The 60 and over Thread

I ordered new irons recently and one of the things that helped make the decision is that Srixon said they could build the clubs with a "normal" swing weight. I contacted other manufacturers and they really couldn't get it down that much. My current irons are at E3 (pro golfers like McIlroy and DJ come in at D5). The new irons were delivered yesterday and the swing weight is D2. I took them for a spin at our simulator today. I picked up some yardage, which was a real surprise. I then hit my old 7-iron and it felt like swinging a sledge hammer. For example, my old 7-iron carried around 135ish, I carried the Srixon 6-iron (same loft as my old 7-iron) over 150 yards a couple of time.

Here is what I purchased:

ZX4: 6-iron, 1º weak
ZX5: 7,8-irons, standard loft
ZX7: 9-iron, PW, AW 1º strong

KBS Max 55 shaft
Enjoy your new sticks @Sean That’s such a great setup and it’s going to look great in your bag.
I love KBS shafts, I have the 60 in my E722 irons and went with Recoil 460 ESX which are very similar to the KBS in my DCBs

Last edited:
I am starting to suffer from FOMO. I haven't purchased any equipment (other than shoes and gloves) in over a year. ;)

Lee Trevino claims he never had a wedge higher lofted than 56°. 🤷‍♂️
I can’t hit a wedge (or anything else) like Lee Trevino did. 😂
I’d be lost down here with all the hard pan and hard packed bunkers if I didn’t have my 58-6.
Up north I’d use a hi bounce wedge out of the sand and rough but down here you need one standard bounce wedge and one low.

Haven't been golfing much lately. Tweaked the back a few weeks ago. I already have issues with it. So I thought I'd just give it a little rest for few couple weeks.

Been feeling better lately using a combo of Voltaren and Lidocaine. Went out and played 9 holes today. They paired me with a couple guys in their 40's. So I played the white tees with them instead of the gold.

Did surprisingly well for not hitting long. Shot a solid 43. Only missed one fairway hitting every drive around 200 yards. The 3/4 swing I've been using I feel like I can hit just about every fairway. Just not that far. 4 holes on the front I can't reach in reach in regulation with the easier swing. Only one green in regulation. But the wedge was really good. 8 par putts and a birdie putt. 7 bogeys and two pars.

The hole I made par in one putt my 3rd shot was about 75 yards out. Hit the green and sunk a 10 foot putt on the last hole. About as steady a round as I've ever played. I think I'll be using the easier swing from now on. Doesn't wear down the body as much.

The younger guys were pretty good. One guy shot a 38. The other a 41. They did compliment me on how easy I made the game look for a senior. I'll take it.

The 3/4 swing I've been using I feel like I can hit just about every fairway. Just not that far.
200 yards with a 3/4 swing driver is darn good! My swing already looks to be 3/4. Trouble is the shoulders don't want to rotate beyond a certain point.

Seeing how I hit my 58* Vokey only 65 yards at the most, I see no need for a 64* wedge. I’d get 45 yards max.

Played 18 again today. Putting is starting to come around since I switched to a more pendulum style of putting. Direction is really good, but relearning distance control has been challenging. Today’s round, 7 fairways, 9 GIR, 29 putts 41-36 77. Made an 8’ putt for par on 11 today. The stats say it’s still the hardest hole on the course with a 5.12 average score, 1.12 strokes over par. Easiest hole is the par 5 16th at 5.14. Average round at the club is 81.93. I’d like to lower that a bit and get the average score on 16 under par.

Haven't been golfing much lately. Tweaked the back a few weeks ago. I already have issues with it. So I thought I'd just give it a little rest for few couple weeks.

Been feeling better lately using a combo of Voltaren and Lidocaine. Went out and played 9 holes today. They paired me with a couple guys in their 40's. So I played the white tees with them instead of the gold.

Did surprisingly well for not hitting long. Shot a solid 43. Only missed one fairway hitting every drive around 200 yards. The 3/4 swing I've been using I feel like I can hit just about every fairway. Just not that far. 4 holes on the front I can't reach in reach in regulation with the easier swing. Only one green in regulation. But the wedge was really good. 8 par putts and a birdie putt. 7 bogeys and two pars.

The hole I made par in one putt my 3rd shot was about 75 yards out. Hit the green and sunk a 10 foot putt on the last hole. About as steady a round as I've ever played. I think I'll be using the easier swing from now on. Doesn't wear down the body as much.

