The Official 2011 NFL Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
While Im no Gerrard fan this moves is odd at first glance. But if you look at his cap number things start to get a little more clear, which I think was 8 or 9 million. I just dont understand while they waited this long. And its a d*ck move by the front office too leaving Gerrard little to no time to learn with a new team. The last 1000 yard WR in Jacksonville? Jimmy Smith. Ouch. No wonder he never threw down field. Or was it his lack of ability making all these WR's look bad? What a mess.

While Im no Gerrard fan this moves is odd at first glance. But if you look at his cap number things start to get a little more clear, which I think was 8 or 9 million. I just dont understand while they waited this long. And its a d*ck move by the front office too leaving Gerrard little to no time to learn with a new team. The last 1000 yard WR in Jacksonville? Jimmy Smith. Ouch. No wonder he never threw down field. Or was it his lack of ability making all these WR's look bad? What a mess.

I totally agree. Releasing him the week football kicks off is a dh move

MattyCaulk Aka Hawk hunter

I cannot disagree more. Why release a QB that would most likely sign with your biggest division rival and let them have a starter for the 1st week outside of Kerry Collins? It makes all the sense in the world. Its no different than trading up to draft a guy that you know another team wants. This is the first really good business decision they have made in a long time. There is little doubt where he would have signed had they done this 3 weeks ago.

But lets say Indy did not want him. What if they waited for the entire pre-season to see if Gabbert could really be the guy and then make the move. This happens every single year at 53 man time. Veterans get cut right before the season starts. Do you feel as bad for guys like Zac Robinson in Detroit? Ahmad Black in Tampa? Or just the guys that already had millions in their pocket? Nobody ever says a word about the fringe guys that get cut the week before the seasons starts and they are the ones that live year to year.

This was a great move for the franchise and whether or not it works for them (at QB) does not matter. It was about not giving your opponent an easy road. There are over 200 guys sometimes that get cut at the same time (1st few days of September) and nobody ever says a word.

Never thought of it that way. Those are some good points. He will more then likely get picked up. Maybe he can go to Seattle lol

I cannot disagree more. Why release a QB that would most likely sign with your biggest division rival and let them have a starter for the 1st week outside of Kerry Collins? It makes all the sense in the world. Its no different than trading up to draft a guy that you know another team wants. This is the first really good business decision they have made in a long time. There is little doubt where he would have signed had they done this 3 weeks ago.

But lets say Indy did not want him. What if they waited for the entire pre-season to see if Gabbert could really be the guy and then make the move. This happens every single year at 53 man time. Veterans get cut right before the season starts. Do you feel as bad for guys like Zac Robinson in Detroit? Ahmad Black in Tampa? Or just the guys that already had millions in their pocket? Nobody ever says a word about the fringe guys that get cut the week before the seasons starts and they are the ones that live year to year.

This was a great move for the franchise and whether or not it works for them (at QB) does not matter. It was about not giving your opponent an easy road. There are over 200 guys sometimes that get cut at the same time (1st few days of September) and nobody ever says a word.

JB, all of the stuff that you said makes a lot of sense. But here's my question: the cutdown to 53 players was on Saturday, so what changed in that building between keeping him on Saturday and cutting him on Tuesday? Did they really just wait 3 more days to keep him away from Indy? They already knew that Collins was signed at that point by the Colts, I'm not sure Garrard would have started over Collins even if he went to the Colts on this past Sunday.

Also, you have to wonder about an organization that introduces a guy to the city's chamber of commerce as the team's starting QB and then brings him back to the facility to cut him 2 hours later.

JB, all of the stuff that you said makes a lot of sense. But here's my question: the cutdown to 53 players was on Saturday, so what changed in that building between keeping him on Saturday and cutting him on Tuesday? Did they really just wait 3 more days to keep him away from Indy? They already knew that Collins was signed at that point by the Colts, I'm not sure Garrard would have started over Collins even if he went to the Colts on this past Sunday.

Also, you have to wonder about an organization that introduces a guy to the city's chamber of commerce as the team's starting QB and then brings him back to the facility to cut him 2 hours later.

I do think every day matters when it comes to learning a new teams playbook. Especially with the QB question marks in their own conference and its not just Indy. Every single year we have hundreds of guys cut at the same time and nobody says a word. A QB gets cut (and rightfully most experts say) and the team is doing the wrong thing.

