I got 1 watch a casio g shock solar watch that cost 75.00 from Wallmart 7 years ago so I am not In your guys league I guess can't justify spending that kind of coin on a watch sorry.

Have and older Submariner (gold and sliver) that I do not wear any longer needs a lot of work the watch never really keep very accurate time. My Seiko and my simple Timex keeps a lot better time. Always liked the Tag watches had a nice sliver with black dial that I lost one of these days may replace. But for now will just keep it simple with my Timex or Seiko.

Have any of you looked at the Jorg Gray watches nice watch the Secret Service gave President Obama's one for his birthday in 2007. You can purchase a similar watch commemorative edition one line does not have the Secret Service logo on the face.

I have and love the Tag Huer watches. The one I have is over 20 years old and finally gave up the ghost last year. I sent it in to be fixed and they wanted 500 to fix it. More than Im willing to part with right now but I would love to get another Tag.

Really? I think the Swiss ETA movement is pretty darn accurate. Mine is almost always right on the mark.[/QUOTE]

Might be the model you have in particular, not sure, but i have known several people and have read several places that if you dont keep them it tip top order they tend to lose time faster than some other brands.

I'll see if I can find anything about it.

Please do. The ETA movement in general will never be as accurate as quartz. That just cannot happen based on the moving parts. Quartz is almost always more accurate. But it is a much more elegant movement with sweeping hands.

I have had zero trouble with the time on mine.

Ok, I went online and looked around. What I am beggining to think is that since Rolex is the one watch brand that EVERYONE knows they assume they are the standard high-end mechanical watch. Therefore, when they say a Rolex loses a couple seconds a month they think it is bad because a quartz keeps better time.

Therefore, a Rolex is no worse than an Omega, Breitling, etc.

Sorry that I was mistaken. I was going off of what I had been told by my girlfriends parents who own a couple rolexes and what I had heard elsewhere.

p.s. here is the Zenith Zero-G, it goes for $500,000

$500,000 Zenith Zero-G Watch | gadgettastic

I think you're right Gas, I know my girlfriend's dad winds his everyday as well...only one or two turns just to make sure it stays accurate.

the watch im most interested in is the Omega with Coaxial cause you dont have to get it serviced more than every 10 years as those sevice costs can cost ALOT.

Does anyone know the costs for some of these other brands like Breitling, Zenith, etc.?

You can get a watch winder as well. Most of my watches are powered by wearing them. A few by winding them. I have a plain black case that holds all of them. I have contemplated getting the winder boxes.

However I normally wear the Tag Heuer Tiger Woods watch that I got this year and that watch is quartz.

Does anyone know the costs for some of these other brands like Breitling, Zenith, etc.?

The Zenith I was looking at was around 8 grand. The GMT II was about the same price. If you can get your hands on the Milgauss with the Green Saphire it should go for about the same.

woops, sorry i wasnt clear about that, I was talking about the cost of getting the watch serviced and how often you need to get it serviced.

any updates yet?

I myself am i watchguy too (partly has to do with my job, but its a passion too)

Do you guys wear your watches during a round of golf? I don't think you should wear a mechanical watch during golf, the mechanism just can't handle the shocks.

JB, did you get that TW tagheuer? Are you happy about it?

I myself have a Breitling, Bell&Ross, Panerai and a Hublot

Do you guys wear your watches during a round of golf? I don't think you should wear a mechanical watch during golf, the mechanism just can't handle the shocks.

You got my attention now. I always wear mine.

I'm not saying you're watch will break when playing golf ... but it will certainly increase the odds :(
Although I know a lot of people who play wearing a watch and their watches never missed a beat...

But since a family member (who is a watchmaker) pointed out to me how fragile the inside of a mechanical watch is... I'm rather cautious wearing a 2k+ watch on the course...

I never wear mine. Not because it can't take it, but because it's pretty heavy. I have a Corum Adminral's Cup. I have a nice Chronoswiss a Tissot and a few others as well, but I don't wear them on the course either because of the wear it causes to the leather straps. I am pretty sure any watch at that level (Omega, Zenith, IWC, Corum, Rolex, Chronoswiss etc etc) can easily take the shock of a swing.

