SCOR System Review - Forum Testing

For the testers that have played Cleveland wedges before these sweet SCOR wedges I have a question. After hitting/playing the SCOR wedges if you had the choice to play either Cleveland or SCOR what would you choose, any pro's vs con's? I will be buying new irons and wedges soon and for me my wedges are my most important club. The V-sole has me wanting these bad. Really good in depth reviews guys.

Good question because I've been a Cleveland fan for years. I have one xFT now but prefer Cleveland

Tapatalk... Loved by me hated by the wife.

Nice update One-T.

Are the grips pre-marked or something with where to choke-down to take off distance on full shots? I did a quick review of the website, and did not see that.

Also, not sure if part of your testing is to provide feedback for their website. If so, I think they need to change the fonts/colors (too much red/blue/black) and reduce the amount of words on each page. It is too difficult to follow what they are trying to achieve - too wordy. I think they need to simplify it somewhat.

The SCOR method actually promotes choking down an inch at a time and utilizing full swings. The markings on the grips exactly one inch apart.
Grips.jpg

By way of comparison the markings on the NDMC are about 13/16 apart. The idea of choking down in known increments is solid IMO. Grips like these are certainly more helpful in knowing how far you are choking down when compared to say a Tour Velvet.

One-T, thats a great way to do things. Get the impression of some other people you just happen to be playing with. I have read most of this thread but I might have missed the question I'm about to ask. How do these wedges proform when you miss the sweet spot? And when you do, do you find it more directional or distance?

One-T doesn't miss the sweet spot :D, at least not often... For the most part I am seeing minor distance loss. Occasionally, I'll see a bit of a hook show up on strikes closer to the toe but really that is the ball strikers fault not the club. I see the same type of action from my Burner 2.0's on miss-hits.

Very good question!

THey perform VERY well when you dont hit the sweet spot. I did some videos earlier in this thread that I will bump for you after I type this. I show where I was hitting the ball on the face and showing some results. but, to answer that....I think they perform VERY well when mis hit. If it is just off center then you really will not see any loss of distance or direction. But, I cant give you a 100% answer on what you see more, be it distance or direction because the answe ri would give is...."it depends where you hit the ball on the club face". Anything way out on the toe is going to go right....or....you can also hook a ball if hit too much on the toe. So, I think it all depends. I will say that I hit one fat the other day, got good ball flight out of it(surprisingly) but the ball came up about 3 yards short of the green. I was actually pleased with that result cause I hit it very fat.

So, overall...yes they are very forgiving. My personal misses I see distance loss and not directional misses.

QFT

For the testers that have played Cleveland wedges before these sweet SCOR wedges I have a question. After hitting/playing the SCOR wedges if you had the choice to play either Cleveland or SCOR what would you choose, any pro's vs con's? I will be buying new irons and wedges soon and for me my wedges are my most important club. The V-sole has me wanting these bad. Really good in depth reviews guys.

I will say hands down I would choose the SCOR clubs by a wide margin. I went through quite a few different Cleveland wedges, all with varying degrees of loft & bounce. The only one I could ever hit consistently was a CG10 56* - 2-dot (whatever that means). I had days and situations with all of the other wedges where I could hit them well, but the inconsistency was a confidence destroyer.

The SCOR method actually promotes choking down an inch at a time and utilizing full swings. The markings on the grips exactly one inch apart.
Grips.jpg

By way of comparison the markings on the NDMC are about 13/16 apart. The idea of choking down in known increments is solid IMO. Grips like these are certainly more helpful in knowing how far you are choking down when compared to say a Tour Velvet.

One-T doesn't miss the sweet spot :D, at least not often... For the most part I am seeing minor distance loss. Occasionally, I'll see a bit of a hook show up on strikes closer to the toe but really that is the ball strikers fault not the club. I see the same type of action from my Burner 2.0's on miss-hits.

QFT

I will say hands down I would choose the SCOR clubs by a wide margin. I went through quite a few different Cleveland wedges, all with varying degrees of loft & bounce. The only one I could ever hit consistently was a CG10 56* - 2-dot (whatever that means). I had days and situations with all of the other wedges where I could hit them well, but the inconsistency was a confidence destroyer.

Thanks for the pic on the markings on the grip - very helpful.

Great stuff guys. I am intrigued at this system for sure. I wonder if one could incorporate the system of choking down and such into their own wedge set? Im sure it could happen, Im curious.

Thanks for the pic on the markings on the grip - very helpful.

No problem, it's one that I have been meaning to put up. The earlier discussion just served to remind me.

Great stuff guys. I am intrigued at this system for sure. I wonder if one could incorporate the system of choking down and such into their own wedge set? Im sure it could happen, Im curious.

