Taylormade R9 SuperTri Driver Review

Ive bought a whole new set for less then that. haha.

I noticed my irons are starting to get nicked up pretty good too, haha. It's probably time to upgrade the entire bag but I am notoriously frugal *aka cheapskate.

There you go!! How was the putter last time out? Little yippy? Well to get back on topic, the R9 SuperTri is an excellent place to start or the SuperFast.

I was cleaning my clubs today and noticed either a nick or crack on the face of my driver (Evolver), is it a bad thing that I'm hoping it's cracked so I can justify buying a new SuperTri? LMAO

Of course not MO. Your due!

I hit this beauty today, we had a Taylormade Demo day and I had to give it a whirl.

The guy took a look at me and set me up 2* open and playing 11.5 to start with. That's really beinging it down to 10.5 and I enjoyed the ball flight immensely with the stiff Motore. Then we tried 1 deg open and 10.5 and the results were a little better still, distance was amazingly consitent and dispersion solid enough. After a day sat at a desk and a dash in the car to get there I was pretty stiff to start but as I loosened up I just loved the control this set up gave me. Stats were really good with it re ballflight, launch etc.

It is 12 yards longer than my R7 Ltd, no lie. Obviously being an internet golfer we had to fly to rural China first to find an open area big enough for me to crush my drives the full distance, sadly Canada was fully booked. Only a couple of moments of tension with Russian border control but otherwise I was very happy to be whacking this club. I guess I'm going to have to get one, it's just ridiculously good. I was sceptical that the FCT, MWT combo would have me constantly tinkering with it but having that facility is actually a really important factor imo and opens you up to so many more possibilities. I'm sold and cannot wait to get one in my bag.

I have had this Supertri in my bag from the day it came out, like JB I was a huge fan of the original R9 and figured the new one could only be better. After reading through the thread it looks like a couple people had some mixed reviews on the club and all I can say is that JB had it right when he said he did some shaft testing with his review.

I had to play around with a few shafts on my SuperTri before I found the right one for me. I think that if you are just buying a stock R9 or R9 TP with the Motore and Motore F1 shaft on it, you are limited to that shaft choice because TM wont release the FCT sleeves to the golf shops. I really think it is a huge mistake on TM's part because there are a lot of people who could benefit from switching up the stock shafts for something that plays better to their game.

My reccomendation is to try to find a reputable club maker that can "find" the TM sleeves to give you some shaft options before giving up on the SuperTri because this is one hell of a driver!

Unfortunately none of the companies do it. Callaway, Nike, Cobra, Nickent before it closed. That is why a fitting before purchase is so crucial, so you can order with the right shaft.

My only problem with that JB is that the shafts are so limited with the R9's and from what I'm told, they won't let you order anything outside of what is listed on the website...

I love the whiteboard shaft on the driver and I am extremely happy with it but I had to pay a boatload and search high and low to find the right one. This could turn off most golfers, I just knew I wouldn't be fully happy with the Motore F1 shaft so I had to switch.

Plus for the people who keep their drivers longer than 18 months, what if their swing changes or they loose some club head speed, they are stuck buying a whole new driver when all they may really need is a different shaft. I think they should have options with these that you can purchase like the old R7 CGB Max limited...

My playing partner bought a Miyazaki Blue and sent it into TM and they tipped it for him. And lets not also forget that there are all kinds of tips available on ebay as well. I dont see this as a TM problem, but rather the whole industry. None of the companies are selling them. These companies are in teh business to sell golf clubs and if people can change the shaft out each season and keep the same head, they may not buy golf clubs.

Just got one. I have demoed them for the past 6 weeks, hitting it maybe 8 different occasions. Supertri is the one that I kept going back to...stock Motore 60 S.
I loved my old S9 Pro, but as I've changed my swing the freq at 264 was too much, this one is around 241, big difference. I like that it is pretty much aim and hit. I'm using the N or NU position with weights left stock (haven't even thought about messing with them). I do wish it would be a wee stiffer, but I am planning to try anbd find some used r9 shafts with the old sleeves to try. Those will retrofit right in, correct? Not worried about the look difference between old sleeves and the new ones, as long as they work.

I have a few more rounds under my belt now...

My fairway percentage has gone from 38% to 57% since I started gaming the SuperTri and this past round I hit 75% on the front nine!

I played this driver both Saturday and Sunday but with different shafts each day. Saturday I used a Project X 6.0 and Sunday i used my normal Miyazaki. Both are awesome shafts, but I will be sticking with the Miyazaki.

Yeah thats a good choice JB, Sunday was a huge difference in your driving from Saturday. I played the SuperTri both days but with the Attas shaft and Im very happy with my results. I was getting good distance for me and a nice draw.

Yeah thats a good choice JB, Sunday was a huge difference in your driving from Saturday. I played the SuperTri both days but with the Attas shaft and Im very happy with my results. I was getting good distance for me and a nice draw.

