The Official 2011 NFL Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would like to see Romo finally make that turn to be a top half of the league QB. He has been close, but has regressed at times. I thought he would last year, but that was a flat out awful start before the injury. The tunnel vision and dump offs returned quickly.

I completely agree. I keep touting him and yet last year was not good. I keep hearing how he looked good before the injury from some of the "experts" and I just didn't see it last year. I think he goes back to 2009 this year and solidifies himself in the upper echelon. But I'm a homer so...

Dallas: 10-6 and in the playoffs.

I completely agree. I keep touting him and yet last year was not good. I keep hearing how he looked good before the injury from some of the "experts" and I just didn't see it last year. I think he goes back to 2009 this year and solidifies himself in the upper echelon. But I'm a homer so...

I said last year that he was going to bust because rumor had it he was not working all that hard in that offseason. I think I was pretty accurate. I think he had about 10 TDs and 7 or so interceptions (and most were costly). Rumor has it he has upped his training and I would like to see him turn the corner. Not sure yet, but I think he starts out a little stronger.

I said last year that he was going to bust because rumor had it he was not working all that hard in that offseason. I think I was pretty accurate. I think he had about 10 TDs and 7 or so interceptions (and most were costly). Rumor has it he has upped his training and I would like to see him turn the corner. Not sure yet, but I think he starts out a little stronger.

Yeah I think so too. I like that he got married and settled down. I've also heard that he seems more mature this year. More of a leader. We just need those head scratching INT's to go away. Throw the frikken ball away!

And that is the question. Why are they capable of that? Having a couple of very good WRs and an above average (although aging and not great blocking) TE does not stop the deep pass, the run, or block the DL. This time has been in place and their offensive playbook is not changing. Why are they suddenly a much better team than they have shown?

Well say what you want but he is much Better than above average.. I'm just going to let them play a coach they played much better under to replace wade Phillips and a new defensive coordinator. I hope for big things but I'll put any amount of money on them going above 5-11

Well say what you want but he is much Better than above average.. I'm just going to let them play a coach they played much better under to replace wade Phillips and a new defensive coordinator. I hope for big things but I'll put any amount of money on them going above 5-11

In what way please? Im asking honest questions, not fan questions. What makes him better than above average? His record says otherwise. His playoff record is below average (obviously). He throws a good ball and has a history of making bad decisions in crucial times. He has a history of being below average at best in the redzone.

Im not knocking the guy, just stating actual facts. Wins make a guy what he is and Romo with these exact same weapons last year was pretty darn bad. 11 TDs and 7 Ints with that record says average.

Im not betting against your team. Relax dude, Im not making fun of the cowboys or anything else. Its about having normal conversations about the league. Herein lies the Tiger Woods comparison. Take a look at CL's posts. Normal objective conversations can happen. I swear.

I would have made that bet a thousand times last year. In fact I'm pretty sure somewhere on this forum I was screaming SB! Injuries happen and quite honestly this team has not shown me the toughness that I want to see yet. I agree we have a better coach this year. No upgrade however in the secondary is going to be very costly this year. Elam is a good player but we needed a lot more. Injuries are already hitting the Oline. I'm not so optimistic. I almost feel like this is a rebuild year

I would have made that bet a thousand times last year. In fact I'm pretty sure somewhere on this forum I was screaming SB! Injuries happen and quite honestly this team has not shown me the toughness that I want to see yet. I agree we have a better coach this year. No upgrade however in the secondary is going to be very costly this year. Elam is a good player but we needed a lot more. Injuries are already hitting the Oline. I'm not so optimistic. I almost feel like this is a rebuild year

We traded places. I made that call last year and everybody laughed at me. I think this year they could turn the corner, but ONLY if Romo cuts down on the mistakes and the team overall gets better in the redzone. I think both of those things COULD happen.

Except I'm an unbiased Steeler fan.
Very much unlike Jerry Jones. I still dont see them winning 10 games. Even for a good team, winning 10 games isnt easy.

We traded places. I made that call last year and everybody laughed at me. I think this year they could turn the corner, but ONLY if Romo cuts down on the mistakes and the team overall gets better in the redzone. I think both of those things COULD happen.
and if he stops choking in the playoffs. I like Romo. He's a good ole Wisconsin boy but I dont see him ever winning a Superbowl.

The only thing I would bet on this year is that Romo does cut those mistakes out. I think he is in for a nice year this year. I will keep saying it till I'm blue in the face. Dez is a beast! They will need to put up big points though as I still see the secondary giving up big plays.

Very much unlike Jerry Jones. I still dont see them winning 10 games. Even for a good team, winning 10 games isnt easy.

Check their schedule. They play the AFC East, should be 2 wins, and the NFC West, could win all 4. There are some toss ups for sure but it is definitely doable.

Check their schedule. They play the AFC East, should be 2 wins, and the NFC West, could win all 4. There are some toss ups for sure but it is definitely doable.
Other than Washington, Seattle, Buffalo and Arizona their schedule isnt THAT easy. Detroit isnt going to be a pushover this year. They actually have some defense now and if their Stafford can stay healthy they can put up some points.
A lot of people are picking the Lions to make a playoff run this season. I still say the Cowboys go 6-10.

Other than Washington, Seattle, Buffalo and Arizona their schedule isnt THAT easy. Detroit isnt going to be a pushover this year. They actually have some defense now and if their Stafford can stay healthy they can put up some points.
A lot of people are picking the Lions to make a playoff run this season. I still say the Cowboys go 6-10.

Washington always plays Dallas tough.