Had this been the Cowboys, and the Redskins needed a starting QB, I am not sure you would hear the same thing. Just my opinion of course. Amol, would you have cried foul, if on Tuesday, the Dolphins released Chad Henne?

On ESPN they just said garrads agent said 5 teams have already called. I think it is being made a big deal by the media. Id feel bad for any guy that had a chance at starting but got cut the week the season starts. But hearing what his agent said I don't really feel bad anymore lol

who is Gerrard?

Garrard has never been an accurate downfeild passer. He's best at short and intermediate routes, and also best when the receiver sits down facing him. He's never been one to put the ball on a spot to meet the receiver on the move very well, and that is what the Jags now have at receiver - smaller, quicker guys who are best on the move. He's never been better than a slightly above average QB (overall), but he's never been terrible, either. If the Jags defense had been better than 28th-32nd the last few years the record would have been much better and Garrard would have taken them to the playoffs and won a division the last couple of seasons. Then what? Is Garrard as a 10-6 QB different than Garrard at 8-8 because the defense choked away a few games late in the 4th quarter after the offense had given them a big lead?

Either way, I'm not opposed to the move. Garrard was never the long term answer. But to have him take all the first team reps in the preseason games, give none to McCown, etc certainly seems like a waste. McCown hasn't played a meaningful snap as a starter in years. His one stint of action last year was late in an early game in San Diego in a blowout and he led one drive against SD backups before tearing his ACL.

I mostly just wonder why they wouldn't go with Gabbert now. Let the rookie learn like Bradford last year. I can't imagine McCown leading them to a super bowl, so why not go ahead and get on with the rookie? (Aside from not wanting him to get beaten up behind an injury riddled offensive line that is shaky in pass protection...)

who is Gerrard?

He is the split personality of Garrard. Some games he's Matt Ryan other games he's Tim Couch.

On ESPN they just said garrads agent said 5 teams have already called. I think it is being made a big deal by the media. Id feel bad for any guy that had a chance at starting but got cut the week the season starts. But hearing what his agent said I don't really feel bad anymore lol

I heard it was 3 teams from a different site.

I'm not sure how it works but I read somewhere about his contract and the timing also. I want to say it was something along the lines that if he was signed by another team within a week then they'd have to pay his salary that he was contracted for this year. I doubt anyone would sign him until next week if that was the case, but if they had cut him Saturday then the Colts could have officially signed him this coming Saturday at a reasonable price. Not sure if that is how it works but...

I guess its all business and if you think of it that way it makes sense.

I'm not sure how it works but I read somewhere about his contract and the timing also. I want to say it was something along the lines that if he was signed by another team within a week then they'd have to pay his salary that he was contracted for this year. I doubt anyone would sign him until next week if that was the case, but if they had cut him Saturday then the Colts could have officially signed him this coming Saturday at a reasonable price. Not sure if that is how it works but...

Im not sure how that works with the NFL cap. I have not seen his deal, but have yet to see any deal in my time that has a clause like that. But he did have a big pay day coming if they kept him.

who is Gerrard?

Actually, it is Jerrard. All the local rednecks have trouble with the hard-G sound in Guh-rard and say Jer-rard instead. Which lead one local sports talk guy to suggest that Blaine Gabbert should be Blaine Jabbert until he earns the hard-G by playing well.

He is the split personality of Garrard. Some games he's Matt Ryan other games he's Tim Couch.

dude, thanks for the info and clarity!

He had a large payment due from the Jags that they avoided by cutting him when they did. Now he'll fall under the old vested veteran on a week 1 roster gets is salary guaranteed, so whoever signs him will probably do so on September 12th or 13th, not this week.

He had a large payment due from the Jags that they avoided by cutting him when they did. Now he'll fall under the old vested veteran on a week 1 roster gets is salary guaranteed, so whoever signs him will probably do so on September 12th or 13th, not this week.

That makes more sense. Thanks for the clarification.

Saving $9m and keeping him from the Colts? Smart move.

^^^^^^ I Tapped That ^^^^^^

Saving $9m and keeping him from the Colts? Smart move.

^^^^^^ I Tapped That ^^^^^^

The colts could still pick him up if they wanted

Of course, but by the time he is playbook ready, Manning should be back.

Of course, but by the time he is playbook ready, Manning should be back.

And the Colts and Jags don't play each other until November and they both know each other too well to gain much of anything from poaching a guy just for a game week, etc. They already know each other's plays and players. Signals change. No value in any of that between those two teams in division. And Collins is probably a better short term solution for the Colts offense anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back