TaylorMade R11 Irons - Review Thread - Forum Testing Reviews

Reviewers -

What has been the most challenging thing about switching to the R11's for your game?

What have the R11's done to make the game easier for you than when you played your previous irons?

Great questions Hawk, really looking forward to the answers

October 14, 2011
NorthShore Golf Club
735am sunny with a slight Breeze
R11 4-AW with KBS 90 shafts
All irons for 9 holes

I had a few hours to kill this morning before I had to be at my first appt. So I played the back nine of Northshore Golf Club. I played to balls off each tee and played with the irons only to give these a good test. I hit 4 iron off each tee except for the Par 3s. (9 iron and 5iorn)
I was looking for a few things out of today's nine hole round.
1. Ball flight (shape and height)
2. Distance
3. Playabilty

I was really able to see various ball flights with the 4 iron since I hit it the most of any club in the bag. If you are looking to find the fairway then these clubs will help with that. Every swing was not perfect and I hit a variety of shots off the tee. Each shot found the short stuff and was in the area I aimed. My predominate shot was a mid flight fade. Very little movement and very little role once it hit the ground.
I gave up on trying to hit the draw and just point, aimed and shot. I knew that ball would go and the distances became predictable. As I hit shots into the greens with various clubs I was greeted with consistant feeling with each club. The turf interaction was great, small divots, not too deep or long. The ball flight was mid/high, not that high ball flight I was getting with range balls. I also marveled at how easy the ball left the face of the club. I know this has a lot to do with turf interaction but it is something that struck me while hitting a few shots.
I also noticed that I am longer with my mid and short irons than I am with the longer in the set. ( at least I was today) I was happy with my overall play with the long irons but not over joyed. This a direct result of not playing them as much as my short and mid irons. These will be getting some attention in the coming weeks.
I did hit two screaming knock downs with the 4 irons today. I faded on and slightly drew the second. This will be an effective shot as the fall and winter winds start to kick up in sunny FLA.

Intro to the golf course

Spoiler

After a 4 iron off the tee and a 4 iron ly up I was left with...

Spoiler

The resultsof that 8 iron into #11

Spoiler

A couple of 4 iron off the tee on 400 yd par 4 #13

Spoiler

5 iron approach into #13

Spoiler

#14 tee box

Spoiler

9 iron tee ball on #14 par 3

Spoiler

Green side after 9 irons on par 3 #14

Spoiler

After two 4 irons on #18 a 460yd par 4 I had R11 AW from 115. These next three are the shots and finish

Spoiler
[video=youtube;uejost-1Li4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uejost-1Li4[/video]

Spoiler

Spoiler

I'll have to check out the videos later, but thanks for the write up. I think it was a good idea to give up fighting for that draw in favor of playing the shot you hit easiest with them.

You mentioned being longer in the mid/short irons today (sounds like it will be an easy fix, though). Did you see any gapping problems?

Reviewers -

What has been the most challenging thing about switching to the R11's for your game?

What have the R11's done to make the game easier for you than when you played your previous irons?
Thanks for the questions.

Little more sole on these than my previous player style irons, so cutting through rough has been the most challenging part of getting used to the R11 irons. I feel like I need to be a tad more aggressive or go for an extra club when playing from the rough than what I was used to.

I love the spin with these irons. I generate a lot of spin and hit them as far as my previous irons and they hold the greens beautifully on full and knock down shots. Something I've grown quite fond of.

Two things for me, the initial wieght of the clubs and not being able to work the ball I want (still early in the testing, so I expect to get it all figured out) The R11s has really allowed me to swing the club. After swinging these for a month I have found that I don't have to work to hit the ball. The ball is now getting in the way of my swing.

Reviewers -

Loved the write-up and videos, Tadashi, nice work. I love playing first thing and leaving dew prints everywhere. I liked the 4 iron and all iron test you did.

The little bit of roll you were seeing with the 4 iron, is that normal for a 4 iron for you?

I'll have to check out the videos later, but thanks for the write up. I think it was a good idea to give up fighting for that draw in favor of playing the shot you hit easiest with them.

You mentioned being longer in the mid/short irons today (sounds like it will be an easy fix, though). Did you see any gapping problems?
Hawk, I have not had any gapping issues as of yet. If I dont become more consistant with the long irons I can see some potential issues. I am sure today I was just off with my long iron swings.

