TaylorMade R11 Irons Reviews

There is a testing thread set up for the testers I believe, and when you guys finish posting your unboxings and thoughts, that will be the thread everyone will post in, and this thread will be locked.

hmm, I must've missed that one. Thanks.

I also have some video from todays range session that I will be uploading later after I spend some family time. I tried to capture the sound of the ball off the face of these irons, and it came out ok.

Quick thoughts after todays range session, dispersion is still incredibly tight, I'm loving the ball flight, just boring and high, and I can pull 5 iron through AW at any time and know that its going to be a good shot.

I tried to hit some driver shots today, and hit some half wedges, but I just couldn't help myself and kept hitting these irons again and again. I'm really looking forward to the testers thoughts on these as soon as they get out there.

Quick thoughts after todays range session, dispersion is still incredibly tight, I'm loving the ball flight, just boring and high, and I can pull 5 iron through AW at any time and know that its going to be a good shot.

I highlighted part of coolbreeze's post because it is the aspect of these clubs that I am really enjoying right now. When I hit the ball well with these irons, there is very little side-to-side movement. That said, it's even more important on shots where I don't hit it well. I played a round yesterday, and had 2 shots on par 3's on the back nine that illustrated this. 14th hole was a 185 yard par 3 playing slightly downhill. I hit a 6-iron, felt that I caught it close to the heel, and instantly said "go!" after I hit it. The ball actually had a slight fade on it and ended up 8 feet below the hole, and I made the birdie putt. On the 17th hole, it was 160 yards, and I hit 8-iron that I caught a little near the toe and it had a draw on it. I thought that it would miss on the left side of the green with the swing I put on it, but it ended up catching the left side of the green with some room to spare. Both of those shots didn't lose as much distance or have as much movement off of the initial line as I thought they would, which was really nice to see. I think that all of us can get the ball to do what we want when we hit it on the screws, but I'm finding that these clubs help me a great deal when I'm not striking it well, which is an added bonus.

Alright I've been talking about the sound a little bit lately and I thought I would try and take a video of the sound of the R11's. Of all these shots only the second one wasn't hit well but the rest were struck solidely. Anyway, hope you enjoy it.

[YOUTUBE]bzKI0h-eX74 [/YOUTUBE]

Nice CB! Those irons have a sweet sound to them. Looks like your hitting the ball really well with them.

Thanks for the vid CB! Keep up the good work!

I like that crisp clean sound of a solidly struct ball. Nice looking range BTW...

Nice CB! Those irons have a sweet sound to them. Looks like your hitting the ball really well with them.

Thanks for the vid CB! Keep up the good work!

I like that crisp clean sound of a solidly struct ball. Nice looking range BTW...

Thanks Gents. My ball striking has really improved since I've been playing these irons, and while I have nothing to do with the condition the range is in, its one of the reasons I joined the club. The practice facility is spectacular.

Those sound pretty nice, but how do we know that's you?

Kevin

Those sound pretty nice, but how do we know that's you?

Kevin

Canadian Tattoo on the ankle and the crisp sound off the clubface is a dead give away.

Canadian Tattoo on the ankle and the crisp sound off the clubface is a dead give away.

I know about 4 people from my grad class that have almost that same tattoo lol. Was that the AW? They sound great.

And you're left handed. Your shots sound crisper when you're less sweaty.

Kevin

Nice video CB. I love that sound!

Dang CB, those R11s sound so nice. Nice range you have btw or at least it looks that way

Nice video CB...man with all that Nike stuff on the range I would have thought you were at the "Oven" :D

Heard back from the store today. TaylorMade didn't have the AW heads in stock and it will be about 10 days until I get it.

Although not ideal I can at least start getting used to the rest of the irons while I wait on the AW. Hoping to play later today, if it stops raining!!

Loved the video CB. You did a great job capturing the sound.

I took some video yesterday as well and I am working on doctoring and loading it up this morning.

Took some video yesterday out at Twin Eagles. They are doing a lot of work on the course in preparation for the LPGA Event as well as the Ace Group Classic that is coming back to the club. A few shots from a PW, 7i and 4i. You' want to stick around for the two long iron shots at the end. :)

About the long irons or the 4 iron in general. You'll notice in the video that I hit one fat and then one thin. CB put it well, I just have no confidence in the long irons. It could be I am so in love with my hybrids that I don't want to like these. It's just hard for me to imagine that I could top the versatility I get from a hybrid. Still very appreciative and thankful for the extra clubs and will continue to practice with them until I have a solid conclusion.

I'll say it again, I love the sound these irons make. Turf interaction is outstanding.

Does this mean that if you purchased new R11 irons that you can't or should not post a review in that thread?
There is a testing thread set up for the testers I believe, and when you guys finish posting your unboxings and thoughts, that will be the thread everyone will post in, and this thread will be locked.

Just wanted to let everybody know I ordered my set of R11's, 6-PW +1/4 long and 2* upright, yeah buddy they felt so good when I hit them and the kbs shaft gave me a great ball flight, really looking forward to getting these in and playing them

Took some video yesterday out at Twin Eagles. They are doing a lot of work on the course in preparation for the LPGA Event as well as the Ace Group Classic that is coming back to the club. A few shots from a PW, 7i and 4i. You' want to stick around for the two long iron shots at the end. :)

About the long irons or the 4 iron in general. You'll notice in the video that I hit one fat and then one thin. CB put it well, I just have no confidence in the long irons. It could be I am so in love with my hybrids that I don't want to like these. It's just hard for me to imagine that I could top the versatility I get from a hybrid. Still very appreciative and thankful for the extra clubs and will continue to practice with them until I have a solid conclusion.

I'll say it again, I love the sound these irons make. Turf interaction is outstanding.

Not sure if its the camera angle but you have all your balls placed pretty far back in your stance, most behind the middle of your stance slightly. You did this on the 4 iron too. A tip that might help you with longer irons is place them farther up in your stance. Ideally the farthest back the ball will be is with wedge and that will be a hair foward of middle.

I really liked the long irons in the R11 set. They are probably one of the easiest long irons to hit Ive seen.

Not sure if its the camera angle but you have all your balls placed pretty far back in your stance, most behind the middle of your stance slightly. You did this on the 4 iron too. A tip that might help you with longer irons is place them farther up in your stance. Ideally the farthest back the ball will be is with wedge and that will be a hair foward of middle.

I really liked the long irons in the R11 set. They are probably one of the easiest long irons to hit Ive seen.

This really depends on the swing and how steep one gets in some ways. Depending on the shot one is trying to hit, ball placement is key and can be used to manipulate the ball flight quite easily.

This really depends on the swing and how steep one gets in some ways. Depending on the shot one is trying to hit, ball placement is key and can be used to manipulate the ball flight quite easily.

Oh yea for sure. If you want a low ball, knock down- place it back behind middle slightly. Just something for him to try, I havent seen an instructor tell someone to place the ball back that far for a normal shot so thought I would point it out. I could see how it would cause problems for long irons.

Back