TaylorMade Tour Preferred MC Review Thread

Million dollar question. Can a 17 handicap handle these irons? I consistently shoot low 80s and have broken 80 twice this year.

Handicap doesn't offer an accurate assessment of your game. How's your ball striking? Consistency? I'm above a 17 and I've been able to hit irons in this class when my ball striking shows up...if not I lose more than I gain.

Tap before talk.

Handicap doesn't offer an accurate assessment of your game. How's your ball striking? Consistency? I'm above a 17 and I've been able to hit irons in this class when my ball striking shows up...if not I lose more than I gain.

Tap before talk.

Exactly, the irons could be a high handicapper's strong point cause they may struggle with other aspects like the driver and woods and sand saves etc. . .

The truth is if you like them when you try them and you can get some solid shots with them they get them kheeno! I would certainly get them if I had the funds

I guess the answer is that I'm not sure about my ball striking. My current irons have wear marks in the center of the face. So, I assume that means that I strike the ball well? I tend to have swing breakdowns (like any high handicapper) but they usually lead me to leave the face open a bit. I almost never shank the ball. I work for a sporting goods store and am very lucky to have these irons available at well below retail, which is why I am considering taking the
leap to forged irons.

I guess the answer is that I'm not sure about my ball striking. My current irons have wear marks in the center of the face. So, I assume that means that I strike the ball well? I tend to have swing breakdowns (like any high handicapper) but they usually lead me to leave the face open a bit. I almost never shank the ball. I work for a sporting goods store and am very lucky to have these irons available at well below retail, which is why I am considering taking the
leap to forged irons.

Get them then, you can always "grow into them," I think it's easier to learn to play better with better equipment. That's what I did with my burner Irons and they encouraged me to play more cause I loved them, I have seen a huge difference in my iron play.

I definitely like the idea of these being a new challenge (not that golf isn't always a challenge). I appreciate the input, the next hurdle is deciding which shafts to pair with these. Planning on demoing a few shafts at my local range tomorrow. Hopefully I'll be able to pull the trigger by the end of the week!

I definitely like the idea of these being a new challenge (not that golf isn't always a challenge). I appreciate the input, the next hurdle is deciding which shafts to pair with these. Planning on demoing a few shafts at my local range tomorrow. Hopefully I'll be able to pull the trigger by the end of the week!

That would be awesome I bet the retail store you work at will let you try different combinations and maybe even fit you for free for length,lie etc. . . , just for the record, the project x shafts are nice and so are those KBS tour shafts. Also you never no you might like the stock DG. (at least I think they're DG)

Yeah, those 3 are all possibilities along with the KBS C-Tapers. I'm looking for a lower ball flight.

I just wanted to say thanks for the feedback and especially the amazing reviews. I read through this thread multiple times and it really made me well informed. After hitting them a few times and trying different shafts over the past 2-3 weeks, I finally put my order in! 4-PW with KBS TOUR X-Stiff shafts and golf pride white 2G wraps. I cannot wait to get them in my hands. Thanks again everyone!

I just wanted to say thanks for the feedback and especially the amazing reviews. I read through this thread multiple times and it really made me well informed. After hitting them a few times and trying different shafts over the past 2-3 weeks, I finally put my order in! 4-PW with KBS TOUR X-Stiff shafts and golf pride white 2G wraps. I cannot wait to get them in my hands. Thanks again everyone!

congrats Keehno! Try and throw up some pics when you get them in and give us feedback on your thoughts.

Sounds awesome, I'm jealous hahah

have fun with your new irons!

I think you will be very happy with these.

Well, today I pulled the trigger and TM now has my money and my order. :act-up: A set of TP MC 3-PW with KBS 90 Reg Flex. 1* flat +1/2". Went in thinking stiff flex, and they put me into the Reg flex. Today may not have been the best day to do the fitting, I was not hitting them very well today, but wasn't going to let that stop me. :bananadance: About 2 weeks for delivery.... (starts pacing) (UPDATE: Just got a call from the PGA Tour Superstore, my clubs will be shipped one week from today. YAY!)

