I have found good golf courses all over the country (except Alaska) with some really good deals. Some of the western states require some long drives between courses though. Oh yeah, I have found some not so good courses in a lot of states including Florida as well. I like a several courses in Florida a lot but most of my favorites are scattered all around the country.

Maybe you could find some better courses within a couple of hours of your location then get your golf fix several times a year that way along with the occasional trip south thrown in. Also, the northeast is a good golf area, lots of wonderful courses in a relatively small area but everything, including golf, is more expensive there.

Bottom line: You don't have to go to Florida to find a good golf course, except maybe in the winter.

The number and variety of golf courses in this nation is amazing. I'm betting there is a good course in Alaska as well and will let you know next year about this time.

Last edited:
So recently I was fortunate enough to play in the Morgan Cup at Reunion Resort and a practice round at Grand Cypress. Playing these layouts made me realize what golf was supposed to be about. Reunion while not overly challenging was a great layout with plenty of bunker hazards (Only gripe being lack of water.) and "native" bushes that like to swallow your ball. Grand Cypress is just a beast. Amazing design with some serious trouble everywhere.

So now I'm back in Iowa and realize the amount of money I pay to play total crap. It's rather depressing honestly. The only fear around here is the 10 yard wide fairways lined with 200 year old trees. If you drive the ball well you will score well. The only course even remotely well designed around here is a Private CC and a TPC course that wants 85$ a round. Something I refuse to pay and quite frankly couldn't even afford. Once again there is no water even in play, other than the river on one par 3 and a lake on 18.

I really don't even have a point to this post other than I really don't understand why I pay 40$ a round to play total crap. LAst time I had played in Florida I was 16 and forgot what a good course was like.

Now I am left wanting. I apologize for my long winded cryfest but it's really bothering me. Just another reason to leave this god awful area.

Apologies again as this post really has no point, I just needed to get it off my chest.

Plus in FL the greens are roughly twice the size making GIR stats for a Floridian a little suspicious :alien: I swear a GIR up here in New England oughta count for double with the postage stamps we play to.

Plus in FL the greens are roughly twice the size making GIR stats for a Floridian a little suspicious :alien: I swear a GIR up here in New England oughta count for double with the postage stamps we play to.

My home course has water in play on 17/18 holes. I'll trade you that for smaller greens...LOL.

My home course has water in play on 17/18 holes. I'll trade you that for smaller greens...LOL.

Hmmm, maybe I'll stick with my little greens :D

I didn't mean Florida specifically I just meant well designed courses. They don't exist around here except for maybe two or three. One you can't get on and the other I can't afford.

Trust me TC I can't get out of here fast enough bro. Soon as the house is gone so are we.

I didn't mean Florida specifically I just meant well designed courses. They don't exist around here except for maybe two or three. One you can't get on and the other I can't afford.

Trust me TC I can't get out of here fast enough bro. Soon as the house is gone so are we.

Can't Hawk buy it, so we can golf and party?

Maybe, I will even give him a THP discount.

haha! Dude, I hope everything works out well for you and the wifey. I need a golfing buddy around here that's not named Calloway.

Good luck on the sale, JRod. How is the market there? We tried to sell a couple years ago, and everyone wanted the foreclosures. We didn't want to give it away, and we didn't HAVE to sell, so we're waiting for about 4 or 5 more years until the market comes back (at least some!).

Good luck on the sale, JRod. How is the market there? We tried to sell a couple years ago, and everyone wanted the foreclosures. We didn't want to give it away, and we didn't HAVE to sell, so we're waiting for about 4 or 5 more years until the market comes back (at least some!).

It was affected but not nearly as much as the rest of the country. Housing values haven't gone down too much and people are still buying. About the only good thing around here.

haha! Dude, I hope everything works out well for you and the wifey. I need a golfing buddy around here that's not named Calloway.

I hear yah dude. I only play with Hawk. I had a decent group Saturday in the past but recently took a job where I had to start working on Saturdays so that went kaput.

