Official Ryder Cup Thread [Spoilers]

Hanson deserves his place on the team. I don't think any qualifier can think they don't deserve to be there. Qualification is earned over a long period of time.

I think Tiger should be on the team. He still is Tiger Woods. Its golf, you never know day to day wo is going to show up and play. He has been struggling a bit, but who doesnt. I would love to see him against the euros. He is an intimidating person in general.

Tiger has only 1 loss in singles matches at the Ryder Cup...I would take him. I actually worry more about Phil right now than I do Tiger

Hanson deserves his place on the team. I don't think any qualifier can think they don't deserve to be there. Qualification is earned over a long period of time.

Agreed. ANybody that earns their way on should not be questioned.

Tiger has only 1 loss in singles matches at the Ryder Cup...I would take him. I actually worry more about Phil right now than I do Tiger

Being worried about his play maybe. Should he be on the team? ABSOLUTELY. He earned it over the long haul.

Its funny because just last week, many said TW should not be on the team because of how he is playing. Then he has 2 good rounds and he "earned it". I just dont see it.

Will he be there? Of course he will. SHould he be with his resume the last 10 months or so? No. BUt his legacy, much like Paddy's. Is why he will be on the team. You cannot have a team of top 12 without the guy "ranked" #1. And its not his individual play that scares me. The RC is a team event and his record is just okay in the rest of the rest of the play.

And its not his individual play that scares me. The RC is a team event and his record is just okay in the rest of the rest of the play.

Tiger is 3-1-2 during singles matches(7-12-0 in other matches) at the Ryder Cup.
Lefty's record in the Ryder Cup 10-14-6. He hasn't really been that good either.

Woods last 3 Ryder Cups. 06- 3-2-0 04- 2-3-0(Tiger and Mick paired for 2 losses on day 1) 02- 2-2-1
Considering the US got beat pretty handily in 04 and 06 I would say he hasn't been as bad as his record suggests.

I would forget about Tiger because I'm pretty sure he will be there...what do you do with Anthony Kim

Tiger is 3-1-2 during singles matches(7-12-0 in other matches) at the Ryder Cup.
Lefty's record in the Ryder Cup 10-14-6. He hasn't really been that good either.

Woods last 3 Ryder Cups. 06- 3-2-0 04- 2-3-0(Tiger and Mick paired for 2 losses on day 1) 02- 2-2-1
Considering the US got beat pretty handily in 04 and 06 I would say he hasn't been as bad as his record suggests.

I would forget about Tiger because I'm pretty sure he will be there...what do you do with Anthony Kim

Again, you are comparing him to a player THAT EARNED HIS WAY ON.

You should be comparing him to the other players that have not!

Again, you are comparing him to a player THAT EARNED HIS WAY ON.

You should be comparing him to the other players that have not!

I'm not saying, or I have I ever said that Phil shouldn't be on the team JB...those 2 are number 1 and 2 in the world. When you mentioned Tigers record, I wanted to throw his record in there as a reference point. That's all I was doing. I did say that I was worried about his play as of late.

I did mention Anthony Kim... what do you do there...he started off the year great, had surgery, has been bad lately. Had a good Ryder Cup in 08, embraces the event. Do you take him or leave him? Would you rather have him or Tiger?

I'm not saying, or I have I ever said that Phil shouldn't be on the team JB...those 2 are number 1 and 2 in the world. When you mentioned Tigers record, I wanted to throw his record in there as a reference point. That's all I was doing. I did say that I was worried about his play as of late.

I did mention Anthony Kim... what do you do there...he started off the year great, had surgery, has been bad lately. Had a good Ryder Cup in 08, embraces the event. Do you take him or leave him? Would you rather have him or Tiger?

Personally I would rather have neither. But we all know TW is on the team.

I think this event has come too early for AK.

I cannot believe the craziness of the timing of the picks. In the final round at the Barclays, Harrington was playing along side Casey, and Casey has Luke Donald's brother as a caddy. They all heard about Molinari's win at the Johnny Walker, so they knew there would only be two picks left. Thus, they knew that in that group of Harrington, Casey and Donald's bro, at least one of them would be unhappy by round's end.

As it went down, Casey saw Harrington's wife give Harrington's caddy a thumbs-up, signifying that Harrington had been choosen. Casey knew at that moment that he was not selected, because Harrington's wife also would have signaled something to Casey.

Awkward... Casey playing alongside Harrington and Donald's bro, and still trying to finish the remaining 10 or so holes. Those guys had to be beaming with joy.

I dont necessarily agree with that. They are professional golfers. The PGA Tour is the highest level and highest paying tour there is right now. It happens to be the Playoffs of said tour. There is no reason Monty could not wait until Monday or Tuesday except to throw it in their faces and say "You should be playing here".

And if he felt so strongly about it, he should have left Luke and Paddy off too.

Perhaps they should just make it Euro Tour vs PGA Tour....Since most of the top line players play full PGA Tour events and live in the US full time.

I'm not saying I agree with how Monty handled his selection. What I am saying is they players knew that Monty was going to take into account whether the player was at the Barclays instead of the Johnnie Walker. Monty is an ar$e, always has been and always will be, IMO. There is a reason the US fans razz him as much as they do. He brings it on himself and he did it again with his selection process. If EURO loses the RC, Monty will get ripped apart. And, I bet there will be anonymous rumblings from the Euro RC squad about his leadership or lack thereof. My guess, is he will try to some sort of dictatorial type of captaining, which will not go over well at all.

