Ping G20 Irons Review Thread

PHP:
Nice review JB. Thanks for reviewing these clubs.
At the moment there are almost too many GI irons to choose from.

Any comments on the grips?

/Paul

Nice review JB. Thanks for reviewing these clubs.
At the moment there are almost too many GI irons to choose from.

Any comments on the grips?

/Paul

Like most standard grips, they are what they are. Some will like them and others wont. They are about average in that regards.

Thanks for the reviw JB. It's always nice to have a confirmation from a better player that my choice of irons was the right one. The G20 Irons are awesome, my game is getting better every time I go out. I am constantly amazed how darn accurate these G20's are, high and like a laser guided missile!
I am especially enjoying the short game now 9 iron, pitching wedge and sand wedge, no regrets sticking with the G20's for my wedges!

Hey JB,

Can you compare these to the Cleveland Black and Mizuno JPX 800 HD offerings? Thanks.

Hey JB,

Can you compare these to the Cleveland Black and Mizuno JPX 800 HD offerings? Thanks.

Net yet in much detail to be honest. Within a few weeks I will be able to give a detailed offering though.

Good reviews JB! I am really enjoying them thus far.

Net yet in much detail to be honest. Within a few weeks I will be able to give a detailed offering though.

Thanks for the quick response as always. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts when you get the opportunity.

I hit these with many others, they did feel good, only turn off was price. Glad they are working for you JB

tapatalk addict....

I purchased the G20 irons graphite a couple of weeks ago. I am not a fan of the Ping look (never owned a Ping previously), but the G20 looks a lot better. The clubs are very forgiving and easy to hit. I was hitting the ball straighter and longer with solid contact with all clubs.....and I am not a consistent hitter especially with my longer irons. The clubs were fitted (adjusted grip, shaft length, flex, clubhead lie) which is one of the main reasons for improvement. Even with the thick topline, there is good feel when making contact.

Last edited:
Hi ..... GREAT STUFF on this site, I'm new here :) I'll update my profile tomorrow and go and introduce myself to the forum..... I just wanted to reply here, briefly on the G20's ....

I've never hit a ping club before, but went to a ping demo day today. I ordered a set of G20's and a K15 driver .... should be here near the end of next week WHOOOOOT !!!

Tomorrow I'll post up my fitting experience with the G20's and the comparison to the King Corbra's that I've been gaming with for the last 15 years ......

Glad to be here :)

JB,

Just wondering if you have had any more time with the G20's and additional thoughts???

Anyone else hitting these-how are you liking them?

Like I was saying yesterday .... I did the Ping Demo Day, and ordered some irons, 6-lw and a K15 driver. All with graphite shafts.
After my warm-up with my clubs, I went to the tent, and got started. We ended up with a standard lie (black dot) on the irons, std length shafts, and the K15 comes with like a 46.75" shaft or something like that .... anyways, nothing special about the setup of my clubs, pretty much stock and outta the box stuff.

My King Cobra's are the 2nd generation from about 2001 or 2002, so they are quite DATED in terms of game improvement irons. Back then they were 'the item' I still hit them good today, they got more in them than what game I have LOL maybe that's the problem, I can't get the game outta the clubs HAHAA

I only hit the Ping 7 iron, and what did I think of it, in a word, GIDDY UP !!
The ball flight is higher, longer, more on-line than what I hit with my Cobra's
Off center hits are better, on-line better, higher and just not as bad generally speaking.

The Pings are lighter than my Cobra's, and when you hit the ball it 'feels' so much 'softer' yet the ball rockets off the face.
Ping rep said that he thought maybe what I was describing was the 'forgiveness' of the club compared to the Cobra's, and having less 'harshness' fed back to the golfer

Generally speaking there is a FUN FACTOR in hitting these Ping irons ... it is so cool to see that ball trajectory compared to my Cobra's. Not that the Cobra's are 'bad' but it's only been in the last year that I've actually started to get some good height in my trajectory, and the Ping just makes it happen like magic WHOOOOT

Looking down on the club ... ok, yup, they have a thick top line, and a big fat foot and a funny looking back. But I don't hit the ball with the top line, the bottom or the funny looking back .... Each time I looked down at the club it was a thought in my mind .... I know that it will soon pass as I become accustomed to looking at it. My first impression was that I didn't care for the looks of ANY of the GI clubs, I like the traditional look ... but I can't hit the ball with 'looks' I need function. So I can easily adapt, and am already liking the way the club looks .... sorta get the 'feeling' looking down at the club that you 'KNOW' it's gonna get airborne !! How could it not, just look at the way the club sets up to the ball !

