TaylorMade RocketBladez - Review Thread

I really like the looks of the wedge, thats about it. Nobody thinks these are clunky looking as hell, and rocketfuel for a shaft name, as they say on ESPN. C,mon man! I,m a Tmag supporter as well. Check my sig. I hope they come out with a playerish looking iron because these look like dogs to me. I also dont like the added shaft length,Thats one reason I cut down my RBZ 3wood, too long to handle.

I had a practice session tonight. Hit only irons and capped it off with getting some numbers from the RocketBladez 7 iron. Hopefully I can add to this whole numbers thing over the course of this review, but it's time consuming, expensive, and it seems I always end up running out of time. Basically just making excuses for not getting numbers on 4 different irons for comparison tonight. I'll keep adding to all this as I can. Numbers tonight will center around the forgiveness of the RocketBladez. My miss is really the one that these were designed for (low on the face), so I was pretty interested to see how they performed.

This is the average of 6 swings using a Callaway Tour I(z) ball. 2 good and 4 shots off-center

First of all, an overall average. This includes the good and the misses.
CarryBall SpeedBack SpinSide SpinLaunchHeight (yards)
152105.85167689L18.6524.8

Next, the good shots. These were shots I knew I hit in the center of the face.
CarryBall SpeedBack SpinSide SpinLaunchHeight
158108.54911159L18.927 (yards)

Last, the misses. My misses are pretty consistent at the moment. Very low and pretty far out on the toe.
CarryBall SpeedBack SpinSide SpinLaunchHeight
149104.55296955L18.523.75

The numbers make a lot of sense looking at them and considering my typical results on mis-hits. My miss usually produces a lower, shorter shot that has more of a hook/draw shot shape than center shots. It remains to be seen exactly how much better my miss is handled with these irons than my other set, but my instincts tell me it's fairly substantial.

With the RBladez, mishits lost 6% of their distance and flew about 12% lower. I'll do my best to get comparable numbers with my other irons next week. I am fairly familiar with my typical 588 numbers and I'll say that I expect them to be lower for both mis-hits and center shots.

Very interesting stuff Hawk. Distance loss seems rather minimal which is quite a good thing.

Not bad at all and I'm nowhere near center with that miss. It's on the grooved part of the face, but not by much.

great data Hawk. It's great to have objective examples to use when evaluating the irons. All of your review are very informative and relateable. I look forward to seeing how these compare with your other iron sets.

Thanks, jank. It was nice to see some correlation to what I was seeing on the course.

Hawkster, those are some very cool numbers to look at buddy. Looking forward to the 588 comparison as I'm thinking the same way you are on how it'll turn out.

Kmac, good stuff brother. Those center mass shots in the pic are a DREAM!

You two have got me all worked up, can't wait to hear more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kmac and Hawk, great feedback guys! Kmac that whole too close to the ball thing almost seems to easy doesn't it? I didn't struggle with the added length of the shafts, I wonder if I was subconsciencely adjusting to the length by standing a little further away. I know I didn't by choking up on the grip at all, I actually paid attention to that.

Hawk, you gotta love those kind of numbers on miss hits bro. Did you have a chance to see the direction of the ball flight? Wonder how far off line your miss was?

We're having great weather right now so I'm going to get out as much as I can over these next few days. I'll get tons of info on these irons.

Hawk those are pretty good numbers dude. Not losing much on the misses is huge and if you ask me sometimes that is as big a deal as how far the sweet ones go. Forgiveness is awesome.

Jman, still no irons yet?

Nice pictures Hawk. I also received a 4-AW set and just loaded them into my bag for a round at a new to me course. Hope they're ready for it. My set came stock stiff shafts with the stock grips.

Just wondering BrothaKmac, is there a reason that you went with the stock shafts instead of say KBS, Project x etc? Is it because you wanted to see how the rocket fuel shafts performed?

Just wondering BrothaKmac, is there a reason that you went with the stock shafts instead of say KBS, Project x etc? Is it because you wanted to see how the rocket fuel shafts performed?

