SCOR System Review - Forum Testing

I'd like to welcome our contestants back to Celebrity Tunaity. Before we begin I would like to say that comment was not necessary Mr. Connery, were you raised by a squid? Here are the topics of the double scaled round

A: Feel / Forged vs Cast
Feel is quite a subjective but I do want to touch on it. SCOR calls these wedges Tru forged which is a blend of the forged and cast process. Being totally honest, these don’t feel like any other forged club I’ve used. You won’t confuse these for Anser wedges for example but at the same time, they aren’t as harsh as my Scratch 8620’s, Jaws or xFT’s. The SCOR’s offer an audible click which is more pleasing to me. It’s a deep click at a lower volume but still loud enough that you get instant feedback about your shot. I like the sound a lot, I know right away if I missed the sweet spot, if I hit it to hard or to soft. With some other wedges they sound the same if I hit it lightly or ¾ it and it’s here the SCOR’s shine.

That being said if you’re looking for that softness in your wedge, that’s not what you get here. There’s a noticeable difference between my irons and the SCOR wedges in how soft they are but I’d say the Pro Combo’s are plenty soft, amongst the softest feeling forged irons that you can get off the rack. I like the forged “feel” better but I’ve never found a forged wedge I like. These SCOR’s are a great middle point in the forged/cast debate and at this point, I’d say the performance beats both.

B: Distance Variation
I really want to touch on just how consistent the distance is with these wedges with the same swing. There’s no sudden fliers or shots that appear to die for no reason. You make the same swing with the same grip and the same ball and what you get is the same. The below two pictures were two shots I took with a half swing, second grip marking up for my lower hand with a Penta. In the first picture I slipped a little bit, hence the distance between the two of them. The second picture is what I’m regularly seeing with these as long as I stay consistent with my setup and swing.

Image1001IMG_20110917_105810.jpg

Image1001IMG_20110917_102649.jpg

The following picture might be a little harder to make out, I’ll blow it up later if I can. I tried to take this from behind the hole to show the ball placement of a shot done down at the first finger grip and then the second finger grip. You’ll note that there isn’t much between the balls in terms of the line that their on which is great. Also important is that the distance difference between these shots is the only thing that changes about them. They still bite the same, they still have the same pitch mark, etc, etc. The word of the day and my experiences with these wedges is consistency. They’re like the Stricker of wedges. Make the same shot and they put you on the green in scoring position every time. When you need a helping hand for an up and down, they’re there for you too. Frankly the grips should have been done in Khaki.

Image1001IMG_20110917_104433.jpg

Cheers guys. I’ve got another large write-up coming but I’m trying to make it into less of a block of text. Should be up tonight. For now I shall leave you with one last picture of something that’s occurring more and more as I get more comfortable with these.

Image1001IMG_20110917_111741.jpg

Wow the VR combos and the SCOR wedges look strikingly similar. They are both gorgeous

ST...good write up bro. These clubs are just what the doctor ordered for you man. You are just rockin with these.

That was an excellent writeup OneT. I really like how you touched on the feel there. It's a tricky thing to nail down but it's one of the big reasons people get/don't get a club.

These have been great for my game. I suffer from being crappy off the tee and short pitches around the green. So far these wedges are doing an amazing job helping with the later. I'm use to having blow up holes where I'll be annoyed and blade it, then chip it on but not close and have to two or thee putt. I've only bladed one shot so far and that's because a bird scared the crap out of me while I was in the middle of my back swing. I've also got the confidence to chip it to the flag instead of just on the green and go from there. I've been quite a mind set change honestly about what I can and can't do for shot making in close.

Which one, if any, would you say is your go to wedge in this set up?

Thieving the question but it's the 59 for me. I know a lot of people have trouble with the 60 or want to use it and it gets them in trouble but as long as it's in range, there's isn't anything I won't try with this wedge. If I'm inside of 85 yards, I'm pulling it most times (unless I need something like a long and low run out. I'm a huge fan of the 51 right now for that).

Between the feedback you guys are providing and what I get out of the Eidolon wedges when they show up I might be seriously pondering a 45 or 46 Scor club as a PW replacement.

For those that did not get a PW, will you? I would prefer to have my scoring wedges the same but even now they are not. From the sounds of it these clubs are easy to hit no matter what iron you play. I am wanting a 50,54,58 but thinking of adding the PW as well.

Thanks for the reply. Do you think this has to do with the V-sole? Especially when you open up the face? Keep up the good work man.

Jeff: I just got back from a field near my house where the grass was all about 3 inches high. So, I did not get to test the tight lie shots that were in the video last night. However, I did take my SCOR 57 and VR 56 and hit flop shots with buried lies in the rough. Both clubs performed about the same for me in this small test. I was able to open the club face completely up and get the shots up with no problem. Obviously, with that type of shot in the rough the turf interaction is minimal but if I still have the VR wedges next time I actually go to the range I will try the flop shots from those tight lies.

Tonight, I'd like to present a full set of comparison pictures of all of my wedges. I'm not going to comment on similarities (virtually none) or differences at this point. I'll let the images speak for me. The list of clubs includes:

SCOR 50, 55, 60
Eidolon 50, 54, 58
Wilson Staff TW9 50
Cleveland CG10 56
Cleveland CG15 52, 60
Cleveland REG588 RTG 60
Callaway X-Tour 60

The WS TW9 is still in plastic as I received it tonight 10 minutes before I started taking pics. Pretty good deal at RBG but I digress. Here are all of the clubs, and the SCOR wedges in all of the glory!!!

