TaylorMade Burner 2.0 Irons - Forum Testing Review

Played my second round at Newcastle ( http://www.newcastlegolf.com/subcontent.aspx?SecID=377 ) with the 2.0's and was just as impressed as the first. Already, I would recommend these clubs to anyone who asked, especially if you are length challenged. Here are some highlights.

Hole 1: 535 yard par 5. Drove it in the right rough. Hit a layup 5 iron about 200 out of a deep lie. Had about 90 left and made par

Hole 2: Downhill 212 yard par 3. Here we go, my favorite new 200 yard club... 6iron. I still can't believe this is my 200 yard club. Hit it beautifully but pull it left. Just left of the green and bunker pin high. Bogey

Hole 3: Downhill 320 yard drivable par 4. Hit my 6 iron again. Love this thing! Another slight pull, but bomb it 225 downhill. Ball flight is awesome. Barely in the left rough, missed my birdie putt.

Hole 4: 490 yard par 5. First chance to hit the 4 iron. Honestly wasn't comfy since I havent hit one in a couple of years. Had 220 yards slightly uphill into a bottleneck. Not much room on either side of the green. I set up to play a fade because that is my natural shot. Took about 7 practice swings and let it rip. Great contact, great feel, great sound, BAD result. HAHA. The ball had about 5 feet of fade on it, and I slightly pulled it. It was only about 30 feet offline, but enough to one hop into the wetland hazard left. The ball flight was very nice, and loved the minor fade, ball traveled about 210 uphill into the woods. I over thought it. Should have just fired at the flag. Double Bogey.

Hole 7: slightly uphill 150 yard par 3. Hit 9 iron. Ball landed on th front, but it had too much spin and backed off the front about 10 feet. Par

Hole 9: 144 yard par 3. Hit PW to 10 feet for birdie. Par

Hole 10: 470 yard par 5. Had 7 iron from 180 and hit it on the back fringe about 20 feet over the pin in 3. Made the fringe putt. Birdie.

Hole 11: 177 yard uphill par 3. Sucker pin buried on the right over a bunker with trouble everywhere. Need a 150 yard carry to clear the marsh. Aimed center of green with my 7 iron. Hit it exactly where I aimed. So good I wish I would have aimed at the sucker pin. Had a nearly 60 foot putt and 3 putted. Played it exactly how I planned. Didn't go at a tough pin, hit middle of green, and still lose a shot. UGGGHH. HAHA. Bogey.

Hole 14: 334 yard uphill par 4: Had 140 uphill out of deep rough. Hit 9 and chunked it a bit. Ball went about 110 yards right at the pin. First loose shot with my irons of the day. Divot was huge, but even. Tells me my lie angle is good! Double Bogey

Hole 15: 143 yard par 3. PW and again, hit it a bit fat. Not a good swing at all, hit about 2 inches behind the ball and only hit it about 125 yards. Got up and down. Par

Hole 16: 430 yard par 4. Toughest hole on the back 9. Hit a good drive yet it leaked into the rough on the right. Had 157 yards to a back pin out of the rough. There was a backstop directly behind the pin so I could hit it 163 and it would come back to the hole. Hit it 164! Seriously! 1 yard too far and it hung up in the rough. Loved the shot. High and tracking the pin. If it was 2 feet shorter it would have hit the slope and had a chance to go in. Now I am short sided and downhill. Couldn't get up and down. Bogey

In summation, I am very impressed with the 2.0's, maybe even moreso than the first round. I hit them very straight and very long. I also just can't seem to get over how great it feels when you hit these right. So smooth. Ended up shooting 83.
The KBS Tour shafts are everything I thought they would be, and the combo with the 2.0 head is just plain AWESOME! My ball flight is slightly lower than it was with the R9 and I am very happy about that. I had a tendancy to balloon the R9 and have had no such issues so far with the 2.0. The look at address is very pleasing to my eye and the two tone look is very cool if nothing else. Every time I pull one out of the bag I think to myself how lucky I am to have these and how pretty they are.

Last edited:
Possible skim alert.

For the testers who opted for the upgraded shafts, do you think you're loosing distance by going with the heavier shafts as oposed the lighter stock shafts? From my understanding, the Burners are designed to be longer by having those lighter/longer shafts. Any thoughts?

