TaylorMade Burner 2.0 Irons - Forum Testing Review

Firstly, for those who missed it, let me give you all some backgroud.

I'd been playing with a set of Maxfli clubs bought at christmas last year, and steadily improving my game. In about March I bought myself the 2.0 Burner #3 wood. 4 months later, and based on the strength of the #3 wood, I was back again to get the 10.5* driver.

1 week ago I finally decided to update my irons, and given the glowing review on this site and my own love for the Burner range, I decided to go with the Burner 2.0 Black finish irons.

That brings us to the present day, and what a happy man they have made me!

With my old irons my two biggest weaknesses were distance and consistency. I was always hitting 2-3 clubs more than my playing partners, and even then I had a nightmare of a time trying to range in my irons (one shot would travel 140m the next 160m). It was more frustrating than words can describe and I'm sure at some point in your own golfing career you would have had the same experience.

And here enters the Burners...

All of a sudden, all the work I'd put in trying to improve my old irons instantly was able to shine. From the very first swing (in this case it was my 6-iron) I was hitting long and accurate (all the balls were within a 6m diameter). I easily picked up 3 clubs worth in most circumstances (where before I was hitting a 5 iron, now I hit an 8).

Balls that used to hit the green and roll out off the back were now checking so hard that they usually sat within 30cm of their pitch-mark. Everything I hit sounded clean, flew off the clubface with a perfect trajectory, and found its target with ease.

But the best thing, and I can't stress this enough, is that for the first time in my life I can now look at my required range, pick the required club, and swing with confidence knowing that the ball will land precisely where I was aiming.

These clubs are so easy to swing, and easily the best golfing investment I've made to date. And as such, I would recommend them to anyone serious about improving their game!!!

Great to hear you've found something that works for you.
Taylormade does have some fine offerings for many different levels of players.
Keep us up to date on your following rounds.

I have played a full season over 100 rounds with these and I am still in love. Combined with the KBS tour stiff shafts, I have a boring ball flight that just penetrates wind and doesn't lose the intended line. It will definitely take some special irons to kick these out of my bag.

I have played a full season over 100 rounds with these and I am still in love. Combined with the KBS tour stiff shafts, I have a boring ball flight that just penetrates wind and doesn't lose the intended line. It will definitely take some special irons to kick these out of my bag.

I bet the KBS tours would make a deadly combo with the burner irons

Glad to see another happy TM customer! The 2.0's are a great set of irons.

My season is almost done except for the occassional warm day and I still love my 2.0's. I just purchased the sand wedge and was wondering from some of you who have it, what your thoughts were?

My parents were kind enough picked up a set of 2.0s for me for Christmas. However, they were not kind enough to let me take them out on the course a couple weeks ago despite my nagging. I guess the excitement will have to wait a few more months.

Hey All,

Just checking in about my experience with the Burner 2.0's again.

Having now had a chance to play with these clubs in a couple of comps it's extremely clear what a huge difference these have made to my game. I'm hitting so consistently, with both line and length accurate to about a 2m radius.

The biggest indicator is going from an average stableford score of 24 to a steady average of 35 after 2 comp rounds with these clubs.

As you can see in my signature, I've become quite smitten with Taylormade equipment, and I can assure you all that they haven't let me down.

Cheers!

Hey All,

Just checking in about my experience with the Burner 2.0's again.

Having now had a chance to play with these clubs in a couple of comps it's extremely clear what a huge difference these have made to my game. I'm hitting so consistently, with both line and length accurate to about a 2m radius.

The biggest indicator is going from an average stableford score of 24 to a steady average of 35 after 2 comp rounds with these clubs.

As you can see in my signature, I've become quite smitten with Taylormade equipment, and I can assure you all that they haven't let me down.

Cheers!

Great to read, and man thats a big increase in stableford points. Glad you are enjoying them and keep us updated as you continue to improve with them.

