TaylorMade R11 Irons - Review Thread - Forum Testing Reviews

Glad to see you back our there TC! Even happier to see how much you love these irons

I think I am gonna get some of these. I have talked with a few of the testers as well as other people gaming them. One-T needs them. Having the SCOR wedges means I will only need to buy 5 irons...haha

I am hoping to get out either tomorrow or Wednesday to hit these bad boys. I am itching to get in a groove with my new irons. When I first got my Mizunos it took me about a month-month 1/2 to really adapt to them so hopefully it comes a little quicker with the R11's.

glad you got to the range TC and congrats again! If i don't get out every couple days i get antsy! Excited about getting another 2 rounds this weekend in with these with the fall get together. prob gonna head up early in case anyone else wants to hit them.

I'm not one of the testers, but thought I'd chime in with my thoughts on these irons after playing 18 holes today. My score was nothing special, mainly because of some bad drives, but that's another story. However, I did hit 9/18 greens in regulation, which is pretty good for me. My average this year has been about 35%, which is 6-7 GIR. My better ball-striking in terms of approach shots was mainly due to the irons, as only 1 of the GIR was with a wedge and 1 was with a hybrid.

It wasn't the easiest day to hit irons as the winds were only 10-15 mph, but they were swirling and it was hard at times to judge where the wind was coming from. There were a number of holes where crosswinds were coming into play, so it was a day to take 1 more club and swing easily instead of trying to force the ball through the wind. These clubs definitely reacted well to that, and I noticed that the ballflight from these irons isn't bothered much by crosswinds.

Another thing that I've noticed after playing these irons is that the ballflight is a bit straighter than my R9 irons. Of course, who wouldn't want that? The reason I bring it up is that with my R9 irons, I had a stock draw on my irons. On these irons, I really don't have that, and it's been a little bit of an adjustment period. I still find it harder to get to ball to fade than to draw, which I think is more my swing than these irons. On the other hand, it has been nice to just aim for a certain spot, and I know that if I make a good swing (especially with 9I-AW), the ball is going to not move much off of that line.

One other thing: even though these irons want to go straight, you can move the ball if you want to do that. Probably my best approach shot came on a long par-5 that was playing back into the wind. After a wayward drive and a punched 7-iron, I had 150 yards to the middle of the green. The shot was about a 160 yard shot given that the flag was tucked on the left side of the green behind a bunker and the wind was into me. I decided to play an 8-iron, my 160 yard club with these irons, and start the ball at the middle of the green and draw it to the flag. I was able to pull that shot off exactly how I wanted to, and the ball ended up within 1 feet of its pitchmark and 10 feet from the hole. I missed the birdie putt, so we won't talk about that, but the iron shot was great! I will say that out of all of the equipment that TaylorMade and THP was so generous in providing me for the Morgan Cup, I think that the R11 irons have the most staying power in my bag.

Thanks for your input Dolph. It's amazing that these are getting so much praise by all the testers including the MCers!

Amphibians can Tapatalk.

Man I want some of these irons!

I hit one, uno, single club this weekend at the GA outing, a 4 iron, and I'd buy them from that one swing.
I had hit my 4H on a par 3 and asked to swing a 4i. It was one of the sweetest feelings I've had hitting a flushed shot and it carried at least 15 yards further.
I have no other purpose in this thread; just wanted to share my one swing....it was NICE.

TaylorMade R11 Testing/Review
Date: October 16, 2011
Course: Augusta Pines GC, The Woodlands, Texas
Climate: Morning 70* & still / Afternoon 85* and light breeze
Testing Clubs: TaylorMade R11 Irons | 4i - AW | Motore Graphite R
Previous Clubs: Nike Ignite 3
Ball: Bridgestone e6

Quick review:
Worst scroing effort I've had in months as I averaged 2.7 putts per green, but that's for a different thread. Iron play was like never before. Today I stuck more greens than I ever have. I had only a couple shots total which were either fat or thin, but I've worked so hard with these clubs to get into a groove with them.

A couple shots that really stood out in my game:

I hit 3 of 4 par 3s on the day. The only one I didn't stick, I watched my buddy hit 7i and come up about 10 yards short of the green. I know both our games and thought he hit his shot well. I go back to the cart and pull 6i. I flew the extremely shallow green, but ball was well stuck and stayed on line from tee to behind the green.