I doubt I am losing any distance. I have gained 10 yards+ on every club and 15 on some of my longer irons. My shafts are KBS Tours, standard +.5". They are slightly shorter than the stock 2.0 shaft. Maybe I would have gained 15 yards with the stock, I am not sure. I can't imagine it is much of a difference since I have gained a club +. I am hitting my 2.0 irons rediculously long, I am not sure I want any more length anyway. I am consistantly hitting my 6 iron 205 and my 9 iron 155. Can't complain about that! :mohawk:

Great write ups on your rounds guys. I'll get out for at least one round this weekend for sure, and another range session tomorrow too. (Assuming the weather cooperates)

I'm trying man... if anyone has a stock stiff 6 iron they are no longer using, I will pay for shipping to test for you guys. :)

I will be able to do this test. My instructor has a TM fitting cart and he has a 2.0 6 iron with the stock shaft. It may be early next week, but I will get it done! :mohawk:

I am not a tester and don't claim to know as much as some on this site in terms of equipment and specs but aren't the KBS Tours about an inch and a half longer standard.

I don't think they are, unless you order them that way.

Played my second round at Newcastle ( http://www.newcastlegolf.com/subcontent.aspx?SecID=377 ) with the 2.0's and was just as impressed as the first. Already, I would recommend these cubs to anyone who asked, especially if you are length challenged. Here are some highlights.

Hole 1: 535 yard par 5. Drove it in the right rough. Hit a layup 5 iron about 200 out of a deep lie. Had about 90 left and made par

Hole 2: Downhill 212 yard par 3. Here we go, my favorite new 200 yard club... 6iron. I still can't believe this is my 200 yard club. Hit it beautifully but pull it left. Just left of the green and bunker pin high. Bogey

Hole 3: Downhill 320 yard drivable par 4. Hit my 6 iron again. Love this thing! Another slight pull, but bomb it 225 downhill. Ball flight is awesome. Barely in the left rough, missed my birdie putt.

Hole 4: 490 yard par 5. First chance to hit the 4 iron. Honestly wasn't comfy since I havent hit one in a couple of years. Had 220 yards slightly uphill into a bottleneck. Not much room on either side of the green. I set up to play a fade because that is my natural shot. Took about 7 practice swings and let it rip. Great contact, great feel, great sound, BAD result. HAHA. The ball had about 5 feet of fade on it, and I slightly pulled it. It was only about 30 feet offline, but enough to one hop into the wetland hazard left. The ball flight was very nice, and loved the minor fade, ball traveled about 210 uphill into the woods. I over thought it. Should have just fired at the flag. Double Bogey.

Hole 7: slightly uphill 150 yard par 3. Hit 9 iron. Ball landed on th front, but it had too much spin and backed off the front about 10 feet. Par

Hole 9: 144 yard par 3. Hit PW to 10 feet for birdie. Par

Hole 10: 470 yard par 5. Had 7 iron from 180 and hit it on the back fringe about 20 feet over the pin in 3. Made the fringe putt. Birdie.

Hole 11: 177 yard uphill par 3. Sucker pin buried on the right over a bunker with trouble everywhere. Need a 150 yard carry to clear the marsh. Aimed center of green with my 7 iron. Hit it exactly where I aimed. So good I wish I would have aimed at the sucker pin. Had a nearly 60 foot putt and 3 putted. Played it exactly how I planned. Didn't go at a tough pin, hit middle of green, and still lose a shot. UGGGHH. HAHA. Bogey.

Hole 14: 334 yard uphill par 4: Had 140 uphill out of deep rough. Hit 9 and chunked it a bit. Ball went about 110 yards right at the pin. First loose shot with my irons of the day. Divot was huge, but even. Tells me my lie angle is good! Double Bogey

Hole 15: 143 yard par 3. PW and again, hit it a bit fat. Not a good swing at all, hit about 2 inches behind the ball and only hit it about 125 yards. Got up and down. Par

Hole 16: 430 yard par 4. Toughest hole on the back 9. Hit a good drive yet it leaked into the rough on the right. Had 157 yards to a back pin out of the rough. There was a backstop directly behind the pin so I could hit it 163 and it would come back to the hole. Hit it 164! Seriously! 1 yard too far and it hung up in the rough. Loved the shot. High and tracking the pin. If it was 2 feet shorter it would have hit the slope and had a chance to go in. Now I am short sided and downhill. Couldn't get up and down. Bogey

In summation, I am very impressed with the 2.0's, maybe even moreso than the first round. I hit them very straight and very long. I also just can't seem to get over how great it feels when you hit these right. So smooth. Ended up shooting 83.
The KBS Tour shafts are everything I thought they would be, and the combo with the 2.0 head is just plain AWESOME! My ball flight is slightly lower than it was with the R9 and I am very happy about that. I had a tendancy to balloon the R9 and have had no such issues so far with the 2.0. The look at address is very pleasing to my eye and the two tone look is very cool if nothing else. Every time I pull one out of the bag I think to myself how lucky I am to have these and how pretty they are.

