Halloween team has been rocking it early!
4a3a5yze.jpg

I have a quick question for the other parents out there. I have a 4 year old girl who LOVES her cousins. The issue is that at family functions she ignores all her friends to hang out with her cousins. The problem is she gets a little rude about it. She won't let one of her friends sit next to her because she wants her cousin there and is vocal about it. Now granted, she is very close with her cousins and doesn't see many of these other friends very often, but her attitude is what bugs me. I've talked to her a few times about hurting other kids feelings, and including everyone in her games etc, but still I hear the "No! I don't want to play with you!" ..... Now, a parent kinda called my wife out on it, which I think is a bit ridiculous, but it's got me thinking, is my kid the only one? I remember seeing her friends ignoring her at their parties, too. I can imagine being surrounded by 10-15 friends at once in one place cvan be overwhelming, especially when you want to spend time with the people you're closest to.

Anyways, any opinions or insight? I just needed to vent a little.

Sounds like an oversensitive reaction on the part of the other parent.

Kids just don't have the social skills yet to handle every one of those situations like we would, so they end up coming off like jerks sometimes. Not to say it's not a good opportunity for you to teach her how to handle it, but she's little and what we would consider malicious from an adult is just a lack of knowing on her part.

I have a quick question for the other parents out there. I have a 4 year old girl who LOVES her cousins. The issue is that at family functions she ignores all her friends to hang out with her cousins. The problem is she gets a little rude about it. She won't let one of her friends sit next to her because she wants her cousin there and is vocal about it. Now granted, she is very close with her cousins and doesn't see many of these other friends very often, but her attitude is what bugs me. I've talked to her a few times about hurting other kids feelings, and including everyone in her games etc, but still I hear the "No! I don't want to play with you!" ..... Now, a parent kinda called my wife out on it, which I think is a bit ridiculous, but it's got me thinking, is my kid the only one? I remember seeing her friends ignoring her at their parties, too. I can imagine being surrounded by 10-15 friends at once in one place cvan be overwhelming, especially when you want to spend time with the people you're closest to.

Anyways, any opinions or insight? I just needed to vent a little.
So a parent went up to your wife and said "Your child is ignoring my child?" That's a bit ridiculous. Even more ridiculous if the parent told your wife that your child was being "rude". I wouldn't sweat it, besides, I see how close knit my wife is with her cousins ... I would foster those relationships above all else anyways.

The parent called my wife today to "bring the behavior to her attention". My wife is pretty diplomatic and handled it the right way, IMO. She apologized and acknowledged it happened, and basically said we're working on her manners, but she gets excited to see her cousins and she IS only 4 after all.

I just dont like being a parent who makes excuses for his kid. I see that too often, and it teaches children that their not accountable for their actions, if they get hip to it that their parent defends them even when they're wrong. But I just felt it was a bit much.

Sounds like an oversensitive reaction on the part of the other parent.

Kids just don't have the social skills yet to handle every one of those situations like we would, so they end up coming off like jerks sometimes. Not to say it's not a good opportunity for you to teach her how to handle it, but she's little and what we would consider malicious from an adult is just a lack of knowing on her part.

Me and my wife have agreed that this week is going to be "How to treat our friends nicely" week. It IS a perfect opportunity to make a lesson out of it.

Yep. The way they say things to each other always cracks me up. So direct.

The parent called my wife today to "bring the behavior to her attention". My wife is pretty diplomatic and handled it the right way, IMO. She apologized and acknowledged it happened, and basically said we're working on her manners, but she gets excited to see her cousins and she IS only 4 after all.

I just dont like being a parent who makes excuses for his kid. I see that too often, and it teaches children that their not accountable for their actions, if they get hip to it that their parent defends them even when they're wrong. But I just felt it was a bit much.
It is apparent to me that you aren't. You are working on it with a 4 year old. That's called solid parenting in my book. Different kids take to things at different paces. Don't sweat it, man.

I love reading through this thread. Our kids are college students and it brings back fond memories, and some memories of trying times. Kids learn by watching, emulating behaviors they are in the presence of. It's a natural instinct. Helicopter parents are a thing I don't understand. Parent who don't allow children to fail confuse me, and worse yet parent who let there children fail but aren't there to help them learn from the mistakes made. Parenting is the toughest job you'll ever have. Times will come when you sit back and wonder if anyone is listening. Then you'll be amazed the behavior you'll see when they're not at home. Good parent raise good kids to become good adults.

Backyard "camping" for the first time!

lAQFYUq.jpg

Mix up day at school today :)

OyBVQ8G.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So...we may need a 2nd gate for the 2nd door way into the kitchen

2548af74c8264354cc3ed71749b48ea6.jpg

Halloween cop

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1414805482696.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1414805482696.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 0
Just built this sweet cardboard castle for the kiddos.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1414975787012.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1414975787012.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 0
Haha! That is awesome!

I love seeing the little ones. Not enough to have anymore though lmao....

That thing is pretty awesome. I think I have enough boxes from the move I could do something similar.

Everyday I hear, daddy this or daddy that. It has become the single best thing I hear everyday.

It's pretty awesome except now I have this almost 7 foot tall castle taking up my living room. Definitely should have tried to come up with an easy break down and pop up design haha.

My 2 yr old started speech therapy a week ago. Our therapist is treating her for Apraxia but won't make the diagnosis. Keeping fingers crossed to see results sooner than later.

My 2 yr old started speech therapy a week ago. Our therapist is treating her for Apraxia but won't make the diagnosis. Keeping fingers crossed to see results sooner than later.

I hope all goes well and as planned.

It's been an absolutely brutal couple days at work. The wife knew I was in the dumps so she sent me this. God I love these two
943c142af7188334ae87d68f13cada4f.jpg

Back