New stuff: kid cudi; wale; chiddy bang; the streets (to add a white guy)

Old stuff: slick Rick; kurtis blow; Ahmed; dj kool;

your just making stuff up

Here the order of my list that it's in, it goes 2-Pac, Eminem, Jay-Z then some new MC's like Drake and Lupe. I love early NAS, Common, DMX, and Talib. Kayne make good pop rap. I really like the Kid Kudi deeper message stuff. Basically that is my thing. I like raps that are about struggle and deeper thoughts. I have seen my share of struggles and relate to that type of music more than anything else. Watching my step-father being dragged away to prison, watching my parents do drugs and become alcoholics. Not having any money, even the .40 cents for school lunch. Eating popcorn for dinner because that is all that is left in the house. While my mother was smoking a joint in the back yard with the 5 bucks that I could use to eat lunch for two weeks. It brings me back to those times and reminds me that this life that I live now was not given to me, I had to turn on my blinders and get the heck out of there. It took 4 years in the army and 4 more years in college but I am out. Recently I went back to the old neighborhood and was scared. I really can't believe that I lived there for so long.

I get a little jaded when people say rap music is garbage. Don't get me wrong, bad rap music is bad. But where else do you hear stories about true poverty struggles? Some punk music addresses this, and I like some punk also. But this beautiful struggle out of poverty to a new life is raps meaning to me and the reason it will always be meaningful to kids that have to go through struggles because of their environment.

I love Nate Dogg and his rapping. I'm still missing him. But I think the love could be extreme if
he was in bodybuilding.
Do you know him?
White Lake health club

Last edited:
I don't listen to much of the newer stuff, but love a lot of stuff pre-2002.

My favorite is 2pac. But I like Nas, Outkasat, Goodie Mob, Eminem, Jay-Z, UGK, Bone Thugs, Geto Boys, NWA, Dr. Dre, Wayne, Kanye.

Non-mainstream: Immortal Technique, Canibus,

Here the order of my list that it's in, it goes 2-Pac, Eminem, Jay-Z then some new MC's like Drake and Lupe. I love early NAS, Common, DMX, and Talib. Kayne make good pop rap. I really like the Kid Kudi deeper message stuff. Basically that is my thing. I like raps that are about struggle and deeper thoughts. I have seen my share of struggles and relate to that type of music more than anything else. Watching my step-father being dragged away to prison, watching my parents do drugs and become alcoholics. Not having any money, even the .40 cents for school lunch. Eating popcorn for dinner because that is all that is left in the house. While my mother was smoking a joint in the back yard with the 5 bucks that I could use to eat lunch for two weeks. It brings me back to those times and reminds me that this life that I live now was not given to me, I had to turn on my blinders and get the heck out of there. It took 4 years in the army and 4 more years in college but I am out. Recently I went back to the old neighborhood and was scared. I really can't believe that I lived there for so long.

I get a little jaded when people say rap music is garbage. Don't get me wrong, bad rap music is bad. But where else do you hear stories about true poverty struggles? Some punk music addresses this, and I like some punk also. But this beautiful struggle out of poverty to a new life is raps meaning to me and the reason it will always be meaningful to kids that have to go through struggles because of their environment.

I caught the Eminem reference. I love that album, and that song.

Sage Francis! I reckon I like Atmoshere.

Love Rap, Hip-Hop, etc. Mainstream for the most part. Recently I've been listening to Jay-Z, Kanye, J.Cole and Drake the most.

I agree man. I hear rap never has meaningful lyrics from people, but i guess those people never really listened. Like the em lines
"this is for anyone who's ever been thru s#%_ in their lives,
till they've sit and they cried at night wishing they died;
Then they throw on a rap record, they sit and they vibe,
it's nothing to you, but we are everything in their eyes;
Thats why we seize the moment, try to freeze it and own it,
squeeze it and hold it, because we consider these minutes golden"

sheeewww, I could be here all day, listing names, I listen from ol' school, up to todays new artists, but gotta go with 2-pac, biggie, common, nas, roots, kool g rap, eminem, T.I, TUFF CREW, DMX, Some Jay z, but him and Kanye start to bug me, but they are good artists, some snoop dogg and DRE , ice cube, jadakiss, fugees..... man so many to name, but I listen to it all truthfully, from RUN DMC all the way DRAKE

I can't believe all the Drake fans. It's some of the worst crap I've heard in I don't know how many years. No flow to it. Nothing. Just crap.