Reviewers -

My set: TaylorMade R11 4i-AW : Motore F1 65 Graphite Shaft

On October 14, 2011 I'll respond with this: I'm gonna' say that the answer to both questions, in the end, is the same answer...
Changing the tempo of my swing.

I've had to adjust my swing speeds a little to "get in sync" with the club, which has been somewhat difficult. That said, I have also passed that same tempo on to my wedges, driver, 3w, and hybrid which I've seen much improved results (and I felt I was hitting the hybrid pretty damn well before this).

Ask me again in a couple weeks and I might have a completely different answer, but for now...there ya have it.

Thanks my friend...No this is not typical but also used to play mid to low balls with my Srixon irons. I knew the release on them and played for it. The R11s are giving me a much high ball flight and that has to be due to the increase in spin. The side spin on these is much lower than my previous irons. Off center hits stay their line much better
Loved the write-up and videos, Tadashi, nice work. I love playing first thing and leaving dew prints everywhere. I liked the 4 iron and all iron test you did.

The little bit of roll you were seeing with the 4 iron, is that normal for a 4 iron for you?

Hawk, I have not had any gapping issues as of yet. If I dont become more consistant with the long irons I can see some potential issues. I am sure today I was just off with my long iron swings.

No doubt that you'll get them in line soon :)

My set: TaylorMade R11 4i-AW : Motore F1 65 Graphite Shaft

On October 14, 2011 I'll respond with this: I'm gonna' say that the answer to both questions, in the end, is the same answer...
Changing the tempo of my swing.

I've had to adjust my swing speeds a little to "get in sync" with the club, which has been somewhat difficult. That said, I have also passed that same tempo on to my wedges, driver 3w, and hybrid which I've seen much improved results (and I felt I was hitting the hybrid pretty damn well before this).

Ask me again in a couple weeks and I might have a completely different answer, but for now...there ya have it.

Not uncommon for thoughts to evolve over time :) I assume much of that adjustment has to do with the graphite, correct?

Thanks for the questions.

Little more sole on these than my previous player style irons, so cutting through rough has been the most challenging part of getting used to the R11 irons. I feel like I need to be a tad more aggressive or go for an extra club when playing from the rough than what I was used to.

I love the spin with these irons. I generate a lot of spin and hit them as far as my previous irons and they hold the greens beautifully on full and knock down shots. Something I've grown quite fond of.

Thanks, biggsy. I like the sounds of the spin! I still haven't hit these, but I'm even more intrigued after some info I got from the KBS website today.

Thanks my friend...No this is not typical but also used to play mid to low balls with my Srixon irons. I knew the release on them and played for it. The R11s are giving me a much high ball flight and that has to be due to the increase in spin. The side spin on these is much lower than my previous irons. Off center hits stay their line much better
I've noticed the sidespin reduction myself. It keeps those mishits from straying too far from the target.

Was just curious about the long irons as I've noticed more roll on mine, which has been different from the 5-PW, which is stick and spin with full shots. I'm not that familiar with the 3 and 4 as I have just ranged them. I really like your ball position with the 4.

Did you say crosswind, sorry bro, miss read it...

lol I was thinking I must be doing something seriously wrong if the wind isnt suppose to affect the shot. It was one of those winds that was out of the west one minute then out of the north the other. Great writeup and videos Tadashi.

Great videos and write up Tad. Man I'm really starting to kick myself for not hitting one of the fellow Morgan Cuppers R11 irons when I had the chance! Keep all the great updates coming everyone.

Not uncommon for thoughts to evolve over time :) I assume much of that adjustment has to do with the graphite, correct?
That's a correct statement. I had exteme difficulty holding a line (hooks & slices seemed to be everywhere) with my normal swing speed I was using before with a Uniflex shaft. I've always hit stiff shaft prior to the Uniflex. But I'm ok with it. Doesn't hurt when you see improvements all over & at least its slowing down and not having to hurry a swing up, more difficult IMO.

Thanks P4B, the Morgan cuppers had different shafts and must say it is night and day between what I am swinging and what they are swinging.
Great videos and write up Tad. Man I'm really starting to kick myself for not hitting one of the fellow Morgan Cuppers R11 irons when I had the chance! Keep all the great updates coming everyone.