Someone has some updating to do on his signature...haha

I was at Golf Town over the weekend and while my fiancee was trying on some clothes, I grabbed a SuperTri off the rack and took some swings. As much as it pains me to say this, I could not hit that thing to save my life. I did not change any settings becuase I just wanted to get a feel for it while I was there, but I just could not hit it. Every swing was off the toe, no matter what I did. I don't know if the MWT was screwing me up or what, but I could not hit the ball properly. Then again, every TM driver I have ever tested, did not work for me. I'm sure it's a great club, but I just don't think it's the club for me.

Screw Breaking in Fairway Woods

Screw Breaking in Fairway Woods

I have the R9 Supertri and a 3 and 5 wood in the R9, when I tighten the driver, I hear the click and all is well, When I tightened the 3 and 5 wood, the screw just kept tightening until the screw snapped, this has happened to me several times with the fairway woods, luckily I can get the screw out with a vise, I ordered more screws because I never know when the fairway woods are tight, they never click, I just have to guess or the screw breaks, is this a common problem?? I used the wrench that came with the 3 wood when it breaks.:beat-up:

I have the R9 Supertri and a 3 and 5 wood in the R9, when I tighten the driver, I hear the click and all is well, When I tightened the 3 and 5 wood, the screw just kept tightening until the screw snapped, this has happened to me several times with the fairway woods, luckily I can get the screw out with a vise, I ordered more screws because I never know when the fairway woods are tight, they never click, I just have to guess or the screw breaks, is this a common problem?? I used the wrench that came with the 3 wood when it breaks.:beat-up:

It never clicks? Out of curiosity, where did you order screws from? I would contact Taylormade and send them both back in. Where were they purchased from?

I'm sorta considering this driver. A couple questions though....I'm currently playing the R7 TP and I'm wondering if my R7 set of weights would be compatible with the R9-supertri? Also would playing with those weights be a good idea? My understanding is that the supertri comes with just the 16-1-1 weights rather than the whole assortment the R7 gives.

The other thing is while I'm not a big fan of the R7 head, the Fujikura Speeder 757 that it came with has been the first and only driver shaft that I've ever loved and "felt right". I understand that I can probably get that pulled and put into the Supertri, but the question is does doing that destroy the shaft so it can't be used in any other drivers? (I'm assuming they have to mod it so that it works with the FCT system)

The weights should work fine. As for the shaft, I would recommend hitting the SuperTri shaft and seeing if it is comparable. I made a shaft change in mine to a Miyazaki.

I've actually spent some time at a TM demo day up here and talked with one of their guys while he was fitting me on a launch monitor. It appears that my drives on my R7 were pretty ideal in terms of launch angle and backspin (so the original purchase was actually good for once hahaha!), but the ball velocity could be improved with the supertri.

Going through what they had, the non-TP shafts just wouldn't work....too much backspin. As for the rest:
MotoreF1 - I definitely agree with your review. It's a little on the stiff side. I was losing the ball to the right without some major adjustment.
Fubuki - I can't really remember this one...I just remember hating it.....
Aldila SVS6 - This one ended up being pretty good. I could control it, and it kept me at the same launch angle+backspin as the Fuji with a decent increase in ball velocity. (The latter being the R9supertri vs R7 head I assume)

If I were to do this, I'd definitely get it with the Aldila, but being a tinkering of sorta, I feel like I almost NEED to put in the Fuji757 to compare.

I was also really surprised that I needed to use the draw setting on the weights for the supertri to get the same draw I get with my R7 at neutral. (Any draw settings on my R7 just became hook city so I always have it at neutral to slight fade on really really bad "hooky" days)

Then again, with how convenient changing shafts is with this thing, I almost feel like I'll buy a garage full of them to tinker with.

Great info, I need to reduce my ballflight and spin. My SS is 108 and am getting no roll. Anyone have any ideas as to what shaft would be most beneficial?

Great info, I need to reduce my ballflight and spin. My SS is 108 and am getting no roll. Anyone have any ideas as to what shaft would be most beneficial?

It is really going to take a fitting to get that kind of info properly unless you want to go trial and error. A good low launch low spin shaft would be a good start. There are tons of them of course depending on price range and other swing factors.

I just got this driver a couple weeks ago while Dick's Sporting Goods was having a $100 trade-in bonus. At first, I was regretting trading my Ping G10 in because I just couldn't hit the R9 well. Gray gave me a regular flex shaft he had that was a little shorter (44.5). After a couple days of adjusting the settings/weights and practicing on the range I finally found that the NU setting works best for me. I would fight you over this driver now! I am hitting it at least 10 yards longer than my old driver and I'm keeping it in the fairway most of the time.

Sorry for the momentary thread jack here but is THP going to get to review the SuperDeep TP at all?

Sorry for the momentary thread jack here but is THP going to get to review the SuperDeep TP at all?

We have one, but it will most likely not get reviewed. It is for such a small amount of golfers out there, but we are trying to get one for the Fall Outing to let everybody try out. No promises of course, but the attempt has been put in.

Back