Par 5|5th: Hit good drive off the tee, but rolled just off the fairway into the rough. Ball had a great lie from there, sitting high in the rough. My buddy had me by 3 strokes and was sitting off in the woods and could only punch out. I knew I must make a play in order to gain ground. I hit 4i from the rough at 215 and the ball lands and sticks on the green. (Note: I'm hitting a Bridgestone e6; which is not known for it's stopping power). I leave the hole down 1.

Par 4|12th: Hit a 5i off the tee as this hole dog legs 90* right. Should have hit 4i to carry the huge fairway traps as a little wind picked up as I hit. I have 150 to the center of the green out of the sand. Smooth swing and boo-yah, ball lands softly pin high, releases to about 20' above the pin.

Par 5|13th: Hit a driver down the right side of the fairway and ends up rolling into the fairway bunker. Hole curves back to the left and has water covering the whole left side of the green. I hit 9i out of the sand. Long towering shot which landed about 20 yards short of the end of the fairway. I couldn't have gone down there and dropped my ball in a better position to get on the green from the trap.

Par 5|18th: Hit a good drive, middle of the fairway. 175 to the center of an island green. I hit 5i and try to play the ball a little left as the wind has picked up and moving hard left to right. I hang it out to the right just enough I end up in the drink. Take my drop and play 6i into the green, ball hits and stops almost immediately about 12'.

The thing I noticed the most about my round is that the greens were soaked with dew as we began our round. We've had really hard greens here lately and I was excited to see some, well any, moisture on the greens. Again, I play the Bridgestone e6 which I love, but is known mostly for being a straight ball and not so much for a stopping ball. I saw, on more than one occassion my ball stop within 12" from the landing. I had very, very little rollout today which is completely new for me.

The R11 seems to have what I personally consider a higher overall ball flight which I've began to fall in love with as it certainly becomes more predictible with regards to where a shot will end up. I personally (in my course environment) have been more than satisfied by play from the rough. The irons smooth through the longer grass almost effortlessly. And there's not much "effortlessly" to my game in general.

Although I lost my match by 1 today, my golfing buddy (who has just seen the clubs for the first time today) told me that he's never seen me hit irons that well. His observation of the round was "That's the best iron play I've ever seen by you. I can't believe those things play that well".

My end score was horrible..won't post that here as I'm sure there's a thread for that. I absolutely played better with these irons on this day than any day I've played in my life. it just sucked that I couldn't do anything with it once I got it there.

I worked my tail off today at work, but then I slipped out at a course I have played only once a long time ago in a city far far away, and the R11's were freaking spectacular. I'm exhausted right now and need to just relax but tomorrow I will post more in depth thoughts. They are simply great irons, that is a fact.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh it's like Christmas at my house right now! I just bought the R11's later this afternoon! And I can't wait too go too the range tomorrow & give them a go!

I think i might sleep with one tonight!:banana:

Although I am not a tester, I have been lurking in this thread for quite a while, since I was scheduled to visit TM Performance Lab in Palm Springs for a fitting and I just received my new set of irons last Friday (5 day turn around! Good Job TM!!). My specs are standard graphite length, Matrix Program 95 Stiff, 1 degree upright. Due to other priorities, I have only had one limited range session with a 7i, PW and AW and here are my initial impressions:

1. Stating the obvious, but these irons are long. I was getting a good club and a half longer with these, coming from Callaway X-22 Tours. Interesting thing is 7i are the same length but R11 has a 2 degree stronger loft (32 vs 34) and I was getting almost my 5i X22 Tour(175yds) distance from a 7i(170yds).

2. It could be the head or the combination of head and shaft, but the ball launches high. It's really a beautiful trajectory that I used to admire from players much better than myself. High, penetrating (I now understand what this means), and powerful. There was a bit of head wind but did not seem to affect the ball flight in any noticeable way. No ballooning for sure. Just to compare, I hit my old 7i, and even with the stronger loft, R11 flew the ball much higher. Another thing I noticed was that max height of the trajectory on full shots seemed very similar for the 7i, PW and AW. I will have to hit the rest of the clubs to confirm.

3. Ball loves to go straight. Even when I caught one towards the toe or heel, the ball flew towards the target, with about 5 yards dispersion either side of the target line. And not much distance loss either. I was peppering the flag 168 yards out with my 7i. Something I had NEVER done before.

4. Ball drops and stops. Since I was on the range, I really could not see if I could spin the ball in any way(I never have been able to), but I could still see the ball drop and stop in the small green areas around the flags. With the height of the trajectory, it's understandable and I would love to see it on the course into a real green. I can see how this will help with consistency, since I know I can find the ball close to where it lands.

