TaylorMade Tour Preferred MC Review Thread

Got my first round with these yesterday, and I came away still not sure of my new distances with these. No fault of the clubs, my swing suddenly came apart yesterday like a cheap suit at the beginning of the round, on top of a wind that was blowing steady at about 20MPH with gusts probably in the 35-40 MPH range. We were the only ones on the course, or so it seemed, and we played a number of hole a couple of times. On the 17th, first time I hit an 8 iron into the wind. 131 yards to the center from the elevated tee box. Beautiful launch, and trajectory, a hang time that was measured with a sundial.... fell 20 yards short of the green. Think that at the top of the flight, it was actually over the green, but got blown back. Next trip to the tee box, pulled a 7 iron.... same thing, nice launch, hung up there forever, fell 10 yards short. Earlier I had hit the 8 iron downwind and smashed it 30 yards past the green from about 140. I have lost some distance from my old irons, but the reliable accuracy makes up for it and I am more than ok with that.

Got my first round with these yesterday, and I came away still not sure of my new distances with these. No fault of the clubs, my swing suddenly came apart yesterday like a cheap suit at the beginning of the round, on top of a wind that was blowing steady at about 20MPH with gusts probably in the 35-40 MPH range. We were the only ones on the course, or so it seemed, and we played a number of hole a couple of times. On the 17th, first time I hit an 8 iron into the wind. 131 yards to the center from the elevated tee box. Beautiful launch, and trajectory, a hang time that was measured with a sundial.... fell 20 yards short of the green. Think that at the top of the flight, it was actually over the green, but got blown back. Next trip to the tee box, pulled a 7 iron.... same thing, nice launch, hung up there forever, fell 10 yards short. Earlier I had hit the 8 iron downwind and smashed it 30 yards past the green from about 140. I have lost some distance from my old irons, but the reliable accuracy makes up for it and I am more than ok with that.

I agree about the accuracy. These irons are very consistent for me. I will be interested to see what you think on a calm day.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

(DISCLAIMER: I bought these clubs KNOWING that they are for people that are far better than I at this silly little game we love.) That said, I got out to the range today, while I had my fair share of poor and miss hits, as I started to find the groove, I was striping these clubs towards the end of the session. Still working on getting rid of some fundamental BS in my swing, (like reverse weight shift, works so much better when I properly shift my weight) and these clubs are forcing me to be more precise in my ball striking. Still not sure of distances, but was more than pleased with what I was seeing tonight. Not really worried right now with the distance, just enjoying the shot dispersion, I still need work, but I am less nervous about hitting these sticks. I want to live up to having these clubs. :act-up:

(DISCLAIMER: I bought these clubs KNOWING that they are for people that are far better than I at this silly little game we love.) That said, I got out to the range today, while I had my fair share of poor and miss hits, as I started to find the groove, I was striping these clubs towards the end of the session. Still working on getting rid of some fundamental BS in my swing, (like reverse weight shift, works so much better when I properly shift my weight) and these clubs are forcing me to be more precise in my ball striking. Still not sure of distances, but was more than pleased with what I was seeing tonight. Not really worried right now with the distance, just enjoying the shot dispersion, I still need work, but I am less nervous about hitting these sticks. I want to live up to having these clubs. :act-up:

That''s great I want to get these but I was afraid I'd lose distance and consistency but I'm glad someone like me (not a tour pro) saw some great results with these Irons I guess the extra money may be worth it.

I believe these are second on my shopping list behind the Cleveland 588's. I'm not as big of a fan looks-wise, but that's something that could be worked out :act-up:

These are pretty user friendly irons for what they are. I always really liked em. Just never LOVED em'. Always felt like I was leaving just a little something on the table when I was using them regularly.

Tapping and crashing with the new updated/downgraded Tapatalk.

I believe these are second on my shopping list behind the Cleveland 588's. I'm not as big of a fan looks-wise, but that's something that could be worked out :act-up:

You know- the look really begins to grow on you. From address they are beautiful. What is missing from them, looks wise?