The younger guys were pretty good. One guy shot a 38. The other a 41. They did compliment me on how easy I made the game look for a senior. I'll take it.
Is it a 3/4 swing or have you just eliminated “runoff” at the top?
A few years ago, I saw video of my swing for the first time. Before my fitter could say a word, I told him “OMG It doesn’t feel like I’m going back that far, and I can’t believe where the club ends up when I do.”
”Shortening“ my backswing was probably the single biggest thing I’ve ever done to improve my golf game. I’m drifting up now to 13ish but back then I went from a 17 to an 11 from the Whites in about 18 months.
I’m playing the same courses and scoring the same (or slightly lower) now, but I’m playing a tee up, and my handicap is rising because of that.

Hit my kids 9* Paradym with a stiff Tensi AV Blue in it today. God that thing is light, makes my G430 feel like a war club. Despite having a grip 2 sizes smaller than I like, and 1.5* less loft than my Ping, I hit it 274, right down the pipe... (GPS). I quickly handed it back to him and told him it must be the devils work, and keep it away from me...........

Going to Carls tomorrow. ;)

Last edited:
Is it a 3/4 swing or have you just eliminated “runoff” at the top?
A few years ago, I saw video of my swing for the first time. Before my fitter could say a word, I told him “OMG It doesn’t feel like I’m going back that far, and I can’t believe where the club ends up when I do.”
”Shortening“ my backswing was probably the single biggest thing I’ve ever done to improve my golf game. I’m drifting up now to 13ish but back then I went from a 17 to an 11 from the Whites in about 18 months.
I’m playing the same courses and scoring the same (or slightly lower) now, but I’m playing a tee up, and my handicap is rising because of that.
I feel like you should take the club back as far as you can without your swing breaking down while keeping as much width on your backswing as possible. I’m getting the club back a lot farther than I did a year and a half ago when I started playing again. Now I’m starting to see some real gains in distance too. I’m still probably 30* short of parallel and I may never get back there again.

I ordered new irons recently and one of the things that helped make the decision is that Srixon said they could build the clubs with a "normal" swing weight. I contacted other manufacturers and they really couldn't get it down that much. My current irons are at E3 (pro golfers like McIlroy and DJ come in at D5). The new irons were delivered yesterday and the swing weight is D2. I took them for a spin at our simulator today. I picked up some yardage, which was a real surprise. I then hit my old 7-iron and it felt like swinging a sledge hammer. For example, my old 7-iron carried around 135ish, I carried the Srixon 6-iron (same loft as my old 7-iron) over 150 yards a couple of time.

Here is what I purchased:

ZX4: 6-iron, 1º weak
ZX5: 7,8-irons, standard loft
ZX7: 9-iron, PW, AW 1º strong

KBS Max 55 shaft
That set up looks great, enjoy them.

Hit my kids 9* Paradym with a stiff Tensi AV Blue in it today. God that thing is light, makes my G430 feel like a war club. Despite having a grip 2 sizes smaller than I like, and 1.5* less loft than my Ping, I hit it 274, right down the pipe... (GPS). I quickly handed it back to him and told him it must be the devils work, and keep it away from me...........

It’s a great club. I had one on order for about 24 hours, but backed out. The G425 driver is my favorite club in the bag now that I‘ve stopped talking to my putter after yesterday’s round.
Word to the wise… stick to only the Paradym. If you hit the new Smoke, you’ll spend an extra $150.

Last edited:
I feel like you should take the club back as far as you can without your swing breaking down while keeping as much width on your backswing as possible. I’m getting the club back a lot farther than I did a year and a half ago when I started playing again. Now I’m starting to see some real gains in distance too. I’m still probably 30* short of parallel and I may never get back there again.
When I say “shortened my backswing” I didn mean abbreviating it. I‘m in a pretty powerful position right now, but there was a time when you wouldn’t have believed where I was at the top. That fitter marveled at how I I actually looked really good through the ball… albeit the face was open at impact costing me about a club in distance.

The length of my backswing has everything to do with how my back feels. But even good back days video shows its shorter than I used to be even 10 years ago.
In the 70's and 80's I was the classic John Daly before Daly was a thing. Take it way back, so far people thought you were a jellyfish.
One very interesting thing I have been dissecting on newer video is that even on the same day my swing length will change depending upon the shot shape I am trying to hit.
If I am trying to hit a big fade, my swing gets longer as my right elbow gets a little loose and I make a little OTT move that will really put some swipe spin on the ball.
Conversely, a big draw will tend to be flatter and shorter as I dig at it from the inside.
And without video I would have sworn anyone that said that to me was full of it...
Its not that the differences are huge, but they are there. Consistently. And here I thought it was all hands and club face positions at address. For a baby, less than 7 yard turning of the ball, there is hardly a perceptible difference, but as the ball is turning harder, there are real path and length changes.

