TaylorMade Launches R11 Irons

I didn't think they could make white work in an iron....yet they did. Bravo :taylormade:

I made the comment to TM on Facebook that the R11's seemed to be like RAC LT2's on steroids. I am looking forward to hitting this club again hopefully later in the week...

Can't wait for that review JB. Sounds like everyone else along with myself is itching to hear how these beauties perform.

I have not picked these up in a week due to MC, but I look forward to giving them a full review.

I was thinking they had the R7 TP and R9 TP so why not the R11 TP but I wasn't think about the fact that they just released the Tour Preferred line - and I own the MCs. Haha. I can see that, but then again, when they released the MB, MC, and CB this year I thought that was it for their irons. I didn't think they would release any R11 irons - nor do I think many people thought an R11 iron was coming.

Tough call, and I was definitely on the fence, but I certainly didn't think TaylorMade was going to limit themselves to only one NON-TP iron set.. (two I guess if you include the burner superlaunch)..

One week from tomorrow I will be swinging these sticks and just can't wait!!! I'm going to hit many many balls.

I really want to read some reviews on these. I know I mentioned it before, but I really liked the R9 TP and sent it back due to the MCs coming out. I really wonder how these stack up against the R9 TP as they might be the right iron for me given that the MC seems a little tough for me at times.

I am really anxious to hear how you guys hit these irons! I know a bunch of the MC'ers ordered these without having a chance to swing them so this should be interesting.

If the Burner 2.0's continue to do well and the R11's do as well as expected, where will that leave the CB's? I assume TM would keep the MB's and MC's but what about the CB's? I would think the R11 would be a better option for those looking at the CB's but want more distance and forgiveness?

I'm sorry Hanks, but this seems an odd comment to me, given what I perceive to be big a big difference between the TP line an the R11. I'm of the opinion that the CB market would be just as big as the R11 market, if not bigger.

People buy on perception. The forged face on the CB gives it a players feel and the TP family looks will definitely sway plenty of punters in their direction.

With regards to the comment "I would think the R11 would be a better option for those looking at the CB's but want more distance and forgiveness?" As true as that definitely is, you could make exactly the same argument for people looking at the MB for whom the MC may be better suited, or the MC to the CB, or even the R11 to the 2.0 for that matter. Horses for courses.

Speaking from my own experiences, I've ordered a CB/MC combo. I don't need the extra distance offered by the R11. I already hit my PW 130m, I don't need it to go 140m. But I do need a touch more forgiveness than the MC can offer in my long irons - enter the CB.

Not that it makes any difference, and I'm certainly not trying to pick a fight, the comment just stood out to me.

Cheers,

I'm sorry Hanks, but this seems an odd comment to me, given what I perceive to be big a big difference between the TP line an the R11. I'm of the opinion that the CB market would be just as big as the R11 market, if not bigger.

People buy on perception. The forged face on the CB gives it a players feel and the TP family looks will definitely sway plenty of punters in their direction.

With regards to the comment "I would think the R11 would be a better option for those looking at the CB's but want more distance and forgiveness?" As true as that definitely is, you could make exactly the same argument for people looking at the MB for whom the MC may be better suited, or the MC to the CB, or even the R11 to the 2.0 for that matter. Horses for courses.

Speaking from my own experiences, I've ordered a CB/MC combo. I don't need the extra distance offered by the R11. I already hit my PW 130m, I don't need it to go 140m. But I do need a touch more forgiveness than the MC can offer in my long irons - enter the CB.

Not that it makes any difference, and I'm certainly not trying to pick a fight, the comment just stood out to me.

Cheers,

Hanks is actually right in my opinion. The Burner line and the R11 line will outsell the TP line by a HUGE number (individually). Players irons just do not sell like GI irons do for a myriad of reasons. Many believe that the CB is the one that will get lost here in terms of sales for that very reason. Its too much GI for the golfing purist and not enough for those that see the R11.
As to the comment that a forged face gives it a players feel....Im not really sure what that means, but I will leave that to another thread.

Do we know if there are any MC'ers who already have Taylormade Tour Preferred irons but are receiving R11 irons? I know that seems redundant but I figured perhaps someone who bought their own may also receive some for MC and that would be a good person to review and compare.

Has anyone out there hit the CB and R11? MC and R11?

MSB - Not sure what all the others requested for the Morgan Cup, but I've been playing the Burner 2.0s since they came out last year. I requested the R11s for the Morgan Cup after hitting the CBs on several occasions. I'm not sure what iron sets the other guys who requested R11s are currently playing, but I don't specifically remember any of them currently playing the CBs or MCs.

I've hit the CB MC and MB at last years demo day that THP put on.

It was an amazing day.

Honestly the MB 9 iron was fun to hit lol,

I'll have more after monday!

Hanks is actually right in my opinion. The Burner line and the R11 line will outsell the TP line by a HUGE number (individually). Players irons just do not sell like GI irons do for a myriad of reasons. Many believe that the CB is the one that will get lost here in terms of sales for that very reason. Its too much GI for the golfing purist and not enough for those that see the R11.
As to the comment that a forged face gives it a players feel....Im not really sure what that means, but I will leave that to another thread.

I should clarify, all my thoughts got mixed together in a typing frenzy.

