The Car Shopping Thread

I can't wait to hear this one... We should talk -- Although Laura won't be buying a truck.

I was just gonna make fun of your other car.

Will she sell me the Lexus for mindy?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was just gonna make fun of your other car.

Will she sell me the Lexus for mindy?

haha I love my GLI. That thing is a ton of fun.

I don't have a clue how the deal would work out, but it has to do with the dealership being a family friend and tax this and certified that blah blah blah haha

haha I love my GLI. That thing is a ton of fun.

I don't have a clue how the deal would work out, but it has to do with the dealership being a family friend and tax this and certified that blah blah blah haha

That sounds confusing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Always been a Ford P/U guy... A few months ago, after golf, I went car shopping with a friend. I wasn't really looking to get a new car. We both had the GM X number from golfing buddies... He looked at, and bought, a Buick Enclave... I liked the Enclave so much that I went back the next day, traded in my P/U (they gave me a pretty good price, I was shocked) and I bought the same Buick Enclave.. Great SUV... Talk about an impulse buy....

We are very close to ordering a Tesla Model S. My wife commutes to San Jose for work about 40 times a year and the traffic is killing her. With an electric vehicle she could ride in the car pool lane and it would cut an hour or more of drive time on each 150 mile leg of her commute. One day last month it took her over 4 hours to get home on a trip that only takes 2:15 with no traffic. Her work has charging stations in every parking lot and so do the hotels so charging the car would be free and convenient when she is at work. When she flies for work all the electric car charging stations are right next to the handicapped spaces and are never full so that would be a small benefit as well. The new dual motor Tesla has a range of 295 miles which would be plenty for our purposes. We also could add 4 panels to the solar system on our house to handle all of our charging needs so the fuel savings would be $3,500 - $4,000 each year. We would have to factor in battery replacement costs but I figure long term a Tesla is less expensive to drive than the other luxury sedans it competes with. She is reimbursed for mileage about $600 each month so that would pay for a big chunk of the costs to own the car. See how easy it is to justify all this!

We are very close to ordering a Tesla Model S. My wife commutes to San Jose for work about 40 times a year and the traffic is killing her. With an electric vehicle she could ride in the car pool lane and it would cut an hour or more of drive time on each 150 mile leg of her commute. One day last month it took her over 4 hours to get home on a trip that only takes 2:15 with no traffic. Her work has charging stations in every parking lot and so do the hotels so charging the car would be free and convenient when she is at work. When she flies for work all the electric car charging stations are right next to the handicapped spaces and are never full so that would be a small benefit as well. The new dual motor Tesla has a range of 295 miles which would be plenty for our purposes. We also could add 4 panels to the solar system on our house to handle all of our charging needs so the fuel savings would be $3,500 - $4,000 each year. We would have to factor in battery replacement costs but I figure long term a Tesla is less expensive to drive than the other luxury sedans it competes with. She is reimbursed for mileage about $600 each month so that would pay for a big chunk of the costs to own the car. See how easy it is to justify all this!

I absolutely love this car every time I see it. I only have about a 2 mile commute to work and don't do a lot of long trips anymore so this would be perfect. Only the money factor. First time I saw one in Chicago I was sold. Lucky you!

Not a Tesla, but I went to a house yesterday where they had a Plug in Fusion. She absolutely loved it, sounds like it would fit your needs very well.

Not a Tesla, but I went to a house yesterday where they had a Plug in Fusion. She absolutely loved it, sounds like it would fit your needs very well.

The Fusion Energi is a great car(my wife's brother just bought one) but only runs 19 miles on battery power before it's gas engine kicks in. Long term ownership costs for the Tesla are only about $1500 per year more than the Fusion. Well worth it for it's higher performance and larger size, IMO.

That commute is only once per week though, easy stuff! However, It sounds like North Bay to Mtn View or something equally as horrifying so there is that.

I can understand though since I've had every variety of hellish daily Bay Area commutes over the last 20 years. SF to Mtn View, then after a few years move down to the south bay to be closer and then have to switch jobs and drive back to either Oakland or SF, just never could win. I averaged 80-100 miles per day usually and going back and forth those last few years on 880 was a nightmare bad enough that it made me relocate to Sacramento and take a train once a week to Oakland once I could telecommute 3 days per week.

She commutes 150 miles each way??? Jesus! I looked at possibly trying to get work in San Jose. I'm currently down in Monterey. I didn't consider the option that long because of the commute. The 80 miles each way doesn't sound so bad all of a sudden LOL.
The Model S cars are great looking machines, but I'd rather walk than have to drive an electric vehicle. That being said, reading your post, it seems a no brainer for your wife, and if you are going electric, it's tough to think what would be better than the Tesla.