On the course I have a 1950's manual wind Omega DeVille with a cheap leather strap. Light as a feather.

That thing is insane.

I think the accuracy matters on how often you wear them. I wear mine everyday but if you let it sit for a couple of days it will be off. Thats just how mechanical watches work.

Yep, you will never have a mechanical watch that keeps 'perfect time'. But so what. You are paying for the workmanship- it is a piece of art as well as a watch. That's why I don't understand why anyone would buy a quartz version of a high end watch. It's like buying a Ferrari with the engine from a Honda civic. Sure it will get you where you want to go and never beak down- but come on!

any updates yet?

I myself am i watchguy too (partly has to do with my job, but its a passion too)

JB, did you get that TW tagheuer? Are you happy about it?

I myself have a Breitling, Bell&Ross, Panerai and a Hublot

I did get it. There are some pictures floating around here somewhere.

I'm not saying you're watch will break when playing golf ... but it will certainly increase the odds :(
Although I know a lot of people who play wearing a watch and their watches never missed a beat...

But since a family member (who is a watchmaker) pointed out to me how fragile the inside of a mechanical watch is... I'm rather cautious wearing a 2k+ watch on the course...

I dont play with a watch on at all.
With the brands mentioned, "2k" is a huge understatement. Those babies are significantly more.

Yep, you will never have a mechanical watch that keeps 'perfect time'. But so what. You are paying for the workmanship- it is a piece of art as well as a watch. That's why I don't understand why anyone would buy a quartz version of a high end watch. It's like buying a Ferrari with the engine from a Honda civic. Sure it will get you where you want to go and never beak down- but come on!

But if they are art, some admire the exterior as the beauty. I have a couple of quartz watches. I pick a watch for what it looks like primarily. I have a Franck Muller Crazy Hours that if I had the choice, I would have loved it to be quartz. With all the jumping hands, they would need less service.

After about 12 years without a watch my wife got me a Tissot, Moonphase on our anniversary.
I don't wear it when I play.

attachment.php

I don't golf in a watch

That said- the only brand I will ever own is skagen. Impossibly thin, very light,

Yep, these brands I mentioned all go easily above 2k ..
I said 2k because I have one other mechanical watch I didn't mention because it's a small rather unknown brand (Steffen Antwerp, 1.900€)

I'm still not sure whether 'complex' movements are supposed to absorb the shocks ...:beat-up:

Nothing wrong with Quartz! they are very accurate and require almost no service + financially they are often more attractive... but it just doesn't has the prestige because they require less craftsmanship to produce

Nothing wrong with Quartz! they are very accurate and require almost no service + financially they are often more attractive... but it just doesn't has the prestige because they require less craftsmanship to produce

I know some do and that is great, but prestige plays little role for me. Certainly it was what attracted me to certain brands, well that and reputation, but mostly I choose mine based on appearance only.

IBut if they are art, some admire the exterior as the beauty. I have a couple of quartz watches. I pick a watch for what it looks like primarily. I have a Franck Muller Crazy Hours that if I had the choice, I would have loved it to be quartz. With all the jumping hands, they would need less service.

True. And you are right, the exerior look is certianly part of the appeal. In fact for a while the indistry was all about quartz accuracy. Lots of good mechanical movement companies went bust in the 70's and 80's because of quartz and digital. Even Omega and other high ends had to start making quartz to keep up. The profit margine on those must still be massive.

But the appeal faded and in the 90's people started realizing that the interior of their 2K Omega was almost the same as a 20.00 Timex. There will always be a place for quartz and there is no question that is it more accurate and more robust. But I am very glad to see so many niche mechanical brands back now.

Here is the one I want... I am only about 10K short...

jlc_sm.jpg

My Tag TW is actually a quartz movement. Its funny because I have a nice little collection, but I always grab that one because it is more casual.

I could very easily become a watch ho, so I no longer wear one at all, lol. When my last one stopped I had to use the cell phone for time all week during a trip and have just continued ever since.

lol same here duey! just so used to it now!

I could very easily become a watch ho, so I no longer wear one at all, lol. When my last one stopped I had to use the cell phone for time all week during a trip and have just continued ever since.

Back