Nice write up Tomahawk. I love the distances you're getting!

I have been tracking this thread for awhile all of it has been very informative my one question would how is the feel of the shaft
and can you feel where the head is during the swing?

I have been tracking this thread for awhile all of it has been very informative my one question would how is the feel of the shaft

We have 3 different shafts going on in this thread. The KBS Tours feel amazing to me so far. They have slightly lowered my ball flight and the 2.0/KBS Tour combo has increased my distance by 10+ yards. As far as the clubhead question... I am not sure what you mean, I have never had a shaft where I didn't know where the clubhead was. Can you elaborate?

surely I have heard some say with some configurations they could not feel if the club head was in a bad position or not ie closed or open speaking for myself with the burner 1.0s when I hit them at a demo day the shaft was so light that it felt to me that I was swinging a stick with a rock on the end

Possible skim alert.

For the testers who opted for the upgraded shafts, do you think you're leaving distance on the table by going with the heavier shafts as oposed the lighter stock shafts? From my understanding, the Burners are designed to be longer by having those lighter/longer shafts. Any thoughts?

It's hard to say. I'm gaining about 5-10 yards per club. I don't really see the lighter shafts giving much more distance than that, but it's certainly possible. Should be hitting some tomorrow if weather cooperates. Took today off to watch my beloved Braves.

Tappin' away from my DROIDX.

I saw Yorkems and the are very nice clubs. I keep hearing the same things about how smooth they are through the swing. Look, feel, and sound like a great set of irons.

For me, the shaft feels amazing. I'm using the Project X Flighted 5.5, and I couldn't be happier. I'm finally getting used to the weight too.

Tappin' away from my DROIDX.

surely I have heard some say with some configurations they could not feel if the club head was in a bad position or not ie closed or open speaking for myself with the burner 1.0s when I hit them at a demo day the shaft was so light that it felt to me that I was swinging a stick with a rock on the end

I have 120 gram stiff shaft and have had no such issue. The KBS Tour Stiff were recommended at a fitting I did last year, so they feel great to me, and I definetely know when I am out of position. Have you ever been fitted?

Hawk i have never been fitted i have been to demo days with launch monitors but never had a full out fitting

Hawk i have never been fitted i have been to demo days with launch monitors but never had a full out fitting

I would recommend it if you can. Knowing you are gaming a set the has the right shafts is really a good feeling.

at least go find a shop with a mizuno shaft optimizer. All the local Golfsmiths, Golf Galaxys, etc have one free for you to use. Its an iron with a mini computer unit on it that will recommend 2 shafts for you based on swingspeed, kick point, toedown, etc etc. Search THP for 'Mizuno Shaft Optimizer' and there are some lengthy threads on it.

thanks I think I will do that my local fitter should have that

Enjoy reading the feedback on these irons, keep it up!

To me this feeling has everything to do with the weight of the shaft. Heavier shaft=more feel of where the club is during the swing. I'm sure it actually has more to do with swing weight but to me the shaft weight matters a lot.

Glad to see everyone is liking these clubs. They will be my next investment, somewhere down the road.

I have had no issue with feeling like I have lost the feel of where the club head is thus far, but I will pay more attention to it on my next range session (hopefully today if the weather permits it) and let you know for certain, but I don't think it is an issue for me.

Last edited:
I have had no issue with feeling like I have lost the feel of where the club head is thus far, but I will pay more attention to it on my next range session (hoefully today if the weather permits it) and let you know for certain, but I don't think it is an issue for me.

I haven't seen this problem either. I feel like every shot I hit is going to be in the sweetspot. However, I'm still getting used to the extra 1/2" or so.

thanks to all who replied to my question i will be looking for updates

Glad to see everyone is liking these clubs. They will be my next investment, somewhere down the road.

If I were you, I would put a big move on saving for them. I didn't think they would change my game that much, but I could not have been more wrong. When I got mine, I instantly clubbed down 1 club. Now, with some lessons under my belt and a much improved swing I have dropped down another full club. Nothing like standing over an 8-iron from 150 and knowing with some certainty that I can stick the green. Obviously that still doesn't happen as often as I'd like, but it's WAY more often than with my old irons.

Back