Preferred course length?

Anything north of 6700. I like 7k. I played a 7200, last year...loved every minute of it.

I've stretched out to 7400+, it's a lot of work. I'm comfortable at 7200 to 6800

I'm right here. Short courses make it harder for me actually. I love bombing a few drives on some holes and with my length, short par 4s are extremely boring.

Going after a 550y par 5 in 2 or even having to play a 5 iron into a par 4 gets me going.

Hitting irons off the tee on every par 4 gets quite tiresome.

I'm quite happy at 6300-6500, can go longer, but I prefer not to.

Here at a mile high most of the courses I'm playing at from 7,100 - 7,400 yards. I like playing from the back tees no matter the altitude because that allows me the widest variety of shots, more mid to long irons (not just driver and short iron/wedge on par 4s), to hit the driver a bunch and is more challenging in general.

You know whats funny, I never took time and really paid attention to the yardage as a whole. Mind you this is probably my first "real" season as a golfer but never really thought twice.
(obviously I realize if a course is way longer or way shorter then what I normally play).

I went back and looked at some of the courses i played this year and it seems like everything I played is right around 6500.

A course that I played once, shot great, I thought it played very short and was still a bit north of that 6300. and a course I thought played long was 6100 so Im about as clueless as you get.

6800 is a comfortable length for me but when I go to a new course I look at the distance of the longest par 3 if the blacks have one at 220 and the blues at 210 I will play the blues and not be concerned with the total length of the course.

6300 to 6800 for me. Although, I have played shorter courses and shot scores just as high. :bulgy-eyes:

My preference is around 6200, but anything in the 5800-6500 is playable, not ready for anything longer than 6500 yet. Some guys I play with want to go to the tips and I say go ahead, but I wont tee up there. Hopefully in the future.

6200-6600 is pretty much what I shoot for when looking at tee boxes at the course. I can go longer but if I'm driving terrible then it becomes a real struggle. I despise 200 plus long par 3's regardless of course length.

When I get my game straightened out I suspect I will start pushing back the yardages.

I like keeping it 6500 and under myself.

All depends on how its broken down but I like to limit the long par 4s over 450yards to limit the long iron/hybrid approaches since that's the worst part of my game lol. My comfortable yardage is anything under 7200.

I don't have a given distance I prefer beyond that the harder the course the more I like it, so longer is better. My rule of thumb is that if there is more than 2 or 3 par 4s over 450 yards I'll likely tee it forward. Not always, but usually. I have to feel able to hit every GIR with few exceptions. So before I'll go to a new course I'll look it up and decide there.

I don't have a given distance I prefer beyond that the harder the course the more I like it, so longer is better. My rule of thumb is that if there is more than 2 or 3 par 4s over 450 yards I'll likely tee it forward. Not always, but usually. I have to feel able to hit every GIR with few exceptions. So before I'll go to a new course I'll look it up and decide there.

Same here oiler. I'll pull up the scorecard and get a feel for how many approach shots I'll be forced to play with my hybrid/long irons. If I'll be stuck with approaches like that all day long, I'll move up. Typically I'll end up playing between the 6500 and 7000 yards, but some courses are really sneaky on how they tack the yards on

6,500 is very good. 6,800 is doable. I haven't tried 7k yet.

I do need to play a round from the front tees. Just for the experience and course management practice.

You and I are going to get along really well I imagine.

I am most comfortable on a course. You just point me to the tees and I will start swinging away. I really don't have a set of distances I prefer over the other.

Same here oiler. I'll pull up the scorecard and get a feel for how many approach shots I'll be forced to play with my hybrid/long irons. If I'll be stuck with approaches like that all day long, I'll move up. Typically I'll end up playing between the 6500 and 7000 yards, but some courses are really sneaky on how they tack the yards on

Ya. Some just lengthen each hole a bit, whereas some will do it mainly on 3s and 4s or just 5s. 600+ par 5s don't bother me, but 500 par 4s or 250 pars 3s are excessive to me.

I really enjoy 6,400-6,000. More than that is still fine with the right company but pars get a little more challenging.

Ya. Some just lengthen each hole a bit, whereas some will do it mainly on 3s and 4s or just 5s. 600+ par 5s don't bother me, but 500 par 4s or 250 pars 3s are excessive to me.

Nailed it! Gonna layup anyway on anything longer that 525 anyway.

6500-6600yds is where I play mostly. Have played longer on occasion and depending on the course I don't really score any different, maybe a shot or two worse depending.

I prefer to be in the 6300 range, not much long than that. I like to be able to reach greens in regulation

6,500 yards is a good number for me, although, from time to time I like to change it up for fun.

6200-7000. That covers a large spectrum but yardages can be really misleading. You can play a long course and it play short because of a couple gimmicky holes or a short course play really long because of having to lay up short of hazards etc.

This is something I've never really paid attention to. I am going to start, but I've just gone and played whatever the folks I was playing with were playing so far.

6200-7000. That covers a large spectrum but yardages can be really misleading. You can play a long course and it play short because of a couple gimmicky holes or a short course play really long because of having to lay up short of hazards etc.

Pretty good thought there buddy. I've played some "short" courses that had some brutally long par 4s but the 3s were tiny to compensate.

Back