Srixon Q-Star Golf Balls

I will be playing 18 today and will report back with my findings.

I've been on vacation for awhile and just found out about these new balls. I've always enjoyed what Srixon has to offer hopefully we get them here in Canada eventually. Thanks for all the feedback!

Got a dozen of the Q Stars today. Unfortunately they have to sit on the shelf until after I am done with the blind ball testing. Looking forward to gaming these though. Thanks for all the input so far guys!

Picked up a dozen last week and got one round in this weekend with them. My regular ball is the Bridgestone E6 for comparison. Initial impressions are good; comparable price to the E6 helps. I found them to be a little longer, and spin was defiantly higher around the green with wedge shots. They felt good comparable off the club and putter as the E6. So far, I'm a fan and will get some more rounds in with them. I am a fan of the E6 and just accepted that I won't get the spin around the greens and that was the trade off. With this ball, there seems to be much less of the trade off.

I played these for 27 holes yesterday... Came away with mixed feelings.

Driver:
The ball goes straight and far! I don't think I gained any distance but it really had a nice flight. Almost felt like the ball was floating which isnt a bad thing but I was pretty happy. Didnt feel like mush but wasn't overly soft. Some balls almost feel heavy and this certainly was not one of them.

Irons:
Mixed here. My best shots and the ball had a click ish sound and feel to it. The ones where I thought I hit pure (soft almost nothing feel/sound) didnt go as far and seemed to fly really high. I was about half and half with this ball. I want more time though. The distance seemed spot on with my other balls on some shots and do they really hold the green well!

Short Game:
Again mixed results. I'm not good at controlling spin imo and there were times I got this ball to do what I wanted and other times it just didn't seem to stop. I blame the green as they were tough at times. But there was one shot in particular where I was probably only 40 feet out, chipped to the exact spot I wanted, the ball checked hard and rolled out just a couple feet. Left a long par putt. Again, I think I would have benefitted from some practice time.

Putter:
Love the feel off the putter and it was easy to align. The DART aiming system along with the yellow color provided a great contrast. Felt pretty soft and didnt notice any type of click.

Overall:
Really want more time with this one. I wasn't having a great ballstriking day and these balls suffered. I almost lost two in the rough on approach shots! Usually the yellow is easier to spot but this course was in terrible shape. For the price, I'd definitely game these again but would like to get some numbers to truly see if its a fit. Makes a great alternative for when i can't go with my gamer. Even has me more interested because of the yellow color. That actually makes it a pretty easy choice assuming I'm not hurting anything by gaming this ball.

Just got back from vacation, I've gotta give these balls a try!

I'm still liking mine, though my box is getting awfully low from letting friends have a few.

I love the spin and feel on the greens, and the sacrifice in driver distance isn't too bad.

man, it sounds to me that they have combined the E6 and E5. straight flight and soft core like the E6 so it's easily compressed by slower swing speed (mid to high 90's) players like me and performs like E5 around the green. and the best part, about this is it comes in yellow, which I really enjoy. I went to Dick's earlier and they said they won't be out on the shelf until Friday. I'll have to wait a little longer. keep the reviews coming. :D

Definitely interested in these especially at the price and I tried the z-star xv in yellow and loved them in that color. Will be picking up a dozen of these promptly.

Based on everyones reviews, I picked up a dozen at Edwin Watts today. I won't be able to hit the course or range until Friday. I'll put up my initial thoughts this weekend.

Got the ball out for 9 holes yesterday, and I have to say I am thoroughly impressed with how the perform.

Looks- These look a lot like the Z-Star to me. If you see my earlier post I compare it to the Vision UV:X3, while not as bright it was still easy to see in the fairway, and more often than the fairway the rough for me :banghead:

Driver- This ball works as advertised off the driver. It has a straight ball flight and almost feels like it fights against an occasional slice. I really felt like the ball was working to stay straight while also giving me good distance. It was similar to the e6 for me, but a bit longer.

Irons- This ball was good for me off of the irons all day. I got a decently high ball flight, but I wouldnt say it was balooning. I have a pretty steep swing so I am used to a higher ball flight and I enjoyed watching the ball soar off of my irons.

Short game/wedges: This ball really shines around the green for me. On full and 3/4 wedge shots this ball checks up really well for me. I am not someone who tries to employ backspin, but it was almost always one bounce and a dead stop, which I really enjoyed. I think this ball is most definately spinnier than the e6 around the greens.

Putting- This ball rolled off the putter face well and the Q-Star sightline was a nice thing to look at while aiming a putt.

All in all I think Srixon really has a winner here. This ball is straight, long, and spinny and what else could you ask for. At $25 a dozen I strongly suggest everyone goes out and tries a dozen and I dont think you will be dissapointed.

As straight as an e6, but with more greenside spin? That sounds like a winner! I gotta get my hands on a dozen...

I love the E-6 in all aspects except around the greens. +1 on this. These balls will be in my bag shortly.! I would love if they made these in orange.

