Stack and Tilt - Experiences, Opinions, and Use

DDBowdoin

Banned
Reaction score
Handicap
insl01_stacktilt.jpg

Golf Digest

I have seen this here and there and I am interested in hearing everyones opinion on this controversial swing theory. I'd like to experient with it but had issues translating Golf Digest slides into practical range sessions.

insl08_stacktilt.jpg

I tend to have a natural hip slide, which causes me to hit balls thin from time to time. Here, S & T claims this is benefitial regardless of it traditionally being considering a swing flaw.

Baddeley and the Stack and Tilt

inil02_stackandtilt0706.jpg

I tried it. Way too technical for me. My body just did not feel right. ANother thing is, when using their system, it felt like an entire swing rebuild.

did you use their DVD? or go straight out of GD?

I used the DVD. It was myself and 2 others that decided to give it a run. None of us stuck with it because it just did not work with our bodies. Way too technical.

I'd like to at least give it a shot...

I started doing it at the begining of this year and improved my handicap 3 points. I was having an awful time getting my weight back to my left side and I would hang back on a lot of shots which caused my to do all sorts of bad things. With the S&T there is no weight shift so it solved that problem for me. It is a different swing and any major swing change is hard so you really have to want to do it but once I was comfortable with it I did hit the ball very solidly. For the first time I had a nice draw. My mistakes with the S&T is tilting too much and pulling or hooking the ball. Also, I find it easier to hit my irons and fairway woods. More difficulty with the driver. I have found it difficult to find an instructor who teaches S&T as well.

my experience with the stack and tilt actually helped me a lot. i never could quite seem to obtain the "quiet lower body" that many instructors talk about. my teacher got me to the point where i had a really solid base and little movement in my lower body during my swing. it got me hitting the ball consistently, but i felt like i was losing power. i took what he said and changed it into my own version of the stack and tilt. its similar to the true stack and tilt taught by bennett and plumber, but with a few twists to make it work best for me. i keep the basic motion of the stack and tilt during my swing, as in my hips constantly moving forward and focusing on keeping my swing on plane. i am pretty much a stack and tilt player with my irons, which has helped me to achieve incredible consistency with my shot patterns, trajectory, and impact. the only thing i change is when i hit driver. i keep the same motion, but i use my lower body to help drive through the ball. i have a good picture of it somewhere that i will put up later. while the stack and tilt can feel very mechanical and too technique oriented, i found that it helped my tempo and my ball striking tremendously

the face is kinda closed so we will assume i was hitting a draw:banana:. but these are good examples of what i vary in my version of the stack and tilt to get some extra yards out of my driver. basically the "come out of my shoes i hit it so hard" drive haha. i do that when im really trying to bomb it. most of the time its a little bit toned down, but my feet still come up a little when im swinging at normal tempo with my driver

20080903_dhj_glf_0283.jpg
20080903_dhj_glf_0284.jpg

some nice shots there AK... how did you start to implement the S&T into your practice routines?

i would say the key important starting point for me was to get the lower body part settled. it could feel weird at first and if anything will promote a slight fade but after like 30 balls or so, i got used to swinging on a plane that allowed me to hit it straight or opt for a draw while keeping my hips moving forward from takeaway. after that everything else seems to fall in line. meaning that it won't be hard to tinker with it and change the plane of your swing or hit different shots. the main goal in my opinion is to just get that lower body motion locked in to muscle memory at first then the rest comes together. plus anybody who is single digit, meaning you dan haha, should be able to make the switch without too much hassle because you will get feedback on what you are doing and what might need to change to fix something you dont like

Thanks for bringing up this topic DDB. I've been looking at the S&t as well, trying to figure out if I can implement it. I plan on giving it a go when I can get back to the practice range.

Great pics AK. I wish I could generate that kind of power and still maintain control.

Thanks for bringing up this topic DDB. I've been looking at the S&t as well, trying to figure out if I can implement it. I plan on giving it a go when I can get back to the practice range.