I had hit the other TM offerings (RBZ and R-11s) and these just felt better to swing to me. I am not too concerned with distance right now as I am accuracy. If I get my ball striking where I want it, then the distance will come because I will be hitting the ball correctly. I am actually getting to the point with these that I am starting to be able to work the ball, which is something I could NEVER do with my old clubs. I am working on my swing to hopefully get me to the point that I deserve to use them. When you get these pure, there is nothing like it. Turf interaction (as has been mentioned) is like a HOT knife through warm butter! When I have my fat shots, those are punished! I could be contracted on the Panama dig. They are teaching me proper weight transfer and to check for it at the top of the backswing. Are they going to make me a single digit HC? Not in the foreseeable future! A LOT of other things need to improve too.

these are still on my list and they are running against the RBZ irons and R11 irons.

I've gamed these for a few rounds and have been quite happy with the results. They are certainly more user-friendly than one might expect from something with the words "forged" and "muscle" in the name but I've found them to be decently forgiving. I've noticed about a half-club loss of distance over my AP1s but I like the lower, more penetrating ball flight that I'm able to get out of these. I also find that I'm more able to work the ball vis-a-vis the AP1s, though I still can't truly work the ball :D . Nonetheless I'd certainly recommend them to someone who's in the market for a set of irons that are a step "up" from SGI/GI but not looking for blades.

Have you gotten another few rounds in with the irons?
How are you handling the loss of distance that you are seeing?

these are still on my list and they are running against the RBZ irons and R11 irons.

How's that running list going?

I've gamed these for a few rounds and have been quite happy with the results. They are certainly more user-friendly than one might expect from something with the words "forged" and "muscle" in the name but I've found them to be decently forgiving. I've noticed about a half-club loss of distance over my AP1s but I like the lower, more penetrating ball flight that I'm able to get out of these. I also find that I'm more able to work the ball vis-a-vis the AP1s, though I still can't truly work the ball :D . Nonetheless I'd certainly recommend them to someone who's in the market for a set of irons that are a step "up" from SGI/GI but not looking for blades.

Are you sacrificing "forgiveness" for that workability, or do you think they are independent of each other?

The better I'm getting at golf, the more I love these irons. That's all...

I have both the MC's and the RBZ's and love them both! I haven't used my MC's for the last 5 months due to the RBZ testing but will give them another look at the end of the summer. I'm excited to play the MC's again cause I really liked them before the RBZ's.

The better I'm getting at golf, the more I love these irons. That's all...

I remember days when I had a good swing going, I absolutely loved these.

My Bridgestone J40 irons should be here any day now and I have mixed emotions. I love the MC irons, but the J40s are just so sweet.

My Bridgestone J40 irons should be here any day now and I have mixed emotions. I love the MC irons, but the J40s are just so sweet.

I know how much you love these... but I am looking forward to seeing a comparison between these and the bridgestones when you come up in a couple weeks.

Man- that puts you in a tough tough position!

I know how much you love these... but I am looking forward to seeing a comparison between these and the bridgestones when you come up in a couple weeks.

Man- that puts you in a tough tough position!

haha. I can't wait to see the comparison myself. I can tell you right now that I like the looks of the J40 irons better and ddec said that they are more forgiving which is cool too.

I have gotten more range time and a couple of rounds with these irons, distance is coming back. I was striping the 8i out to about 145 today, with range balls, I never really trust these distances. Range balls are always the cheapest balls that they can find, and always suspect IMO. That may be short for some, but for me that's about as good as I have ever gotten. I have been spending a good amount of time working with each and every club and my ball striking is getting better all the time. When getting the sweet spot, these clubs launch the ball like a rocket. Absolutely loving these sticks! Thinking about ordering the 2 iron even.

I have gotten more range time and a couple of rounds with these irons, distance is coming back. I was striping the 8i out to about 145 today, with range balls, I never really trust these distances. Range balls are always the cheapest balls that they can find, and always suspect IMO. That may be short for some, but for me that's about as good as I have ever gotten. I have been spending a good amount of time working with each and every club and my ball striking is getting better all the time. When getting the sweet spot, these clubs launch the ball like a rocket. Absolutely loving these sticks! Thinking about ordering the 2 iron even.

Very nice!