What is that they say, there is a difference between feel and real? I am a believer.

Right there with ya. Torn up Back has restricted my Backswing for last 2 years. Tried stretching it with Bands at Gym the other Week and I was in pain for days. I've modified my rotation and delivery so I'm up to 245 without roll. Hope it's not the new Norm for us.
At least you can still play. (y)

Right there with ya. Torn up Back has restricted my Backswing for last 2 years. Tried stretching it with Bands at Gym the other Week and I was in pain for days. I've modified my rotation and delivery so I'm up to 245 without roll. Hope it's not the new Norm for us.
At least you can still play. (y)
I used to play a lot with a PGA teaching pro who's backswing was so short that the shaft never got much beyond vertical. He was John Rahm before John Rahm was. All of 5'7", maybe 145# soaking wet, he could hit it very long and straight. Who is it who said "You dont hit the ball with the backswing"?

I used to play a lot with a PGA teaching pro who's backswing was so short that the shaft never got much beyond vertical. He was John Rahm before John Rahm was. All of 5'7", maybe 145# soaking wet, he could hit it very long and straight. Who is it who said "You dont hit the ball with the backswing"?
Doug sanders was one that also had a very short back swing. It was said he could swing in a phone booth. Only us oldsters probably can understand that reference. :)

Yep, have looked at several Players where their leading Arm never goes past parallel to the ground. It did help that many years ago I shortened my Backswing to be more consistent and Future Proof for old age. Never thought I would have to shorten this much.

Phone just rang. Buddy who is superintendent at a really nice local CC (which will go unnamed) asked me if I wanted to come out this afternoon and play a round just to "make sure everything is all set" for the season opener tomorrow. I agreed. It's a sacrifice, but I will somehow manage....... ;)
Carls and the Paradym can wait.

Sold! :LOL:

(The one negative I've heard about the G425/430/10K is that they are very heavy. When I played 9 holes with a 425 demo a few years back I was hitting it straight, but losing distance because I just couldn't swing it fast enough. The same thing happened when I compared one to my current Callaway Rogue Max on the Golf Galaxy simulator. My swing speed with the G425 was several MPH slower than with the Rogue)

I wish I could hit anything 274. Longest drive this year was 244 downhill, downwind. Looks like I’ll probably up my average drive from 215 to 220 when it gets warmer, firmer and faster. I do know the TSR2 was a big improvement over the Maltby KE4 TC Max. Sounds like your trip to Carl’s could be expensive.

Doug sanders was one that also had a very short back swing. It was said he could swing in a phone booth. Only us oldsters probably can understand that reference. :)

Yep, have looked at several Players where their leading Arm never goes past parallel to the ground. It did help that many years ago I shortened my Backswing to be more consistent and Future Proof for old age. Never thought I would have to shorten this much.
There was a lefty at the old muni who had a short backswing and he killed it. Won the club championship, icy championship several times. Also won the state lefties championship a couple times to. Rahm just has tremendous acceleration thru the ball. Probably uses a XXX shaft.

I’ve worked on flexibility to get more length in my backswing, a combination of yoga and stretching with some light weight work. I was doing speed training with Super Speed until I hurt my thumb. I may resume that soon. I’ve looked into joining a gym to be able to do more strength training. Maybe this winter. I’m not looking to hurt myself, just slow down Father Time. I think leg strength, hand and forearm strength combined with hip and back flexibility are the things that need to be maintained.

Had a decent driver practice last night. Had the Matlby KE4 Tour TC on a 65g shaft, the Maltby KE4 Max with a 60g shaft, and the Callaway AI Smoke driver with a 55g shaft. The KE4 max performed the best followed closely by the Smoke, with the Tour TC bringing up the rear.

Was trying a couple different feels last night after a dismal practice the night before. The SS on all 3 clubs were up 5-10 mph last night as a result of keeping my wrists loose and focusing on a slightly different swing plane thought.

Wow, a 5 to 10 MPH increase will give you a better drive. Good luck and keep swinging.

Wow, a 5 to 10 MPH increase will give you a better drive. Good luck and keep swinging.
It was only that much faster because of how crappy I was swinging the clubs the night before. Was trying to generate speed with my hands/wrists Tuesday night and that was just slowing me down.

My launch monitor is somewhat inaccurate but I assume it's relative from day to day. My speed seems to be down from last year so unless I develop a better swing, my distances should be down a little this year. I just have to accept that and modify my strategy.

Back