Last edited:
I got my Taylormade TP MC irons today, with KBS Tour X shafts and white Golf Pride Tour Wrap 2G grips. They are amazing. I went to the range immediately after opening them. I decided to hit off grass even though it had rained earlier today. I came away with mixed results. I didn't have a problem hitting the ball off a smaller face, but I did have problems hitting the ball thin or fat. Part of the problem was the wet turf but I also think the heavier shaft will take some getting used to. After one range session, I am very happy with these irons. I was able to work the ball a bit and every shot I squared up felt amazing. I wish I could explain it better. Every pure shot with these irons just makes me want to go hit them more. I can't wait to play 18 with these tomorrow morning!

Thanks again to all of the reviewers and forum members for the information and feedback. You guys helped me make a great choice!

I got my Taylormade TP MC irons today, with KBS Tour X shafts and white Golf Pride Tour Wrap 2G grips. They are amazing. I went to the range immediately after opening them. I decided to hit off grass even though it had rained earlier today. I came away with mixed results. I didn't have a problem hitting the ball off a smaller face, but I did have problems hitting the ball thin or fat. Part of the problem was the wet turf but I also think the heavier shaft will take some getting used to. After one range session, I am very happy with these irons. I was able to work the ball a bit and every shot I squared up felt amazing. I wish I could explain it better. Every pure shot with these irons just makes me want to go hit them more. I can't wait to play 18 with these tomorrow morning!

Thanks again to all of the reviewers and forum members for the information and feedback. You guys helped me make a great choice!
Congrats!! I am waiting on mine, they were due to ship today, I will call the PGA SS tomorrow to make sure they are on the way and hopefully I can get the tracking number. :) I am excited to get them soon. I am a little nervous about them, just want to be able to hit them well. :act-up:

Congrats!! I am waiting on mine, they were due to ship today, I will call the PGA SS tomorrow to make sure they are on the way and hopefully I can get the tracking number. :) I am excited to get them soon. I am a little nervous about them, just want to be able to hit them well. :act-up:

Be excited. Don't be nervous. You'll love them.

Be excited. Don't be nervous. You'll love them.
Oh, I am excited!! Right now I am as bad as a kid just days before Christmas, maybe worse, because I know what Santa is bringing me!! I tried the RBZ and R11's also, but these just felt better to me even though they are "for a lower handicap" than I am, but I am excited, much more so and I would probably be piddling on the floor! :act-up:

Last edited:

Just got the call.... My TM irons are IN!! Going now to pick them UP!! YAY!! RANGE DAY!!!!

congrats on the new sticks fellas! Don't forget some nice unboxing pics or videos if you want. Can't wait to hear about your experiences with them.

Played 18 with these bad boys today. Shot an 80 at a par 70 course. Mostly had troubles with the driver, but I have noticedmthat I am about 1/2 to a full club shorter than my previous irons. Still trying to get the distances dialed in (this was my 2nd time hitting these in the last 24 hours). Overall, flush shots are like butter but I hit a few shots pretty fat. The turf was fairly soft today, but I need to get used to the sharp leading edge.

Well, after A BUNCH (4 large buckets)of balls, I love these new clubs. I do have some swing grooving to do, but these new sticks are great so far. Turf interaction is great, so long as I don't try to dig a new Panama Canal when I chunk it. Nice clean trenches though. :act-up: When you get theses pure, the feel and flight is a thing of beauty!! Thanks to everyone for the reviews, I am more than pleased with them. The stock grips-- did not make it to the first sundown. Changed out to a set of Winn oversized grips.

Well, after A BUNCH (4 large buckets)of balls, I love these new clubs. I do have some swing grooving to do, but these new sticks are great so far. Turf interaction is great, so long as I don't try to dig a new Panama Canal when I chunk it. Nice clean trenches though. :act-up: When you get theses pure, the feel and flight is a thing of beauty!! Thanks to everyone for the reviews, I am more than pleased with them. The stock grips-- did not make it to the first sundown. Changed out to a set of Winn oversized grips.

Nice! Glad you like them! Good idea on upgrading the grips. I'm usually a mid size grip fan myself but my golf pride 2g wraps with 4 wraps of tape are pretty close. Give us an update when you get them on the course!

I finally got to hit these for the first time, and they were nice to use, they aren't very forgiving though, I was impressed with how clean they looked at address. I had to admit, even though these are sexy, I prefer the R11's for now they just worked better with me.

Back