I kind of agree about Drake. His songs are either love it or hate it. Most I dont care for ery day ery day ery day real ****** what's up

Beast mode from tapatalk

I agree man. I hear rap never has meaningful lyrics from people, but i guess those people never really listened. Like the em lines
"this is for anyone who's ever been thru s#%_ in their lives,
till they've sit and they cried at night wishing they died;
Then they throw on a rap record, they sit and they vibe,
it's nothing to you, but we are everything in their eyes;
Thats why we seize the moment, try to freeze it and own it,
squeeze it and hold it, because we consider these minutes golden"

I agree to an extent. Early stuff (post disco influence) was great lyrically. The lyrics often reflected the "blues" of old, pursued political and social change or, at very least, were fairly upbeat and put you into a good mood. The actual lyrics were often of upmost importance and typically there was a message behind the lyrics. Even in the early changes in rap (even some early gangsta rap), there was social messages about living in various neighborhoods and the hardness of living in that environment.

Then, starting in the early/mid 90's, the landscape started to change dramatically and mainstream rap was indefinitely changed. After a few groups from the late 80's and early 90's started making money with gangsta rap, west-coast and east coast (think NWA, Wu Tang, and the members of each etc), producers and labels started taking notice. Many of the labels and producers started taking the broader message of those early albums and simply narrowed it down to crime, drugs, money and disparaging women. Once these labels and producers learned that adolescent white males from the suburbs would purchase such albums, they simply created a hit list that must be included in the albums. Sounds angry....check. Say curse words...check. Talk about drugs...check. Talk about guns and crime...check. Talk bad about women...check. As long as those pimply white males from Kansas kept buying the records, they were going to keep producing the same thing, but only change the background music they ripped off.

Now obviously that is a generalization in every sense of the word, but still a fairly decent representation of what happened in rap music. I also don't want to neglect the fact that I also enjoyed many of the songs that fit into the above category, but they definitely were not "meaningful" lyrics in most instances.

In recent years, however, artists have started taking back the greatness of the genre. They have been more innovative with their lyrics and more socially conscious. They have begun to focus more on the meaning of the lyrics, rather than just spitting out the same ole garbage.

I kind of agree about Drake. His songs are either love it or hate it. Most I dont care for ery day ery day ery day real ****** what's up

Beast mode from tapatalk

he's got the same stupid hook every song. His turd voice. We are awesome KMac.

I like The Roots. They speak to my west coast upbringing.

he's got the same stupid hook every song. His turd voice. We are awesome KMac.

Yes we are. Even in the rap thread. Here's one for ya who's the rap GOAT??

Beast mode from tapatalk

I like The Roots. They speak to my west coast upbringing.

You're true WC buddy. I knew it!

Yes we are. Even in the rap thread. Here's one for ya who's the rap GOAT??

Beast mode from tapatalk

Man... tough one to be honest. I'd say based on lyrics and just ability.... people are gonna hate me because I didnt throw out some obscure name but I have to give it to Eminem.

Man... tough one to be honest. I'd say based on lyrics and just ability.... people are gonna hate me because I didnt throw out some obscure name but I have to give it to Eminem.
Stop it. The MC GOAT is way to hard to say but my vote would be Talib Kweli or Common.

Stop it. The MC GOAT is way to hard to say but my vote would be Talib Kweli or Common.

I like COmmon. I think his role in Terminator Salvation earned him some points too.

I cant argue that one brorapper. He's a lyrical genius. Dr. Dre has to be one of the producer GOAT's

I cant argue that one brorapper. He's a lyrical genius. Dr. Dre has to be one of the producer GOAT's

Agreed. His rap in that last team up with Em just summed him up perfectly.

Agreed. His rap in that last team up with Em just summed him up perfectly.

Sure did. And he's really transcended the generations too. From NWA to Snoop to Em to now. Remember at that awards show where someone tried to gank him haha he got all mad like that has happened before. Geez crazy rap guys.

Sure did. And he's really transcended the generations too. From NWA to Snoop to Em to now. Remember at that awards show where someone tried to gank him haha he got all mad like that has happened before. Geez crazy rap guys.

They sure are a wild bunch. Crazy people! I'm sure dre is reading this now.

They sure are a wild bunch. Crazy people! I'm sure dre is reading this now.

How about Easy-E haha Boyz n tha hood, one of the all time greats.

Back