All-1.jpg

All-2.jpg

All-3.jpg

And now just the 50's
SCOR_50-Eidolon_50-WS_TW9_50.jpg

Now with the 52*
SCOR_50-Eidolon_50-CG15_52.jpg

SCOR50-Ediolon50-CG1552.jpg

Here are the SCOR 55, Eidolon 54, and CG10 56
SCOR_55-Eidolon_54-CG-10_562.jpg

SCOR_55-Eidolon_54.jpg

SCOR_55-CG-10_56.jpg

SCOR_55-CG-10_562.jpg

And now the 60's come to the stage:
SCOR_60-Eidolon_58.jpg

SCOR_60-CG15_60.jpg

SCOR_60-ClevelandTourREG-588_60.jpg

SCOR_60-ClevelandTourREG-588_602.jpg

SCOR_60-CallawayXTour_60.jpg

Last but most definitely not least are a few images of the V-Sole on the SCOR 50* wedge.
V-Sole-1.jpg

V-Sole-2.jpg

V-Sole-3.jpg

OK, so I know that was a lot to take in, but hopefully it answers many of the comparison questions. If not please continue to ask us!

MD, excellent! Thank you for that dude, its really appreciated to see comparison wedge pics like that, particularly with the Eidolon's for me personally!

Freaking double-post...

Last edited:
Nice pix md. The v sole is very intriguing to me still

MattyCaulk Aka Hawk hunter

Hello, my name is MD, I have a wedge addiction....

Seriously dude, thanks for the pics. The comparisons are very interesting. The scor clubhead is very different than the eidolon, suprisingly so to me.

can someone enlighten me as to what advantage the v sole offers? I just don't understand what these wedges do that other wedges do not.

Guys I am totally bummed out. I had these great plans to post up some things while I was away from the SCORs. Apparently Disney doesn't have wireless in these rooms and I did not bring a cable. Trying to write a review on the phone is a disservice to SCOR and you guys. I just can't concentrate while I use this tiny keyboard. No time to come up with a better solution so I will wait a couple more days.

I will add one thought. We spend a lot of effort getting irons, even more for some woods. Spend hours testing putters inthe store. And a lit us, me included, spend far less time on the clubs we use 2nd most to a butter. Think about it. Was the gist of what I wanted to post up tonight. Will obviously go into detail when I am home in a couple days.

can someone enlighten me as to what advantage the v sole offers? I just don't understand what these wedges do that other wedges do not.

In short: The v sole adjusts the bounce to the lie your in. This means each wedge can be multipurposed. No more grabbing the sand wedge because you need 16 bounce to get out of the trap and then having to make a touchy shot with your 52 because the 56 sand wedge has too much bounce to function from a tight lie.

The V sole lets picker's pick (without coming in thin) and diggers dig (without getting stuck) with the same wedge which frankly is straight up amazing to me. I know as a picker of the ball what I want in the hybrid, iron or wedge set is very different then what some diggers want. That limited the brands I can buy and to some extent the shots I can make. SCOR takes care of that problem nicely.

In short: The v sole adjusts the bounce to the lie your in. This means each wedge can be multipurposed. No more grabbing the sand wedge because you need 16 bounce to get out of the trap and then having to make a touchy shot with your 52 because the 56 sand wedge has too much bounce to function from a tight lie.

The V sole lets picker's pick (without coming in thin) and diggers dig (without getting stuck) with the same wedge which frankly is straight up amazing to me. I know as a picker of the ball what I want in the hybrid, iron or wedge set is very different then what some diggers want. That limited the brands I can buy and to some extent the shots I can make. SCOR takes care of that problem nicely.

ST, you put that way better than I could have managed and its spot on. I love it because I can play all the different lies now, hardpan which was my nightmare doesn't bother me now like it used to.

ST, you put that way better than I could have managed and its spot on. I love it because I can play all the different lies now, hardpan which was my nightmare doesn't bother me now like it used to.

I need Scor to start offering these in LH. These wedges are so awesome. Great looks and from what everyone is posting they function well too!

This is a Tunarific description of the V-sole. Wedge selection for LHers is marginal, at best. With the V-sole, this is no longer a concern. I pick the wedge I want to hit based on the distance and the type of shot needed. I don't have to factor bounce into the decision at all (as you described).

What I love now, is knowing when I end up in a sand trap it's not a 3 shot penalty to get out. I'm use to playing wedges with 6 degrees or less of bounce and it's really tricky to get that club into the sand and out again if the ball isn't sitting up top nicely. Being able to open that wedge up and get it to pop out nicely is a great feeling. It's still a WIP for me as we don't have that much sand around here (water traps galore) but it's so much better it's worth a comment.

This is a Tunarific description of the V-sole. Wedge selection for LHers is marginal, at best. With the V-sole, this is no longer a concern. I pick the wedge I want to hit based on the distance and the type of shot needed. I don't have to factor bounce into the decision at all (as you described).

Totally forgot about the lefties in that, my apologies guys. Once SCOR gets these made up for you, they'd be my first stop for wedges especially with your otherwise limited options.

that would be sweet to see these in LH. I'm crossing my fingers for sooner than later. :D

For those that did not get a PW, will you? I would prefer to have my scoring wedges the same but even now they are not. From the sounds of it these clubs are easy to hit no matter what iron you play. I am wanting a 50,54,58 but thinking of adding the PW as well.

I think everyone received the PW in the set. A couple of us did not receive the 9 iron replacement. I have given some limited thought to getting one, but it would throw the gaps off a tad. My current set, with the SCOR's in the mix increase by 5* for each club. Trying to throw a 41* in to replace my 9 would leave a 6* gap from 8 iron to 9 iron. In short I'm not sure.

Back