5. Very forgiving. I hit some thin and some fat, but they all flew towards the target, I just had some distance loss (15 yards maybe) and trajectory difference. But I can live with that. With misses that I know would have resulted in a slice for me before were slight fades with minimal distance loss, and it would be playable on the course. My only bad misses were straight pulls from coming over the top - user error, the ball flew exactly the same direction as the club head path in the divot. No slice or hook.

6. Matrix Program 95 - This shaft is AMAZING. I wanted a graphite shaft due to some wrist pain that I developed recently. Stock Motore seemed to be a nice shaft, definitely a good match. But for me, Matrix Program is well worth the up-charge ($35 per club). It is stable, smooth, powerful and explosive all at the same time and I have tried but there is no way I will be able to over-power this shaft. I don't know how else to explain it but you can feel the energy exploding at impact into the ball. In fact, the feel almost mirrors my driver shaft, Matrix HD 6m3. And the wrist pain, I hit some awful thin shots at first just getting used to the club, and I am happy to report I proceeded to hit more than 150 range balls with no pain at all. With my previous PX I know I would have stopped after pounding 50 balls.

So far I am loving my new R11s. I hope to have another range time tomorrow so I will update when I get to try the whole set.

I don't know how many of you are coming from X22 Tour, but here is some comparison pics of their size difference. R11 is quite a bit larger and has more offset, but when I address the ball, I can't really tell the size difference.

Spoiler

Picture017.jpg

Picture020.jpg

was wondering is there a up charge to put Nippon 950 shafts in these cheers as looks like all the good reviews on here has got me wanting a set now,didn't like the red bolt but starting to win me over,p.s thanks for that photo of the x22tours and R11 as had a set of x22s and the head on the R11 looks about the same size as the mx200s which ive just put back in till i get a new set of irons

CB I look forward to your non tired entry into this, my favorite thread. Your little blurb about freaking fantastic sparked my R11 sensors last night.
2shoes its nice to be able to depend on one part of you game. It's great to have consistent sitting in your bag even when your actual game lets you down. Sounds like you hit some quality shots out there, thanks for sharing.

Not sure if there is or not an upcharge, i'd give a shout out to TM is the others testers are unable to answer this for you. The R11 are bigger than my previous irons and I have to say it was not a big deal after my first range session.
was wondering is there a up charge to put Nippon 950 shafts in these cheers as looks like all the good reviews on here has got me wanting a set now,didn't like the red bolt but starting to win me over,p.s thanks for that photo of the x22tours and R11 as had a set of x22s and the head on the R11 looks about the same size as the mx200s which ive just put back in till i get a new set of irons

Ryan gald you could ad to thread. It's always nice to validated by another R11 convert. I like you line about consitent ball height with the 3 irons. As I think back to my times playing these clubs you are right on the button. Just wait til you take these out long term, it gets better
Although I am not a tester, I have been lurking in this thread for quite a while, since I was scheduled to visit TM Performance Lab in Palm Springs for a fitting and I just received my new set of irons last Friday (5 day turn around! Good Job TM!!). My specs are standard graphite length, Matrix Program 95 Stiff, 1 degree upright. Due to other priorities, I have only had one limited range session with a 7i, PW and AW and here are my initial impressions:

1. Stating the obvious, but these irons are long. I was getting a good club and a half longer with these, coming from Callaway X-22 Tours. Interesting thing is 7i are the same length but R11 has a 2 degree stronger loft (32 vs 34) and I was getting almost my 5i X22 Tour(175yds) distance from a 7i(170yds).

2. It could be the head or the combination of head and shaft, but the ball launches high. It's really a beautiful trajectory that I used to admire from players much better than myself. High, penetrating (I now understand what this means), and powerful. There was a bit of head wind but did not seem to affect the ball flight in any noticeable way. No ballooning for sure. Just to compare, I hit my old 7i, and even with the stronger loft, R11 flew the ball much higher. Another thing I noticed was that max height of the trajectory on full shots seemed very similar for the 7i, PW and AW. I will have to hit the rest of the clubs to confirm.

3. Ball loves to go straight. Even when I caught one towards the toe or heel, the ball flew towards the target, with about 5 yards dispersion either side of the target line. And not much distance loss either. I was peppering the flag 168 yards out with my 7i. Something I had NEVER done before.

4. Ball drops and stops. Since I was on the range, I really could not see if I could spin the ball in any way(I never have been able to), but I could still see the ball drop and stop in the small green areas around the flags. With the height of the trajectory, it's understandable and I would love to see it on the course into a real green. I can see how this will help with consistency, since I know I can find the ball close to where it lands.