It took me a little bit to regain my distance after switching to these too. I was able to add a little more lag to my swing (out of necessity, and good lessons) and I am on par with my distances before the switch. Playing better golf now than ever, and making much better contact then I have with my irons before. Now it's my driver that has deserted me. Such is golf.

If I didn't love my Mashie so much I would consider adding the 4i back into my set... but right now the Mashie is staying put.

Let me know how that 2i works out. You are a brave man!

Any updates to this thread? Have my first round with some MC's this weekend.

Any updates to this thread? Have my first round with some MC's this weekend.

I have been playing these all summer and I love them. My previous irons were Taylormade RAC OS which were an oversized game improvement club, so it took 3-4 range sessions to get used to the MC's. But, it was definitely worth the switch.

The feedback on every shot is amazing. The combination of the forged head and shallow cavity really let you know if you hit it pure or not. It is a huge difference from my previous irons, which just felt "dead" no matter if you were off center or on the sweet spot.

I feel that I have become a better, more focused ball striker with these irons. Combined with a proper fitted shaft to my swing, I have hit 50% more GIR this summer.

I could not be happier with my purchase.

I have been playing these all summer and I love them. My previous irons were Taylormade RAC OS which were an oversized game improvement club, so it took 3-4 range sessions to get used to the MC's. But, it was definitely worth the switch.

The feedback on every shot is amazing. The combination of the forged head and shallow cavity really let you know if you hit it pure or not. It is a huge difference from my previous irons, which just felt "dead" no matter if you were off center or on the sweet spot.

I feel that I have become a better, more focused ball striker with these irons. Combined with a proper fitted shaft to my swing, I have hit 50% more GIR this summer.

I could not be happier with my purchase.
I did a TaylorMade fitting while I was in Vegas. Spent an hour hitting TM irons and I saw the MC (S300) just being the most accurate and consistent. Coming from RBZ irons these are going to be 1.5 club shorter but that does not matter when these irons are so much more consistent. My last 6 shots were within a half a yard from each other! For me, that is very good. The RBZ's just were all over the place. The R11's were very good, but I was still more consistent with the MC's. It was a big eye opener learning that I needed 2 deg. upright also. It is going to be awesome playing with irons that are fitted. What an idiot I have been for 20 years thinking I knew what I needed.

Still loving mine, making me become a better ball striker and absolutely loving it. So easy to know when I nail the sweet spot, even when hitting into the net in the back yard. (no visual flight feedback from the net, of course) Long irons down to PW still making me smile 80% of the time; the other 20%? Well lets just say that its not the irons fault! Rebuilding a swing is a B*TCH, but its the price to be paid when I have NEVER had a consistent swing in 15 years of playing this game.

Played my first round today with the MC's. Shot 75 with these sweet irons. Man, I could work to ball left to right and right to left so much easier with these. Almost had a hole in one, stuck it real close, and then a coyote walked up and stole my ball! What's the ruling on that....It was pretty funny! Anyway, these iron are just as I thought they would be - sweet feeling and very accurate and consistent. I haven't shot that low in months, like six months or so. Great set of irons. Feels good to be fitted and playing with a set you have confidence in.

I went to Carl's Golfland this morning to get fitted for a set of MB irons and combo them with MC 4 & 5 irons. As soon as I hit the MC 4 iron I wanted the entire MC set 4-PW. I loved how smooth they felt and how straight they flew. I could hit them high and low with ease. I traded in my Nike VR Split Cavity irons for these babies and I'm so glad! I took them straight to the course for a rain shortened 9 holes and shot 32 (-2). Now that score may not be spectacular as I could shoot that with my Nike irons. The difference was how much easier it was. Far less scrambling. I hit 8 greens in regulation but was often out of birdie range because I was always one club too strong. I'm getting 5-10 yards extra carry over the Nike's. I'll dial everything in on the range tonight and can't wait to game them for 18 tomorrow. I wasn't very impressed with the look of the MC's pictured on websites, but seeing them live is a different story. I love the way they look, especially the gray weight as opposed to the red weight on R11 irons. Right now my favorite playability aspect of the MC's is how accurate they are off the tee on par 3's. And I can't overstate how smooth these irons feel and how easy it is to control trajectory.

Back