That is what I was sent to test.

Hawk those are pretty good numbers dude. Not losing much on the misses is huge and if you ask me sometimes that is as big a deal as how far the sweet ones go. Forgiveness is awesome.

Jman, still no irons yet?

Soon. Very soon.

Jake, you need to get out in the nice weather and punish some golf balls! Punish them!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is what I was sent to test.

oh I see, sorry for some reason I thought that some testers chose their specs and shafts

Kmac and Hawk, great feedback guys! Kmac that whole too close to the ball thing almost seems to easy doesn't it? I didn't struggle with the added length of the shafts, I wonder if I was subconsciencely adjusting to the length by standing a little further away. I know I didn't by choking up on the grip at all, I actually paid attention to that.

Hawk, you gotta love those kind of numbers on miss hits bro. Did you have a chance to see the direction of the ball flight? Wonder how far off line your miss was?

We're having great weather right now so I'm going to get out as much as I can over these next few days. I'll get tons of info on these irons.

Sort of bothers me I didnt realize it while playing a $130 course, haha. I guess I sort of did but not to the extent I did today. At least its an easy fix.

Kmac good write up. That's a nice cluster you have on the face.

Hawk that's a good amount of distance you lost on the good shots and the misses. Is is just me or are the back spin numbers a little low.

I'm sitting in the dark right now, but I'll get the papers with my numbers out tomorrow. Ball flight was either a push-draw or push, which is what I normally see. The thin shots push more, but they also draw more, if that makes sense. Overall, I felt like accuracy was similar to what I'd normally see. That's how I felt on the course as well.

Great thoughts by the testers so far. Can't wait for more updates.

Kmac good write up. That's a nice cluster you have on the face.

Hawk that's a good amount of distance you lost on the good shots and the misses. Is is just me or are the back spin numbers a little low.

To me, that distance loss looks pretty good considering where my miss ends up on the face. Percentage-wise, it's pretty low.

As for backspin (and launch) - I have a flat swing and I launch low and spin pretty low on full iron shots. It's not abnormal for me. I'll get my 588's up here in the next week for comparison.

Edit to say: Total height still ended up quite good though.

I did spend limited time with the 5 iron as well. Seemed like my percentage of good vs bad was definitely lower than with the 7 iron, which isn't a surprise. Didn't take an average or even record any numbers, but I do remember the carry number on my best shot - 177 yards. May seem small to some, but that's a great number for me. Something I plan on practicing as often as possible. I'd like to have that as a reliable distance.

To me, that distance loss looks pretty good considering where my miss ends up on the face. Percentage-wise, it's pretty low.

As for backspin (and launch) - I have a flat swing and I launch low and spin pretty low on full iron shots. It's not abnormal for me. I'll get my 588's up here in the next week for comparison.

Edit to say: Total height still ended up quite good though.

To the bold your right. Are you having a tough time holding the green from a mid or long iron?
Kmac same question how are these holding the green for you?

To the bold your right. Are you having a tough time holding the green from a mid or long iron?

On semi-reasonable shots - not at all. In fact, I was impressed with how quickly they stopped my first two times out. I have bladed the hell out of some balls and those travel a long way and don't stop, which is to be expected.

I hit a ton of greens the first round with these and they held very nicely. We don't have summer type conditions around here right now so that plays a part but you can tell even in firm/fast conditions holding the green will not be a problem.

Good question. I played pretty short today at only 6100 yards so I didnt hit a ton of long irons into the greens. One that does come to mind, actually two. Par 3 today, 180 over water, I hit the 5. Hit a strange sweeping sort of draw which I dont usually hit with my long irons. This one hit the green and ran off the back a bit. And that shot on 18 from the sand was a 5 too. This one did hold the green but Id expect that from the sand.

The day (literally) that I get a new set of irons I'm craving to try this latest and greatest innovation. They look great, thanks for the reviews

Back