5. Very forgiving. I hit some thin and some fat, but they all flew towards the target, I just had some distance loss (15 yards maybe) and trajectory difference. But I can live with that. With misses that I know would have resulted in a slice for me before were slight fades with minimal distance loss, and it would be playable on the course. My only bad misses were straight pulls from coming over the top - user error, the ball flew exactly the same direction as the club head path in the divot. No slice or hook.

6. Matrix Program 95 - This shaft is AMAZING. I wanted a graphite shaft due to some wrist pain that I developed recently. Stock Motore seemed to be a nice shaft, definitely a good match. But for me, Matrix Program is well worth the up-charge ($35 per club). It is stable, smooth, powerful and explosive all at the same time and I have tried but there is no way I will be able to over-power this shaft. I don't know how else to explain it but you can feel the energy exploding at impact into the ball. In fact, the feel almost mirrors my driver shaft, Matrix HD 6m3. And the wrist pain, I hit some awful thin shots at first just getting used to the club, and I am happy to report I proceeded to hit more than 150 range balls with no pain at all. With my previous PX I know I would have stopped after pounding 50 balls.

So far I am loving my new R11s. I hope to have another range time tomorrow so I will update when I get to try the whole set.

I don't know how many of you are coming from X22 Tour, but here is some comparison pics of their size difference. R11 is quite a bit larger and has more offset, but when I address the ball, I can't really tell the size difference.

Spoiler

Picture017.jpg

Picture020.jpg

Hope you got some sleep, a tired swing won't do these clubs justice. Christmas anytime of the year is always nice. Enjoy one of the best feeling in golf, consistentency in ball striking.
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh it's like Christmas at my house right now! I just bought the R11's later this afternoon! And I can't wait too go too the range tomorrow & give them a go!

Per TGW.com, they have a $10/club upcharge listed on the Nippon 950 shafts in the R11 irons. Your best bet would be to contact a golf shop around you that could order the irons as a custom order for you, they will be able to tell you if that is accurate.

Congrats man! Please let us know about your range session with them. I love hearing about someone's first time experience with their new irons!

@RyanLovesGolf, excellent write up! Dude, I know exactly what you mean about those Program graphite shafts! Very, very good shafts. I'd love to see some pics of your irons with those shafts in them if you don't mind. Congrats on your purchase as well!

Nice write up Ryan glad you like the clubs

That's a really solid performance out of the R11's. Don't worry about the score man. More GIR's and can equal more putts many times. If you keep hitting the irons that well you'll see those scores drop.

TaylorMade R11 Testing/Review
Date: October 16, 2011
Course: Augusta Pines GC, The Woodlands, Texas
Climate: Morning 70* & still / Afternoon 85* and light breeze
Testing Clubs: TaylorMade R11 Irons | 4i - AW | Motore Graphite R
Previous Clubs: Nike Ignite 3
Ball: Bridgestone e6

Quick review:
Worst scroing effort I've had in months as I averaged 2.7 putts per green, but that's for a different thread. Iron play was like never before. Today I stuck more greens than I ever have. I had only a couple shots total which were either fat or thin, but I've worked so hard with these clubs to get into a groove with them.

A couple shots that really stood out in my game:

I hit 3 of 4 par 3s on the day. The only one I didn't stick, I watched my buddy hit 7i and come up about 10 yards short of the green. I know both our games and thought he hit his shot well. I go back to the cart and pull 6i. I flew the extremely shallow green, but ball was well stuck and stayed on line from tee to behind the green.

Par 5|5th: Hit good drive off the tee, but rolled just off the fairway into the rough. Ball had a great lie from there, sitting high in the rough. My buddy had me by 3 strokes and was sitting off in the woods and could only punch out. I knew I must make a play in order to gain ground. I hit 4i from the rough at 215 and the ball lands and sticks on the green. (Note: I'm hitting a Bridgestone e6; which is not known for it's stopping power). I leave the hole down 1.

Par 4|12th: Hit a 5i off the tee as this hole dog legs 90* right. Should have hit 4i to carry the huge fairway traps as a little wind picked up as I hit. I have 150 to the center of the green out of the sand. Smooth swing and boo-yah, ball lands softly pin high, releases to about 20' above the pin.

Par 5|13th: Hit a driver down the right side of the fairway and ends up rolling into the fairway bunker. Hole curves back to the left and has water covering the whole left side of the green. I hit 9i out of the sand. Long towering shot which landed about 20 yards short of the end of the fairway. I couldn't have gone down there and dropped my ball in a better position to get on the green from the trap.

