Ping G20 Irons Review Thread

Gibbins1@sbcglobal.net

I'm fairly new to golf (6 months) and considering these. Being so new, forgiveness is pretty important to me. Can anyone comment on the forgiveness of these vs the g15's? I have multiple friends who swear by the 15's, but I'm intrigued by these and can't imagine they'd take a step back in that regard. Would greatly appreciate opinions!

They are both extremely forgiving clubs, both will do well for mid-high handicappers. The G20's do have a noticeable wider sole for added forgiveness. Try them both to see which ones you feel more comfortable with before deciding on one or the other.

Gibbins1@sbcglobal.net

I'm fairly new to golf (6 months) and considering these. Being so new, forgiveness is pretty important to me. Can anyone comment on the forgiveness of these vs the g15's? I have multiple friends who swear by the 15's, but I'm intrigued by these and can't imagine they'd take a step back in that regard. Would greatly appreciate opinions!

I have hit the K15's, G15's and G20's numerous times at both the driving range and Golf Galaxy's launch monitor and settled on the G20's primarily because of the smoother feel when you hit them. They all provided excellent accuracy on good hits and minimal distance loss on miss hits but the G20's have a nicer feel in my opinion. I believe it is due to the slightly thinner face and the dampening pads in the cavity. I also prefer the metal finish of the G20's to the others. The G20's are very forgiving, no less so than the G15's or K15's for that matter in my experience and the sole width is just perfect, not to wide like the K15's.

I have hit the K15's, G15's and G20's numerous times at both the driving range and Golf Galaxy's launch monitor and settled on the G20's primarily because of the smoother feel when you hit them. They all provided excellent accuracy on good hits and minimal distance loss on miss hits but the G20's have a nicer feel in my opinion. I believe it is due to the slightly thinner face and the dampening pads in the cavity. I also prefer the metal finish of the G20's to the others. The G20's are very forgiving, no less so than the G15's or K15's for that matter in my experience and the sole width is just perfect, not to wide like the K15's.

I liked the G15's, kinda liked the K15's, and really want to hit the G20's.

^^^^^^ I Tapped That ^^^^^^

It's nice to have some :ping: fans here!

I like PING, I just prefer the "i" series irons more than the "g" or the "k". That being said, I would hit these in a hot minute.

I agree. Tons of forgiveness, in a lot more versatile of an iron.

I like PING, I just prefer the "i" series irons more than the "g" or the "k". That being said, I would hit these in a hot minute.

I have 4 sets of irons that I acquired used and very affordably, G15's, Adams A7's, Mizuno MX-200's and Ping I5's. All outstanding sets of irons, and which have given me the opportunity to try out the different sets on my own time, out on the course during rounds, etc. Turf interaction is very interesting to see how it plays out, and while slicing through the turf with the triple-cut sole of the MX-200's is a thing of beauty, as a high handicapper, I can hit the ball fat and thin with with the MX-200's or any of my other irons. It boils down to a swing thing for me.

But in general, the G15's are very versatile, and once you get some rounds in with them and start grooving them, their forgiveness and performance are great. The G15's are my primary set of irons. This line is definitely worth a try, but having recently picked up the used set of the I5's (built by Ping with Nippon 950 shafts, great combo), those are incredibly sweet irons as well, just less forgiving than the G series obviously. Good luck to all of you trying the G20's.

Thanks for the input everyone! I swung the 15s and 20s yesterday and found the 15s slightly easier to swing. Both very forgiving, but to me, the extra weight in the club face on the 20s made me feel it took more effort to swing. I did love the 20s feel (or lack thereof) on mishits, but am leaning slightly toward the 15s for their ease of swinging.

Thanks for the review! I thouroughly enjoy hearing all of the great things that Ping has done with this line.

Great review JB! These sound like a solid offering from Ping with everything a hacker like me wound want & need. Thanks for the write up.

Tappin' from my iPad!

Wait a minute! High, straight, forgiving, nice feel, good distance control? Sounds like Ping have a winner on their hands here. Sure, I'm not going to love the look at address, but I'd like to give these a swing to see how they perform for me.

Nice review JB, enjoyed reading it. :D

You've got me interested after reading this. The consistent distance claim was one that I was most curious about with this line and it sounds like PING delivered on it. I like the look of the cavity and colors on this line better than the G15's. Great info, JB.

Awesome review JB. I am really intrigued by the CFS shaft. I hit it indoors and liked the feel but I want to see the ball flight

I just got a new set of G15s, which I opted for over the G20s because I was able to get such a good deal (contact Discount Dan's golf). Based on my testing, I think the g20s do have slight better feel, but the forgiveness is very similar between the two. Pings definitely do not look traditional, but with their custom fittings, durability, consistency, and overall performance I really don't think you can go wrong. Not to mention, the G15 driver is a freaking bomber...

Love everything I'm reading about these and JB's review was great. My only question is about working the ball vertically. Playing in the Chicago area ther are many occasions where knockdowns are required.

Love everything I'm reading about these and JB's review was great. My only question is about working the ball vertically. Playing in the Chicago area ther are many occasions where knockdowns are required.

You can flight them lower, however bringing them down for a full knockdown is not as easy as say a thinner profiled club with less mass behind the sweet spot.

I really liked the G15 irons but thought they still felt a little harsh however the G20's sound like they've corrected this issue without losing any distance. PING is making some good looking gear and slowly getting away from the 'boring and plain' look. Looking forward to hitting these soon. Great review JB!

JB,

Thanks for the review. I need to hit these again.
Question for you-are the CFS flighted?
Follow up question to that-did you have any issues getting the longer irons in the air?

Nice review! TBH I haven't really considered Pings in my upcoming iron search, but this new information as well as the extensive shaft lineup that Ping offers means I may have to look at these in addition to the new Cally's and Mizzy's. Oy, I'm getting overwhelmed!

JB,

Thanks for the review. I need to hit these again.
Question for you-are the CFS flighted?
Follow up question to that-did you have any issues getting the longer irons in the air?

Unless I am missing something, I do not believe they are.
I had no issues getting any of the irons up. None at all.

Great review JB. Loved the G15's and can't wait to give the G20's a try with this new shaft.

Unless I am missing something, I do not believe they are.
I had no issues getting any of the irons up. None at all.

Thanks, JB. These are certainly on my short list.

Solid review and a good review. Thanks for your hard work. Love the fact there is so much control packed into a distance iron. I've never been much of a Ping fan, but have liked the last two iron offerings quite a bit, more so the G20s.

Great review JB. Really excited to see these in person. Very intrigued about the shaft combo too. Sounds like a winner.

Back