TaylorMade R11 Irons Reviews

Got another round in the books with the R11 irons. Here are some things I was working on.

Long Irons: Taylormade was extremely generous in sending a 3 and 4 iron with my set. I stopped using long the 3 and 4 when I added a 2 and 4 hybrid as I felt like I was getting more from those clubs than I could from a long iron. I did some more work on the range to see if I was missing something by leaving them out of the bag. I played with ball position and worked on different flights that could be controlled with my swing. I am not seeing the forgiveness I would like to see from a long iron and it doesn't really compare to a hybrid. I feel like I can get better ball contact and a higher ball flight with the hybrid than I can from the long irons. Ball flight is also lower than I would like to see, which translates to less ball control coming into a green as the release and spin is inconsistent for me to say the least.

The jury is still out, but I will continue to practice with them to see if more shots can develop and if there is a place for them in my bag.

Spin: One of the great benefits I am seeing from the R11s is the fact that because I am hitting the ball higher than my previous set, the ball is staying relatively close to it's landing position. I like the fact that I am getting true carry distance from these and almost no roll out. In terms of carry distance, the R11s seem to be longer for me and I feel like I am more accurate because the ball is staying close to that landing position and ultimately, it's target.

Feel: The harshest feeling part of this club is a thinned shot. You really get some feedback from a shot hit on the equator of the ball plus you get that low bullet that has no chance of stopping.

High/Low Shot: Been working more with trying to flight the ball lower in windy conditions. I had 198 into the wind and would normally hit a 6 iron (with no wind), especially with a back pin, to stay short as there was severe trouble long, as well as being short-sided. I went with a 5 iron punch type shot. Hit it very pure and it released about 10 yards and gave me a birdie opportunity. I wasn't convinced early on that I could hit these low, but given the fact that I have been working with it more on the range, I can safely say that I can, knowing that I need an extra club in doing so.

Overall, I am very close to selling my previous set of irons because they are just sitting around and collecting dust. Really a big fan of the R11s.

I have another round and long range session planned today. I am hoping the weather cooperates. I should be able to get some video shot. I am hoping to capture the impact sound of these irons as it's the best way to describe what I am hearing.

Dang biggsy! I really like that review. I hope you can learn to hit those long irons, but if not, nothing lost. Good luck man.

good update biggsy, These irons are number 1 on my list and with all these great reviews it really makes it hard to hold off on buying some until after the outing

Dang biggsy! I really like that review. I hope you can learn to hit those long irons, but if not, nothing lost. Good luck man.
Thanks TH! I am sure there is a purpose for them and I'd remiss if I didn't give them a fair and thorough review. Some people prefer long irons, they just limit me and the shots I have in my bag when they are in there. (for now) :)

Thanks TH! I am sure there is a purpose for them and I'd remiss if I didn't give them a fair and thorough review. Some people prefer long irons, they just limit me and the shots I have in my bag when they are in there. (for now) :)

I have to agree with you here. When I got into golf (about 3 years ago) hybrids were already pretty commonplace, so I have never been forced to hit long irons. I carry a 4-iron as my highest iron, but dont find myself using it too often as I am just not totally comfortable with it

Thank you for the update Biggsy! Sounds like you're getting used to hitting these low which I know was a concern. If you're hitting into heavier wind how much distance are you losing?

Nice write up Biggsy! I feel ya on the long iron struggle, I've given into the fact that I'll just have to deal with not being able to hit a 4-I personally lol.

You guys make me want to hit these in a bad way.

Yesterday I went to the range to work on some swing things, and i took three clubs with me, R11 AW (50*), Di11 AW(50), and xft wedge 50*. This was just a local range by my office and I was there to work on a grip change, but while there I wanted to see the difference in ball flight and distance between these three club, and see if I wanted to keep the R11 AW in my bag, or if I wanted to go back to the xft 50*.
Distances were not even close to be honest, R11: 125 carry, Di11: 115 carry, xft: 115 carry. The R11 ball flight was as usual a boring trajectory that climbed and climbed and the still was getting distance as it came down, the Di11 got up to high too quickly and then just fell out of the sky, which is where I think it is losing distance compared to the R11. The xft had a great ball flight, clearly more spin than the other two irons, and lower ball flight, but just 5-10 yards consistently shorter than the R11.

I was pretty sure I was going to be keeping the R11 AW in the bag, but after today I was shocked at how much longer it was than its "true" wedge counter part. I do all my pitching and chipping with my 54* or 60* so I don't need a blade style 50* wedge in the bag, and I don't think I will be playing one for quite some time. I'm going to try and sneak out for a round today, and will attempt to get some video of the sound these irons make.

As for the long irons Biggsy was talking about, I love all the irons in this set down to the 5 iron, the 4 iron on the other hand I don't have a ton of confidence in right now, and will be replaced as soon as I find a 4 hybrid that I'm comfortable with. This is not the 4 irons fault, but hybrids are just so much easier to hit for me than long irons its silly for me to have them in the bag. I thank TaylorMade for sending me the extra 4 iron and AW, and the AW has become the most consistent iron in my bag, but the long irons for me do not work when compared to hybrids.

