True Temper Iron Shaft Project

Well, maybe not tomorrow haha. I like to change my mind about stuff sometimes.

ha, you're so random setho!

have you gone through the shaftfit process? i'd be interested in what it suggests for you.

ha, you're so random setho!

have you gone through the shaftfit process? i'd be interested in what it suggests for you.

I have not, bit that sounds like something fun to do after I watch this movie tonight.

I have not, bit that sounds like something fun to do after I watch this movie tonight.

cool, i'll be interested to see the results.

OK, I did the fitting several times. With my new swing I gained some distance with my irons so I don't know if I am at 165 or 170 with my 7i. At 165, they suggest a stiff flex Rifle 5.0 or Dynamic Golf HL S300. At 170 it gives me HL X100 and Rifle 6.0. I need to get a good bead on my 7i distance once I get my clubs back. All I know is that I have been murdering the ball with my irons when my swing is in the slot. I would guess that I gained close to 10 yards. I pulled a 9 out of the bag where I had always used a 9 and I overshot the green. I semi nuked a 7 from some pretty thick rough about 175 out and put it pin high. I love this new swing man! Thanks for helping me with it.

I guess I got a little OT there. I will probably go to the course next week and hit my 7 on a flat hole. Probably hit about 10 shots and see the average distance as measured by my gps. I think I am borderline between an S and an X with my irons according to the online shaft fitting and my honest distances.

OK, I did the fitting several times. With my new swing I gained some distance with my irons so I don't know if I am at 165 or 170 with my 7i. At 165, they suggest a stiff flex Rifle 5.0 or Dynamic Golf HL S300. At 170 it gives me HL X100 and Rifle 6.0. I need to get a good bead on my 7i distance once I get my clubs back. All I know is that I have been murdering the ball with my irons when my swing is in the slot. I would guess that I gained close to 10 yards. I pulled a 9 out of the bag where I had always used a 9 and I overshot the green. I semi nuked a 7 from some pretty thick rough about 175 out and put it pin high. I love this new swing man! Thanks for helping me with it.

I guess I got a little OT there. I will probably go to the course next week and hit my 7 on a flat hole. Probably hit about 10 shots and see the average distance as measured by my gps. I think I am borderline between an S and an X with my irons according to the online shaft fitting and my honest distances.

cool stuff setho! i'm so happy to hear that you are digging the swing. i'm assuming that you are seeing a much straighter shot and that the ball is typically going where you are aiming? you are seeing less draws and pushes? i think that the shaftfit process will be perfect to the golfer who just can't or doesn't have easy access to a certified fitter.

i also know that you are a facebooker, i'd recommend become a fan or "liking" true temper's facebook page. they're very active there and i've found some great information there.

Very good information and I wanted to go out with the best. TC great job man and keep up the good work. I will see you all at the Florida outing so have a fun summer and enjoy the golfing and life period! Thanks for all the fun comments and laughs on here. You are one cool dude among many great guys & gals on this sie. I wish you all well and hope to see you in September!

Very good information and I wanted to go out with the best. TC great job man and keep up the good work. I will see you all at the Florida outing so have a fun summer and enjoy the golfing and life period! Thanks for all the fun comments and laughs on here. You are one cool dude among many great guys & gals on this sie. I wish you all well and hope to see you in September!

thanks gray, i'm a bit confused, your post seems like a good bye. what's up?

i'm so excited right now. i have a few things to wrap up in the office and then i'm off to drop the Rifle's off with the 22's so that they may be wed: through frustrations and in smiles, through rain and shine, I DO! i can't wait to get my irons to the range for some testing but i'm just going to have to be patient, plus it's ridiculously hot so maybe some time in the shop can mean cooler temperatures.

let me reiterate what i'm looking for and expecting: i am hoping for a lower, more penetrating ball flight; a little added distance; better accuracy.

You should just find a place with a lefty Mizuno Shaft Optimizer, they are available now.

You should just find a place with a lefty Mizuno Shaft Optimizer, they are available now.

Why? He does not play Mizunos. He plays Callaways and if you read his first post you will see that the point of this exercise is static fitting!

dexterity has always been an issue for me with demo'ing and fittings, but my geographic location plays a much larger role thainer. there's two golf shops here in asheville and both are privately owned. while the owners are very knowledgeable there's no way they have the capital to invest in fitting carts and optimizers, in fact, i don't think either even sell mizzies. so as a lefty, and with my location, a static fitting on true temper's shaftfit was ideal for me, and i think it could be very useful for other THP'ers who share similar limitations like me.

I am very interested in how this turns out. I think its a great experiment.

I am very interested in how this turns out. I think its a great experiment.

thanks ddec! i'm interested as well. i mean, i think we've all asked ourselves these questions: can an upgraded shaft really be that much better than stock? am i good enough to utilize what an upgraded shaft is suppose to offer? and most importantly, HOW DO I KNOW WHICH SHAFT IS RIGHT FOR ME? and i hope that the shaftfit is the answer.

thanks ddec! i'm interested as well. i mean, i think we've all asked ourselves these questions: can an upgraded shaft really be that much better than stock? am i good enough to utilize what an upgraded shaft is suppose to offer? and most importantly, HOW DO I KNOW WHICH SHAFT IS RIGHT FOR ME? and i hope that the shaftfit is the answer.

I tend to do this a lot with driver shafts. I try taking the static tests and looking a different specs online. I have put off changing the driver shaft until after the outing.

I tend to do this a lot with driver shafts. I try taking the static tests and looking a different specs online. I have put off changing the driver shaft until after the outing.

i think that's very wise! there'll be shafts and a launch monitor there. you'll be buying the perfect one as soon as you get home!!!!

well, i'm off folks! i have a scheduled appointment for the 22's at 11:30! i've not been this excited for quite some time.

well, i'm off folks! i have a scheduled appointment for the 22's at 11:30! i've not been this excited for quite some time.

Updates please!! Bring the PAIN!!!

Updates please!! Bring the PAIN!!!

the clubs will not be ready until at least tomorrow evening. i knew it was going to take a little time to have it done, but i want it done correctly.

i also selected my grips and went with the callaway tour velvets. basically, they're tour velvets but instead of "golf pride" written on them it has the chevron logo, i like that!!!!

JB, seems as though the stock shafts are parallel tipped and the rifle's are tapered, will this create any sort of problem for the installation. the shop owner said no, but it's all i've been thinking about since i left everything with him.

good luck TC hope all goes well and your swinging these bad boys with great success soon!

I think the shaft is the engine of the golf club. If you play the wrong shaft it's like driving a car whose engine is misfiring. I think you will be pleased with what you learn during your experiment. I too look forward to hearing what you have to say.

ps: I'm trying a new shaft today myself: KBS Tour 90 soft-stepped once.

good luck with the new "test drive" sean. i agree with you, the shaft is probably the most important part and for me, i never ever gave much thought to iron shafts. i always assumed that what came stock must've been good enough.

In the name of shaft testing and TC's experiment Im going to do the Mizuno shaft thing today.

In the name of shaft testing and TC's experiment Im going to do the Mizuno shaft thing today.

Why, you were just fitted for irons....I assume that they fit the shafts correct?

Back