TaylorMade R11 Irons Reviews

Kind of my thinking too. Like the evolution of the 2.0's and the R9's into one badass package. Dustin Johnson even likes them.

Yeah he does, and I got to see him hit them. I will say this too, you can flight the ball lower with these irons, I witnessed more knock down shots than one can imagine.

I know these have different tech than the 2.0's and that they are different irons but I love that they are stronger lofted.

Yeah he does, and I got to see him hit them. I will say this too, you can flight the ball lower with these irons, I witnessed more knock down shots than one can imagine.

I know these have different tech than the 2.0's and that they are different irons but I love that they are stronger lofted.

You've been privileged to see DJ work his knock down shot. Proves just how versatile these sticks are and how workable they can be.

You've been privileged to see DJ work his knock down shot. Proves just how versatile these sticks are and how workable they can be.

I have been. I watched him hit them during a monsoon then during a sugar deficiency. They are versatile. I also watched Captain biggsy hit them on Sunday. He was destroying the mid irons off the tee.

I played this weekend and hit mostly full shots that went high and long, felt nice. I did get tempted and hit some pretty little knockdowns. These are some all around great performing irons. I really can't believe that they aren't in yours and OEM's signatures already. Stronger lofted clubs are awesome!

I have been. I watched him hit them during a monsoon then during a sugar deficiency. They are versatile. I also watched Captain biggsy hit them on Sunday. He was destroying the mid irons off the tee.

I played this weekend and hit mostly full shots that went high and long, felt nice. I did get tempted and hit some pretty little knockdowns. These are some all around great performing irons. I really can't believe that they aren't in yours and OEM's signatures already. Stronger lofted clubs are awesome!

YES! DJ! I knew you'd come in here and hit a knock down for us. Man you dont know how much I want to OEM me some R11's, well actually you do haha. Its taken a lot to not do it. Im exhausted from the battle Ive faced. But so far I have not ordered them. But lets talk R11's. Ive read all about the positives and there a lots of them. But what negatives have you found in the R11's so far? If any.

Don't tempt me DJ. The temptation is tough man. How is the forgiveness, for real bro. None of this phony stuff, I want you to spit the truth. What's it like if you catch one out on the toe?

YES! DJ! I knew you'd come in here and hit a knock down for us. Man you dont know how much I want to OEM me some R11's, well actually you do haha. Its taken a lot to not do it. Im exhausted from the battle Ive faced. But so far I have not ordered them. But lets talk R11's. Ive read all about the positives and there a lots of them. But what negatives have you found in the R11's so far? If any.

Gawd, we're on the same wave length bro! We lust, then we ask. Team Awesome FTW!

Gawd, we're on the same wave length bro! We lust, then we ask. Team Awesome FTW!

I think Team Awesome might have overwhelmed DJ's XOOM. Just like puttin4anothervacation and Young Thain at PGA National.

I think Team Awesome might have overwhelmed DJ's XOOM. Just like puttin4anothervacation and Young Thain at PGA National.

You and I both know that DJ's woman is on the XOOM broski!

Back to the R11's. Kmac, when are we going to make it an official white out bro?

Don't tempt me DJ. The temptation is tough man. How is the forgiveness, for real bro. None of this phony stuff, I want you to spit the truth. What's it like if you catch one out on the toe?

Honestly, this club is uber forgiving. Off the toe isn't my typical miss with an iron and only one shot from this weekend sticks out. Teeing off on a short dogleg right par 4 I pulled the 6i. I kind of toe duffed it. It held out to the the right and only went about 150 yards. The shot still remained playable and it didn't make my fingers tingle. I did hanks one and i definitely felt that, but the majority of my shots this weekend were struck well. I should have some more info to that question this weekend. There's no way I play decent two weekends in a row.

Thanks for the feedback DJ. Yeah, hanks'ing isn't very forgiving. THese sound just like what I'm into. TM claims these have a "tour" like sole. Care to expand on that at all?

The only negative I have regarding the club up until this point is that dirt gets caught in that crease in the sole. I also seem to pull these irons a lot more than my old Tour Burners which seems odd to me due to less offset, but that very well could be the indian (and most likely is). The clubs are still pretty new to me though, so more info will be coming if it ever stops raining. If you're looking for an iron that is long, forgiving, and pretty damn sexy then these should be on your list.

Another negative: I let a friend swing one this weekend on a 178 par 3. He stuck my 6i to 3' which was about 25' closer than I did. DJ didn't like that.

Is your friend now pondering the R11's? DJ is so jealous.

Thanks for the feedback brother. Dude, I clean my clubs between every shot, dirt in creases doesn't affect me.

Thanks for the feedback DJ. Yeah, hanks'ing isn't very forgiving. THese sound just like what I'm into. TM claims these have a "tour" like sole. Care to expand on that at all?

"The R11 irons Multi-Functional Sole is beveled at the back to make it perform like a much thinner sole, which increases playability from a variety of lies. Yet it also features a low and deeper center of gravity that makes it easy to launch the ball on a powerful and penetrating flight."

