TaylorMade R11 Irons - Review Thread - Forum Testing Reviews

Good write ups Buck and Tadashi

After reading all these great reviews, I hit an R11 7i today at EW. It had the KBS 90 shafts but in R-flex. They felt and sounded really crisp. I'm used to more of a thud with my cheapo irons. I wish I could have hit the S-flex though.

Good writeups guys.

Buck.--- That is a large gap between your 4i and PW. 90 yds or so. From my experience with teaching, learning, and playing, that is a 25-40 yd distance loss at least. Do you know why that could be? Are those distances CARRY distances?

i only carry i never roll out any full shots usually. even my 4 irons will usually stick where ever they land. i had a shot with my 5 iron today and it hit the green and backed up 6 inches. from where my divot was. so my carry and roll out are the same. mainly due to my high ball flight. this has always been the case for any iron shots. Even my drives plug a lot or are behind my divots in the fairway. i still crush my drives and get good distances on my clubs i think, i mean im very happy with them. Im not 100% sure why i have a lesson at golftec tomorrow morning ill speak with my instructor and ask what he thinks. i did close the gap with my PW today was hitting it 130 with no problem i think i was zoned in at the range at 120 marker and just wasn't hitting it full for those shots. so that was nice to see. Hope this sort of answers your question.

After reading all these great reviews, I hit an R11 7i today at EW. It had the KBS 90 shafts but in R-flex. They felt and sounded really crisp. I'm used to more of a thud with my cheapo irons. I wish I could have hit the S-flex though.

Glad you got a chance to hit them. i couldn't stop reading the reviews on here before i hit the 6 iron and after i finally got to hit one i was stalking the threads and couldn't wait to hit them again. i was lucky enough to hit them with a few different shafts that always makes such a big difference. i am really digging the KBS 90 shafts though.

Uh oh! R11's in the house!

I think my current irons knew these were waiting for me b/c they didn't behave for me today at all.

I'm going to take some pics shortly.

Been waiting for you to get yours...

I think my current irons knew these were waiting for me b/c they didn't behave for me today at all.

NICE!!!!!!

Nothing sexier than left handed R11's. Can't wait to see them.

I was actually comparing the R9 TP and the R11 heads to each other at the golf store today. They actually are very very similar. The R11's are a little more thicker all around and a bit more space in the back in between the face and back metal part as a result. Didnt realize they were so similar. I think if they made a set of the R11's with the same thickness of the R9 TP's, they would be sweet.

Glad to hear, TC! That's amazingly fast compared to some deliveries to your place in the past. I'm glad you got them quickly dude.

