Taylormade R9 SuperTri Driver Review

The numbers look very good. It sounds like a good fit.

The numbers look very good. It sounds like a good fit.

Any idea what would change if I bit the bullet and bought a nicer shaft?
And if so, what would you recommend other than the Miyazaki?

Any idea what would change if I bit the bullet and bought a nicer shaft?
And if so, what would you recommend other than the Miyazaki?

Shafts are a personal thing. I think there are tons of great shafts on the market. UST Attas line, PX, Miyazaki just to name a few. But that would come down to fitting and finding the perfect shaft for your game.

At our THP Outing & Demo day coming up next month, we are going to have a SuperTri out there with many different shafts to try out on our VectorX launch monitor. That way people can get it fine tuned to their game.

Shafts are a personal thing. I think there are tons of great shafts on the market. UST Attas line, PX, Miyazaki just to name a few. But that would come down to fitting and finding the perfect shaft for your game.

At our THP Outing & Demo day coming up next month, we are going to have a SuperTri out there with many different shafts to try out on our VectorX launch monitor. That way people can get it fine tuned to their game.

JB -- What loft will the SuperTri be? I will probaly bring my 9.5 head anyway so I can try one of the shafts available at demo day.

JB -- What loft will the SuperTri be? I will probaly bring my 9.5 head anyway so I can try one of the shafts available at demo day.

I dont have an answer for that right now, because we just dont know yet.

I hit the SuperTri last night at GG...I like it alot. I could only compare it to my driver that I measure with my GPS on the course. Judging by the numbers(granted not hit side by side so conditions were far different)...I gained about 8 yards with the SuperTri. With the stock shaft, my SS was 94-98, launch was around 14, and my spin was 3600+. I think with the proper shaft this has potential to be my next driver...

Thanks for the help JB.

It's killing me that I can't make the outing to meet you folks and take advantage of the shafts and launch monitor !

This is the greatest bit of info I've read all day! I NEED this information for my game, I am so in the dark on what shaft I should be hitting in my driver it's not even funny.

Ok...here's the story of tonights trial...

The local golf shop only had 9.5 and 10.5 clubs in the stock stiff shaft for me to try. I only hit the 9.5 and here are the results.

After 25 swings hitting Srixon balls indoors....

Avg. club head speed - 106 mph
Avg. ball speed - 154 mph
Avg. Launch angle - 11.5 deg
Avg. carry - 269 yds

The club felt great and the shot dispersion was very tight. I hit my baby fade almost every time. (I'd like to draw it sometimes, but you know how that goes)
There was a few guys there that wanted to hit other drivers, so I couldn't hit the club with a bunch of adjustments.
The launch angle avg went down a little when we closed the club face 2 deg. It started out at about 13.5 degrees in the neutral position.
I didn't move the weights around due to other hitters wanting the launch monitor.

I don't think I can justify a real spendy shaft, so I would have to stick with the stock shaft....for now anyways.
The golf shop wants $399.99 for this and I would get a $100.00 gift card with it to spend in the store.
I asked if I could bypass the card and discount the club, but....no can do.

I would love to hear opinions on the numbers I have provided to help me decide if this is the club for me.

I think your numbers look really good.... 269 yards on 106mph swing speed is very nice. Smash factor over 1.46 is really good. I think you've got a good shaft for your swing right now. Isn't it nice to have that launch monitor data to back up your warm and fuzzies?

I think your numbers look really good.... 269 yards on 106mph swing speed is very nice. Smash factor over 1.46 is really good. I think you've got a good shaft for your swing right now. Isn't it nice to have that launch monitor data to back up your warm and fuzzies?

I bought it last night after hitting it again on the golf shop monitor. Almost the same numbers, so that was good.
Took it out for the first round and it has found a permanent home in my bag.
I really like the club and have no complaints whatsoever.....well...there is one small one...it's really hard to get my Pebble Beach headcover on it.

I bought it last night after hitting it again on the golf shop monitor. Almost the same numbers, so that was good.
Took it out for the first round and it has found a permanent home in my bag.
I really like the club and have no complaints whatsoever.....well...there is one small one...it's really hard to get my Pebble Beach headcover on it.

Nice, Drum. Which shaft did you go with?

Nice, Drum. Which shaft did you go with?

Right now, just the stock stiff shaft. We don't have any shops around here that carry a bunch of different shafts to try out.
Heck, Spokane barely supports one golf store anymore. We use to have Golf Galaxy, Discount Golf, along with a couple of smaller shops.
Now....we have one small shop. I guess everyone in this city buys all their equipment online.
I may have to take a trip to Seattle (5hr drive) and see if one of the many shops over there would have shafts for me to try on a launch monitor.

I'm a little surprised you can use the stock stiff shaft with a 106mph swing speed though. Obviously, everyone's swing is different. When I got fitted, I was getting too much backspin with the stock and they had to start dumping in the TP shafts for me to try out.

