True Temper Iron Shaft Project

In the name of shaft testing and TC's experiment Im going to do the Mizuno shaft thing today.

i'm curious to see how that works out for you. i know you've been through the shaftfit a few times so i'll be interested to see if anything matches up, however i don't think so. seems as though the optimizer from mizuno tends to spit out the same 3 or 4 shafts for just about everybody. at least you'll get to hit balls with the shafts and look at #'s, #'s don't lie.

Why, you were just fitted for irons....I assume that they fit the shafts correct?

They did the lie board and face tape stuff.

They did the lie board and face tape stuff.

So you got fitted for your irons at time of purchase and they did not check shafts? That seems crazy to me that a fitter would do that.

So you got fitted for your irons at time of purchase and they did not check shafts? That seems crazy to me that a fitter would do that.

I dont think GG can do an actual fitting like what youre talking about but I could be wrong. Only thing they did for me was the lie board thing.

I dont think GG can do an actual fitting like what youre talking about but I could be wrong. Only thing they did for me was the lie board thing.

I had a fitting at one once. Perhaps it has more to do with the x-24s an shaft choice then anything else. Did they check for length? I just think its crazy that a place wants someone to pay for full irons (shaft and heads) but then have to get fit somewhere else and junk the shafts and pay for half irons again (shaft). That makes no sense to me.

Perhaps its why I really like the online fitting that TC went through.

I had a fitting at one once. Perhaps it has more to do with the x-24s an shaft choice then anything else. Did they check for length? I just think its crazy that a place wants someone to pay for full irons (shaft and heads) but then have to get fit somewhere else and junk the shafts and pay for half irons again (shaft). That makes no sense to me.

Perhaps its why I really like the online fitting that TC went through.

Im curious if come to the same conclusion as the online fitting in the store.

I talked to a sales guy at gg about iron fitting. He said it's 49.99 to check lie, length, and shaft. They use the tape and mizuno shaft optimizer. They can do custom orders that takes 3 weeks. If you purchase the irons the fitting is free.

I would be a person that would greatly benefit from a live shaft fitting because I am still relatively new. I have done the static shaft fit a bunch of times, but I still don't know what I need as far as height of shot even though I do know the flex of iron shaft that I need.

Edit: This is why I am glad that I am going to the FL outing!

I would be a person that would greatly benefit from a live shaft fitting because I am still relatively new. I have done the static shaft fit a bunch of times, but I still don't know what I need as far as height of shot even though I do know the flex of iron shaft that I need.

hopefully, there will be some different stiff flex shaft options to hit at the outing setho. having only played a couple of golf holes with you, i'm pretty sure that you could use a heavier stiff flex, but i'm no expert. i think that you would benefit from the 120g kbs stiff much more than the stock 90, but it's hard to say until you actually try them out.

+1 Seth! As a newbie to the game too I'm unsure of a lot of things with my swing. Especially as my swing is no where near consistent right now.

TC and I were discussing it earlier in the thread here and I'll throw it out there again. Should a person who is still trying to build consistency into their swing get fitted now or wait until the consistency is there to get a better idea of what happens during one's swing?

9 Iron, i wish others with more knowledge and experience would chime in here.

There are arguments to both sides, but I will say this. I dont believe ANYBODY should buy irons that are not fit for them. Even simple, length, lie, and flex. It could mean the difference in hitting the sweet spot and missing off the toe or heel with each good swing.

There are arguments to both sides, but I will say this. I dont believe ANYBODY should buy irons that are not fit for them. Even simple, length, lie, and flex. It could mean the difference in hitting the sweet spot and missing off the toe or heel with each good swing.

Well, I know I have my length and lie correct haha.

I has not fit for any of my clubs. I tried different ones out and bought the ones that performed the best for me. With that, I have hit a perfect shot with every club in my bag at one point or another. Like I said before, my problem is consistency. So would there be any benefit right now to getting new shafts or even a new set of irons (that are properly fit to me) while I am still trying to hone in my swing? Would it make that much difference?

