TaylorMade Launches R11 Irons

Im going the other way on this one. Tough time of year to launch, economy struggling and the R series of irons are never the top TM seller.

I have to agree, with the TP line just having came out being forged and all, I mean, serious golfers would never play these.

Im going the other way on this one. Tough time of year to launch, economy struggling and the R series of irons are never the top TM seller.

I think I will agree. This economy is really going to start scaring people, if they aren't scared enough. Also I just feel like they launched these late in the season and wont get a ton of sales because of that as well, but if anyone can it would be TM

Interesting thought for sure. Youre right though, I dont see a big splash happening now that you put it that way.

But with the whole R11/white driver thing, I think the buzz might hang around a little longer than the typical iron set buzz. By then though, TM may have a Burner 3.5 released :alien:.

I think I will agree. This economy is really going to start scaring people, if they aren't scared enough. Also I just feel like they launched these late in the season and wont get a ton of sales because of that as well, but if anyone can it would be TM

Oh, I believe they will get a ton of sales. Dont get me wrong, I just dont think they will be the top sales line in TM.

Interesting thought for sure. Youre right though, I dont see a big splash happening now that you put it that way.

But with the whole R11/white driver thing, I think the buzz might hang around a little longer than the typical iron set buzz. By then though, TM may have a Burner 3.5 released :alien:.

I thought that with the R9 too. The original R9 sales were astonishing (much like the R11) and the irons were very good too. But even the R9 irons played second fiddle in sales as Burner irons became the #1 selling irons in the US last year.

Curious, I was at the shop yesterday talking to the salesman about these and he told me these are not in between the burners and the CB's that these are in fact CB's rebadged and the CB line has already been discontinued.

Wonder if any truth to this since they do look very very similiar.

Curious, I was at the shop yesterday talking to the salesman about these and he told me these are not in between the burners and the CB's that these are in fact CB's rebadged and the CB line has already been discontinued.

There is absolutely no truth to that at all. They are a completely different head and share virtually nothing in common other than the weight. They are not even made the same way.

There is absolutely no truth to that at all. They are a completely different head and share virtually nothing in common other than the weight. They are not even made the same way.

Thats what I was afraid of. After reading all the info here and seeing the price being $100 less and not forged I was skeptical of his comments, but I didn't want to let him know i was more informed than him. Thanks JB!

Really concerns me when salespeople feed consumers garbage like that. I mean, my wife could look at the pictures of the two lines and debunk that line of thinking.

If the Burner 2.0's continue to do well and the R11's do as well as expected, where will that leave the CB's? I assume TM would keep the MB's and MC's but what about the CB's? I would think the R11 would be a better option for those looking at the CB's but want more distance and forgiveness?

If the Burner 2.0's continue to do well and the R11's do as well as expected, where will that leave the CB's? I assume TM would keep the MB's and MC's but what about the CB's? I would think the R11 would be a better option for those looking at the CB's but want more distance and forgiveness?

people who want a cavity back that is buttery soft forged

I dont think they see it like that. Previously they had Burners, Burner Plus, R7/9, Tour Preferred, etc...
I view the TP line as one line of clubs. They can be ordered as a set, or mixed and matched.

Gotcha...if they're thinking the TP line will be the mix and match capability in addition to ordering the TP offerings as individual sets then this is an even better move by TM

I dont think they see it like that. Previously they had Burners, Burner Plus, R7/9, Tour Preferred, etc...
I view the TP line as one line of clubs. They can be ordered as a set, or mixed and matched.

I currently play R9's. These R11's (and I am saying this without having seen them in person or hitting them yet), have not made me feel like I have to give them a shot to replace the R9's. Half of this has to do with I don't find them particularly improved over the R9's - they are more of an evolution, and the other half is that I hit the R9's so well I really don't want to change.

people who want a cavity back that is buttery soft forged

+1...

I think the press the R11 driver has gotten this year will increase the "demand" for these irons. I have a feeling these irons will find a nice home in the TM iron line-up. The way the 2.0's have been selling I can see these selling just as well. Does anyone know if TM releases sales figures on specific products (irons, drivers, ect.)? I tried looking but couldn't pull up any definitive details.

The way the 2.0's have been selling I can see these selling just as well. Does anyone know if TM releases sales figures on specific products (irons, drivers, ect.)? I tried looking but couldn't pull up any definitive details.

They do not to the public.
I can tell you that if I was a betting man, I would say there is no way the R11 sells like the Burner series. Just like the R9 to Burner before it. I think with their fast cycles, people forget just how big the R9 driver was.

Man I just got my 2.0s and have finally got used to them. Sure would like to try these just to see how they feel compared to my set.

I find it funny to read that people are upset with TM bringing out a new option for us?!?! The R11 line is arguably the hottest lineup in recent history, to not capitalize on the potential sales would have been criminal!

Pardon the skimming, but have any of the MCers that are planning on gaming these without swinging them, received their sticks? How are they treating you?

Wow beautiful set of clubs, they are most definitly on my wish list!!

Pardon the skimming, but have any of the MCers that are planning on gaming these without swinging them, received their sticks? How are they treating you?

Heez - We have not received them yet. I believe JB is the only one who has a set in hand at this point and he has made a few posts of impressions in this thread.

I like the sound of its in the middle of MB's and 2.0's. The 2.0's are far hitters but are got great around the greens. The MB's are long enough and are awsome around the greens. So these clubs will been the one's that will inprove my game and cut more strokes off my game. And the look is awsome, their going to look great in my TM bag

I am surprised in that they already have a full TP line.. Very interesting thought though.

I was thinking they had the R7 TP and R9 TP so why not the R11 TP but I wasn't think about the fact that they just released the Tour Preferred line - and I own the MCs. Haha. I can see that, but then again, when they released the MB, MC, and CB this year I thought that was it for their irons. I didn't think they would release any R11 irons - nor do I think many people thought an R11 iron was coming.

i cant wait to demo them...if they are half as good as the r11 driver they will definitely go in my bag

I had the opportunity today to demo a lefty 6 iron. Interestingly, my pro set it up for me with a stiff graphite shaft. I asked why and he said he felt like I could hit it. Boy I did! I was really impressed with the distance on this thing. I normally hit a five hybrid from about 160, but today hit this thing and hit more greens than I have in a while. The balance of the club was really nice, with a nice high ball flight and even on mishits penalized a little, but not real bad. I was kind of thinking that it's an updated version of my RAC LT2's as far as the top line goes and how the club sits at address. I am hopeful of hitting it again in the next couple of days and will report back on my findings.

A little FYI on the new Penta 322 ball. My pro tells me the current Penta will be phased out and the new ball will be ushered in, likely in the spring of 2012. If he happens to get some samples and I can get a couple, will report back on the new ball.

Thanks all and happy golfing!

I'm going to win these irons from THP!!!! That contest is mine!!!

I have not picked these up in a week due to MC, but I look forward to giving them a full review.

Back