TaylorMade R11 Irons - Review Thread - Forum Testing Reviews

heading out to play 18 with Hanks should have some video and write ups later tonight.

heading out to play 18 with Hanks should have some video and write ups later tonight.

Nice have a good time out there. Time for some cross reviewing action. And looks like youre going to get some more wind testing in today.

Reviewers -

What has been the most challenging thing about switching to the R11's for your game?

What have the R11's done to make the game easier for you than when you played your previous irons?

I didn't find anything challenging when making the switch. My previous irons had similar lofts, so distances are fairly close. The shafts weight a little bit more, but I honestly don't even notice it. I am hitting the ball higher with the R11's an the feel is night and day compared to my old set. Every shot feels so soft, where as my old set felt much harsher. I'm not used to hitting cotton ball 4 irons, which is something the R11 provides with every shot hit near the sweet spot. I've come to the point where I don't really think a lot when hitting these irons. Not swaying comes into mind from time to time, but mostly its just swing. I enjoy hitting the long irons now, where I used to dread them in my old set. These are a great set of irons for my game and I can see myself swinging them for a long time.

Great updates 2S and Tadashi. Some great information provided and I love the idea of playing 9 holes with the R11's. Great videos Freddie. You have inspired me to do something similar (all iron round) that may go down today.

So an update on the R11 irons with PX 6.0 shafts since its been a week or so since I've updated. Thanks to GolfTec here on THP and some video of my swing, there were some things I knew needed to be changed, and I've spent the last week and a half or so just working on the range trying to get a handle on things. Thursday and Friday I decided it was time to play and I took to the course.

The R11's were better than ever, I don't think in two days I hit a shot I would consider bad and believe me I didn't hit the ball in the center of the club face every time. Thanks to flatening my swing a bit I'm hitting the ball higher and further than before with just the slightest draw, but I would say its closer to a straight ball if anything. In the two rounds I hit 9/18 GIR and 10/18 GIR which are two of the highest GIR totals I've had this year, and due to the soft conditions on the course right now I had a lot of long irons in my hands.

What I'm really liking about these irons right now as well is distance control, on well struck shots I see the same distance every single time. The 8 iron carries 155 every time, not 150, not 160, but 155 every time, I love that. With the softer conditions now I'm also seeing a lot more of the kind of spin these irons can put on the ball. In the summer our greens are hard and fast, and no spin is going to be all the noticeable other than wedges, but now that the greens are softer, I'm actually seeing the spin the long irons put on the ball. I would not yet call our greens soft yet (thats coming though), but I'm seeing 7 iron through GW either hit, hop and stop, or back up even a little.

Thats all I have for now, but some more video to come in the near future, and I have to say the testers in this thread have done a great job. I've really enjoyed reading all your thoughts as this has gone on.

Hey guys today was my first time on course with the new irons and I am not even going to say anything about the irons, it wouldnt be fair to judge them with todays conditions, 40-50mph winds! I left after 3 holes, I cant remember the last time I actually left the course because of the weather besides rain. Hopefully tomorrow will be better and I can actually play

CB good to hear your advice from Golftec helped with you swing. Long, straight and consistent yardage are the recipe for success. Hope your still striking it well in Jan. when you get down here.
You said your distances are dead on, is it safe to assume that the ball flight is consistent?

Hey guys today was my first time on course with the new irons and I am not even going to say anything about the irons, it wouldnt be fair to judge them with todays conditions, 40-50mph winds! I left after 3 holes, I cant remember the last time I actually left the course because of the weather besides rain. Hopefully tomorrow will be better and I can actually play

Dude what up with the fierce winds. Is that normal?

CB good to hear your advice from Golftec helped with you swing. Long, straight and consistent yardage are the recipe for success. Hope your still striking it well in Jan. when you get down here.
You said your distances are dead on, is it safe to assume that the ball flight is consistent?

Thanks buddy, am I going to be down there in Jan? I might have to stay at your house. I'm seeing a very consistent ball flight, I'm not seeing the high/lower shots that some of the testers are seeing. I'm wondering if that has anything to do with shaft/clubhead combo? No idea really, I just know that ball flight is the same basically every time.

Thanks buddy, am I going to be down there in Jan? I might have to stay at your house. I'm seeing a very consistent ball flight, I'm not seeing the high/lower shots that some of the testers are seeing. I'm wondering if that has anything to do with shaft/clubhead combo? No idea really, I just know that ball flight is the same basically every time.

I love when I get a consistent ball flight from a set of irons. I've found my current irons to have a very predictable shot shape and flight. Makes it easy to visualize when preparing for a shot.

Dude what up with the fierce winds. Is that normal?

that is def not normal for around here, I dont know whats going on but I am getting tired of it to be honest.