I plan to incorporate it through my whole set of irons as time permits. I have always been one to choke down but always just sort of guessed at how far to choke down. I never gave much thought to charting how much distance I gave up until this test. To answer the question... I believe it could be achieved with any set of wedges, or clubs, as long as the grips are conducive to knowing just how far you are choking down.

Here's my question in regards to the lines and such on the grips. I normally choke down anyway and this system seems great to make it simple on where to grip. Are they taking into account grip type? I can see overlap and cross finger can be roughly the same but what about folks who go ten finger? Reason I ask is I normally have a ten finger grip and depending on the situation (only on wedges) I have gone to an overlap as well.

Here's my question in regards to the lines and such on the grips. I normally choke down anyway and this system seems great to make it simple on where to grip. Are they taking into account grip type? I can see overlap and cross finger can be roughly the same but what about folks who go ten finger? Reason I ask is I normally have a ten finger grip and depending on the situation (only on wedges) I have gone to an overlap as well.

I guess I don't follow your question with regard to grip-type. If your top hand falls on the grip in the same place every time for a standard full length shot, the markings on the grip give a visual reference as to how far you are moving your hands down regardless of grip type. Am I miss-understanding the question?

Some really great write up guys! You have all really cought my attention about these clubs.

I guess I don't follow your question with regard to grip-type. If your top hand falls on the grip in the same place every time for a standard full length shot, the markings on the grip give a visual reference as to how far you are moving your hands down regardless of grip type. Am I miss-understanding the question?

Looking at it further, I'm the one that's all goofed up. I thought being on the bottom end of the grip it would mark the measurement of the overlap hand than the bottom hand (although I can't see anyone holding their bottom hand all the way down at that last tick unless the ball was way above their feet). My apologies.

Looking at it further, I'm the one that's all goofed up. I thought being on the bottom end of the grip it would mark the measurement of the overlap hand than the bottom hand (although I can't see anyone holding their bottom hand all the way down at that last tick unless the ball was way above their feet). My apologies.

No apologies needed, I just wanted to make sure I understood the question to give an accurate answer.

Wow... I didn't jump on this thread from the get-go and that was a mistake. It has taken me a lot of time to go through 560 posts. Great reviews so far, I love all the vids and the responses to questions.

These have me seriously intrigued. The V-Sole is the same type of beveled leading edge that my Z-Star irons have and I love the turf interaction my irons give. One thing I do not like about my current wedges is the turf interaction. If these wedges can give me the same type of interaction I love, well then sign me up.

Keep up the great reviews, I will be liviing in this thread for a while....

Just back from the course. I shot a 91 today which does not sound great but <there's always a but>, I had three 3-putts, one OB off the tee, and carded a 9 on the par 5 18th. So with that in mind I'm calling it a great round. I have a few videos and a sheet full of notes covering my round, but that will take some time to get up. The SCOR clubs were fantastic today out of the wet grass that I sort of expected to drag the club down.

Just back from the course. I shot a 91 today which does not sound great but <there's always a but>, I had three 3-putts, one OB off the tee, and carded a 9 on the par 5 18th. So with that in mind I'm calling it a great round. I have a few videos and a sheet full of notes covering my round, but that will take some time to get up. The SCOR clubs were fantastic today out of the wet grass that I sort of expected to drag the club down.

Glad to see I'm not the only note taker during testing lol, I keep my little notebook in my bag always to jot down notes and general thoughts, good stuff.

This is honestly my favorite testing to read, I think its because I'm so infatuated with this idea now. Keep up the good work gents.

Glad to see I'm not the only note taker during testing lol, I keep my little notebook in my bag always to jot down notes and general thoughts, good stuff.

This is honestly my favorite testing to read, I think its because I'm so infatuated with this idea now. Keep up the good work gents.

I agree, the vsoles have me super excited. If I ever get picked for a club testing I know that I will be bringing a notebook as well after reading how thorough some of these reviews are. It really is a great idea

I agree, the vsoles have me super excited. If I ever get picked for a club testing I know that I will be bringing a notebook as well after reading how thorough some of these reviews are. It really is a great idea

I've said it about a million times now but I'm so in love with the v-soles its stupid. lol

Are you ready? Let's get on with it then.

So this morning I got out at o'dark o'clock in the pouring rain (sniffle) to start rocking a marathon testing day. 1x18 holes (6400 yards), 1 x 18 hole par 3 (1800 yards), 3 range buckets (240 balls) and a partridge and a pear tree were shot today. I didn't really care about scoring, deliberately missed some greens in odd positions to see what would happen and to get some more data. To make this less of a text block I'm going to break up my thoughts into a couple of sections and posts.
A: The Grip
Great picture by mdbuschsr to really show the markings on the grip. I honestly can't believe no one thought of this before because it's genius. I spent a long time working on what would happen in each grip position with a 1/2, 3/4, full swing and the results were impressive. I need more data before I can say for sure but changing the grip position wasn't as uniform as I thought in terms of distance change on each club. For example with the 59 using a half swing I could alter the distance from 45 to 68 yards pretty easily which gives up a distance change of 23 yards over 5 grip positions (I'm the weirdo that Spanks aluted to who grips the club waaay up on the small line at the top of the grip). This in theory gives us a 4.6 yard change based on the grip position. It didn't play out quite so uniform for me. One position changed the distance by 7 yards, well above the mean and I found this consistent though the 51/55/59.