They should be here by the end of next week, I sure hope so !!
I need to go out and buy some new club gloves
I also need a new bag ..... of course it will have to be a Ping Bag !! Who knows, MAYBE I'll be chosen to be the Tester for the Ping Cart Bag, could happen :)

I feel victim to the Ping demo day at our club today. Ended up with the Ping G20 Driver in 9.5 degree's and the Tour 169 shaft, the G20 3W in the Tour FW shaft and the G20 irons in 4 thru UW, White Dot and surprisingly (for me) in graphite. I spent 2.5 hours with the rep and dialed each of these purchases into my specs, mainly just the shaft lengths and flexes for the woods. The iron fitting was surprising as I went up higher in lie than a typically had with Pings - yellow vs. white but the good part was that a turned a tight fade that has been common in my last few sets of irons into a tight draw that picked up 5 to 7 yards. 7 to 10 days out on the order so I have time to flea bay the old kit so I can pay for today.

CONGRATULATIONS !!!!

LOL, fell victim !!! HAHAHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

You'll have to BE SURE to let us know your experiences after you get them and put them into play !!!

CONGRATULATIONS !!!!

You'll have to BE SURE to let us know your experiences after you get them and put them into play !!!

Good luck with your new PING's - great great stuff.

I feel victim to the Ping demo day at our club today. Ended up with the Ping G20 Driver in 9.5 degree's and the Tour 169 shaft, the G20 3W in the Tour FW shaft and the G20 irons in 4 thru UW, White Dot and surprisingly (for me) in graphite. I spent 2.5 hours with the rep and dialed each of these purchases into my specs, mainly just the shaft lengths and flexes for the woods. The iron fitting was surprising as I went up higher in lie than a typically had with Pings - yellow vs. white but the good part was that a turned a tight fade that has been common in my last few sets of irons into a tight draw that picked up 5 to 7 yards. 7 to 10 days out on the order so I have time to flea bay the old kit so I can pay for today.

I hope they work out well for you! Good luck!

CONGRATULATIONS !!!!

Will do and thanks. I almost went in for the Anser 5 but I was already pushing my luck with my wife as it was with the current order. Enjoy

I hope they work out well for you! Good luck!

Thanks. The 3W was a nice find. I hit the 4W with the regular shaft when it first came out and didn't get along with it however the Tour shaft brought the ball flight down and tightened up the flight pattern nicely, I could also get a little butt into it without fear of losing left.

Thanks. The 3W was a nice find. I hit the 4W with the regular shaft when it first came out and didn't get along with it however the Tour shaft brought the ball flight down and tightened up the flight pattern nicely, I could also get a little butt into it without fear of losing left.

Nice - good to hear that. Controlling that fear is huge with a fairway wood to me.

My new Ping G20's WHOOOOT

My new Ping G20's WHOOOOT

OW, talk about FAST SERVICE WOOOOOT
I ordered my Pings last Wed. and yesterday I was on the range with my old clubs and the Asst. Pro came out to the range and informed me that my new Pings just came in WAHOOOOOOO !!!

I know you all have seen pictures, but you haven't seen mine LOL so here's a few pics that I took.

IMG_8474.jpg

IMG_8473.jpg

IMG_8472.jpg

IMG_8475.jpg

IMG_8475.jpg

omikey,

Keep us posted on how you like them. I'm in full ponder mode on these right now.

good pickup omikey! keep us posted on how your game progresses as you get comfy with these

omikey,

Keep us posted on how you like them. I'm in full ponder mode on these right now.

good pickup omikey! keep us posted on how your game progresses as you get comfy with these

OK Then, I had been mulling over just what I was gonna do about posting up my experience with these. But now that I know peeps what me to share my findings, I will, I'll try to do a good job, be objective, try to stay on point and all that.

I took them to the range today, so I'll post that up and I have a lesson with the Club Pro tomorrow morning, oh boy ! So tomorrow afternoon/evening I'll let you know how that went.

OK Then, I had been mulling over just what I was gonna do about posting up my experience with these. But now that I know peeps what me to share my findings, I will, I'll try to do a good job, be objective, try to stay on point and all that.

I took them to the range today, so I'll post that up and I have a lesson with the Club Pro tomorrow morning, oh boy ! So tomorrow afternoon/evening I'll let you know how that went.

Good luck with them- hope the range time went well today!

Thanks GH .... let's just say (without giving a full report) that overall it was worth the experience. I learned more than I expected, AND, I had FUN with the new G20's GIDDY UP !!!!

Good luck with them- hope the range time went well today!

Back