It was affected but not nearly as much as the rest of the country. Housing values haven't gone down too much and people are still buying. About the only good thing around here.

Good for you guys. Our values went down to about $1,000 more than what they were when I bought the house in 2003. I was almost $30,000 ahead in 2007 before it all hit the fan.

Good for you guys. Our values went down to about $1,000 more than what they were when I bought the house in 2003. I was almost $30,000 ahead in 2007 before it all hit the fan.

Yuck, I hope it picks back up.

Stupid Jrod. If you leave I'm going to haunt you. I'll put termites in your basement!

Stupid Jrod. If you leave I'm going to haunt you. I'll put termites in your basement!

TC and I are gonna start a cult and get a compound.

Golf has to be a little pricier in colder climates. Sounds like I'll be in the minority here. I've enjoyed playing golf in FL immensely when I've gotten the chance, yet prefer to play here in WI. Courses in FL are too flat in many cases, and that begins to bother me. I also prefer bent grass to bermuda. Of course WI is blessed with a plethora of quality golf courses. The glaciers made sure we have lots of land ideally suited to building fantastic golf courses. Not cheap, though.

The heat would wear on me, too. As nice as it would be to play golf year round, I love the change of seasons, and there is nothing better than playing golf on a glorious Fall day at 60-65*. My favorite time of the year.

Kevin

Golf has to be a little pricier in colder climates. Sounds like I'll be in the minority here. I've enjoyed playing golf in FL immensely when I've gotten the chance, yet prefer to play here in WI. Courses in FL are too flat in many cases, and that begins to bother me. I also prefer bent grass to bermuda. Of course WI is blessed with a plethora of quality golf courses. The glaciers made sure we have lots of land ideally suited to building fantastic golf courses. Not cheap, though.

The heat would wear on me, too. As nice as it would be to play golf year round, I love the change of seasons, and there is nothing better than playing golf on a glorious Fall day at 60-65*. My favorite time of the year.

Kevin

Down here we get a week of that and then its 15 and snowing.

Down here we get a week of that and then its 15 and snowing.

I didn't say we got a lot of days like that. lol. I don't know, man, I can think of 30 golf courses within 1 hour of me that meet your criteria. They range in price from $40 to $400. That's riding. The quality would vary, obviously, but that's true anywhere. When we talked about a Morgan Cup Reunion, I immediately though of 5 golf course within 40 minutes of Milwaukee. Two are munis, one a Nicklaus, another a Palmer, and a resort that offers a Trevino, a Player, and a Palmer.

But it does get cold for five months.

Kevin

Yoiu guys have great golf up there. Again I don't mean this is a Florida specific thing I just used the courses we just played as an example. I'm simply stating that the golf in this specific area is expensive and crappy.

Stop it! JRod's coming down to my neck of the woods and that's that. LOL

AQ, I feel you. I came down here for a cousins wedding and I ended up buying a house. I think the cost and playability has something to do with all the courses down here as well. Don't get me wrong there are some goat tracks here too but they're not going to charge you an arm and a leg to play it. Think of it like Vegas hotels... there's just so many that they're fighting for the same dollar and to get that dollar they have to either get a better facility, charge less, and/or both. The heat you'll get used to and half the time if you're working here you're in AC anyway. I always told folks that if you can get a decent paying job here and you can stand the slower pace then it's a great place to live. It also helps that we don't pay a state income tax either.

Good luck with the sell and maybe we'll see you in a couple of years.

JRod,

You should check out Mooresville, NC. We are about 30 mins from Charlotte and have a lake. You can golf year round here too.

I think we have some nice courses, but we tend to get stuck in town playing the crappy ones.

I think we have some nice courses, but we tend to get stuck in town playing the crappy ones.

Spirit Hollow, Brown Deer and ????? I'm being serious here and trying to brainstorm. Finkbine was a real letdown. Pretty awful course IMO.

Back