I has not fit for any of my clubs. I tried different ones out and bought the ones that performed the best for me. With that, I have hit a perfect shot with every club in my bag at one point or another. Like I said before, my problem is consistency. So would there be any benefit right now to getting new shafts or even a new set of irons (that are properly fit to me) while I am still trying to hone in my swing? Would it make that much difference?

i think you should at least be fit for length and lie asap. you never know, your swing could be better than you think but you are hitting with clubs that don't fit you.

i think you should at least be fit for length and lie asap. you never know, your swing could be better than you think but you are hitting with clubs that don't fit you.

Maybe.... So here's another question: Do I get my current irons adjusted or do I buy a set set? My 3-5 are hybrids and I've heard that they can't be lie adjusted. Or is that just a story?

Maybe.... So here's another question: Do I get my current irons adjusted or do I buy a set set? My 3-5 are hybrids and I've heard that they can't be lie adjusted. Or is that just a story?

it's tough for cast clubs to be altered after the fact. many places will tell you they can be adjusted but i'd call the manufacturer to find out. i also think that hybrids can be altered a little but i'm not too sure, once again, i'd contact the manufacturer about that. i was never fit for irons until about 4 years ago and it was crazy how much it helped, and i didn't alter my swing. i use to have a bad habit of getting the ball out on the toe and after i was fit, 2 degrees upright, it happens far less. it's something that i would seriously look into. like i said, chances are your swing is better than you think but your clubs don't fit you so good results aren't always there when it comes to ball striking.

it's tough for cast clubs to be altered after the fact. many places will tell you they can be adjusted but i'd call the manufacturer to find out. i also think that hybrids can be altered a little but i'm not too sure, once again, i'd contact the manufacturer about that. i was never fit for irons until about 4 years ago and it was crazy how much it helped, and i didn't alter my swing. i use to have a bad habit of getting the ball out on the toe and after i was fit, 2 degrees upright, it happens far less. it's something that i would seriously look into. like i said, chances are your swing is better than you think but your clubs don't fit you so good results aren't always there when it comes to ball striking.

I sense there might be a trip to Golf Town tonight!

I sense there might be a trip to Golf Town tonight!

i honestly think it would be huge for your ball striking if you did. i've had my cg14 bent to my specs as well. it's something that you'll be glad you did, i swear it!

i honestly think it would be huge for your ball striking if you did. i've had my cg14 bent to my specs as well. it's something that you'll be glad you did, i swear it!

I'll head over there tonight and see what they have to say. This may be an excuse to to get a new set of irons! Hehe.

Were you fit for your Machspeed TC? Was it altered at all?

I had all my wedges bent to my specs and it helped tremendously! My wedges were much too upright and now they are perfect. Made all the difference in the world. Go for it 9i.

I'll head over there tonight and see what they have to say. This may be an excuse to to get a new set of irons! Hehe.

Were you fit for your Machspeed TC? Was it altered at all?

i ordered the machspeed before it was released. it was ordered to my specs of 1/2'' longer and i am pretty sure that it's 1* upright. from what i gather, and i hope someone can either validate or correct me, companies can alter the lie angle of fwy woods and hybrids by 1* up or 1* down. does that sound right JB?

i ordered the machspeed before it was released. it was ordered to my specs of 1/2'' longer and i am pretty sure that it's 1* upright. from what i gather, and i hope someone can either validate or correct me, companies can alter the lie angle of fwy woods and hybrids by 1* up or 1* down. does that sound right JB?

Depends on the company and the club.

At GG we used to be bend cast clubs +/- 2 degrees. Not too long before I left we had gotten a new device that would bend hybrids as well(i know that definately depends on the OEM).

Depends on the company and the club.

thank you sir.

well, i know with the machspeed it's 1* up and according to the guy that i had order it, that's the most they could do.

Back