Taylormade R9 SuperTri Driver Review

So far I have only had two range sessions with the SuperTri and so far I am really happy with this club. All around neutral weight and head settings seem to work the best for me. The first thing I noticed is how forgiving it is. Heel and toe shots don't seem to peel off dramatically. I am playing this Sunday and Monday so I will get a gauge for the distance on it. I hit it a little higher than my old driver but I don't think it will be a problem. If anything hopefully I will get more carry out of it. So far so good and I will get back in here after my two rounds to relay what I got on the course.

I hit it higher as well. It was never really an issue for me though. I ended up doing a shaft change and that brought the flight down a little bit.

I have now had 3 rounds in with my SuperTri. Unfortunately in 2 of the 3 rounds I was having swing problems so I am not going to hold that against the SuperTri. However in the round where my swing was on point this driver performed great. I tracked two drives with my GPS and I was amazed to find out that I had hit 303 and 316 yards! Never before had I hit numbers like this with my old driver. I was doing good to get 270 out of it. I will also say on the two rounds where my swing was less than consistent that the SuperTri kept me in the fairway or at least the first cut more often then not. So far this thing is fantastic and I could not be happier with it.

I have now had 3 rounds in with my SuperTri. Unfortunately in 2 of the 3 rounds I was having swing problems so I am not going to hold that against the SuperTri. However in the round where my swing was on point this driver performed great. I tracked two drives with my GPS and I was amazed to find out that I had hit 303 and 316 yards! Never before had I hit numbers like this with my old driver. I was doing good to get 270 out of it. I will also say on the two rounds where my swing was less than consistent that the SuperTri kept me in the fairway or at least the first cut more often then not. So far this thing is fantastic and I could not be happier with it.
congrats... :D

when I hit the SuperTri on the sweet spot (dead center), it makes the best sound upon impact... I've actually returned the FCT to N now and just left the heavier weight on the heel to still help with my slice... used to have the FCT all the way on L but with the fixes on my swing, I find that with the N, I now have better ball flight than I use to with it being on L... overall, the SuperTri is great to have in the bag.. it'll be hard to switch for anything else... :D

Took my re-shafted Super Tri out on the course today. Results were amazing, hit the ball dead straight with a lovely penetrating flight! Currently set up in the neutral position, which brings me on to the only bad bit about the re-shafting. I can now only set the club up neutral or upright neutral due to the spine in the shaft. Luckily those are the only 2 settings I'd like anyway :)

So I'm very happy with the club now and it should be a mainstay in my bag for a few years.

Took my re-shafted Super Tri out on the course today. Results were amazing, hit the ball dead straight with a lovely penetrating flight! Currently set up in the neutral position, which brings me on to the only bad bit about the re-shafting. I can now only set the club up neutral or upright neutral due to the spine in the shaft. Luckily those are the only 2 settings I'd like anyway :)

So I'm very happy with the club now and it should be a mainstay in my bag for a few years.

Couldn't you also do the exact opposite direction as well? In other words, if it is currently facing the 9 o'clock position, couldn't it go to the 3 o'clock position? I don't know what that position is with the sleeve, but it makes sense in my mind.

Last edited:
Couldn't you also do the exact opposite direction as well? In other words, if it is currently facing the 9 o'clock position, couldn't it go to the 3 o'clock position? I don't know what that position is with the sleeve, but it makes sense in my mind.

Correct. Sorry, I explained it badly. The "N" and "NU" positions are 180* apart on the hosel. So therefore these are the 2 positions i can use. Your thinking is accurate though :)

While this is the SuperTri thread I just got my SuperDeep last Saturday and all I can say is this thing just BOMBS it!! It is easily 10-15 yards longer than my G10 and the RIP shaft is smooth as silk. I have left it on the stock setting and in my first nine holes I hit 6 of 7 fairways with a 10 mph wind aided 346 yard drive. My average ended up around 305. I just love this club and even when I dont hit the sweet spot it still goes a good distance. I have a tournament at Glen Erin in Janesville WI on Friday and Saturday so we'll see how things go then.

Correct. Sorry, I explained it badly. The "N" and "NU" positions are 180* apart on the hosel. So therefore these are the 2 positions i can use. Your thinking is accurate though :)

Nah; you explained it fine. I didn't know they were 180 apart. My spine is set for NU-R (to keep me from overcooking the draw), so I guess my other option is N-L.. which I would never use.

Here's a quick update on my love affair with the Super-Tri.

Last 8 rounds

91% fairways hit
Average driving distance measured with Skycaddie GPS 287 yds.

With the addition of the Super-Tri to the bag and the tip from amollerud on hitting my longer irons, my hdcp has dropped from 6.2 to 4.9 and then in yesterdays ghin update, down to an all time personal best low of 3.0 !!

Have I told you how much I love my Super-Tri ??

Question for you JB:

I am much better at keeping my 3W in the fairway than my driver and it has a "draw" face angle. I know that there are plenty of factors that come into play here (shaft length, etc), but I'm wondering if the FCT is for real. Is it common for people that miss right to see an improvement by closing the face on these drivers?

