The Official NFL 2010 Thread [Spoilers]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does Moss leaving hurt or help Wes Welker? Obviously Welker is not what you would consider a #1 receiver. Some argue that he will be handcuffed because will no longer be there drwaing constant double teams while others say he will get more targets.

Any thoughts?

Does Moss leaving hurt or help Wes Welker? Obviously Welker is not what you would consider a #1 receiver. Some argue that he will be handcuffed because will no longer be there drwaing constant double teams while others say he will get more targets.

Any thoughts?

Nobody is going to double team and underneath slot WR. It changes nothing.

Nobody is going to double team and underneath slot WR. It changes nothing.

but can't the scheme against Welker like they did Moss? Moss would all too often have a corner underneath and a safety over the top. can't they cover Welker with a corner and run a LB underneath? I don't see why that would be out of the realm of possibilty.

If Welker is the only legit passing threat I am sure D coordinators can game plan to neautralize him or minimize his effectiveness...

Because Moss is one dimensional. Deep threat only. Always has been. Using two guys to cover a slot receiver on a quick out pattern like Welker runs would leave the run up the middle wide open as well as curl patterns/comeback patterns to Out receivers all day long.

There is a reason he catches so many. It has little to do with Moss being there.

What a week for the Pack. Brandon Chillar maybe seriously injured. Nick Barnett out for the year. Morgan Burnett out for the year. Lynch to the Seahawks instead of the Pack. Moss to the Vikings.

Kevin

The latest Chris Johnson Breaking News...I couldnt make this up if I tried.

"u got to get me dat ball back then u give me ahunnda u owe me"

"I still L0VE you Guys @wristgamegone n @ChrisJohnson28 get right I told u what u got to do for brah"

"what dey do sleep you jit"

thats hilarious man. Could you imagine having a full conversation with him?

The latest Chris Johnson Breaking News...I couldnt make this up if I tried.

"u got to get me dat ball back then u give me ahunnda u owe me"

"I still L0VE you Guys @wristgamegone n @ChrisJohnson28 get right I told u what u got to do for brah"

"what dey do sleep you jit"

so that's what an education at ECU gets you!

gawd, it reminds me of bridges' first posts when he joined up. i have not a clue what the man is trying to say.

gawd, it reminds me of bridges' first posts when he joined up. i have not a clue what the man is trying to say.

lmao now thats funny. And yes Rhino, I think thats funny. I need an interpreter for ol CJ there.

Reactions: JB
Because Moss is one dimensional. Deep threat only. Always has been. Using two guys to cover a slot receiver on a quick out pattern like Welker runs would leave the run up the middle wide open as well as curl patterns/comeback patterns to Out receivers all day long.

There is a reason he catches so many. It has little to do with Moss being there.

IMO, Welker's biggest asset is his ability to run after the catch. This was made possible in part because the safety the would normally will that void where he is running loose is being used in over the top coverage on Moss.

He is a freakish gifted receiver that has to be accounted for on every single play. #2 and #3 receivers benefit greatly when you have a legit #1 All-Pro receiver commanding double-teams... To think that Welker's performance won't be impacted by his absence would a mistake.

I guess we'll see either way in the weeks to come.

IMO, Welker's biggest asset is his ability to run after the catch. This was made possible in part because the safety the would normally will that void where he is running loose is being used in over the top coverage on Moss.

He is a freakish gifted receiver that has to be accounted for on every single play. #2 and #3 receivers benefit greatly when you have a legit #1 All-Pro receiver commanding double-teams... To think that Welker's performance won't be impacted by his absence would a mistake.

I guess we'll see either way in the weeks to come.

Really? Did you watch him play in Miami?

Would you then also say Julian E is an all pro WR that commands attention?

Or how about Dante S or the other half dozen WRs that NE has trotted out there the last 4 years that looked like superstars (until they leave)

THere is no denying Welker is a great WR. None! But to double team a 5 yard out pattern from a slot WR is rarely done. Why? Because you cannot give up 1 on 1 coverage deep to 2 guys or the run up the middle by moving a LB. Do you not think that all the other teams in the league dont look at this? Its the reason the Tampa 2 defense is so popular now. Because you give up short plays to not get beat deep. Its why moving the ball from 20 to 20 never wins. Its also why as the field shrinks (RZ) so do slot WR TD's. HEck WElker himself usually gets only about 3-4. He had one year with 7-8 (going off memory) but never even had 5 outside of that.

Twat da ya means? Prolly reckon yous red it wong. lol

Cutler is officially out for this week against Carolina.

No Tauscher is down for the Pack. This week, maybe longer. WTF? Enough already.

Kevin

Really? Did you watch him play in Miami?

Would you then also say Julian E is an all pro WR that commands attention?

Or how about Dante S or the other half dozen WRs that NE has trotted out there the last 4 years that looked like superstars (until they leave)

THere is no denying Welker is a great WR. None! But to double team a 5 yard out pattern from a slot WR is rarely done. Why? Because you cannot give up 1 on 1 coverage deep to 2 guys or the run up the middle by moving a LB. Do you not think that all the other teams in the league dont look at this? Its the reason the Tampa 2 defense is so popular now. Because you give up short plays to not get beat deep. Its why moving the ball from 20 to 20 never wins. Its also why as the field shrinks (RZ) so do slot WR TD's. HEck WElker himself usually gets only about 3-4. He had one year with 7-8 (going off memory) but never even had 5 outside of that.

