PING i230 Irons and iCrossover

These have been a big time ponder for me. I’m thinking of getting out of another hobby I’m in which would leave me with some cash for irons. Thinking of demoing them when I go to pick up my wedges. Has anyone compared these to the ZX7s?

I tried them recently and shot a best ever round of 74, but…I was putting lights out that round.

Re the i230s - really like them, but I feel they spun too much for me. 9 irons were backing up 20 feet. Felt that with the spin, I was giving up a club in distance. I think my game is better suited for something like a Srixon ZX 5, so I am going to give them a shot.

The i230s are really, really great irons. I wish they had worked for me.

I have played both these and the gen 1 ZX7 ( in the bag at the moment)

They are both great irons, I would give the nod to the zx7 mainly due to short iron performance. I het better results with the zx7 also there is the age old endo forged feel/ sound. I think the zx7 look better in the bag. Neither look good behind the ball to me ( a bit chunky) so that is a wash.

I suffered from too much spin on the i230 in the short irons. Sucking back 9 irons off the green. Lost about a club of distance. However, in the long iron the extra spin kept them in the air forever and would get nice and high. Never had so many soft landing long irons as I have with these. I am thinking about sending my set back to ping and getting powerspec bent into them and some x100 awt put in.

Both great irons, but for me sot perfect. I think both would make a amazing middle section of a 3 part blended set.

They are both great irons, I would give the nod to the zx7 mainly due to short iron performance. I het better results with the zx7 also there is the age old endo forged feel/ sound. I think the zx7 look better in the bag. Neither look good behind the ball to me ( a bit chunky) so that is a wash.

I suffered from too much spin on the i230 in the short irons. Sucking back 9 irons off the green. Lost about a club of distance. However, in the long iron the extra spin kept them in the air forever and would get nice and high. Never had so many soft landing long irons as I have with these. I am thinking about sending my set back to ping and getting powerspec bent into them and some x100 awt put in.

Both great irons, but for me sot perfect. I think both would make a amazing middle section of a 3 part blended set.
The reports of spin make me nervous. I’m definitely a high spin player which haunted me in my apex pros

I have definitely lost about a half club distance with these irons over my previous 2 sets I played last year. I’m still not sure if it’s the heads or the shaft I have in them. I did hit a buddies 8 iron that had a heavier steel shaft and feel was more solid and distance was up. Maybe I just get a long with heavier shafts a little bit more. Still like the irons and not giving up on them for this year

I tried them recently and shot a best ever round of 74, but…I was putting lights out that round.

Re the i230s - really like them, but I feel they spun too much for me. 9 irons were backing up 20 feet. Felt that with the spin, I was giving up a club in distance. I think my game is better suited for something like a Srixon ZX 5, so I am going to give them a shot.

The i230s are really, really great irons. I wish they had worked for me.

Power spec? Another shaft?

I have definitely lost about a half club distance with these irons over my previous 2 sets I played last year. I’m still not sure if it’s the heads or the shaft I have in them. I did hit a buddies 8 iron that had a heavier steel shaft and feel was more solid and distance was up. Maybe I just get a long with heavier shafts a little bit more. Still like the irons and not giving up on them for this year

I've learned all about lowering my dynamic loft since getting the i230s. :LOL:

Picking up yardage.

Reactions: MH

the long irons are unreal. I got mine with the project x LS. Also went to a ball that spins a touch less and now I get the drop and stop with irons which is what I prefer

the long irons are unreal. I got mine with the project x LS. Also went to a ball that spins a touch less and now I get the drop and stop with irons which is what I prefer
Yeah I was thinking about that shaft too.

