Preferred course length?

I usually like to play courses that are 6500 - 6800. Occasionally I'll play tees that are longer or shorter for a change of pace, but typically like it in that range. The course I am managing plays around 6300 from the mens tees, which isn't too bad, but I would prefer something a little longer.

I usually like to play courses that are 6500 - 6800. Occasionally I'll play tees that are longer or shorter for a change of pace, but typically like it in that range. The course I am managing plays around 6300 from the mens tees, which isn't too bad, but I would prefer something a little longer.

That 6300 yards sounds so relaxing now..

We have some very very old courses around my area that are considered short (6200 to 6500..give or take a few). The only thing that prevents these courses from being outdated are the super narrow tree lined fairways. Literally trees overhang in the fairway and greens. A lot of members want the trees trimmed or removed..I beg to differ.. Only thing that keeps these old courses competitive..throw in bunkers/ water and some undulated greens..and these older courses can be a beast

awesome thread

6300 is just about perfect for me. Can do 6,500, assuming it doesn't get all it's length from long par 4's.

How would you rate the course you just played with the Callaway guys?

I prefer 6,000-6,500 yds for most courses, I have tried to play longer courses and it just makes things way too difficult. I should not be hitting hybrids out of the fairway on most of the par 4's after a decent drive. Most of the courses I play are in the middle of the "comfort" range.

I think 6500-6600 is my preferred length. Anything under 6300 and I feel like I don't get to pull driver much. Anything over 6800 and I feel as if I'm FORCED to pull it nearly every hole. A lot does have to do with where the length is at also, long 4s and 3s make it tough where a little more length on the 5s make it more playable.

Played a local course a couple times recently, par 71 at 7100 and it was a brute. Back 9 is 3850, shortest par 4 at 415, longest at 479. Par 3s of 211 and 240. Entirely too long.

Last year the USGAs Tee It Forward initiative got me thinking about course lengths to play. With my misery in hitting anything between 170-275 yards, I chose lengths between 6000-6100 as often as possible.

Now that I have hybrids I can hit, I'm thinking up to 6500 is playable now.

What do you like to play?

i usually like to play all 18 thats a good length for me...

I'm currently not a very big hitter so I'm happy at 6200 and under! If there is length then I prefer them to be in the Par 5's and not the 4's. Though I sometimes enjoy a longer par 3, love hitting a 3 wood into a green.

long enough that it's not mini golf lol
but yeah short courses are fun... narrow fairways and closely guarded greens
I'd rather walk than cart if possible so short is cool :cool:

and then my Dad said, "well aren't you just buckets of fish guts"

I like to play between 6000 - 6300. That's enough fun for me :act-up:

I enjoy 6700 the most. I shoot the best around that distance. Anything shorter and I tend to let my guard down and the short course bites me. Anything longer and I try and press a bit to much.

6300-6500 is a good distance for me. Anything more than that I end up with more than a 7i into the green on par 4s and thats just not fun.

6,200-6,400 is a good length for me. This length usually gives me a good variety of shots and forces me to use most of my bag.

6600-6800 is where I am the most successful, I have played up to 7300 when I was playing in sectional PGA events, but I will run and hide if I have to go over 7k now. I like the occasional long par 4, but I don't want to be hitting hybrids and fairway wood into most of the par 4's.

Back