I love the E-6 in all aspects except around the greens. +1 on this. These balls will be in my bag shortly.! I would love if they made these in orange.

same here, Im a E6 fan for sure, this sounds like a must have for sure

okay... after all the rave here, I went hunting yesterday and today. I finally got a hold of 2 sleeves at GS at $4.99 each. actually cheaper than if I bought a dozen. it's good to hear that the Q Star behave like the E6 and have the spin around the green like E5/B330 RX. I'm looking forward to testing them out tomorrow for my practice round. if they behave as I've been reading here, they'll be in play for Saturday's league play. :D

Played another round with them on Sunday. Shot a 90 on the nose.
The driver behaved for about half the round. I didn't notice any distance loss vs. the Diablo Tour's. I did notice a much higher ball flight. My carry distance was more than I usually get from the the Diablo Tours.
With my irons, same as the first round. Usually one hop and stop with my scoring irons. Held the green with a 6i from about 180yds.
As for chipping and pitching - still getting bite on that first bounce. I've got the distance it'll run out pretty much down now so I'm just as confident as I was with the Callaway's. I had one bunker shot which ended up being only my third sand save for par this year. Par 3 - 163 yds about 15 feet downhill from tee to green. Pin was tucked on the right hand side of the green. My 8i leaked a bit right and I found the green side bunker on the short side. Had to go right at it to win the closest to the hole on that par 3 as my buddy stuck one to about 12'. Played maybe my best sand shot ever. All my weight on the front foot, ball about halfway between middle and front of my stance and played a great explosion shot. Ball popped up and bounced about 2 inches from the hole. Checked up on the 2nd bounce and I drained my 7 footer for par.
If I wasn't convinced after the 1st round, this one sealed it.

Home Run from Srixon

Home Run from Srixon

I bought a dozen Q-Star Yellows at GG yesterday and played them this morning alongside TM TP Blacks. I wanted to throw in my E5 gamer ball but I must have lost my last one. I played the TP Blacks to see if how they compare in distance.

Here's my thoughts after one round:

Driving:
Long and straight. Enough said. I hit all over the face of my supertri today and these balls still went straight.

Long/ Med Irons:
Good high but flat ball flight and nice feel. Hit a 6i 170 into a green and the ball stopped 4 feet in front of divot.

Shortgame:
Nice soft feel off of wedges. My zip grooves on my CG14's didn't chew the ball either. I left my shots short all day because I was expecting more run than produced. The run-out was very consistent, I just never adjusted.

Putting:
A dream off the putter. Soft sound and feel just like an expensive urethane ball.

Durability:
Excellent, I hit a cartpath, tree, and fence without it damaging the ball. (and no, it wasn't during the same hole) At the end of the day the S in Srixon was rubbed off but the ball was still playable. The TP Black had numerous scuffs and wedge marks.

Conclusion:
The Q-star feels soft yet not mushy. Felt exactly like an E5 imo. It is definitely longer than the E5 and played as long as the TP Black. Great distance and control, good spin and durability makes this ball a winner and earns it a place in my bag. :in-love: Srixon has really brought their A-game this year.

I did find it curious that when they finally added it to their website, they placed it in the "all ability" category not the "premium distance" group. Perhaps once the AD333 goes away, they will rethink how they categorize it. Having never played the Tri-speeds, I wonder how this performs any differently?

I am playing a harder, more target type coarse tomorrow and will report how it performs for a full 18.

Srixon makes quality balls and I was sold on them until a couple of things happened.

1. While playing practice rounds with my swing coach and alternating balls on nines he determined that Pro V1 vs Z Star Pro V1 was better for my game.
2. One day he slipped me a sleeve of TaylorMade Penta TP and we determined that it was better for my game.

I would love to fiddle around with this ball though.

Alex

Used Z Stars for awhile before I figured out I don't swing hard enough to take advantage of them from anywhere other than 100 yards in. AD333's are one of my favs as well. Extremely interested in this ball.

Just picked up a dozen at Golf Galaxy for $25. I can't wait to test these out during our Mini-New England THP Saturday outting... I'm a huge fan of the Bridgestone E6 and B330-RX so this should be interesting.

I'm almost sold.

After stockpiling Z-Stars last year when they were on clearance at 2/$60, I promised myself that was the ball I was going to stick with the entire year, and I told myself not to buy any more balls until I was down to my last dozen. Just cleaned out my closet about an hour ago (in the process of moving), and I still have 4 dozen Z-Stars still unopened.

As much as I want to try the Q-Star, I don't want to go back on my word. I may have to sell the Z-Stars first.

I got another round in with the Q Star's today and continue to be impressed. I'm really enjoying the extra spin around the greens compared to the E6 I have been playing. I've been contemplating a ball change and think this may do the trick. As my swing and ball striking has improved this year I find myself willing to give up some of the advantages of the E6 to go with a higher spin ball. I'm a fan of the 330RX but the price difference between the Q-star and 330's make it that much more attractive for me. I'll continue to test but am a fan so far.

im gonna give these a try this weekend out the Ohio get together, Zstar is my ball but these really interest me, straighter ball flight and still some spin around the greens sounds perfect. The only downfall to the Zstar is the spin, love it around the greens but when im swinging bad it can hurt me off the tee

These balls look great! I'm going to pick up a box before my round this weekend.

Back