Official Masters Thread [spoilers]

I'm late to the party cause I ended up playing 18 with some buddies at the last second today. but WOW that was awesome watching all the replays must have been a 1000x better live! and I can admit as well I got choked up watching Phil with his family. it was very very sweet to see a great guy like Phil overcome what has to be incredible emotional stress over his wife and mom to rise up and win another Green Jacket. also very cool to see AK and Boom Boom and Choi have a great Masters as well. a little shocked to see Tiger finish that high but he did show his "rust" on many occasions. all in all one of the best majors I have watched in a while for sure, cant wait for the U.S. Open!

Happy for Phil, not bad for an "over rated" player right??:D
Am glad that KJ did not win, for some reason I just don't care for him. My picks to win it of those in contention would have been in this order, Couples followed by AK & then Phil.

And I haven't gone back & read all the posts, internet was down for a few days but I will say this, Tiger choked. The tourney was his & he had ample opportunity to take control but every single time he would follow up a nice eagle or birdie with a horrible horrible bogey. His putter was running hot & cold & if he could have gotten a handle on things he would have ran away with this event.

That being said, Phil did what he needed to do & grabbed hold & refused to let go. That ballsy shot on 13 deciding to go for it out of the woods insted of laying up probably sealed the deal.

on a side note very entertaining reading the last 10-15 pages worth of posts! of course some more then others. :wink:

wholly :poop:! I just saw the replay of Phils shot between the trees! that was one of the sickest shots ever! :worship:

On that note, I hope Westwood gets his major soon. He was welling up during his interview ... and I say good for him. I don't want emotionless players ... not even Tiger. The fact that he was robotic is part of what I didn't care for.

I think that's why I don't care for KJ, too damn robotic, shows no emotions & is boring to watch.

BTW, anyone else think it's ridiculous for Tiger to state he is "going to take some time off" & decide what his next event will be? Just had 5 months off, can't be worn out already? What's he planning on doing this year, only playing the 4 majors? If so I hope he gets crushed in the next 3.

It was a good tournament, glad Phil won it. Personally I don't care if Tiger plays or when he plays. If he decides to only play the 4 majors, more power to him, he earned that right by crushing the competition all these years he has been on tour under the current system. I do think the tour should implement some sort of minimum number of events that a person must play in every year though, say 20 events. If they don't play they lose their privileges for the next year and must go through Q school, with exception to approved absences from the game such as medical, etc. Although I guess sex addiction would probably qualify under that.

Am glad that KJ did not win, for some reason I just don't care for him. My picks to win it of those in contention would have been in this order, Couples followed by AK & then Phil.

And I haven't gone back & read all the posts, internet was down for a few days but I will say this, Tiger choked. The tourney was his & he had ample opportunity to take control but every single time he would follow up a nice eagle or birdie with a horrible horrible bogey. His putter was running hot & cold & if he could have gotten a handle on things he would have ran away with this event.

That being said, Phil did what he needed to do & grabbed hold & refused to let go. That ballsy shot on 13 deciding to go for it out of the woods insted of laying up probably sealed the deal.

I wouldn't really say he choked. He would've had to have gotten a 64 just to tie Mickelson...and that's not too reasonable for the first tournament back for him.

Phil played great. That thing that obstructed his putt was ridiculous!

And I'm really glad to see Westwood choke again. Not sure why, but I can't stand the guy. Also, I think it's good Phil finally got a win.

Sweet Masters win for Phil. I'm kicking myself now that I didn't get that Diablo Edge with this promo. JB, I'm curious about the financials behind this deal. Who's footing the bill... Callaway, Golfsmith or are they going dutch?

He didn't choke. He never had a lead to choke away.

He simply didn't make enough putts or hit enough good shots to win or put more pressure on the leaders.

It's really that simple.

Tiger will be back.

ditto!

BTW, anyone else think it's ridiculous for Tiger to state he is "going to take some time off" & decide what his next event will be? Just had 5 months off, can't be worn out already? What's he planning on doing this year, only playing the 4 majors? If so I hope he gets crushed in the next 3.

I think that's why I don't care for KJ, too damn robotic, shows no emotions & is boring to watch.

No, it's not ridiculous.