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]TaylormadeR11 Iron Testing[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Date-9/26/11[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]IronsUsed- TaylormadeR11 Irons 4-AW Stiff Flex Steel Shafts[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]PreviousIrons-TaylormadeBurner 2.0 4-AW Stiff Flex Steel Shafts[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]BallUsed-BridgestoneTour B330RX and Pro V 1s [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]TestingConditions- Sunny75 Degrees light wind[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Location-TurtleCreek Golf Course -6375 yards 70.3/125[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Sotoday I finally got my new irons out on the course. It wasbittersweet, Let me explain, I was playing in a scramble and evenwith us hitting from the blue tees today myself and one of the otherguys really crush the ball so I didn't get to use my irons as much asI would have liked. I did decide that next time I get out alone imgonna leave my driver at home and just hit iron off of the tees andreally get a chance to use them more. But anyway the course wasSOAKED which sucked but we actually played well for the conditions Ithought. We ended up shooting -8 and got 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] place. Soheres my thoughts for todays round.....[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]westarted on hole 5 and I took notes for every hole even with the otherguys in my group asking what I was writing in my diary all day. Ikept it up so I would be able to remember all my shots and thoughts.Also all distances are to the pin I used my Bushnell hybridrangefinder so they are accurate. [/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Hole5- 402 yard par 4- after our drive we had 91 yards to the pin so Ididn't get to use my irons here hit a 52* within 4 feet drained theputt for a birdie. Actually used all my shots on this hole so I knewtoday was gonna be a good golf day for me and all in all it was verygood.[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Hole6- 426 yard par 4- after our drive here we were in the first cut ofrough with 194 yards left to the pin. The pin was in the very backof the green I decided to hit my 5 iron a little lighter than normalsince I was hitting that about 200 yards the other day and I hadplenty of room short of the flag. I ended up chunking the shot andalthough I lost some distance it still travelled 180-185 yards andlanded towards the front of the green. It still hit and backed up 6”from my divot. I was impressed with the distance it travelled withme chunking the shot as bad as I did. Like I said earlier thecourse was wet so I think thats why plus I think I may have bent myknees a little to much since the ball was slightly above my feet soon this shot. But I was happy with what happened on the mishit.Ended up 2 putting for par from there. [/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Hole7- 349 yard par 4- no irons used – ended up with a birdie[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Hole8- 515 yard par 5- after our drive we had 219 yards over water wealready had a safe shot out right in front of the green so I decidedto go for the pin there wasn't much room to miss here maybe about 5-7yards of green it was a very tough pin placement. I hit my 4 ironhere and I just missed the green it was a great shot and it had areally nice baby fade on it and it was coming right back towards thepin. I thought I was gonna stick it close. But it came up just shortand hit the wood wall along the pond and went in the drink. Ended upchipping on and tapping in for birdie [/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Hole9- 219 yard par 3- another tough pin placement tucked behind a largebunker in the rear of a bean shaped green. I hit my 4 iron againhere had good distance with it just pulled it left a little andmissed the green by 15 feet. Ball travelled about 215 yards here andwas happy with the ball flight again with my 4 iron. We ended upchipping in from there for a birdie. Great flop shot by my buddy outof some thick rough. Turtle creek is a links course so the rough isusually thick but with the rain it hasn't been cut in a week or 2. [/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Hole10- 293 yard par 4- No irons used here was 5 feet short of drivingthe green here – birdie hole[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Hole11- 178 yard par 3- This shot was slightly uphill and usually plays alittle longer than expected. I pulled out my 7 iron here and hit anice shot on the front right of the green. Prob about 170 yards. Theball backed up about a foot or 2. I prob should have hit a light 6here but I went with the 7 instead. [/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Hole12- 325 yard par 4- dogleg left. After our drive had a 60 yard shotfrom the heavy rough I normally would hit my 64* wedge here but thegreen was above us and had an uphill slant so I decided to hit a ¾shot with my AW here and see how it rolled out. I was reallyimpressed with how it cut through the rough. This was some of thethickest rough I have seen there ever. It landed and rolled outpretty well. But it left us a pretty tough downhill putt that wemissed. Ended up with a par. [/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Hole13- 478 yard par 5- after our drive which almost was OB everyone elsewent right into the water so I of course went left. It left us with avery tough shot. 220 out with a extreme uphill lie on the side of ahill in heavy rough. We had a safe shot so I figured why not try tohit the 4 iron and see what happens even though I didn't think Iwould reach the green I though we could chip up and tap in forbirdie. I ended up hitting a decent shot for what I had. The 4 ironwent about 200-210 due to my lie but it was a well struck shot. Ijust missed the fairway short of the green about 10 yards of fairwayand