When compared to the sole of my TB's, its noticeably thinner. I have noticed that I am taking a deeper divot on most shots. I don't know if this has anything to do with the soles, but there is dirt to be wiped off of the face after most hits. I'm not hitting the shots fat at all, but it seems like the club digs a little easier than the TB's. I also noticed that in FL. I was repairing divots a lot, which I seemed to sweep a little more with the TB's. I would disagree with "penetrating flight"...these babies launch the ball high.

Is your friend now pondering the R11's? DJ is so jealous.

Thanks for the feedback brother. Dude, I clean my clubs between every shot, dirt in creases doesn't affect me.

haha. He has the MC's but definitely loved these. He may have made some remarks that he wants them. "Them" being mine, but unlike woods/wedges/pooters I stick with irons. These things are staying put.

Great updates Dirt. Really enjoy reading about these

"The R11 irons Multi-Functional Sole is beveled at the back to make it perform like a much thinner sole, which increases playability from a variety of lies. Yet it also features a low and deeper center of gravity that makes it easy to launch the ball on a powerful and penetrating flight."

When compared to the sole of my TB's, its noticeably thinner. I have noticed that I am taking a deeper divot on most shots. I don't know if this has anything to do with the soles, but there is dirt to be wiped off of the face after most hits. I'm not hitting the shots fat at all, but it seems like the club digs a little easier than the TB's. I also noticed that in FL. I was repairing divots a lot, which I seemed to sweep a little more with the TB's. I would disagree with "penetrating flight"...these babies launch the ball high.

That could be a shaft thing though? What shafts did you order?

haha. He has the MC's but definitely loved these. He may have made some remarks that he wants them. "Them" being mine, but unlike woods/wedges/pooters I stick with irons. These things are staying put.

I think you should. You hit them well.

That could be a shaft thing though? What shafts did you order?

I think you should. You hit them well.

Yeah most likely. KBS Tour. I don't mind the high ball flight though since I have knockdowns in my arsenal, lol.

Great updates Dirt. Really enjoy reading about these

Glad you enjoyed them Chunky. Fire away if there's anything you want me to try and answer.

Yeah most likely. KBS Tour. I don't mind the high ball flight though since I have knockdowns in my arsenal, lol.

YOu should never hit them bro. That's where those Hanks' happen. Just rip it like DJ would and forget that other stuff.

YOu should never hit them bro. That's where those Hanks' happen. Just rip it like DJ would and forget that other stuff.

Yeah I agree. I'm working on it too. Is a 3/4 swing considered a knockdown?

Glad you enjoyed them Chunky. Fire away if there's anything you want me to try and answer.

I'm going to admit that this is a big time skim job dude. But what irons have you gamed prior to these? Not the full list of course. Just the past few gamer sets that you've had

I'm going to admit that this is a big time skim job dude. But what irons have you gamed prior to these? Not the full list of course. Just the past few gamer sets that you've had

Gamed the TaylorMade Tour Burners for the past 3 years with a one month stint last summer of R9 TP's.

OK, so I am finally out of the woods and have been able to have a couple of range sessions and two more rounds under my belt with the R11 irons. So my past two iron sets have been Game improvement irons but much larger than these irons from top line to sole width and I have to admit that while I don't find thick top lines or seeing the cavity at the back off putting, the sleek just good looking package of the R11's is much better to look at. If you didn't know any better you would think that you were playing a GE iron and they play like them too, but with all the forgiveness that those of us amateur golfers love.

To start, these irons are long in fact, paired with the proper shaft fit to my game, they are longer for me than my previous two sets were, and they were supposed to be "distance" irons. I'm seeing a great high ball flight that can only be described as boreing. The ball lands soft with the short and mid irons, and has more runout as you would expect with the long irons. I have finally gotten my yardages down with these and I have pretty consistent 10 yard gaps between the clubs with the 8 iron being my 155 carry club right now.

The biggest difference I'm seeing is the turf interaction of the smaller sole and the leading edge of the irons. It just cuts through the turf and takes beautiful divots. Its hard for me to describe as these are the thiniest soled irons I have gamed, but it is noticably better than thicker soled irons.

Everyone always wants to know about working the ball, and I've been on record as not being a big fan of this unless I have to. I play pretty much a straight ball with these irons with a slight fade if anything. I have run into a few shots over the last couple of rounds where I have had to hit a draw, or a fade, and the R11's performed ever time and to be honest it was easier than with other irons I have gamed. I still wont be shaping shots into greens unless I have to, but the fact that I can if I want to is great to have in the bag.

After about 10 rounds and maybe 10 range sessions since getting these irons in my filthy mits at the morgan cup I can safely say these are the best irons I have ever played. I loved the R9 irons and these are a step above. I don't know if they do everything that TaylorMade says they do in their ads, but I'll tell you that they are great looking, they are long, they are incredibly consitent, and are just flat out perform. These irons are already lowering my scores, and I look forward to whats to come.

Back