Thats very interesting CB. I remember how much you loved the Wilson Staffs and its surprising to me the R11's are that much longer...Pondering... Later though of course.

Breeze, do you think the shaft you are playing is the reason that the R11 is longer than the Di11?

Thats very interesting CB. I remember how much you loved the Wilson Staffs and its surprising to me the R11's are that much longer...Pondering... Later though of course.

To be honest, I think the distance issue between the R11 and the Di11 is most likely a shaft issue. I don't think the Uniflex shaft in the Di11's fits me all that well, since I was fit to ProjectX 6.0 shafts in the R11's. I fair test would be to put the same shaft in both.

Breeze, do you think the shaft you are playing is the reason that the R11 is longer than the Di11?

I would think it's a shaft thing but I also think that CB is just a better golfer and has more power behind his swing at this stage in his golf career.

I would think it's a shaft thing but I also think that CB is just a better golfer and has more power behind his swing at this stage in his golf career.

I wish I had a golfing career, but yes I think my swing has come a long way since I started playing the Di11's and the Uniflex shaft that I used to love is just not the shaft for me. I think with the same shaft in each the R11 would be just as long, and my guess would be it would have better dispersion as well. The crazy thing is, that it is as long or longer than a "distance" iron and that is not how the R11 is marketed.

Good stuff biggsy and cb. Im really intrigued by these and the pro combos, but these more as they seem to be a little more forgiving

tapatalk addict....

This thread is about to blow up with some great new testers!

To be honest, I think the distance issue between the R11 and the Di11 is most likely a shaft issue. I don't think the Uniflex shaft in the Di11's fits me all that well, since I was fit to ProjectX 6.0 shafts in the R11's. I fair test would be to put the same shaft in both.

Hey Breeze: some really great posts here! Where did you get your R11 irons fitting?

I picked mine up today and got them home to discover that the AW was missing :angry:. Phoned the store and they will contact TaylorMade tomorrow to find out what has happened.

Hoping to play tomorrow to get a feel for them before competitions on Saturday & Sunday.

I picked mine up today and got them home to discover that the AW was missing :angry:. Phoned the store and they will contact TaylorMade tomorrow to find out what has happened.

Hoping to play tomorrow to get a feel for them before competitions on Saturday & Sunday.

Congrats man! That's awesome, yet not awesome. I'm sure TM will take care of you buddy.

Just double checking, the new testers will post to this thread as well?

This thread is about to blow up with some great new testers!

Great feedback CB...I love to hear when a stock AW is so good to hit!

Yesterday I went to the range to work on some swing things, and i took three clubs with me, R11 AW (50*), Di11 AW(50), and xft wedge 50*. This was just a local range by my office and I was there to work on a grip change, but while there I wanted to see the difference in ball flight and distance between these three club, and see if I wanted to keep the R11 AW in my bag, or if I wanted to go back to the xft 50*.
Distances were not even close to be honest, R11: 125 carry, Di11: 115 carry, xft: 115 carry. The R11 ball flight was as usual a boring trajectory that climbed and climbed and the still was getting distance as it came down, the Di11 got up to high too quickly and then just fell out of the sky, which is where I think it is losing distance compared to the R11. The xft had a great ball flight, clearly more spin than the other two irons, and lower ball flight, but just 5-10 yards consistently shorter than the R11.

I was pretty sure I was going to be keeping the R11 AW in the bag, but after today I was shocked at how much longer it was than its "true" wedge counter part. I do all my pitching and chipping with my 54* or 60* so I don't need a blade style 50* wedge in the bag, and I don't think I will be playing one for quite some time. I'm going to try and sneak out for a round today, and will attempt to get some video of the sound these irons make.

As for the long irons Biggsy was talking about, I love all the irons in this set down to the 5 iron, the 4 iron on the other hand I don't have a ton of confidence in right now, and will be replaced as soon as I find a 4 hybrid that I'm comfortable with. This is not the 4 irons fault, but hybrids are just so much easier to hit for me than long irons its silly for me to have them in the bag. I thank TaylorMade for sending me the extra 4 iron and AW, and the AW has become the most consistent iron in my bag, but the long irons for me do not work when compared to hybrids.

Great feedback CB...I love to hear when a stock AW is so good to hit!

Good to hear that you like your AW CB. i love my AW from my burner 2.0 set and can't wait to test out the AW from the R11 i took it out of my bag for my XFT also and quickly replaced it due to the consistency and it filled my gap better between clubs. i usually warm up with my AW or PW every range session just to get my confidence going.

Just double checking, the new testers will post to this thread as well?

JB, I wanted to quote this to get your answer. I think tadashi has some feedback. Do we post here?

TMaG has the best CS I have ever dealt with. They will hook you up.

They messed up my order to, they got the right order shipped to me 2nd day air and threw in a dozen Pentas. They will get you taken care of.

There is a testing thread set up for the testers I believe, and when you guys finish posting your unboxings and thoughts, that will be the thread everyone will post in, and this thread will be locked.

Back