TaylorMade R11 Irons Reviews

Yeah I agree. I'm working on it too. Is a 3/4 swing considered a knockdown?

It depends on where you play the golf ball in your stance dude.

OK, so I am finally out of the woods and have been able to have a couple of range sessions and two more rounds under my belt with the R11 irons. So my past two iron sets have been Game improvement irons but much larger than these irons from top line to sole width and I have to admit that while I don't find thick top lines or seeing the cavity at the back off putting, the sleek just good looking package of the R11's is much better to look at. If you didn't know any better you would think that you were playing a GE iron and they play like them too, but with all the forgiveness that those of us amateur golfers love.

To start, these irons are long in fact, paired with the proper shaft fit to my game, they are longer for me than my previous two sets were, and they were supposed to be "distance" irons. I'm seeing a great high ball flight that can only be described as boreing. The ball lands soft with the short and mid irons, and has more runout as you would expect with the long irons. I have finally gotten my yardages down with these and I have pretty consistent 10 yard gaps between the clubs with the 8 iron being my 155 carry club right now.

The biggest difference I'm seeing is the turf interaction of the smaller sole and the leading edge of the irons. It just cuts through the turf and takes beautiful divots. Its hard for me to describe as these are the thiniest soled irons I have gamed, but it is noticably better than thicker soled irons.

Everyone always wants to know about working the ball, and I've been on record as not being a big fan of this unless I have to. I play pretty much a straight ball with these irons with a slight fade if anything. I have run into a few shots over the last couple of rounds where I have had to hit a draw, or a fade, and the R11's performed ever time and to be honest it was easier than with other irons I have gamed. I still wont be shaping shots into greens unless I have to, but the fact that I can if I want to is great to have in the bag.

After about 10 rounds and maybe 10 range sessions since getting these irons in my filthy mits at the morgan cup I can safely say these are the best irons I have ever played. I loved the R9 irons and these are a step above. I don't know if they do everything that TaylorMade says they do in their ads, but I'll tell you that they are great looking, they are long, they are incredibly consitent, and are just flat out perform. These irons are already lowering my scores, and I look forward to whats to come.

Great write up CB! I did manage to swing a demo 6 iron at Golf Galaxy, but I really need to find a place that I can hit them off turf. I liked what I saw at GG, but as someone who is more of a digger, I really don't do well hitting of mats.

DD how your irons setup? After watch you swing at MC I'm not sure how you could be pulling them left. Pure baby, pure. The Chili pepper you hit still get a laugh out of me.

Glad you enjoyed them Chunky. Fire away if there's anything you want me to try and answer.

Great post CB. We share similar thoughts about the soles. The turn interaction is great and I love a nice healthy divot now. I didn't really experience that with the larger soles on my other irons.

DD how your irons setup? After watch you swing at MC I'm not sure how you could be pulling them left. Pure baby, pure. The Chili pepper you hit still get a laugh out of me.

haha, I heard the dreaded "here we have Ryan Staples getting ready to hit a ball" and got nervous.

I ordered mine with std length and lie. I was originally fit for the MC's in standard lie/length.

Great write up CB! I did manage to swing a demo 6 iron at Golf Galaxy, but I really need to find a place that I can hit them off turf. I liked what I saw at GG, but as someone who is more of a digger, I really don't do well hitting of mats.

Great post CB. We share similar thoughts about the soles. The turn interaction is great and I love a nice healthy divot now. I didn't really experience that with the larger soles on my other irons.

Thanks guys. DD I never really noticed turf interaction until I started gaming these. I'll take a nice healthy divot after the ball as you said, and I didn't even notice that I went through the turf. You are right about the line in the sole too. I don't like that dirt in there and have to spent some time after each round just getting the dirt out of the sole.

lol @ DJ's chili dipper! I swear those only happen to you when you try those knock downs. Just stop it already.

I have to tell you guys, I have enjoyed reading your feedback. These irons are quickly climbing up my hot list.

An interesting perspective on the R11 and its place in TM's lineup:

Nice write up CB. I really like the sound of them. I plan on hitting them this weekend at my home course.

Must..........hit...........these.........SOON!!

An interesting perspective on the R11 and its place in TM's lineup:

That was an interesting video. I wish he would've shared more numbers other than smash factor and launch angle though. Amazing that you can hardly tell the difference between the two irons at address.

I'm getting fired up about these irons.

That was an interesting video. I wish he would've shared more numbers other than smash factor and launch angle though. Amazing that you can hardly tell the difference between the two irons at address.

Totally agree with you there TC, some more numbers would have been great. The interesting thing for me, is I didn't like the CB's at all, I really liked the MC's, but love the R11's. I don't know what about the CB's didn't work for me, but the R11's are money.