Well after a short stint with the tours the i23” are back in the bag! I just absolutely seem to flush these. I don’t know why but they just work for me. Not my favorite to look down on but not bad. They do look good in the bag though! I guess I’m a Ping guy now lol

Mizuno Pro 223 would be a good direction...;)
I wanted to love my 223s so much but I just couldn’t get along with them

I was the same way
The turf interaction was awful and the sweet spot felt like it was the size of a pencil tip

The turf interaction was awful and the sweet spot felt like it was the size of a pencil tip

I haven't had those issues, but I did find that I can't come in too steep -- they do have sufficient bounce, and the trailing edge does have a bit of a grind but must shallow out the swing to get them working well. I haven't had an issue hitting center. Of course, I owned the i59's previously which I gave to my son and they were smaller and a thinner sole.

My guess is the i230s did not fit your swing. It happens.

Lots of choices out there - Mizuno Hot Metal Pro has more forgiveness and not much offset - nice.

I haven't had those issues, but I did find that I can't come in too steep -- they do have sufficient bounce, and the trailing edge does have a bit of a grind but must shallow out the swing to get them working well. I haven't had an issue hitting center. Of course, I owned the i59's previously which I gave to my son and they were smaller and a thinner sole.

My guess is the i230s did not fit your swing. It happens.

Lots of choices out there - Mizuno Hot Metal Pro has more forgiveness and not much offset - nice.
The i230s or the 223s? I’ve been pondering the i230s. I was planning on swinging them when I pick up my wedges next week

The i230s or the 223s? I’ve been pondering the i230s. I was planning on swinging them when I pick up my wedges next week

Sorry, I was eating and misread your post. I did have the 223's last year and am having more success with the i230's. I do find the i230's are easier and have more bounce and a slightly wider sole than the 223 albeit with a slight trailing edge grind.

Even changing to new swing patterns, I can reel off 8-10 shots with the i230's without missing a beat. I do need to come in slightly shallow - the V swing doesn't work. The slight U angle of attack works better. But I'm changing swing patterns and the U swing gives more room to hit a great shot.

I did go power specs - the i230's go high and most seem to want the power specs or some are sending in the i230's to Ping for adjustment.

I went with the Dart 90 Tapers - they are not on the website list - you must ask what's available. They also have a soft feel with the graphite shafts.

I am still getting acquainted with the i230's but they are promising. I plan on keeping them for some time.

Sorry, I was eating and misread your post. I did have the 223's last year and am having more success with the i230's. I do find the i230's are easier and have more bounce and a slightly wider sole than the 223 albeit with a slight trailing edge grind.

Even changing to new swing patterns, I can reel off 8-10 shots with the i230's without missing a beat.

I did go power specs - the i230's go high and most seem to want the power specs or some are sending in the i230's to Ping for adjustment.

I went with the Dart 90 Tapers - they are not on the website list - you must ask what's available. They also have a soft feel with the graphite shafts.

I am still getting acquainted with the i230's but they are promising. I plan on keeping them for some time.
Good to know. I think I would get the power specs just to knock down the spin a bit. I was thinking LS shafts or just getting the DG120 and put graphite in down the road

Good to know. I think I would get the power specs just to knock down the spin a bit. I was thinking LS shafts or just getting the DG120 and put graphite in down the road

the ls are definitely worth it imo. I tried the 120 and the ls helped knock down spin a bit. I like the spin and haven’t had a problem with distance others have had. I did not get power specs either and I’m steep

the ls are definitely worth it imo. I tried the 120 and the ls helped knock down spin a bit. I like the spin and haven’t had a problem with distance others have had. I did not get power specs either and I’m steep
I’ll probably just demo an off the rack build next week. If they don’t work I could probably get away with PX LS 6.0 or Modus 105 X stiff

I think my angle of attack with the i230 varies from 3-4. I am taking a divot and getting less dynamic loft for more distance. So the Ping bounce does assist.

I am ingraining new swing pattens so I've got to watch the too steep.

another great round for the i230s. Another plus is no bag chatter yet!

Played 9 today near Miami (business). I've picked up a full club with the i230's - maybe it's my swing changes but I enjoy the soft and powerful feel.

Back