In what way please? Im asking honest questions, not fan questions. What makes him better than above average? His record says otherwise. His playoff record is below average (obviously). He throws a good ball and has a history of making bad decisions in crucial times. He has a history of being below average at best in the redzone.

Im not knocking the guy, just stating actual facts. Wins make a guy what he is and Romo with these exact same weapons last year was pretty darn bad. 11 TDs and 7 Ints with that record says average.

Im not betting against your team. Relax dude, Im not making fun of the cowboys or anything else. Its about having normal conversations about the league. Herein lies the Tiger Woods comparison. Take a look at CL's posts. Normal objective conversations can happen. I swear.

JB,

My apologies for being unclear, I was talking about Witten. In no way am I trying to be defensive, you are asking me to defend why I think 5-11 is underperforming and I am stating my reasons. Differences make the world go 'round and if they go 5-11 I know I will hear it from everyone, but I just think they are too talented on offense for it to not win them at least 6 games and like I said I am thinking more like 8.

I think Romo is above average and I think he will show that. I hope they have a winning season, but would be happy with .500 ball. More than anything I am just excited to get the NFL season started.

JB,

My apologies for being unclear, I was talking about Witten. In no way am I trying to be defensive, you are asking me to defend why I think 5-11 is underperforming and I am stating my reasons. Differences make the world go 'round and if they go 5-11 I know I will hear it from everyone, but I just think they are too talented on offense for it to not win them at least 6 games and like I said I am thinking more like 8.

I think Romo is above average and I think he will show that. I hope they have a winning season, but would be happy with .500 ball. More than anything I am just excited to get the NFL season started.

TH on that we can all agree. Still pondering the NFL Sunday Ticket. Get it for free this weekend!!

TH on that we can all agree. Still pondering the NFL Sunday Ticket. Get it for free this weekend!!

A few of my friends got Sunday Ticket so luckily I will get to go watch the Boys over there, but I just cant justify spending that much money.

And again I will ask. What makes Romo better than an above average QB? Its an honest question.
Decision making? Nope
Wins? Not really
Playoff wins? Obviously not

I mean outside of throwing it all around the field between the 20s and then not getting it done in the red zone, I am honestly trying to figure out how he is more than an above average QB right now. Could he be better? of course. But I think its a pretty fair question. I dont care if the Cowboys win 5 games or go undefeated. It means nothing to me. I dont root for them or against them. But if you look at everything objectively, I still struggle where ANYTHING says Romo is better than above average so far. He shows glimpses of being better. But better than above average involves winning games, playoff games and making good decisions, especially in the redzone. None of those things have been a Romo specialty.

And again I will ask. What makes Romo better than an above average QB? Its an honest question.
Decision making? Nope
Wins? Not really

I mean outside of throwing it all around the field between the 20s and then not getting it done in the red zone, I am honestly trying to figure out how he is more than an above average QB right now. Could he be better? of course. But I think its a pretty fair question. I dont care if the Cowboys win 5 games or go undefeated. It means nothing to me. I dont root for them or against them. But if you look at everything objectively, I still struggle where ANYTHING says Romo is better than above average so far. He shows glimpses of being better. But better than above average involves winning games, playoff games and making good decisions, especially in the redzone. None of those things have been a Romo specialty.

Better than above average isn't a measure of what he does but more a measure of the league as whole. I'd say he ranks above 16 other QBs.

Decision making? Nope
Wins? Not really

I appreciate that. I will say if you are looking for something he is #4 all time in passer rating, that is higher than Brady, Payton, Brees, Big Ben, albeit in less attempts than some of them. Im just saying for as much as people dog him he is a decent QB. Im not saying he is a HOFer or even the answer to Dallas' QB problem, but he isnt chopped liver

Better than above average isn't a measure of what he does more a measure of the league as whole. I'd say he ranks above 16 other QBs.

I did not say better than the current league average. Average is a term thrown around when looking at talent to be considered the "norm" or run of the mill. Not necessarily of current crops but those of the past as well. And even with your definition of using the rest of the league, the term thrown around right now is ABOVE average, not median average. Meaning he would be ABOVE 16 other QBs regardless if that was the definitions intent.

I scouted the guy out of school. The one thing that always plagued him was decision making in necessary spots. Its the same thing that has not improved since the beginning of his pro career as well. It has what has kept him from making the next leap and in some ways the team making the next leap.

I wish I could say I think Dallas will make the playoffs but at best I think they can win 9 games. And they would have to get real lucky to make the playoffs. Hope Im wrong.

I appreciate that. I will say if you are looking for something he is #4 all time in passer rating, that is higher than Brady, Payton, Brees, Big Ben, albeit in less attempts than some of them. Im just saying for as much as people dog him he is a decent QB. Im not saying he is a HOFer or even the answer to Dallas' QB problem, but he isnt chopped liver

So if that is the stat that you are standing on, that would mean one must believe he is better than those guys as well. Because otherwise the entire stat is meaningless.
I have NEVER said the guy is garbage. What I have said is he is an above average QB. He is not a superstar, or a great QB, or in many ways even a very good QB. At this point in his career, he is above average. When everybody said last year, they were going to the dance and that Romo was the savior, I was laughed at on this board for saying what I said. Which was later proved to be right. And I am willing to bet that last year, you said the same thing about your Cowboys and Romo, except that you expected even a better year.

Ironically enough I have said all along that I think he turns the corner this year and turns in a better performance if he gets off to an early start. But the facts dont lie and all of his past leads back to above average.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back