I'd also like to point out that these grips are pretty great in the rain. I started on the par 3 this morning when it was pouring and foolishly forgot my towel in the car. Turns out, I didn't need it. The grip seems to repel water rather well (to be fair, so does the Pure grip on the Scratch's). I didn't have a single problem with slipage and they dried out remarkably fast when I was done for the little water they took on. Like were bone dry by the time I swapped my shoes.

The less stellar part is I don't really like the compound part of the grip at the top. If I was at the range practicing my short game all day I'm not sure my hands would be a happy camper at the end. It grips into your hand so well that those who don't wear a glove and who have soft hands could find they rip a bit. Not like taking huge chunks out or anything but there could be irratation

B: Shaft
I'll be totally honest and saw I'm not really sure what to think of this shaft yet. It feels very similair to a KBS Hi-Rev, even right down to how you can feel the tip of the shaft whip through the ball on a full swing. I'm use to the feeling from playing KBS tours and Hi-rev's in the past but it's been a bit so the feel is a bit weird to get use to. I'll also touch on the weight of the shaft when I talk about the iron v wedge question SCOR brings up.

C: Set up Position
I really want to touch on setup position because I'm finding it extremely important to get the most out of these wedges and how it plays with the sole. Earlier there's an excellent shot of the Vsole from adwillingham. Getting the sole to the correct bounce angle for the lie you have is very important. Don't just plunk the wedge down, swing away and expect magic. You need to woo it with the Barry White setup to get it going. If your lie is fluffy and you need the bounce, set up with the main part of the sole being down. In my case I find that it means my hands aren't in front of the ball as I'm use to. If however you need less bounce, you need the leading wedge of the sole to be grounded. This will likely end up with your hands being farther in front of you then usual. Don't move the ball around to compensate, that way leads to disaster as I found out today. Let the sole guide your hand position for your shot and adjust your ball position as normal.

For example, if using the 58/59/60, set up with the ball being further back in your stance and set the club down on the proper part of the sole. If for example you have a fairway lie, use the front edge, let it move your hands forward. What you'll notice here as well is that moving your hands more forward means your weight is shifted more towards the front as well. Lots of people seem to want to keep their weight back when chipping and it doesn't allow them to get down and through the ball for the chip. When your weight is more forward, it helps reduce this from occuring leading to lots of saved shots around the green.

If you have a fluffy lie and the plan is to open the face up, the club isn't quite so demanding about where you put your weight. It does tend to lead to a more balanced setup since your hands are closer to the ball but there's nothing stopping you from leaning either way or staying balanced as is your preference. I did find that going after the ball in the fluff and sand I was having better results with a balanced weight setup but I can see that vary on the person easily.

I've got 8 more sections to touch on but because this is becoming long I'm going to just finish with two more.

D: The 59 is Awesome
Why is the 59 awesome? I got my first hole in one today with it baby! Lets rock it Old Gray Style :bananadance::banana::alien2:

E: For Tmex
Hey Tmex, remember your Jaws and the sweet spot? I might not be quite as good but I'll take this up against your Jaws anyday
Image1001IMG_20110917_132134.jpg

Not sure that's going to come out picture wise but after 30 shots with the 55, I didn't have a single outside of a quarter spot. Little higher up the face then I would like but what can you do when they were all out of the rough?

Still to come on Tuna time:
vSole thoughs
Distance changes
Irons v wedges cage match
forged v cast and is Tuna really a snob?

Until later tonight. Same tuna channel, totally different time. KAPOW!

ST, awesome brother! CONGRATS on the hole in one first and foremost though.

Also, freaking brilliant idea for a first testing go round, love the idea of 18 regular then 18 on a 3 course. Can't wait to read the rest.

Nice write up ST; congrat's on the hole in one!!!

wow great write up Tuna. congrats on the hole in 1!

Great write up Tuna and congrats on the hole in 1! That has to be a great feeling especially with a new club

Are you ready? Let's get on with it then.

