True Temper Iron Shaft Project

Looking forward to the results TC!

Sounds fun TC, I'm interested in hearing the results.

Nice write up TC! Cant wait to see how this works for you. As for grips, my vote goes for the golf pride new decades, love those grips.

Forgot to mention that the 'regular' (e.g. not PX) Rifle 6.0 is a great all around shaft and you should be pleased. Very underrated since they don't come stock with many (if any?) clubs. A friend has them in his clubs and I have hit them several times. It is very versatile. Not too heavy or too light. Not too stiff, but not too weak either. You can make a lot of different shots with a variety of swings and swing speeds and the shaft keeps up with all of it.

Forgot to mention that the 'regular' (e.g. not PX) Rifle 6.0 is a great all around shaft and you should be pleased. Very underrated since they don't come stock with many (if any?) clubs. A friend has them in his clubs and I have hit them several times. It is very versatile. Not too heavy or too light. Not too stiff, but not too weak either. You can make a lot of different shots with a variety of swings and swing speeds and the shaft keeps up with all of it.

thanks for the info STL! that's exactly what i'm looking for. i played this morning in pretty windy conditions and was wishing i had the shafts installed already. ball striking was good, but i wasn't able to control my distances like i normally do today. i am so ready to begin this journey!!!

new decades huh OEM? they're just so rough on the hands.

sorta of, I went to a local golf shop and got fitted for a set of their knock offs, but ended up finding my Nike Slingshot 4D's on line for the same price so I went with them. I'm 6'2" and think the +1 might be too much and would like to go down to +1/2

were you fit for your current irons sunday?

sorta of, I went to a local golf shop and got fitted for a set of their knock offs, but ended up finding my Nike Slingshot 4D's on line for the same price so I went with them. I'm 6'2" and think the +1 might be too much and would like to go down to +1/2

you need to get measured. i'm 6'4'' and mine are 1/2'', well 5/8'' longer than standard, but maybe you just have really short arms, haha!!!

Great thread TC! I've been thinking about shaft fitting a whole bunch lately too. Glad you found some good ones. I'll see the results come September!

Great thread TC! I've been thinking about shaft fitting a whole bunch lately too. Glad you found some good ones. I'll see the results come September!

i can honestly say that i was consumed by thoses thoughts 9-I. it's hard being satisfied when you know that you haven't even been optimized in the first place. have you gone through the shaftfit process yet?

i can honestly say that i was consumed by thoses thoughts 9-I. it's hard being satisfied when you know that you haven't even been optimized in the first place. have you gone through the shaftfit process yet?

I actually just looked at it. Pretty cool stuff. Recommended shaft for my irons was the Dynamic Gold R300 R flex and Grafalloy ProLaunch Platinum R flex for my woods. I've got the stock ProLaunch Platinum R's on my 3, 4, 5 hybrids already and True Temper Apollo shafts in my 6-PW. So it seems to me that I'm fairly well off already with my current setup. As I continue with refining my swing I've found that I am hitting my irons better all the time. So things are looking up in that regard. I'm hitting the ball straighter and longer which I am totally stoked about. I've got the stock SQ R flex shafts in my driver and 3 wood and to be honest was more concerned about getting them fit over my irons. But like my irons, I'm hitting them better all the time too. I was a bit concerned about my flex seeing as when I hit a bit in a simulator at the store, it said my club head speed was in the low to mid 70s. I went to a Bridgestone ball fitting on Wednesday and found out my CHS is actually in the low 90s. So all told, I am feeling a lot more confident with my swing and equipment.

With all that said, I know I should still get fit, so here's a question: As my swing is still changing and refining should I wait to get fit until my swing develops more consistency? Or should I get fit and match my swing to my fitting?

I actually just looked at it. Pretty cool stuff. Recommended shaft for my irons was the Dynamic Gold R300 R flex and Grafalloy ProLaunch Platinum R flex for my woods. I've got the stock ProLaunch Platinum R's on my 3, 4, 5 hybrids already and True Temper Apollo shafts in my 6-PW. So it seems to me that I'm fairly well off already with my current setup. As I continue with refining my swing I've found that I am hitting my irons better all the time. So things are looking up in that regard. I'm hitting the ball straighter and longer which I am totally stoked about. I've got the stock SQ R flex shafts in my driver and 3 wood and to be honest was more concerned about getting them fit over my irons. But like my irons, I'm hitting them better all the time too. I was a bit concerned about my flex seeing as when I hit a bit in a simulator at the store, it said my club head speed was in the low to mid 70s. I went to a Bridgestone ball fitting on Wednesday and found out my CHS is actually in the low 90s. So all told, I am feeling a lot more confident with my swing and equipment.