The bit I found odd, was the part about the R11 maybe being better suited for those looking at the CB. Mainly because you could make the same obseration about guys looking at the MB when the MC may be better suited, or MC to CB etc etc.

Can't argue with you on the sales data, you're obviously in a far better position to comment than I.

Finally the 'feel' stuff, I was merely referring to it being forged (JB, I know how you feel about people talking about 'feel' between forged and cast irons, when the research clearly shows that the difference is the sound that our brains translates as softer, rather than being a physical sensation) and was trying to encompass workability, the look, the slightly smaller head, thinner topline of a players iron v a GI iron.

Lost in translation.

Thanks guys.

I should clarify, all my thoughts got mixed together in a typing frenzy.

The bit I found odd, was the part about the R11 maybe being better suited for those looking at the CB. Mainly because you could make the same obseration about guys looking at the MB when the MC may be better suited, or MC to CB etc etc.

Lost in translation.

Hanks was speaking in terms of sales as I was I believe. I believe the CB is the iron that will get left out to dry here. In my opinion by the end of the year, the numbers will show the that the CB was the least selling of the 4 cavity backed irons by a pretty large margin. Why? Because as I have stated and merely my opinion, the golfing purists do not care for it to an extent (want something thinner) and the big box weekend player buys Burners or R11s.

Are they a bad iron? of course not, quite the contrary actually. But when it comes to numbers, despite all the critical praise in previous lines, the Burners have come close to outselling all of their other irons combined in the last 2 years. Im just glad you found your set that works great for you. In the end, that is all that really matters of course.

Last edited:
We I was at a local course yesterday picking up a new wedge, I had the chance to hold the new R11 head. My first impressions were that it was a beautiful head. I really like the nut in the back and I think they would look awesome in a bag. I have had the R9s for about a year and a half. I personally think the R11 head is bigger or chunkier looking than the R9. That is one of my favorite features of the R9s how sleek the back is. I think I would have to get over that factor of these irons. I am not a big fan of pocket cavity back irons. The top line of them did seem thicker than the R9s too. That doesn't bother me that much. I hope to get to hit these irons soon. I had my son with me and didn't want to pawn him off on the pro to get a chance to hit them. I am a really big fan of my R9s and hope that the R11s are just as good of an iron. If that is so I think I might be pondering them down the road.

Really concerns me when salespeople feed consumers garbage like that. I mean, my wife could look at the pictures of the two lines and debunk that line of thinking.
It really is disturbing when you talk to salespeople and you can tell they are talking out of their butt. It happens all the time.

+1 or when you drop knowledge on them about stuff that's not even out yet? the looks on their faces are priceless

It really is disturbing when you talk to salespeople and you can tell they are talking out of their butt. It happens all the time.

I was going to order a set of CB's for my son bent 2 degrees upright and was told that they no longer are making these clubs. If I wanted the set, I would have to purchase a standard set and have them bent a a golf shop.
Curious, I was at the shop yesterday talking to the salesman about these and he told me these are not in between the burners and the CB's that these are in fact CB's rebadged and the CB line has already been discontinued.

Wonder if any truth to this since they do look very very similiar.

I was going to order a set of CB's for my son bent 2 degrees upright and was told that they no longer are making these clubs. If I wanted the set, I would have to purchase a standard set and have them bent a a golf shop.

That is just absolutely not true. I asked TaylorMade this very question this morning.

We I was at a local course yesterday picking up a new wedge, I had the chance to hold the new R11 head. My first impressions were that it was a beautiful head. I really like the nut in the back and I think they would look awesome in a bag. I have had the R9s for about a year and a half. I personally think the R11 head is bigger or chunkier looking than the R9. That is one of my favorite features of the R9s how sleek the back is. I think I would have to get over that factor of these irons. I am not a big fan of pocket cavity back irons. The top line of them did seem thicker than the R9s too. That doesn't bother me that much. I hope to get to hit these irons soon. I had my son with me and didn't want to pawn him off on the pro to get a chance to hit them. I am a really big fan of my R9s and hope that the R11s are just as good of an iron. If that is so I think I might be pondering them down the road.

dont ponder....buy!

I was fortunate to be at the range the day the R11s arrived for demo and got to hit them. I will say they are solid clubs but i find them a bit too big for me. They aren't really that big at all just not what i was looking for. As far as feel they are solid, they felt like the Razr X tours to me and looked kinda similar at address. I liked the feel of the Mizuno irons i have hit better than that of the R11.

As far as feel they are solid, they felt like the Razr X tours to me and looked kinda similar at address. I liked the feel of the Mizuno irons i have hit better than that of the R11.

Not criticizing your opinion at all with this comment.

Those two lines of comment have me pretty sure that I will love these as I think the Razr X Tours are the best looking irons that I have handled this year, and I hate the feel of Mizunos.

Not criticizing your opinion at all with this comment.

Those two lines of comment have me pretty sure that I will love these as I think the Razr X Tours are the best looking irons that I have handled this year, and I hate the feel of Mizunos.

Feel is all opinion really same with look so no criticize taken. The Razr X Tours look good and the R11 looks good to as an iron to me just looking at cavity and so forth but as far as addressing it i find it to be too thick of an iron for me. I'm a taylormade guy but will be getting Mizuno irons because the feel is amazing to me.

Can't wait to start swinging these bad boys!

Back