Question for you JB:

I am much better at keeping my 3W in the fairway than my driver and it has a "draw" face angle. I know that there are plenty of factors that come into play here (shaft length, etc), but I'm wondering if the FCT is for real. Is it common for people that miss right to see an improvement by closing the face on these drivers?

Missing right is a swing flaw more than anything else. But a closed face CAN assist with that.

Yea, I know it's all me, but I was just curious since I have a closed face on my 3W. Thanks, I'll be curious to see what happens when I try it at the outing.

Yea, I know it's all me, but I was just curious since I have a closed face on my 3W. Thanks, I'll be curious to see what happens when I try it at the outing.

There are so many factors that play a role in hitting it straight.

Swing, clubs fitting swing, shaft, ball, etc...

We will get it worked out for you this Saturday.

Doesn't that sound awesome to say? Saturday. As in 5 days from now!

So to bring up a thread that's been dead for a little bit..

For those that have hit the Supertri and FT Tour, how do they compare? When I got fitted for my driver, the ones they had that I was able to test were the Titleist 909D2 / 909D3, Cobra ZL, Ping G15, and Nike Machspeed. The fitter told me that with my swing speed I needed a low spin driver head and immediately directed me toward the FT Tour. I eventually bought one and like it pretty well, but I'd like a 460cc club head for the added forgiveness. The supertri is obviously a looker and is tempting but there is no one around here that carries it with X flex shafts and I'd like to know how they compare before throwing out $200+ to buy one off of the bay.

Also, all of the shaft offerings worry me. I'd love to be able to get on a launch monitor and test each to see which is best but I am geographically constrained. I realize that no one will be able to fit me based strictly on SS, but for what it's worth my SS is between 112 and 115 with a really quick tempo.

For those that have hit the Supertri and FT Tour, how do they compare? When I got fitted for my driver, the ones they had that I was able to test were the Titleist 909D2 / 909D3, Cobra ZL, Ping G15, and Nike Machspeed. The fitter told me that with my swing speed I needed a low spin driver head and immediately directed me toward the FT Tour. I eventually bought one and like it pretty well, but I'd like a 460cc club head for the added forgiveness. The supertri is obviously a looker and is tempting but there is no one around here that carries it with X flex shafts and I'd like to know how they compare before throwing out $200+ to buy one off of the bay.

Also, all of the shaft offerings worry me. I'd love to be able to get on a launch monitor and test each to see which is best but I am geographically constrained. I realize that no one will be able to fit me based strictly on SS, but for what it's worth my SS is between 112 and 115 with a really quick tempo.

The SuperTri is not a low spin driver. In fact it is a high spin driver.

Superdeep is the lowspin. Super Low Spin.

I had read that it wasn't low spin but that a certain combination of weights (2, 8, 2 if I recall correctly) would help to bring the spin down. Is the TP any different than the regular as far as spin goes? The reason I had been looking at the ST as opposed to the SD is that the SD has a sub 460cc head like I currently play and I don't think I'd really gain any advantage over what I already have if I went that direction.

If im not mistaken the TP is just a different shaft, JB would know for sure though. It may bring the spin down a little but because the ST is made to be a high spin/high launch driver, it wont ever be a low spin or even a mid spin driver.
I had read that it wasn't low spin but that a certain combination of weights (2, 8, 2 if I recall correctly) would help to bring the spin down. Is the TP any different than the regular as far as spin goes? The reason I had been looking at the ST as opposed to the SD is that the SD has a sub 460cc head like I currently play and I don't think I'd really gain any advantage over what I already have if I went that direction.

No, the TP is just a different shaft for the most part. And while changing the weights can lower the spin, the fact remains that it is still a higher spin driver. If you can make it down to the next THP outing, you can make sure to try out many drivers and get those launch conditions dialed in with the right spin, shaft, etc...

I put a project x 6.0 shaft in my supertri the other day. First time I have hit that exact combo(hit it with the 6.5 down at the outing). I loved the ball flight and distance I was getting from it. It was hard to tell if I was getting more distance than my Diablo, but I will say that I didn't hit any real wayward drives. I had one tee shot that went in the water, but the water was right alongside the fairway and it just snuck in. I didn't play with any of the settings on it, everything was set to neutral. I can't wait to get back out there with it.

We rule
I put a project x 6.0 shaft in my supertri the other day. First time I have hit that exact combo(hit it with the 6.5 down at the outing). I loved the ball flight and distance I was getting from it. It was hard to tell if I was getting more distance than my Diablo, but I will say that I didn't hit any real wayward drives. I had one tee shot that went in the water, but the water was right alongside the fairway and it just snuck in. I didn't play with any of the settings on it, everything was set to neutral. I can't wait to get back out there with it.

i want a supertri dangit! i don't know why, just b/c i like the darker finish i suppose. all you guys with the ST's are making me jealous.

Schweitzer_07: I can attest to the supertri being a high-spin head. I have a fairly decent swing speed, but produce little back spin with the driver. I tested many driver heads on the same shaft and the supertri was one of the heads that produced the highest spin rate for me. Indeed, I got the most carry out of the supertri head. I purchased the regular Supertri, knowing that I would buy another shaft after I tested them with the supertri head. Ended up getting the Miyazaki Black. It was a great shaft for me; brought down the spin rate slightly (perhaps a very slight loss in carry) but the accuracy is better.

Back