She commutes 150 miles each way??? Jesus! I looked at possibly trying to get work in San Jose. I'm currently down in Monterey. I didn't consider the option that long because of the commute. The 80 miles each way doesn't sound so bad all of a sudden LOL.
The Model S cars are great looking machines, but I'd rather walk than have to drive an electric vehicle. That being said, reading your post, it seems a no brainer for your wife, and if you are going electric, it's tough to think what would be better than the Tesla.

I'll take a P85D any day of the week.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I got to see the Tesla Model X today and loved it. Also got to drive the new M3 and realized how poor I was.

Those Tesla's are absolutely sweet looking cars and their warranties and customer care is top notch. A friend of ours has one and the couple issues he's had have been handled fantastically. I see a couple running around our area and I drool everytime I see them.

The way their charging stations are popping up all over the place at hotels and Meijer(grocery store) is really really cool.

I got to see the Tesla Model X today and loved it. Also got to drive the new M3 and realized how poor I was.
I'm looking forward to the new model 3

QUOTE=Mark_UK;3488515]She commutes 150 miles each way??? Jesus! I looked at possibly trying to get work in San Jose. I'm currently down in Monterey. I didn't consider the option that long because of the commute. The 80 miles each way doesn't sound so bad all of a sudden LOL.
The Model S cars are great looking machines, but I'd rather walk than have to drive an electric vehicle. That being said, reading your post, it seems a no brainer for your wife, and if you are going electric, it's tough to think what would be better than the Tesla.[/QUOTE]

We live 30 miles east of Sacramento and she drives to Cupertino almost every week, She usually drives down on a Monday and returns 2 days later but sometimes she will drive down and back the same day. The traffic on 680 and 80 has worsened the last year or so as the economy has picked up. The carpool lanes move pretty good so an electric seems like a no brainer and the Tesla is the only one with enough range. I drove one recently and was super impressed with the comfort, acceleration, and handling. Now that they have AWD available, we'll even be able to take it to Tahoe for ski weekends.

Last edited:

Oh? Where did you see the Model X? There's a Tesla showroom across the street from my office; but I haven't been there in a few months. I didn't think they were out yet, and in Newport Beach I would've expected to see one by now. I see the Model S several times per day, aside from the ones in our parking lot. Fantastic car. I would get one in a second.

Oh? Where did you see the Model X? There's a Tesla showroom across the street from my office; but I haven't been there in a few months. I didn't think they were out yet, and in Newport Beach I would've expected to see one by now. I see the Model S several times per day, aside from the ones in our parking lot. Fantastic car. I would get one in a second.

They had one at the Panasonic booth at CES.

We pulled the trigger and ordered a Tesla Mosel S. We went with the metallic white with the panoramic roof and the dual motors(AWD)so I can take it skiing on stormy days. They are telling us deivery in late March. My wife is excited to shorten her commute and I'm excited for its performance and handling. Next I need to install the 80 amp outlet in my garage so I can charge it quickly.

We pulled the trigger and ordered a Tesla Mosel S. We went with the metallic white with the panoramic roof and the dual motors(AWD)so I can take it skiing on stormy days. They are telling us deivery in late March. My wife is excited to shorten her commute and I'm excited for its performance and handling. Next I need to install the 80 amp outlet in my garage so I can charge it quickly.
I love the looks of those cars just can't justify the price...they do a good job of trying to sell it to you in the showrooms too

I love the looks of those cars just can't justify the price...they do a good job of trying to sell it to you in the showrooms too

The car pretty much sells itself... :D

Are Teslas available for purchase or are they lease only like the first generation hybrids?

Are Teslas available for purchase or are they lease only like the first generation hybrids?
They are available for purchase. I am not sure if they are available for lease at all. Not that I've heard.

Looking at a Ford Escape 4x4 2.0L SE. Looked at a few of the others in the segment, Nissan Rogue was the next choice but the CVT has always put me off anything with one of those transmissions.

If anyone has a 2013/15 Escape can you get 3 sets of clubs in the back with out the seats down as easy as I think you can or is it a bit of a fuss on?

Looking at a Ford Escape 4x4 2.0L SE. Looked at a few of the others in the segment, Nissan Rogue was the next choice but the CVT has always put me off anything with one of those transmissions.

If anyone has a 2013/15 Escape can you get 3 sets of clubs in the back with out the seats down as easy as I think you can or is it a bit of a fuss on?
I have a 2013 escape and unless you do some crazy packing you will not be able to get 3 sets of clubs in there without folding the seat down

Those Tesla's are absolutely sweet looking cars and their warranties and customer care is top notch. A friend of ours has one and the couple issues he's had have been handled fantastically. I see a couple running around our area and I drool everytime I see them.

The way their charging stations are popping up all over the place at hotels and Meijer(grocery store) is really really cool.

I've driven an 85 several times over the past month and I'm close to pulling the trigger on an order. It would be a great car to commute into town with while still having something stylish and flashy.

Last edited:
Back