right before that- of course that water I was talking aboutearlier! So I ended up in the drink. But in a normal round I defwould have laid up here this lie was just horrible. So again I washappy with what I was able to do with what I had. -ended up with abirdie. [/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Hole14- 348 yard par 4- we ended up with 129 yards after our drive here Ihit a PW even though I thought I was hitting that club 120 at therange and this shot was dead on pin high about 10' left of the hole. That was nice to see because I wanted to close that gap between my PWand 9 iron. Shot was a very high shot and was straight as an arrow. Prob one of the best shots with my irons of the day. [/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Hole15-141 yard par 3- hit my 9 iron here another great shot that wassuper straight. Was about 10 feet short and 10 feet left of the pinthis shot and my PW from the last hole were great shots and I couldfeel that they were hit perfect as soon as the ball left the club.The feedback with these irons is better than anything I have everfelt. Ill admit I have only played GI irons which I don't think havegreat feedback but its nice knowing that your shot is gonna be goodbefore you are even lifting your head to see where its going. –again another par. Just lipped out the birdie here. [/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Hole16- 385 yard par 4- No iron used here – birdie hole[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Hole17- 412 yard par 4- after the drive 166 to the flag from the firstcut of the rough with the wind in our face about 5-10 mph. Hit my 7iron here. Wow the ball had a great flight on it. Worked it from leftto right and landed pin high just left on the green I had to getaround a tree here. I was impressed with how even with my high ballflight I was able to cut through the wind and still work the ballwithout losing a lot of distance. I think my 7 iron is where I amgoing to start seeing my fade. It seems my 8-AW are all goingstraight and my 7-4 have my fade. Ive learned to play my fade itsnot that big and with these clubs it seems even less. Like a nicebaby fade, unless I mishit it. I think thats why I missed left todaywhen I did because im used to playing my fade a little more than Ineed to with these clubs. [/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Hole18- 552 yard par 5- Ok after your drive on this hole you have to layup because its 280 to the green over a huge pond protecting it. Soafter our drive I hit my 5 iron and hit a good shot about 200 yardsbut we decided to go with a better lie my shot was on a steepdownhill about 130 left we went with flat 150 yard shot into thegreen. So I got to hit my 9 iron because with the green beingdownhill it was playing about 140 yards. The ball landed 20' rightof the cup but it was the perfect distance. Another shot that hitand stuck. Ended up with a par here. [/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Atthis point one of our guys had to leave for a viewing he had to getto so I got to hit a couple extra shots for his shots which I washappy to do with these irons. [/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Hole1-373 yard par 4- after our drive 127 yard to the pin, got to checkwhere I was hitting the PW again here I hit it flush and it was about15 feet past the flag. I hit the extra shot here and put another onesame distance but right of the flag. So again I realized that I washitting the PW longer than I originally had thought. Looks closer to130 than 120. [/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Hole2- 540 yards- par 5- no iron used here- drove it then got it on in 2with my R11 2 hybrid. - birdie hole[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Hole3 141 yard par 3- hit two shots here too used my 9 iron put bothshots ended up just short of the pin and rolled back on the hill –hole was on a ridge. Again I was pleased here to see that mydistances are so much more consistent than they have been in thepast. If I hit the same shot they go the same distance. It doesn'tseem i'm gonna have any flyers with these clubs. [/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Hole4 353 yard par 4- 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] shot left us a 110 yard shot –hit 2 balls here used my AW on both of them 2 straight shots I playedone left and one right of the flag right where I had aimed on both sowe had 2 looks at the hole from pin high about 10 feet from eitherside. Again I was pleased that my distance was consistent here. AndI was able to hit where I wanted to. [/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Afterthoughts- I know this is super long and thanks for sticking in thislong. Here are my main thoughts today. Anything within I believe 160yards –8 iron and down are gonna be really great scoring clubs. Ireally felt like these clubs would go where I was aiming and the ballflight was very straight and my distances were really great withthem. Again i'm glad I closed the gap with my PW closer to my 9 ironI gotta figure out what club i'm gonna hit 120 yards prob take someoff of my PW because the gap between my PW and my AW is now possibly20 yards. But Ill work on that more later. I havn't hit enough ballsto get very solid numbers with all my irons yet. Irons 4-7 don'tfade as much as my old irons did. And I have to adjust my aimingaccordingly. But I Love the baby fade these clubs have when I hitthem good. The feed back on these Irons on good and bad hits areamazing. Its really a great feeling knowing your hitting them well. I had a few chunks today but thats normal for me but im still hittingthem straight when I chunk them and just losing about 10 yardsdistances. All in all today was a good day with them I just wish Icould have hit them more. Sorry again for the long post but I tooknotes on every hole today and just didn't wanna forget anything andthis was the easiest way for me to make sure I didn't. [/FONT]