I find the video intriguing as well. One part that is not addressed is how is that different than just about any sets each and every year.
What do you think his numbers would be if he hit Mizuno MP-58 and MP-59? Think his smash factor and launch would be a big difference?
Of course he cannot give more numbers because the sets are not going to give the same numbers because the lofts are different and shafts are different at standard.
And of course that is because they are different irons.

Hit some at PGA Superstore the other day and was really impressed. Soft at impact but still got good feedback. Distance was longer then my RXF (thats partially because of the loft difference) and these things shaped really really well. That was the big thing for me that I could consistently hit the shots I wanted to hit and not have to "try" really hard to make the ball move. Not going to lie I really wish I had waited a couple weeks to buy irons because I probably would have taken these over mine because of the stronger lofts.

Great write up CB! Can't wait to hear more about these irons!

I think a trip to GG is in my future to give these a try...

I find the video intriguing as well. One part that is not addressed is how is that different than just about any sets each and every year.
What do you think his numbers would be if he hit Mizuno MP-58 and MP-59? Think his smash factor and launch would be a big difference?
Of course he cannot give more numbers because the sets are not going to give the same numbers because the lofts are different and shafts are different at standard.

He did have the same shaft in each iron. But I agree with you, I wanted more numbers. I appreciate the video, seeing both irons together like that was all I needed.

Hit some at PGA Superstore the other day and was really impressed. Soft at impact but still got good feedback. Distance was longer then my RXF (thats partially because of the loft difference) and these things shaped really really well. That was the big thing for me that I could consistently hit the shots I wanted to hit and not have to "try" really hard to make the ball move. Not going to lie I really wish I had waited a couple weeks to buy irons because I probably would have taken these over mine because of the stronger lofts.

You can have your RXF's bent to stronger lofts dude.

Interesting video, I would be happy with either of those irons, I think the R11's look a little better though.

Has anyone been able to test the spin on these things?

You can have your RXF's bent to stronger lofts dude.

I know...dont want to mess with the bounces and its really not too big of a deal now.

He alluded to the CBs having a forged face and the R11s cast being the difference in smash factor most likely. Could also be why coolbreeze didn't like the CBs but did like the R11s, as they maybe felt softer when hit? All in all a good video, like others maybe seeing or hearing some more numbers would be good.

Has anyone been able to test the spin on these things?

I know...dont want to mess with the bounces and its really not too big of a deal now.

I'm going to try to get these on a launch monitor very soon, however I don't have any other irons kicking around with the same shaft so I'm not sure how much info you will get from that. I can tell you that AW-9 iron just hit and stick for me.

He alluded to the CBs having a forged face and the R11s cast being the difference in smash factor most likely. Could also be why coolbreeze didn't like the CBs but did like the R11s, as they maybe felt softer when hit? All in all a good video, like others maybe seeing or hearing some more numbers would be good.

I don't think it was the forged face since I loved the MC's, but something about the weighting was just off for me.

What's scary about these is some are saying the KBS Tour are launching the ball pretty high. I was going back and forth on whether to go with the Tour or the C-Tapers, looks like maybe the C-Tapers may get the nod. Anybody swung both the C-Tapers and the stock KBS 90 and can tell me how they felt compared to each other?

What's scary about these is some are saying the KBS Tour are launching the ball pretty high. I was going back and forth on whether to go with the Tour or the C-Tapers, looks like maybe the C-Tapers may get the nod. Anybody swung both the C-Tapers and the stock KBS 90 and can tell me how they felt compared to each other?

I have the KBS Tours in my RXT's and I tested the C-Tapers. I find them to feel very similar. It's hard to tell the difference.

r11 vs burner 2.0

r11 vs burner 2.0

is it worth trading in ur 2.0 for r11 ? r they that much better or just a lot of hype?

is it worth trading in ur 2.0 for r11 ? r they that much better or just a lot of hype?

Wow, thats a tough question that only you can answer. For my game there is no question that the R11's are better, but then at the same time, I have the right shaft for my game in the R11's. I find the biggest difference is turf interaction, and consistent distances. I don't know if that helps, but if you had the 2.0's fit properly and you like them, I see no reason to switch.

I also found it interesting that 2 irons that are supposed to be for 2 different kinds of players performed so similarly.
Id actually like to see that too. Perhaps someday there will be a list with a test done with a mechanical golfer like the old Iron Byron that gives raw, unbiased data on which clubs perform the best.
Every company claims their stuff is the best, Id love to see a shootout every year with nothing but the numbers. I have a feeling that most clubs would be pretty equal (within reason though because of the different lofts) but it would be interesting to see how the numbers come out.

Last edited:
Back