Great to read, and man thats a big increase in stableford points. Glad you are enjoying them and keep us updated as you continue to improve with them.

Yeah, tis a big increase, I shot a 31 the first round and then a 38 the second round. I still can't quite believe it when I pick a club and it lands within spitting-distance of where I was aiming.

Yeah, tis a big increase, I shot a 31 the first round and then a 38 the second round. I still can't quite believe it when I pick a club and it lands within spitting-distance of where I was aiming.

Have you considered adding another ATV to bridge the gap from your 45* PW to the 58* ATV? The Burner 2 matching wedges come in at 50 & 55, so maybe a 52*?

As a matter of fact, yes I have.

I love my ATV and have just recently mastered the flop and lob shots with it.

It would be great to have a wedge to fill the gap, but having just updated my entire set, I'm a little low of $$$, so I was waiting until some second-hand ones come up. So if you know anyone looking to move one along feel free to send them my way! :)

As a matter of fact, yes I have.

I love my ATV and have just recently mastered the flop and lob shots with it.

It would be great to have a wedge to fill the gap, but having just updated my entire set, I'm a little low of $$$, so I was waiting until some second-hand ones come up. So if you know anyone looking to move one along feel free to send them my way! :)

Very understandable man, I'll keep an eye out and PM you if anything crosses my way.

Thanks mate, that would be fantastic!!!

It's one of the great frustrations of this fine game.... there's never enough money to buy everything we want! :wink:

Thanks mate, that would be fantastic!!!

It's one of the great frustrations of this fine game.... there's never enough money to buy everything we want! :wink:

Thats so true, but wedges are an easy/cheap buy used and make such a difference in your total score.

Very true, but when you're after a very specific wedge (52* ATV) there's a lot of time spent watching the FS threads haha

Very true, but when you're after a very specific wedge (52* ATV) there's a lot of time spent watching the FS threads haha

Check eBay, Ive had great luck buying wedges there.

I just grabbed a brand new set of these for $270. Not sure if I am going to keep them yet or not.

I just grabbed a brand new set of these for $270. Not sure if I am going to keep them yet or not.

Give them some time, they might be ugly lol, but they work well, I still play the ones I bought 2 years ago, and haven't seen a reason to upgrade yet. Did you get the black ones?

I still game mine, but they are the HP version (high polish).

Love them, haven't even bothered to try out new irons since getting them... I love them that much.

I had them and enjoyed playing with them, until I was selected to review the Rocketbladez. The 2.0 was a great forgiving iron, my only gripe was that I had real consistency of distance issues when hit in different spots on the face. I would have a number that I knew I would hit most of the time, but would hit a few flush and have a flier 15yds more than expected. Other than that, mis-hits were forgiven pretty well, and I thought they were decent looking irons (I had the high polish). Good luck with your new irons!

I had them and enjoyed playing with them, until I was selected to review the Rocketbladez. The 2.0 was a great forgiving iron, my only gripe was that I had real consistency of distance issues when hit in different spots on the face. I would have a number that I knew I would hit most of the time, but would hit a few flush and have a flier 15yds more than expected. Other than that, mis-hits were forgiven pretty well, and I thought they were decent looking irons (I had the high polish). Good luck with your new irons!

I smoked my long irons with this set, but like you, the inconsistency in distance was what made me go to a different set. These are great starter irons for a mid-high handicapper though.

I've owned mine since May, and I love them. Gained about a club and a half of distance and a lower, stronger ball flight through the middle irons. Very happy, especially for the price.

I still game mine, but they are the HP version (high polish).

Love them, haven't even bothered to try out new irons since getting them... I love them that much.

Same story here, I love my HP irons

Give them some time, they might be ugly lol, but they work well, I still play the ones I bought 2 years ago, and haven't seen a reason to upgrade yet. Did you get the black ones?

I actually think they look pretty good. The ones I got are silver not really black. I heard the black ones fade badly.
Other than that I guess they aren't any different.

Back