In regards to the picks, I like the Moli brothers, especially Eduardo. I also like the Luke Donald selection. He will FW and GIR you to death. If he gets his irons dialed in, he'll be tough to beat, especially when you consider he'll probably be hitting first from the FW most of the time, since he's not a long knocker.

I would've chosen Casey over Harrington. Paddy's RC record definitely ain't worth writing home about. And, I don't buy that 'veteran leadership' garbage. That's what vice captains are for.

How many would've argued for Laird to be included if he would've won the Barclays?

Am I understanding correctly? Mrs. D feels the Euros eligible for The Barclays should have skipped this part of the FedEx playoffs to play in a Euro Tour event? If so, he's a bigger numb nuts than I thought. Because he never really had the testicular fortitude to play on the most competitive tour in the world, he feels others should give up their right to do so.

Numb nuts.

If I am understanding this incorrectly, I apologize and Monty is only a smaller numb nuts.

Kevin

Am I understanding correctly? Mrs. D feels the Euros eligible for The Barclays should have skipped this part of the FedEx playoffs to play in a Euro Tour event? If so, he's a bigger numb nuts than I thought. Because he never really had the testicular fortitude to play on the most competitive tour in the world, he feels others should give up their right to do so.

Numb nuts.

If I am understanding this incorrectly, I apologize and Monty is only a smaller numb nuts.

Kevin

Ding ding ding!

Numb nuts.

Kevin

lmao esox! numb nuts and moobs.....monty's wife is one lucky lady!

I feel that Rose and Casey have earned spots on the team much more than Hanson. Its too bad that mathematically they didnt. But they have definitely earned it more than he did.

At least Rose for sure, maybe not Casey.

Rose and Hanson both have two wins. Roses was no doubt against stronger fields.

I feel that Rose and Casey have earned spots on the team much more than Hanson. Its too bad that mathematically they didnt. But they have definitely earned it more than he did.

Out of curiosity, how? He has two wins (Euro Tour) as well.

I just looked up Monty's playing record. I knew he has had little success outside the Ryder Cup when playing competitively in the New World, but wasn't aware he has never won here. I did know he was sans major. He probably eats at night to sooth feelings of inadequacy, and his lack of success may well explain his latent hostility towards other Euros who have chosen to give it a go in the Colonies.

Kevin

very good conversation guys... I'm looking forward to this!!! :D

Well as anyone who has watched him over a long period of time will tell you, Monty wears his grudges on his sleeve. On top of that he was thrown out there as the best that British golf had to offer at a time when it did not have much to offer and then got outplayed by a few of the British peers of his day, sort of like Tim Henson and tennis in his day only with even less success at least based on expectation. His career outside of the Ryder Cup will probably be remembered for some of the most mind bending stroke play collapse of all time as at one point you would likely have voted Monty the pro most likely to give up a Sunday lead regardless of its size.

The fact is he was one of the few big strapping golfers that the British press could point at as some sort of equivalent to the developing prototypical American golfer. An unfortunate side effect was that players like Ian Wossnam probably did not get the attention they deserved. In addition so much negative attention went Monty’s way as he so often was seen whining and complaining about this that and the other thing as in fact he was usually whining and complaining about something.

Who's he grudging on? Euros that choose to play on the PGA Tour where they compete with most of the top players in the world on a weekly basis, and the paychecks are significantly larger? Sounds a tad petty, and I don't mean Tom.

Kevin

Esox is quite pithy today... love it!

Well purses aside, the US Tour is today considered still to be the pinnacle of golf. It may not always be that way and in fact I would be surprised if it stays that way if some things don’t change. I don’t know that he is holding a grudge against anybody that has anything to do with the Ryder Cup but I doubt he feels like he was often well treated this side of the pond and while he may have a point he always seemed to me to exacerbate the situation he found himself to be in. In my view Monty has a long memory for that sort of stuff and it has never served him particularly well.

Well purses aside, the US Tour is today considered still to be the pinnacle of golf. It may not always be that way and in fact I would be surprised if it stays that way if some things don’t change. I don’t know that he is holding a grudge against anybody that has anything to do with the Ryder Cup but I doubt he feels like he was often well treated this side of the pond and while he may have a point he always seemed to me to exacerbate the situation he found himself to be in. In my view Monty has a long memory for that sort of stuff and it has never served him particularly well.

You say the PGA Tour may not remain the pinnacle in golf, and some things need to change. That's interesting. Can you elaborate? I'm not being a smart ass. I actually think with the fall of Tiger we'll see a decrease in interest, a popping of the golf bubble so to speak, and purses could drop in a manner similar to real estate values. I see no way they can continue to grow in the current economy and suspect they need to retrace. That being said, if the PGA Tour struggles, I don't see another tour overtaking it. Unless you're suggesting a "World Tour".

Kevin

I wish the PGATour was a world tour. I think it would be much more exciting. Some of the courses played on the Euro tour are unreal. They are just boring to watch with bad commentators and crappys fields
You say the PGA Tour may not remain the pinnacle in golf, and some things need to change. That's interesting. Can you elaborate? I'm not being a smart ass. I actually think with the fall of Tiger we'll see a decrease in interest, a popping of the golf bubble so to speak, and purses could drop in a manner similar to real estate values. I see no way they can continue to grow in the current economy and suspect they need to retrace. That being said, if the PGA Tour struggles, I don't see another tour overtaking it. Unless you're suggesting a "World Tour".

Kevin

Back