I'll add to the Supertri love, got fitted into this driver at the Taylormade Performance Lab earlier today. Swing speed was 102-104 inside, swing speed was a little lower outside but ball speed was around 150 outside with good swings. I got fitted into a Supertri 10.5 with the Fubuki 73 stiff shaft in the neutral position. I was curious about the Superfast TP going into the fitting, but they only had the Superfast TP with the HD6 shaft in stiff flex, and I felt like it was less stable than the Fubuki. I may be giving up a few yards compared to the Superfast TP, but the dispersion is so much better with the Supertri-Fubuki combo. Full report on my Taylormade Performance Lab experience coming in a day or two.

I'm a little surprised you can use the stock stiff shaft with a 106mph swing speed though. Obviously, everyone's swing is different. When I got fitted, I was getting too much backspin with the stock and they had to start dumping in the TP shafts for me to try out.

I don't know what to say. Are you thinking my swing speed is too high for the stock stiff shaft? If I remember right, the backspin I was getting was around 3200 rpm.
I have no idea if that is good...bad...or indifferent. The guy at the shop said it was fine.
All I can go by is the numbers on their launch monitor. I know they have had that same monitor for a few years(3 anyway), so maybe their numbers aren't any good.
What I can say is, I really like the driver, I hit it 15 yards farther than my 9.5* Callaway FT-5 Tour with a Pershing stiff shaft, and the shot dispersion is really tight.
I left the head in the neutral position and didn't play with the weights at all when I took it out this morning to the course. The flight path was lower than my FT-5, which is something I was looking for, and got quite a bit more rollout. The total distance was averaging about 285-290 and had 4 drives over the 305 mark.
My average drives with the FT-5 were in the 270 to 280 with the occasional 300 yard drive.
I don't know if a different shaft would give me more performance, but I'd sure like to find out....in the future.

I don't know what to say. Are you thinking my swing speed is too high for the stock stiff shaft? If I remember right, the backspin I was getting was around 3200 rpm.
I have no idea if that is good...bad...or indifferent. The guy at the shop said it was fine.
All I can go by is the numbers on their launch monitor. I know they have had that same monitor for a few years(3 anyway), so maybe their numbers aren't any good.
What I can say is, I really like the driver, I hit it 15 yards farther than my 9.5* Callaway FT-5 Tour with a Pershing stiff shaft, and the shot dispersion is really tight.
I left the head in the neutral position and didn't play with the weights at all when I took it out this morning to the course. The flight path was lower than my FT-5, which is something I was looking for, and got quite a bit more rollout. The total distance was averaging about 285-290 and had 4 drives over the 305 mark.
My average drives with the FT-5 were in the 270 to 280 with the occasional 300 yard drive.
I don't know if a different shaft would give me more performance, but I'd sure like to find out....in the future.

DONT TOUCH A THING!!!!!

Thats PGA TOUR average distance, dont touch anything. If your putting it out there that far no need to change anything at all.

In fact its actually quite farther than MANY on the PGA Tour. Heck the 290 mark would put you in the top 15 on the PGA Tour in driving distance.

In fact its actually quite farther than MANY on the PGA Tour. Heck the 290 mark would put you in the top 15 on the PGA Tour in driving distance.

I was just fixing to edit my post and say wait your past many of them. I think i heard today bubba watson was averaging just over 306 yards per drive and he was right up at the top or the top one.

DONT TOUCH A THING!!!!!

Thats PGA TOUR average distance, dont touch anything. If your putting it out there that far no need to change anything at all.
I think those are awesome numbers. I wouldn't want to change a thing. Congratulations on the big yardage gain.

Thanks to all.

Now if I could just get my long and middle irons to be as accurate as I am with the driver, I could drop my hdcp by a storke or 2.
My goal this year was to get down to 5. I'v gone from 7.2 last year down 6.2 right now, so it might happen with the help from my SuperTri.

My SuperTri was delivered yesterday!! I was so psyched when I saw that Taylormade box. I should be able to get out to the range with it tomorrow morning. This thing looks so sexy it's almost a shame that I am going to hit it. Haha!!

My SuperTri was delivered yesterday!! I was so psyched when I saw that Taylormade box. I should be able to get out to the range with it tomorrow morning. This thing looks so sexy it's almost a shame that I am going to hit it. Haha!!

Let us know how it is working for you.

I managed to pick up a Super-tri last week for only £120 (see clubs brought thread). However, I don't like it (at the moment), when I hit it right I'm getting 10-20 yards further out of it than my Nike Dymo2 driver. But tbh the ball flight and angle is all over the place!!

From this I conclude that the head is really good...but the shaft is completly wrong for me. Fortunately I've located a proper local club maker/fitter who will be able to hook me up with a new shaft/grip for it which will hopefully make it a main-stay in my bag for a while.

So far I have only had two range sessions with the SuperTri and so far I am really happy with this club. All around neutral weight and head settings seem to work the best for me. The first thing I noticed is how forgiving it is. Heel and toe shots don't seem to peel off dramatically. I am playing this Sunday and Monday so I will get a gauge for the distance on it. I hit it a little higher than my old driver but I don't think it will be a problem. If anything hopefully I will get more carry out of it. So far so good and I will get back in here after my two rounds to relay what I got on the course.

still enjoying my SuperTri... :)

Back