Reviewers -

This is a pretty easy question for me at least......

the most challenging thing for me was the distance loss. its not a ton of distance loss but it was difficult to realize i just can't hit the ball that far anymore. and how i have to play with my irons... before i would take a higher loft club and try to kill the ball to get the distance i needed when in between clubs. now i take a lower lofted club and swing easier. And this has helped with what has made my game easier.... which is my accuracy i can't wait to compare my GIR from before these irons to after. i am giving myself way more chances for birdies with 10' putts cause these are so much more accurate and the dispersion has been so consistent that i feel like i can pin seek on almost any hole. or if i want or need to play it safe on the green i know i can put the ball where i need to. it is such a great feeling.

Great write up Tad. I'm glad your liking the mid-flight with a little fade. Not much roll out is good also. Do you attribute that to the R11's or the ball your using. I figured I'd ask since I seem to get different roll with different balls as well as every one else does. Keep up the great work! This is what TESTING is about!!

This is a pretty easy question for me at least......

the most challenging thing for me was the distance loss. its not a ton of distance loss but it was difficult to realize i just can't hit the ball that far anymore. and how i have to play with my irons... before i would take a higher loft club and try to kill the ball to get the distance i needed when in between clubs. now i take a lower lofted club and swing easier. And this has helped with what has made my game easier.... which is my accuracy i can't wait to compare my GIR from before these irons to after. i am giving myself way more chances for birdies with 10' putts cause these are so much more accurate and the dispersion has been so consistent that i feel like i can pin seek on almost any hole. or if i want or need to play it safe on the green i know i can put the ball where i need to. it is such a great feeling.

Good answer buck. Do you think that once you are totally used to the R11's that you will get the distance back that you had?

Good answer buck. Do you think that once you are totally used to the R11's that you will get the distance back that you had?

i honestly don't know i did gain distance with my 2.0 after time. so i may... i mean as of right now lost about 10 yards a club. but from what i can remember this is pretty close to where i started distance wise when i got my 2.0s. I am pretty sure if i tried to kill the ball i could get the 10 yards back but im not gonna try that to much. i am in a pretty good groove right now and i don't wanna go messing that up. But like i said during my season i tend to gain up to 10 yards by the end of the year so i dunno whats gonna happen this year as i will be playing a lot more than i normally do over the winter.

Tad, your swing is so smooth! i can't believe you get that distance with such an easy effortless looking swing. I hope my lessons get me swinging that smooth by next year. Awesome write up and videos. I def gotta see that swing for a round when i get down for the outing! Makes me want to swing even easier than i already am.

Great write up Tad. I'm glad your liking the mid-flight with a little fade. Not much roll out is good also. Do you attribute that to the R11's or the ball your using. I figured I'd ask since I seem to get different roll with different balls as well as every one else does. Keep up the great work! This is what TESTING is about!!

BF I have to say the R11s in general do not produce the release I am used to getting in solid shots. My previous irons released upon landing. I hit that 5 iron from 187 and got some great check. Noting this I can go at ticked pins, big advantage in scoring.
I played a Penta and a Prov1 today. The pro was shorter off each club but the release was comparable within a few feet.

BF I have to say the R11s in general do not produce the release I am used to getting in solid shots. My previous irons released upon landing. I hit that 5 iron from 187 and got some great check. Noting this I can go at ticked pins, big advantage in scoring.
I played a Penta and a Prov1 today. The pro was shorter off each club but the release was comparable within a few feet.

Thanks for the answer. I'm liking that I'm not getting the ball to stop like I use to. I don't fly the flag, although I wish I would. So I like the 6-8ft roll out i'm getting. But all I changed was balls. Now when I first got the R7's I could get it to stop until the grooves wore out. Then switching to the MB's I got it back with the TM TP Black ball. But I think it's cuz of new grooves again.

Tad, your swing is so smooth! i can't believe you get that distance with such an easy effortless looking swing. I hope my lessons get me swinging that smooth by next year. Awesome write up and videos. I def gotta see that swing for a round when i get down for the outing! Makes me want to swing even easier than i already am.

Thanks buck I appreciate the feedback. I like your action and wish I could swing harder and stay in control. I marvel at hard swings! Keep working on your action and we will take down a few bets at the outing.

Reviewers -

The great thing about these irons for me is that there really hasnt been a very big adjustment. While the shafts have been a little bit of an adjustment and the lighter weight that comes with them they have also been something that has made my game better. I swing smooth and I get more distance. Might have had a little adjustment to the shaft length at first but even that was fairly easy to adjust to.

Back