Preferred course length?

6000 works for me. Once in a while, I will try 6300. Gotta practice sometimes on lengthy courses because that seems to be the yardage for THP events.

Pretty good thought there buddy. I've played some "short" courses that had some brutally long par 4s but the 3s were tiny to compensate.

Yep, played some of those way too many times. The other favorite is when you see a par 5 that's really short and it makes you think you have a chance to get there in two with just a drive in the fairway. You get there, and it's next to impossible cause of hole design.

Yep, played some of those way too many times. The other favorite is when you see a par 5 that's really short and it makes you think you have a chance to get there in two with just a drive in the fairway. You get there, and it's next to impossible cause of hole design.

Lol. Hello El Campeon.

Anything around 6500 is fine with me. Would like to try a over 7000. Only problem is not any close to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've played Bethpage Black from the Championship tee's directly after the US Open. They were set just over 7000. Fit my game just about right and couldn't see go much longer. Normally I tend to play in the range of 6500 - 6900 yards.

When I'm playing good I tend to have fun and score the best with a distance of around 6700-6900 yards. I've played well up to the 7200 range, but it's just sooooo long that it's not usally AS fun.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

I prefer to play courses between 6000 - 6400 yards. Longer than 6400 then I won't be getting on in regulation on some holes which is fine but I wouldn't like to do that every time I play. I do not have a home course, I like to play a variety but do have a few favorites.

I never really thought about course yardage until I hit my mid 40's. I'd just hit the ball until it went in the hole. Now I'd say if I'm swinging marginally decent a 6800-6900 yd par 72 seems pretty comfortable to me. Longest I've ever played was a 7390 par 72 where the back 9 was 3825 yds. Can't say I "enjoyed" that back nine, but playing a course from the tips is something I like to do every once in a while just to do it, though I probably won't break 90 doing it.

Last edited:
Anything around 6000-6500 is good. My home course is 6400 from the blues.

6400-6600 is what I like to play for a par 72.

When choosing tees to play at an unknown course, total distance is about the last thing I consider. First I look at rating/slope. Generally, rating is how difficult the course is for a scratch golfer, slope is how much more difficult the course is for a bogie golfer with 113 meaning it is about the same for both groups. I'm looking for approximate ratings 70-72 and slopes 125-135.

The second thing I look at is the length of par 3s, then the length of par 4's. If there are two or more par 3s over 225 or more than one or two par 4s over 450 then I move up to shorter tees.

The majority of courses that I have played range from just over 6,000 to around 6,500yds, although there is one local course that has hosted the English Seniors Open, which plays to 7,900yds from those tournament tees..... :beat-up:

6300 is just about perfect for me. Can do 6,500, assuming it doesn't get all it's length from long par 4's.

6300 is just about perfect for me. Can do 6,500, assuming it doesn't get all it's length from long par 4's.

With you there, Hawk. 6,300 is usually plenty long for me. If I'm driving the ball really well, it will seem shorter, but won't be too punishing if I can't get off the tee at all.

With you there, Hawk. 6,300 is usually plenty long for me. If I'm driving the ball really well, it will seem shorter, but won't be too punishing if I can't get off the tee at all.

Gives me some short irons and wedges in, which makes the game more fun.

I kind of agree with this. I'm long enough off the tee for most length courses, but I want to play courses where there are at least some green light opportunities when you hit a good drive. Also, length isn't everything. I've played courses that are so tight or dog leg filled that you cannot hit driver. That's not so much fun either.

So, depending on course design, I'm happy playing anything from 6,200 to 7,000. If driver is a smart play about 10 times a round, 6500 to 6800 is just fine. That's why I like Arnold Palmer courses so much, he always gives you a chance off the tee.

I'm a huge AP fan too. Always gives you a chance and often gives you the opportunity to get a better look by risking it.

for competitive rounds I prefer over 7k . you can have a decent game and score on a short course if you have a good short game but if you cant accurately hit tee shots and mid irons you will struggle. it take a more well rounded game to compete over 7k

Absolutely agree. Also makes you think a bit more off of the tee. Bomb it and have a half shot in. Lay up and have a full shot in. Shank it and have a really long shot in :)

:act-up:I'm all about casual golf..6500 to 6800 are my optimum. I'm not keen on those 7000 plus courses anymore...you should be able to hit 240 to 250 being relaxed and have fun. If you hit a crummy one, shouldn't completely ruin your day.,IMO,,the super long courses in our area are so penal with bad drives and such.. Just no fun

I prefer between 6500 - 6800. I have played up to 7,400 and it is a struggle to say the least.

I think I'm with the majority here.

6200-6800 is my comfort range, I like some of the shorter courses for course management and short game practice. I've played 7K plus and the length in both par 3s and par 4s is a killer and makes it too difficult for me.

for competitive rounds I prefer over 7k . you can have a decent game and score on a short course if you have a good short game but if you cant accurately hit tee shots and mid irons you will struggle. it take a more well rounded game to compete over 7k
Hah! 7k...yeah, I'll tee it forward bro.

I'm a huge AP fan too. Always gives you a chance and often gives you the opportunity to get a better look by risking it.

Yeah, the risk reward holes on AP courses are awesome. The Par 5 at Reunion from last year's outing comes to mind.

It depends on the course lay out, but I prefer 6300 - 6500. I'd probably stay away from anything over 7,000, but am fine with shorter courses so long as they're adequately defended.

Back