Taylormade R11 Iron Testing
Date- 10/15/11
Irons Used- Taylormade R11 Irons 4-AW Stiff Flex KBS Steel Shafts
Previous Irons-Taylormade Burner 2.0 4-AW Stiff Flex Steel Shafts
Ball Used-Bridgestone B330S
Testing Conditions- TORNADO WINDS!!! 64* Sunny
Location- Hickory Valley Presidential Course- 67.7/118 5613 Yards

OK well i guess i got out to play golf today. seemed like i needed to tie myself down to the golf cart to make sure i didn't blow away at some points. the wind would blow in my face one second and the next it would be blowing the exact opposite direction. Same with the cross winds. really was strange. all in all i shot pretty well for the conditions. i shot a 40/42 for a 82 So some positives from todays gail force wind round. i got a couple chances to hit 60-65 yard shots. i think my 1/2 swing with my AW is gonna work with this distance. i think i had 3 shots at like 60 yards 2 were pretty close to the pin (within 10') and 1 was left short like barely on the green... i was thinking the wind might affect the shot for some reason even though i doubt it would affect it that much but anyway pretty good results with this. glad i worked on it quick on the range before my round. As for the rest of my round i ended up hitting 6 GIR which wasn't great but i scrambled a lot today used my AW a lot for my chipping and anything within 110 yards. i hit 2 of 4 GIR on the par 3s. the 2 i missed one is the second shot in my video it was right at the pin and the wind picked up and it flew the green by a few yards sucked cause i thought it might be very close. the other shot the exact opposite happened i hit a nice shot and the wind stopped my ball and i landed 5 yards short of the green. it was just one of those days. im used to not playing as well when its this windy cause i had high ball trajectory with my last irons so this isn't something that new. i did try to keep the ball in the back of my stance to keep it lower. i don't really use a "knock down" shot often never really mastered keeping my hands in front of my club head for the entire swing but for my lower irons keeping it back in the stance did help keep my ball flight a little lower. with my 8-AW even with it back its still gonna get high enough that the wind is gonna affect it. after the first few holes i decided not to play the wind that much cause it would be calm then blow really hard then blow another way. and i was making the shots i wanted to. example- hole 2 i aimed left front of the green and hit the shot the wind was blowing from behind me and going left to right. i hit the shot the wind died and i left myself with a long putt from the fringe right where i was aiming. So that was still nice to see that the irons were going where i wanted. the weather just wasn't helping me. And as you can see the wind wasn't bad when i hit during the first video and i made a nice shot with my AW to about 12' . didn't hit many long irons today we decided to play up since the wind was so bad. but my irons were pretty good today considering. Heres a quick video of 2 of the par 3s.

<font size="3"><font color="#262626"><span style="font-family: 'Times New Roman'; ">

that is def not normal for around here, I dont know whats going on but I am getting tired of it to be honest.

it was less windy in the mountains when i was in the poconos last weekend! today was BRUTAL for me too!

it was less windy in the mountains when i was in the poconos last weekend! today was BRUTAL for me too!

I would of stayed and played if it was above 40* but being in the 40's with that wind it was just stupid, granted I did have shorts on which was my fault, it wasnt to windy at my house in the middle of town but it was a different story out on the course.

Nice Video Buckjob , it was blowing hard around the DC. area. Hope the weather calms need to get out for a few rounds soon.

Nice video Buck...looked like you guys were playing amidst a hurricane by the looks of the leaves and limbs laying on the green...crazy.

Nice update buck. Very brave of you guys to play in those winds today. I wanted nothing to do with it. Monday I'm all over it though.

Buck nice thoughts and write up. Half swings are always good to have in the bag. Since you are getting 60 yards out of a half AW is it safe to say a full AW is your 120 club? I see we are getting similar distances.

We spoke about chipping a few pages back and I thought I'd add a couple of vids on chipping with the R11 AW and 7 iron. The purpose was for the technique not the end results.
Chipping with the the R11s is fairly straight forward. The club seems to glide on top of the turf due to the rounded sole edge. The ball comes off hot but quickly bites quickly. if you are lloking to impart major spin then these are the clubs you want to chip with. These are for the bump and run shots around the greens. It will be nice to add these shots to the bag. I've chipped with the old PW, 9 and 8 iron but always got a lot of check. it is nice to see some run out of these clubs.

We spoke about chipping a few pages back and I thought I'd add a couple of vids on chipping with the R11 AW and 7 iron. The purpose was for the technique not the end results.
Chipping with the the R11s is fairly straight forward. The club seems to glide on top of the turf due to the rounded sole edge. The ball comes off hot but quickly bites quickly. if you are lloking to impart major spin then these are the clubs you want to chip with. These are for the bump and run shots around the greens. It will be nice to add these shots to the bag. I've chipped with the old PW, 9 and 8 iron but always got a lot of check. it is nice to see some run out of these clubs.

Damn Freddie that is a nice chipping motion. Mine are all over the place. Nice vids

That was fun to watch Tadashi, I like your chipping motion.

Thanks guys, I appreciate it!

Very nice Tadashi. Your stuff is smooth my friend.

Thank you for those videos Tadashi. I like that trick with the 7iron, gonna practice it next time I am at the range.

Thank you for those videos Tadashi. I like that trick with the 7iron, gonna practice it next time I am at the range.

I like that trick as well and I will be practicing it tomorrow.

Back