Par 5|18th: Hit a good drive, middle of the fairway. 175 to the center of an island green. I hit 5i and try to play the ball a little left as the wind has picked up and moving hard left to right. I hang it out to the right just enough I end up in the drink. Take my drop and play 6i into the green, ball hits and stops almost immediately about 12'.

The thing I noticed the most about my round is that the greens were soaked with dew as we began our round. We've had really hard greens here lately and I was excited to see some, well any, moisture on the greens. Again, I play the Bridgestone e6 which I love, but is known mostly for being a straight ball and not so much for a stopping ball. I saw, on more than one occassion my ball stop within 12" from the landing. I had very, very little rollout today which is completely new for me.

The R11 seems to have what I personally consider a higher overall ball flight which I've began to fall in love with as it certainly becomes more predictible with regards to where a shot will end up. I personally (in my course environment) have been more than satisfied by play from the rough. The irons smooth through the longer grass almost effortlessly. And there's not much "effortlessly" to my game in general.

Although I lost my match by 1 today, my golfing buddy (who has just seen the clubs for the first time today) told me that he's never seen me hit irons that well. His observation of the round was "That's the best iron play I've ever seen by you. I can't believe those things play that well".

My end score was horrible..won't post that here as I'm sure there's a thread for that. I absolutely played better with these irons on this day than any day I've played in my life. it just sucked that I couldn't do anything with it once I got it there.

That's a really solid performance out of the R11's. Don't worry about the score man. More GIR's and can equal more putts many times. If you keep hitting the irons that well you'll see those scores drop.
Thanks Hawk, appreciate it. I "stupidly" took a new putter to the course and thought it would be in some way magical. I had been putting lights out with the Ping Scottsdale I recently purchased and thought that would just roll over to the Scotty I was given....WRONG. I didn't even care about my score at all. I left the course thinking it was the best day of golf I'd had in years.

When something comes together like these irons are for me, I can honestly say that I could care less about my overall score when I begin to see the hard work come together. I'll put my Ping back in the bag and play again next weekend. My golfing buddy was stupid for picking a hamburger joint for his win, cause I'm thinkin' filet next weekend.

My game has improved leaps and bounds since my first day as a guest here. I have more dedication to my golf game now more than any other time in my life. I WILL create my own thread to scream out loud when I am fortunate enough to get my HC in single digits. I'm absolutely focused to do so. I know we say this all the time, but thanks THP and TaylorMade for this unbelieveable opportunity that I've been handed. (The previous message was in no way intended to overshadow Chunkylover's MC2.0 Captain acceptance video, back to regularly scheduled programming)

Well since I am on a long ferry ride I thought I would update this thread with my thoughts from yesterday. Excuse any typos but I am on my phone.

I play a course called Crown Isle golf course which is a really difficult track in a town about 3 hours from me and is rumoured to be a favorite of Tiggers but that's a story for another day.

To start I was having an average day at best driving the golf ball and this was leaving me with a lot of mid and long irons into greens and when I did hit it well I always seemed to be in the rough. Well I still hit 12 gir and that's all because of the R11's.

Distance: its starting to get colder here and the air is getting really heavy so I've found that I'm aboot a half club shorter already than in the summer but they are still nice and long. Yesterday and in my previous rounds since the temps dropped the 8 iron has now become my 150 carry club from 155 but the cosistentcy is what sets these apart from other irons imo.

Dispersion: this is what I like most aboot these irons. I'm not sure if I should chaulk that up to the clubhead, the shaft, or most likely a combination of the two but I can just pick a target and fire away with very little movement either way. If i dropped 5 balls at the 150 marker I would bet that all 5 would be within a 5-10 yard circle of each other and I've never been able to do that before with any irons.

These irons really have been great to me and are truly safe in my bag. I shot a 82 yesterday and hit only 3 fairways! To me that says everything.

Wow @ that last stat, Coolbreeze. That's no joke dude!

Coolbreeze nice thoughts, would like to hear the TW story one day.
Since its getting cooler does the ball feel any different coming off the face? Is the overall height of your golf shot the same?
12 GIR is great bro, now we gotta work on those up and downs

How many of the testers have the 3 iron? I have been pondering these irons and wonder if I should go 3-PW or 4-AW. I have a 52* wedge that could be bent to make up for the AW. I have been really loving my 3 iron in the R9 TP set I have. Life's choices are so hard.

I do not carry a 3 iron but will hopefully be demoing a 3 with a graphite shaft on Thursday.
I'd hit the AW before I made any adjustments to your current wedge. My set is 4-AW

Back