apparently when i cut and paste my posts from word they are taking spaces away and combining words i fixed it last night but i don't wanna go through this one again. sorry guys ill post just in the forum right away from here on out. i just thought it was easier to write it up and spell check and proof read it in word first. hope you can read through it.

First and foremost and huge thank you goes to Taylormade and THP. It truly is an honor and a privilege to be involved in forum testing, especially with these irons. It's something that I love having the opportunity to do and it really does make me so grateful to be able to give back in this capacity. This is something that I take very seriously and ever since I saw these irons at the Morgan Cup, they have piqued my interest. It was even better to be able to hit them (thanks coolbreeze) and I think these irons do a great job of setting their hooks in to the user and creating a space for themselves in your mind.

It's always nice being able to bust out the camera for some unboxing pictures. It is exciting and it's a nice way to get up close and personal with the R11's. My initial impressions are that these irons look so much better when they are actually yours. I swear it! They are stunning and they make you really sit down and take them in. The amount of crazy little details are mind blowing and I think Taylormade has some really incredible features in this iron. The sole design in itself if fascinating. They really remind me of the Burner 2.0's with the detailed "channeling" on the sole. There has been some commentary on how that seems to be a turf catcher so I'll be looking forward to seeing that first hand on the range and the course.

Full disclosure: when I saw the hex-nut on the cavities of the Tour Preferred line, I liked it. It's very industrial looking and to me, it screams toughness. I like that a lot, it's something that aesthetically appeals to me so straight off the bat, I'm glad to see this feature incorporated in the R11 irons. I've always felt like that hex nut provides assistance to the golfer for being able to really feel the clubhead throughout the swing, and I suspect it also helps with balancing out the weight of the iron head.

These irons are much more compact than the Burner 2.0's and are eerily similar in shape and size to my RXT's. In fact, I think the soles look thinner, but the topline looks a little thicker, something that really holds no weight with me. My R11's came with the KBS 90 shafts in stiff flex and through many waggles and practice swings already, I love the weight and what I'm feeling. I'm extremely looking forward to putting in some good time with these at this point. What I'm really hoping is that I just don't have to be on top of my game and my swing in order to fully utilize the iron shaft and in turn, the irons.

I plan on getting these to the range tomorrow and I cannot wait to update this thread with some results and some experiences.

Here's some pictures of the unboxing:

My R11's came 3 - PW (which is awesome!) I'm excited about the prospect of having a 3iron back in the bag, so for those of you that like your 3iron, I'll be glad to report some feedback there

DSC_0246.jpg

Here's a shot of the 3iron at address. Pretty sleek looking in my opinion!

DSC_0244.jpg

A couple of pictures of the iron set:

DSC_0242.jpg

DSC_0243.jpg

The stock grips (Golf Pride Tour Velvets with "Taylormade" branding) and the KBS 90 shafts

CSC_0252.jpg

I really like these 3 pics!

CSC_0250.jpg

CSC_0249.jpg

CSC_0251.jpg

Another huge thank you to Taylormade and THP! I can't wait to get these on the course!

Nice unboxing man! I love the way some of those pics came out. Looking forward to your thoughts on these irons in the coming weeks.

Sweet.

That 3 iron looks pretty mean! I have a feeling you will end up liking that club, TC. Can't wait to see how these work out for you!

Great initial thoughts TC; those are a very sharp looking set of irons! Looking forward to hearing how they work out for you.

Tappin' from my iPad!

great pics TC, looking forward to your 3 iron thoughts. i havn't had one in my bag for quite a while. but that looks nice. ive been really impressed with my 4 iron so im sure the 3 should perform the same.

Nice job TC. Those are some good looking pictures.

Great job Buck and TC! Love the different themed pics TC! Great job!

great pics TC, looking forward to your 3 iron thoughts. i havn't had one in my bag for quite a while. but that looks nice. ive been really impressed with my 4 iron so im sure the 3 should perform the same.

I use to game the Burner 2.0 3 iron man and I rocked that club. Hawk's correct, the R11 3iron just looks like it means business. I have a sneaking suspicion that it's going to be good, like never lay up good!

These irons impress me more than I can describe. I like every single thing about them, which makes the wait to hitting them even more painful.

Glad you like them TC, they look good from every angle. Looking forward to your first range session

Kongfrontation

Way to be creative with the pics TC. Can't wait to hear all your thoughts, you seemed pretty interested in these after the MC

Nice pics and initial thoughts TC. I know you're excited about that 3 iron. You loved the burner 2.0 3 iron.

I use to game the Burner 2.0 3 iron man and I rocked that club. Hawk's correct, the R11 3iron just looks like it means business. I have a sneaking suspicion that it's going to be good, like never lay up good!

These irons impress me more than I can describe. I like every single thing about them, which makes the wait to hitting them even more painful.

i feel your pain i want to hit these every day! so far it'll be 4 days in a row tomorrow after my lesson. gonna go for a record i think.

Nice pics and initial thoughts TC. I know you're excited about that 3 iron. You loved the burner 2.0 3 iron.

Yeah, I'm pretty jazzed Kmac. After the dismal day of ball striking I had today, this unboxing couldn't happen fast enough. Gawd, they feel good in hand, real good. It's tough to describe how great the weighting feels in these irons. I want to hit them, now!

Back