haven't found a Project X shaft that I have gotten along with.

I had the 90's in my previous iron and liked them except I could not get them stiff enough. The added weight doesn't bother me so I need to give the tours a shot. Nothing a fitting can't handle....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back