So this morning I got out at o'dark o'clock in the pouring rain (sniffle) to start rocking a marathon testing day. 1x18 holes (6400 yards), 1 x 18 hole par 3 (1800 yards), 3 range buckets (240 balls) and a partridge and a pear tree were shot today. I didn't really care about scoring, deliberately missed some greens in odd positions to see what would happen and to get some more data. To make this less of a text block I'm going to break up my thoughts into a couple of sections and posts.
A: The Grip
Great picture by mdbuschsr to really show the markings on the grip. I honestly can't believe no one thought of this before because it's genius. I spent a long time working on what would happen in each grip position with a 1/2, 3/4, full swing and the results were impressive. I need more data before I can say for sure but changing the grip position wasn't as uniform as I thought in terms of distance change on each club. For example with the 59 using a half swing I could alter the distance from 45 to 68 yards pretty easily which gives up a distance change of 23 yards over 5 grip positions (I'm the weirdo that Spanks aluted to who grips the club waaay up on the small line at the top of the grip). This in theory gives us a 4.6 yard change based on the grip position. It didn't play out quite so uniform for me. One position changed the distance by 7 yards, well above the mean and I found this consistent though the 51/55/59.

I'd also like to point out that these grips are pretty great in the rain. I started on the par 3 this morning when it was pouring and foolishly forgot my towel in the car. Turns out, I didn't need it. The grip seems to repel water rather well (to be fair, so does the Pure grip on the Scratch's). I didn't have a single problem with slipage and they dried out remarkably fast when I was done for the little water they took on. Like were bone dry by the time I swapped my shoes.

The less stellar part is I don't really like the compound part of the grip at the top. If I was at the range practicing my short game all day I'm not sure my hands would be a happy camper at the end. It grips into your hand so well that those who don't wear a glove and who have soft hands could find they rip a bit. Not like taking huge chunks out or anything but there could be irratation

B: Shaft
I'll be totally honest and saw I'm not really sure what to think of this shaft yet. It feels very similair to a KBS Hi-Rev, even right down to how you can feel the tip of the shaft whip through the ball on a full swing. I'm use to the feeling from playing KBS tours and Hi-rev's in the past but it's been a bit so the feel is a bit weird to get use to. I'll also touch on the weight of the shaft when I talk about the iron v wedge question SCOR brings up.

C: Set up Position
I really want to touch on setup position because I'm finding it extremely important to get the most out of these wedges and how it plays with the sole. Earlier there's an excellent shot of the Vsole from adwillingham. Getting the sole to the correct bounce angle for the lie you have is very important. Don't just plunk the wedge down, swing away and expect magic. You need to woo it with the Barry White setup to get it going. If your lie is fluffy and you need the bounce, set up with the main part of the sole being down. In my case I find that it means my hands aren't in front of the ball as I'm use to. If however you need less bounce, you need the leading wedge of the sole to be grounded. This will likely end up with your hands being farther in front of you then usual. Don't move the ball around to compensate, that way leads to disaster as I found out today. Let the sole guide your hand position for your shot and adjust your ball position as normal.

For example, if using the 58/59/60, set up with the ball being further back in your stance and set the club down on the proper part of the sole. If for example you have a fairway lie, use the front edge, let it move your hands forward. What you'll notice here as well is that moving your hands more forward means your weight is shifted more towards the front as well. Lots of people seem to want to keep their weight back when chipping and it doesn't allow them to get down and through the ball for the chip. When your weight is more forward, it helps reduce this from occuring leading to lots of saved shots around the green.

If you have a fluffy lie and the plan is to open the face up, the club isn't quite so demanding about where you put your weight. It does tend to lead to a more balanced setup since your hands are closer to the ball but there's nothing stopping you from leaning either way or staying balanced as is your preference. I did find that going after the ball in the fluff and sand I was having better results with a balanced weight setup but I can see that vary on the person easily.

I've got 8 more sections to touch on but because this is becoming long I'm going to just finish with two more.

D: The 59 is Awesome
Why is the 59 awesome? I got my first hole in one today with it baby! Lets rock it Old Gray Style :bananadance::banana::alien2:

E: For Tmex
Hey Tmex, remember your Jaws and the sweet spot? I might not be quite as good but I'll take this up against your Jaws anyday
Image1001IMG_20110917_132134.jpg

Not sure that's going to come out picture wise but after 30 shots with the 55, I didn't have a single outside of a quarter spot. Little higher up the face then I would like but what can you do when they were all out of the rough?

Still to come on Tuna time:
vSole thoughs
Distance changes
Irons v wedges cage match
forged v cast and is Tuna really a snob?

Until later tonight. Same tuna channel, totally different time. KAPOW!

Great write up, and a hole in one with a testing club?! SWEET!!!

Congrats on the hole in one. They don't call you Super Tuna for nothing.

Congrats on the ACE there brother!!!! Also a very good write up on the clubs looking forward to the rest.

Grats on the ace st! Great write ad well.

Getting used to tapatalk so bear with me. Can't say enough about how well the SCORs play nice with bad lies. As st pointed out you still have to play the correct shot for the lie. Once I do that the SCORS do their job.

Going to catch up on some of the other posts.

Back