JRod

Reaction score
Handicap
4.2 USGA
So recently I was fortunate enough to play in the Morgan Cup at Reunion Resort and a practice round at Grand Cypress. Playing these layouts made me realize what golf was supposed to be about. Reunion while not overly challenging was a great layout with plenty of bunker hazards (Only gripe being lack of water.) and "native" bushes that like to swallow your ball. Grand Cypress is just a beast. Amazing design with some serious trouble everywhere.

So now I'm back in Iowa and realize the amount of money I pay to play total crap. It's rather depressing honestly. The only fear around here is the 10 yard wide fairways lined with 200 year old trees. If you drive the ball well you will score well. The only course even remotely well designed around here is a Private CC and a TPC course that wants 85$ a round. Something I refuse to pay and quite frankly couldn't even afford. Once again there is no water even in play, other than the river on one par 3 and a lake on 18.

I really don't even have a point to this post other than I really don't understand why I pay 40$ a round to play total crap. LAst time I had played in Florida I was 16 and forgot what a good course was like.

Now I am left wanting. I apologize for my long winded cryfest but it's really bothering me. Just another reason to leave this god awful area.

Apologies again as this post really has no point, I just needed to get it off my chest.

Good rant my silent ninja friend.
Moving to FL?

So recently I was fortunate enough to play in the Morgan Cup at Reunion Resort and a practice round at Grand Cypress. Playing these layouts made me realize what golf was supposed to be about. Reunion while not overly challenging was a great layout with plenty of bunker hazards (Only gripe being lack of water.) and "native" bushes that like to swallow your ball. Grand Cypress is just a beast. Amazing design with some serious trouble everywhere.

So now I'm back in Iowa and realize the amount of money I pay to play total crap. It's rather depressing honestly. The only fear around here is the 10 yard wide fairways lined with 200 year old trees. If you drive the ball well you will score well. The only course even remotely well designed around here is a Private CC and a TPC course that wants 85$ a round. Something I refuse to pay and quite frankly couldn't even afford. Once again there is no water even in play, other than the river on one par 3 and a lake on 18.

I really don't even have a point to this post other than I really don't understand why I pay 40$ a round to play total crap. LAst time I had played in Florida I was 16 and forgot what a good course was like.

Now I am left wanting. I apologize for my long winded cryfest but it's really bothering me. Just another reason to leave this god awful area.

Apologies again as this post really has no point, I just needed to get it off my chest.

I know how you feel. I am blessed to have a student rate at ASU Karsten otherwise I would be playing courses that are short, straight, and wide open with no hazards. I am glad you got to play in the MC though hopefully soon you can get another chance to play some challenging courses. If youre ever in my neck of the woods give me a shout and I would love to take you for a round.

I actually enjoyed the post because I feel the same way. I need to get down to Florida for an outing. Maybe 2013?

Good rant my silent ninja friend.
Moving to FL?

Yep we will be moving hopefully by next winter, but for sure by the summer after. We are looking either in Florida down closer to the gulf or Eastern TN or Western NC, round TC's neck of the woods.

Ha. That's a very typical feeling after heading to fl and coming back buddy.

Posted via Tapatalk

I feel for you JRod. Hard to imagine not having options galore like we do here. Pro's and con's everywhere I suppose. Sounds like it is time to head south buddy!

Tappin' from my iPad!

Ha. That's a very typical feeling after heading to fl and coming back buddy.

Posted via Tapatalk

Yah I figured you would understand, just strange that you never brought it up because honestly I don't even feel like playing here now.

Yah I figured you would understand, just strange that you never brought it up because honestly I don't even feel like playing here now.

I never do for awhile after, but you deal with what you have I guess. Going to new places helps since you at least can hope its a good course. I like the one im playing sunday. Fairly easy, but still interesting at least.

Posted via Tapatalk

That's why I'm always glad/thankful for when we play down there and why we always try to play the best courses we can find. I love Florida can't wait to move there one day..

JB want to take me in? :D

I hear you man. There is a crappy 9 hole course 10 minutes from me and we used to pay 8 bucks($15 over 21 years old) for greens fees and just use a friends cart and go play as much as we want to. Well some new people came in, same crappy course but now its $35 for green fees PLUS $10 for cart. $45 bucks for a crappy 9 hole course. Its freaking ridiculous. Not to mention its $55 on the weekends. There is an 18 hole course 15 minutes from me thats $45 but still pricey considering the greens are terrible. I hate it, but nothing I can do about it. Perhaps I should get a weekend job there so I can play for free.

Honestly I dont think there is anywhere that compares to Florida for golf courses, so it's very understandable after what you just went through. Here in Texas we have ever kind of course imaginable from the "cow pasture with cups in it" to very lush well groomed courses. The only real issue is price....a lot of the better courses are going to set you back $75 or more a round and that can get expensive.

I felt the same way after the outing when I got back here to KC. But at least there are some courses around here that I do enjoy playing, so that helps!

I know how you feel, while on our honey moon we played a round in CA and I've played rounds in FL before. Compared to those warmer climates the courses in MD are a lot of crap. I think it's largely because of the weather and that they don't go through a snowy winter period. There are plenty of courses here I enjoy, but they just are different.

Silent Ninja is on the move. You should bring Hawk with you wherever you go.

I know how you feel, while on our honey moon we played a round in CA and I've played rounds in FL before. Compared to those warmer climates the courses in MD are a lot of crap. I think it's largely because of the weather and that they don't go through a snowy winter period. There are plenty of courses here I enjoy, but they just are different.

I agree but alot of the courses around here are actually in great shape they are just stupid. Drive ball between trees, hit on green, putt. There is no course management involved. I found myself checking the yardages on every hole in FL seeing what it would take to carry what, remain short of this, and cut off this.

Here it's just bombs away. Keep it out of the trees and you're golden.

I feel like an idiot even making this thread and whining but the more I think about it the more it, frankly, pisses me off. Heh.

I drive the ball so straight with the RAZR Hawk I guarantee if I put my mind to it I could drop my HC 5 points down here just staying out of the trees. Theres nothing else to even worry about.

I think a good design is something that doesn't try to do too much. My favorite courses are the ones that incorporate the natural structure of the land into their design. A good course can be anywhere, but I hate when places try to stick, for example's sake, a Florida course in NJ. That is what leads to bad courses IMO.

---
- I wish golf was as easy as Tapatalk.

That would be rough to live in an area like that. It will take me a few years to tap into all of the courses that the Phoenix Metropolitan area has to offer. I don't know how anyone can live in this area and not play golf.

I'm waiting for you JRod! Good courses and cheap too bro. Plus you get me. We can get together and watch Lee Westwood highlights.

tapatalk: even available for lefties!

I'm waiting for you JRod! Good courses and cheap too bro. Plus you get me. We can get together and watch Lee Westwood highlights.

You two together would be bad news

No way. This area is littered with all types of courses. I have some that favor bombers and plenty that don't. Plus I have connections and I can get the ninja on courses that are second to none. And he'd be a wicked scramble partner.

No way. This area is littered with all types of courses. I have some that favor bombers and plenty that don't. Plus I have connections and I can get the ninja on courses that are second to none. And he'd be a wicked scramble partner.

Thats what I mean, people would be scared of you guys.

Thats what I mean, people would be scared of you guys.

We are scary guys aren't we. All tall and hairy.

We are scary guys aren't we. All tall and hairy.

With crazy golf games, I wouldn't play you too in a scramble. Jrods length and TC's short game! Killer

With crazy golf games, I wouldn't play you too in a scramble. Jrods length and TC's short game! Killer

I thought the same thing about Jrod and JB dude.

Back