Great pics AK. I wish I could generate that kind of power and still maintain control.

I tried it on the range without really knowing what the hell I was actually doing. I found myself making solid contact but could really only hit a fade...

Embrace the Fade DD. Embrace the Fade

the key to holding greens / and accuracy in tight pins ... for sure

[YOUTUBE]<object width="480" height="295"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/To2r4tdhBPE&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/To2r4tdhBPE&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="295"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

We watched this video today (an objective though unfavorable view of the method, from Golf Digest). Someone suggested I try it since it's the way my weight often goes naturally, so I was going to give it a shot at the range today, but I just don't think I can manage that shoulder turn. When discussing it, we realized there is not a single LPGA player that endorses it. I don't think that can be coincidence. Thoughts? Do you guys think it's not possible - or a bad idea - with a woman's body?

I'm a S & T guy. Both me and my golf buddy started it late last year. Here is my #1 piece of advice. BUY THE DVDs !!! Watch both disk one and two first. Disk 2 is very in-depth but fills in the missing pieces from the basics.

I started it by using just the Golf mag article and although it helped in the solid contact area, I was not doing it correctly and in-grained a very bad "piece" into my swing. I bought the DVDs a few months back, watched them with my instructor and I'm hitting the ball so much better now. My handicap in the last months is 3-4 strokes lower than what I have posted here.

I hit a straight to small draw with most clubs. My driver is a slight fade. The driver the hardest part to get clicking with the S&T. I find that stacking my weight slightly behind the driver head and not letting it move back has been my best implementation so far.

Reactions: JB
I started using it a few months ago. I never purchased the DVD's. I just read a few articles. And started trying it. I was having a LOT of trouble with weight shift with my irons. So this idea was right up my alley. Now, I can(at times) get my divots in front of the ball. The 1st time this happen I was cheesin big time:clap: I have also found that it is a little easier for me to fade the ball. For me to draw it, will take more practice.
What I need to do now is practice more. My excuse is that I have to pass my course to get to the range.

I have been thinking about switching to Stack and Tilt for the past year. Christian, do you have a suggestion for a good book about S&T?

I'd like to at least give it a shot...

I was always S&T until I got to college and my coach did a complete re-work of my swing. I went from playing a baby fade and being an OK driver of the ball and a great iron player to a Great driver of the ball and a horrible short iron player. Plus I was now playing a draw.

Needless to say I am getting my S&T back, and so far so good. My driver is about the same, maybe a bit worse, but well worth it. My long irons are about the same, mid irons are getting better and my short irons have gotten tremendously better.

I am still working through some kinks, the driver is not the easiest to switch to S&T, especially with my ultra strong grip, but I am seeing results.

My Driving is based on tree lines hit, not fairway. I was mid 90% now I am 90% wsince switching but my GIR has gone from 42% to 49%. I t takes some getting used to but my good irons shots have gotten better and more frequent, my bad iron shots are getting better and I hardly ever hit it thin or fat.

I have a hard time S&T w/ my driver, so I don't. It would probably work for me but I don't practice it. I think that it is good way to swing for those that(like me) that get stuck on the right side. I swing S&T with the irons & I get decent contact. I like it.

If you have a weight shift issue that prevents you from having a consistant divot location (low point of the swing arc) the S&T method can help. I have seen too many golfers with weight shift issues benefit from this type of swing. I have been using my a version of it for many, many years and it has served me quite well. Especially with my iron play. I don't think it is something very new in golf swing instruction, and is just something someone dusted off the cob webs to re-issue their version to the public. I forget the name of the book, but I think it was Earnest Jones who touched on leaving more weight on the lead foot to help with weight transfer. It might have been Phil Galvano. I just know it was in a very old (40+ years) book. :comp:

I gave up on the S & T... my swing is all over the place so who knows at this point

DD,
I was wondering how that was going for you. After all the winter working out you've put in, how's the game these days? Has the new position at work gotten in the way?

Back