TaylorMade Launches R11 Irons

Yeah. Pulls and heavy draws and some pulls with draws. Basically a big case of the lefts. Knockdowns are only a little left. I have my matchplay league bright and early and plan to hit the range tomorrow evening. I will update after.

Youve played with me so you know I have no business giving you any tips or anyone for that matter BUT for me going left usually starts with the takeaway. Im usually coming too inside as I take the club back.

Its a frustratingly awesome swing.

haha. It may look pretty, but the results are lacking.

Screw the pulls. That swing looked really good. Post one down the line tomorrow. Maybe you're coming just a tad over the top.

But really, your swing looks so good I'm a little nauseated.

Kevin

Thanks. I will see what I can do to get some more vids. Sometimes crackers or a red bull will make me feel a little better.

Youve played with me so you know I have no business giving you any tips or anyone for that matter BUT for me going left usually starts with the takeaway. Im usually coming too inside as I take the club back.

I don't mind tips...I typically welcome them. I will try that tomorrow morning before my round and see what happens, but I know exactly what you are talking about and you may be onto something.

I watched a couple more times. When the club hits waist high on the takeaway it does not look inside, but of course this isn't the best angle. A little quick turning the hips out as the weight shifts to the left side can cause a slight over the top move. Maybe that's it, but it's not very evident.

I'm thinking you're just getting the feel of these clubs. Your swing looks great. Don't over think it.

Kevin

haha. It may look pretty, but the results are lacking.

Thanks. I will see what I can do to get some more vids. Sometimes crackers or a red bull will make me feel a little better.

What happened to Snickers and Mountain Dew?

I watched a couple more times. When the club hits waist high on the takeaway it does not look inside, but of course this isn't the best angle. A little quick turning the hips out as the weight shifts to the left side can cause a slight over the top move. Maybe that's it, but it's not very evident.

I'm thinking you're just getting the feel of these clubs. Your swing looks great. Don't over think it.

Kevin

Thanks for the thoughts Kevin. I will try and get a few more vids tomorrow. The irons are still in the break in stage and I'm sure everything will work out. I do love these irons though.

What happened to Snickers and Mountain Dew?

haha. Those cure a hungry golfer. Crackers and red bull will cure nauseousness and mild hangovers.

I don't mind tips...I typically welcome them. I will try that tomorrow morning before my round and see what happens, but I know exactly what you are talking about and you may be onto something.

Like Esox says its hard to tell from that view. Usually you need a shot from behind to see the club head path. But its when you take the club back and to the inside of the target line going back from the ball. Then on the downswing you try to correct it by coming over the top. Ball goes left. Something to look at tomorrow on the range.

I finally got to see these in person last night at Dick's. They looked really nice overall, but having played the Pro Combo's for the last few months with their really thin top line, I couldn't help but notice how thick the top line looked. It would take a while to get used to looking down at that again. Also, it wasn't just the R11's that looked that way - almost every iron i pulled off the wall looked big and thick compared to what I am hitting now.

That's exactly how I felt. I saw the irons in shops the past week and thought it looked OK in terms of thickness. Went to a TM demo day today, and for some reason the topline seemed really thick at address. I know it's natural for GI irons to look thicker than the MP-30's I have (and I NEED some GI irons), but it will take quite a bit of getting used to.

So the demo stand was kind of a letdown - they only have a bunch of 7-irons with different shafts so I couldn't really get a feel of the distance across the set. The worst part was that they only had three 7-irons with steel shafts, one is with the KBS 90 regular, and the other ones are with the NSPRO950GH shaft in regular and stiff flexes(I guess this is the Japanese spec shaft). Since I have been using the DG S300, I tried the NSPRO stiff and the shaft didn't work for me at all - the shaft was really light and the balance of the club just felt weird. They didn't have the KBS in stiff, so I tried the regular anyway and hit it OK. The ball flight is lower than my MP-30's and it was maybe 7 to 10 yards longer. I haven't compared the loft between the two though. Good hits feel really soft and mishits felt OK too.

I felt that it's a pretty good iron but I guess I was expecting more after reading all the positive reviews here. Maybe they just didn't have the right shaft for me. Unfortunately the TM shop (the only place in town that does TM fittings) is under renovation for another month so it will be a while before I get to spend more quality time with it.

What is it about a topline that is thicker bothers people? Honestly curious as I don't think I've ever used that as a criteria in picking a club

What is it about a topline that is thicker bothers people? Honestly curious as I don't think I've ever used that as a criteria in picking a club

For me I think it is just what I am familiar with and like anything it would just take some time to get comfortable with. I don't think it would prevent me from buying a set of clubs.

For me I think it is just what I am familiar with and like anything it would just take some time to get comfortable with. I don't think it would prevent me from buying a set of clubs.

Yeah, it bothers me just because it's different from what I'm used to, it kept drawing my attention at address. I won't rule out the clubs because of that - as long as I can find the right shaft and it helps my game, I'll definitely consider them.

Thanks for answering. Does it actually affect how you hit the ball? I mean I am a mental basket case so I am not taking shots here.

I'm not a fan of thicker toplines. I just don't like the looks of them and it doesn't give me much confidence at address. My R9's have a medium topline, but I have hit irons with thinner topline and I have to say I like them a lot. I hit them well. I think that's what it comes down to in the end- which you hit better.

Thanks for answering. Does it actually affect how you hit the ball? I mean I am a mental basket case so I am not taking shots here.

Personally I don't think so. It is more about alignment for me and how the club frames the ball. When you have looked down on the thinner top line my whole golfing life it would take a period of adjustment to go to something different but I don't think it would actually affect hitting the ball.

Gotcha. Thanks man

It's always the Mizuno fans that say this too. Topline thickness plays no role in anything to me. It's not something I pay attention to.....ever.

tapatalk: even available for lefties!

It's always the Mizuno fans that say this too. Topline thickness plays no role in anything to me. It's not something I pay attention to.....ever.

Same here. I mean if it were 1/2" thick than maybe it would be noticeable, but it's not really something I notice when addressing the ball.

Ok how do I put this. I don't like a thick topline but it also wouldn't affect a purchase or use if I hit the club well. I'm an aestetics guy, what can I say? Stupid? yes. However it is what it is. I have to like the "feel" of the club in my hand and part of that is how the club looks.

No it does not, but say if you have been driving a Lamborghini for a few years, you'd be all used to its sharp edges and probably wouldn't consider a Porsche as your next ride? (if that makes any sense)

Ok how do I put this. I don't like a thick topline but it also wouldn't affect a purchase or use if I hit the club well. I'm an aestetics guy, what can I say? Stupid? yes. However it is what it is. I have to like the "feel" of the club in my hand and part of that is how the club looks.

But you're a diva.

No it does not, but say if you have been driving a Lamborghini for a few years, you'd be all used to its sharp edges and probably wouldn't consider a Porsche as your next ride? (if that makes any sense)

Pretty good analogy. At least to someone who knows cars.

Jrod is a diva!

I'm completely with JRod on this one. I know full well that what "I" think about the club won't affect the way the club performs, I just get caught up with the topline catching my attention at address and I think somewhere in the back of my brain, I feel the unnecessary need to compensate for what I perceive as a "larger club head"...or something like that. I know I'm wrong, but I just can't seem to shake the feeling.

Back