Wes Welker in Miami...
2006 Miami Dolphins 67rec 687yds 1td
2005 Miami Dolphins 29rec 434yds 0td

Wes Welker in New England...
2009 New England Patriots 123rec 1,348yds 4td
2008 New England Patriots 111rec 1,165yds 3td
2007 New England Patriots 112rec 1,175yds 8td

Hmmm... Moss arrived in New England in 2007 as well... coincidence? Maybe... but I doubt it...

I never denied that Welker was a great All-Pro player in his own right. You don't catch 100+ balls 3 straigh seasons by accident. But to think he has not benefited from Moss being there is ridiculous IMO... by the nature of the slot position he will continue to get massive amount of receptions but his yardage is going to decrease.

And just an fyi,
D. Stallworth's best season in NE was 46rec 697yds 3td (this was 2007 as well)
Julian E best season in NE was 37rec 359yds 1td
that would hardly qualify them as a looking like a superstars.

Just saw that Ray Rice will return to the feature back role this week.

Wes Welker in Miami...
2006 Miami Dolphins 67rec 687yds 1td
2005 Miami Dolphins 29rec 434yds 0td

Wes Welker in New England...
2009 New England Patriots 123rec 1,348yds 4td
2008 New England Patriots 111rec 1,165yds 3td
2007 New England Patriots 112rec 1,175yds 8td

Hmmm... Moss arrived in New England in 2007 as well... coincidence? Maybe... but I doubt it...

I never denied that Welker was a great All-Pro player in his own right. You don't catch 100+ balls 3 straigh seasons by accident. But to think he has not benefited from Moss being there is ridiculous IMO... by the nature of the slot position he will continue to get massive amount of receptions but his yardage is going to decrease.

And just an fyi,
D. Stallworth's best season in NE was 46rec 697yds 3td (this was 2007 as well)
Julian E best season in NE was 37rec 359yds 1td
that would hardly qualify them as a looking like a superstars.

Could you not also say that because Welker was there, Moss was able to catch more passes and go deep again, because clearly since leaving MN that was not the case. In fact his entire Oakland stay was a joke.

And NO WHERE did I say other WRs WERE superstars, I said in NE's system they MADE them LOOK like superstars. Just as they do with the rest of the average talent that they roll out at skill positions.

Here is a good stat for you.
Last week, New England destroyed Miami and Welker looked like his old self. Moss stat line - 0 catches. It must have been all decoy that was freeing up Welker right?

Again, you do NOT double team the slot WR on quick outs. Show me one example ANYWHERE across the NFL where that has happened. Its simply not possible if you want to play any WR going deep and stop the run in the middle.

Here is another stat for you. Randy Moss has not had 80 yards in a game since week 10 LAST year. Hardly THE reason others are succeeding in that system.

]
From Minny's position this seem like move of some desparation - 'screw next year, just to the Big Game while we still have Favre'.

Isn't bring back a 41 year old QB who had off season surgery more of a desperation move than trading for Moss?

Great trade for the Pats in my opinion. He wants out of NE, so he's worth nothing to them at the end of the season. The Pats just never seem to lose on these trades, they're just not afraid to sacrifice talent now for cheaper, higher potential, value players later. As a Dolphins fan I'd love to petition the NFL to ban Belichick from shipping off aging stars and trading down in the draft, it is just a crime against parity.

From Minny's position this seem like move of some desparation - 'screw next year, just to the Big Game while we still have Favre'.

Of course it is a desperation move. The Vikings want a new stadium, have been borrowing money worse than the Federal government for years, have a debt service as large as the value of the team, and need to win the Super Bowl to have much of any shot of being able to pay their bills/get that new stadium. If there were a salary cap they'd be dead. As it is they will likely be having a Florida Marlins-esque fire sale after this season and jetison many big name guys. Minny is very high on the list of teams that could wind up in Los Angeles due to their financial situation.

Favre is well over the hill. Moss can see the valley. They've thrown all their chips on the table and hope they get a good hand. Even if it works this sort of things generally results in multiple years of bad teams afterwards while they have to rebuild.

there is?
Of course it is a desperation move. The Vikings want a new stadium, have been borrowing money worse than the Federal government for years, have a debt service as large as the value of the team, and need to win the Super Bowl to have much of any shot of being able to pay their bills/get that new stadium. If there were a salary cap they'd be dead. As it is they will likely be having a Florida Marlins-esque fire sale after this season and jetison many big name guys. Minny is very high on the list of teams that could wind up in Los Angeles due to their financial situation.

Favre is well over the hill. Moss can see the valley. They've thrown all their chips on the table and hope they get a good hand. Even if it works this sort of things generally results in multiple years of bad teams afterwards while they have to rebuild.

Is Brett Favre becoming Tiger Woods? Sending texts and voicemail to females saying he would like to hang out with them tonight...

"Hey....it's Brett.....want to try on some Wranglers with me? Real.comfortable.jeans!'
Is Brett Favre becoming Tiger Woods? Sending texts and voicemail to females saying he would like to hang out with them tonight...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back