With all that said, I know I should still get fit, so here's a question: As my swing is still changing and refining should I wait to get fit until my swing develops more consistency? Or should I get fit and match my swing to my fitting?

geez, that's an incredible question 9I and i wish i had the credintials to answer that. i'm sure that it would be most beneficial to go throught the fitting once your swing fully develops. however, i'm an amateur golfer, a weekend warrior if you will, and i'm constantly making smalls tweaks and whatnot. if you are confident in your swing now, and it sounds like you are, and your ball striking is improving by leaps and bounds then i couldn't think of a better time to go through a fitting! if your swing is comfortable, and your ball striking is at its best, i would get fit. again, that's just my opinion and i'm pretty much a nobody in the golfing community.....haha. i just know that for me, i knew that something was missing. i think that i wasn't giving myself credit for the quality of my swing and my golf game, therefore i always thought "well i'm not good enough for those", when the fact is True Temper has such a wide array of shafts to fit everyone!!!!

geez, that's an incredible question 9I and i wish i had the credintials to answer that. i'm sure that it would be most beneficial to go throught the fitting once your swing fully develops. however, i'm an amateur golfer, a weekend warrior if you will, and i'm constantly making smalls tweaks and whatnot. if you are confident in your swing now, and it sounds like you are, and your ball striking is improving by leaps and bounds then i couldn't think of a better time to go through a fitting! if your swing is comfortable, and your ball striking is at its best, i would get fit. again, that's just my opinion and i'm pretty much a nobody in the golfing community.....haha. i just know that for me, i knew that something was missing. i think that i wasn't giving myself credit for the quality of my swing and my golf game, therefore i always thought "well i'm not good enough for those", when the fact is True Temper has such a wide array of shafts to fit everyone!!!!

I'd say you're somebody in this golf community TC!

I agree, but while I am more confident, there still are plenty of times where my swing just doesn't work. Take last Saturday, I was playing a 9 hole par 3 course with my Dad. I would biff a couple balls and then finally hit a good one that would land on or really close to the green. There is still lots of room for improvement in my swing and game in general so I am a bit hesitant to get fit at this stage. My goal this year is to get my game to a place where I can feel confident at all times and while I'm on my way, I'm not quite there yet.

I would welcome any other thoughts on the matter!

I'd say you're somebody in this golf community TC!

I agree, but while I am more confident, there still are plenty of times where my swing just doesn't work. Take last Saturday, I was playing a 9 hole par 3 course with my Dad. I would biff a couple balls and then finally hit a good one that would land on or really close to the green. There is still lots of room for improvement in my swing and game in general so I am a bit hesitant to get fit at this stage. My goal this year is to get my game to a place where I can feel confident at all times and while I'm on my way, I'm not quite there yet.

I would welcome any other thoughts on the matter!

the most important thing you've said in this post is that you've set yourself goals! i love that. i would also like to hear more thoughts on the matter.

the most important thing you've said in this post is that you've set yourself goals! i love that. i would also like to hear more thoughts on the matter.

Thanks TC! I think goals are important, especially with a game like golf. It's helped me get focused with my game. I want to get better at it and I won't unless I work at it. It's something to aspire to.

exactly! i can't wait to get this project started. it'll be fun to report my findings.

I think you'll really like the Rifle shafts TC. I have Rifles in my irons. I believe they're a 5.5 on the RP scale. They're smoother than TT DGS300 and I love the look of a stepless shaft. I have good 'ol GP Tour Wraps on mine.

TC - Loved the write-up and I'm sure that you will do great with these shafts. Have you looked at the Golf Pride Tour Wrap 2G grips? Those things are sweet looking and feel super tacky in hand.

I think you'll really like the Rifle shafts TC. I have Rifles in my irons. I believe they're a 5.5 on the RP scale. They're smoother than TT DGS300 and I love the look of a stepless shaft. I have good 'ol GP Tour Wraps on mine.

TC - Loved the write-up and I'm sure that you will do great with these shafts. Have you looked at the Golf Pride Tour Wrap 2G grips? Those things are sweet looking and feel super tacky in hand.

thanks guys, i haven't looked into those grips. perhaps i should check them out. i know one thing, no winn's. i actually like them but they just aren't durable enough!

I put the Winn Lites on my Ci7 4i and 5i. They were ok, but very expensive. From what I've read, the swing-weight theory (regarding the grips) is kind of up for debate as well.

I put the Winn Lites on my Ci7 4i and 5i. They were ok, but very expensive. From what I've read, the swing-weight theory (regarding the grips) is kind of up for debate as well.

i use to put winn's on everything and i had to replace them after every year it seemed. winn's are out. i'm leaning towards the tour velvet's but now i've got you and bonk got me leaning towards the tour wraps and i've got OEM pushing the new decades!

I really love my Tour Velvet grips. I put a Multi Compound on my driver and I don't like it as much as the velvets. Ill probably find something tomorrow that I like better than the velvets though haha.

I really love my Tour Velvet grips. I put a Multi Compound on my driver and I don't like it as much as the velvets. Ill probably find something tomorrow that I like better than the velvets though haha.

you're going grip shopping tomorrow?

TC it sounds like you and I have a lot of the same swing characteristics based on what the fitting suggested for you. It suggested the X100 for me, something I figured would happen beforehand. My driver and woods have X flex shafts in them, but my irons have the stock Nipon N.S. Pro 1030H in stiff flex. I have a high ball flight and on a full swing I hit probably a 7-10 yard draw. I have just learned to play for that and it has helped me in some situations while hurting in others. I am really interested in seeing how this works for you, as I like the heads on my irons and if I make a change in the next little bit it will be for new shafts, not heads.

Seth, if you get a chance look up the Golf Pride Tour Velvet BCT grips. It is a cord grip but has the BCT (Brushed Cotton Technology) which makes it super soft. I put them on all of my clubs earlier this year and absolutely love them. A little expensive but extremely comfortable.

Back