He can do whatever he feels like he needs to do. You don't know him nor the situation to deem it ridiculous.

No, it's not ridiculous.

He can do whatever he feels like he needs to do. You don't know him nor the situation to deem it ridiculous.

I do have to ask you one legitimate question.

Is Phil still overrated?

No, it's not ridiculous.

It's sad that you don't want to keep this topic on course, but whatever.

Congrats again to Phil on a great win. I don;t agree with the announcers that this will be his most fondly remembered one, I think your 1st Masters would always be your most cherished. It appears the Phil feels the same way as he woulnd't say something like "ya this is the best one ever".

And didn't that whole Butler Cabin deal afterwards appear weird? Something about it just felt odd, Phil looked like he just wanted his jacket & to get the hell out of there. Nance was performing his ever so popular shtick of asking boring repetitive questions that are so freakin obvious.

thanks for clearing that up...

No, it's not ridiculous.

I do have to ask you one legitimate question.

Is Phil still overrated?

It's amazing what a win like this can do.

No, I don't think he's overrated.

And now for something completely different.....With all of the great golfers at or near the top of the leaderboard all week and the shots that they were making, is this one of the greatest Masters in recent memory?

The best since Nicklaus in 1986, in my humble opinion.

Or maybe 1995 when Crenshaw came out of hiding to win, and dedicated it to Harvey Penick who had just passed away a week earlier. Harvey was Ben's golf teacher and close friend since childhood. Ben was a pallbearer at Harvey's funeral, then headed to Augusta, where he was given zero chance to place, much less win.

And my heartfelt congratulations to Phil. He is one of the classiest guys on Tour, and has been one of my favorites since he won in Tucson while still in college.

Last edited:
It was a good tournament, glad Phil won it. Personally I don't care if Tiger plays or when he plays. If he decides to only play the 4 majors, more power to him, he earned that right by crushing the competition all these years he has been on tour under the current system. I do think the tour should implement some sort of minimum number of events that a person must play in every year though, say 20 events. If they don't play they lose their privileges for the next year and must go through Q school, with exception to approved absences from the game such as medical, etc. Although I guess sex addiction would probably qualify under that.

They do have that rule in place.

Sweet Masters win for Phil. I'm kicking myself now that I didn't get that Diablo Edge with this promo. JB, I'm curious about the financials behind this deal. Who's footing the bill... Callaway, Golfsmith or are they going dutch?

Golfsmith is.

stay classy Phil! we love ya man!

They do have that rule in place.

Golfsmith is.

But, did Golfsmith purchase an insurance policy to cover the contest? If so, money well spent since they're now only out the price of the policy.

Is it the fourth major? or the third green jacket that removes him from the land of overrated players

Is it the fourth major? or the third green jacket that removes him from the land of overrated players

Not necessary. Lets leave it alone!!!!!

But, did Golfsmith purchase an insurance policy to cover the contest? If so, money well spent since they're now only out the price of the policy.

One would expect that they insured themselves against this eventuality. This one was certainly more likely than the earlier Sergio promotion was. Golf tournaments which give away a car for a hole-in-one usually insure themselves against the loss too. My wife's boss won a Corvette several years ago for making an ace in a charity event. They bought the insurance, but apparently nobody told them that the car was valued at $65,000. They were only insured against a $50,000 loss. :dohanim:

What a great win by Phil. What a thing to accomplish with an ailing wife waiting in the wings. Really moving. It"s such a better outcome than having Tiger win. I'm now glad he made the cut because I enjoyed watching him struggle. I heard John Feinstein say on The Golf Channel this morning that he was so tired of hearing people say "what Tiger has gone through." He hasn't gone through anything, he put himself in the situation by being a despicable person. Phil and Amy and their family and friends have gone through and are going through "something".

Great efforts by Choi, Westwood, Freddie, and the little Korean kid, Kim. LOL. Man did he drain the putts.

Kevin

im so glad you said exactly what i was thinking and ill leave it at that...

im a phil fan cuz i tend to see myself playing that style of golf... ima go for it kinda guy and for some reason "safe" golf always bites me in my game... and to my observance phil is pretty personable... that and him being a san diego guys... im glad he won

Back