Even though it isn't hollowed out like a cavity, It is still considered a cavity back iron.

I'd classify it under the Super Game Improvement or the Game Improvement.

DD posted the Callaway Irons that look almost exactly like these and are under the SGI.

Cool, thanks guys. I really had no clue, since the 5 iron lools like someone lopped off the front half of a normal hybrid and shaped it like an iron. That thing is hefty!

I like them as they look cool, though my shots usually don't! Player's cavity and MB's just feel right to me.

i play musclebacks. i dont really consider it ego that much, they work best for me. i am getting a hybrid to replace my 3 iron but otherwise i hit them well

I had this discussion with my uncle, who is a scratch handicap and plays cavity backs one night. I went from full cavitys to my MP-32s. I think it was ego, honestly. When I started playing with the Mizunos, I respected the blades to the point that I feared them. I never swung too hard, I just tried to hit the ball flush. This made my iron game so much better. Doing this gave my swing a good tempo and all the other little things. Playing the blades like that really improved my game a lot. You just hit the ball flush and let the club do the work.

Now Jak, let me ask you. I fyou take those same swing thoughts and actions and put them on a players cavity, according to research you would be a better player correct? That is what both the club makers and the pros seem to say.

I think it has to do with ego. A lot of people seem to think that if they play a, "player's" iron that its going to make them a better player and that somehow if they can learn how to hit blades, it makes them better than the unwashed masses who play CBs.
Personally, I love the way that blades look (especially clubs like the Mizuno MP-67s and the Titleist ZBs), but I know that I dont have the swing to hit them well.
I'll take pretty shots over pretty clubs any day. Golf is hard enough, no sense in making it harder.

It's all ego JB, mostly juniors as well. They play blades because to them it shows other players how good they are. They think they are acheiving something better and are better than the rest if they play Blades. they all fool themselves.

Tend to agree with the "all ego" comments. And particularly what Dent said here about juniors. From my experience it is people that dont know anything about equipment that hold the "blades are better FULL STOP" opinion.

An example is a friend of mine...we all started golf last year, and he has a lot of natural talent....shoots 3-5 above par average. He is obsessed that he should get some blades soon because "thats what good players use".

It's all ego. At least in my circles.

Some players grew up using them and are just not receptive to change.

AJ,
That described me for many years. I learned on them and didnt want to change.

I started on the blades, but after the first time using a set of CB's I never really wanted to go back. It was like night and day, especially on mis-hits. :beat-up:

I started out playing an old set of Hogan blades, but it took me about 5 minutes of hitting cavity-backs to make me realize that CBs are more forgiving and easier to hit.
Oh and about supposedly being able to work the ball better with blades, Id say we all work the ball to a certain degree, just not always in the direction that we intend to.

I'm really having a tough time getting over my ego right now to be honest. I really like the feel of the MP-62's but with my practice regime or lack there of I would be much better off with something from the MX line or Cally X-22 tours.

If you like your MP-62s and hit them well, I say go with them. If you find that your skills deteriorate from not practicing and your swing is wreck, you may want to consider investing in a set of SGI irons like the MX-100, MX-200 or MX-950s (assuming you want to stay with Mizuno).

If you like your MP-62s and hit them well, I say go with them. If you find that your skills deteriorate from not practicing and your swing is wreck, you may want to consider investing in a set of SGI irons like the MX-100, MX-200 or MX-950s (assuming you want to stay with Mizuno).

No I'm not a strict Mizuno guy and my game is not at the point that I want SGI, just something with a larger cavity like the CG7's or Nike Full Cavity. I may compromise and go for the MP-52's they are still clean looking with more forgiveness than the 62's.

MP-52s would be a good option. They have the pocket cavity and the power bar like what the MX irons have (for high launch and more forgivness on misshits), but are much more like the rest of the MP line because they dont have a thick line and have slightly smaller heads than what the MX line has.
Glad to hear you're strictly a Mizuno guy. Its always nice to talk to a fellow golfer who prays to the altar of Mizuno.

I just have to get out and demo when my spirits are up to it.

Having used and reviewed both the CG7 and the Nike Full caivty, I can say those are two great sets.

Now Jak, let me ask you. I fyou take those same swing thoughts and actions and put them on a players cavity, according to research you would be a better player correct? That is what both the club makers and the pros seem to say.

This would, indeed, make sense. But I just got my blades last year and don't want to pony the money up for the Victory Red split cavities as much as they intrigue me. When I bought those, I planned on it being a few years before I replaced them. So it comes down to money more than anything else. But yes, in principle, I agree with your statement.

Reactions: JB
I can't seem to pull myself away from my blades. I've been playing them for almost 2 years now and my ball flight with them is so predictable.

I concur, ego is a huge part of it. I get the old answer from some folks "I can work the ball better with blades", yup you sure worked that ball right into that big ole group of trees.

The game is hard enough as it is, why not give yourself a break & use some nice cavity irons?

I know plenty of people that play blades that should not be. I know plenty that play them and SHOULD be plying them. I have a buddy that is an amateur but a great iron player, he hits the ball dead center of the clubface every time. He may have the blade a little open or closed but that is besides the point. He is a 7 handicap.

Hitting the ball just about dead center everytime there is NO reason to play a cavity back. Cavity backs are to help MISS-HITS not a slighty open or closed blade. He has no need to play cavity backs.

I am a 2 handicap and played blades and micro-cavities in college and I know am playing Callaway X-tours. They are not blades. However after testing the ARC blades vs. my X-tours I hit the ball just as well with the ARC blades. Do I lose some forgiveness with the 3 iron and 4 iron? Yeah, I do. However I do not play a 3 iron anyway and I can count on one hand the number of times I an iron longer than a 7 during a round of golf. Even playing the tips I may need the 4 and 5 iron maybe 6 times on par 5's and 3's. I am a good long iron player to begin with so I am not losing anything by switching.

I think tour players making blanket statements like that are somewhat mis-leading. The players that will pay attention to what the tour player says they should play this more than likely are not good enough to be playing blades anyway. Good players know a lot more about their equipment that the average guys and no tour player is going to convince my buddy to put down his blades or me to not try the ARC blades.

It really just depends on your game. Personally, I have not found blades to be more challenging than my old cavity backs, really. I am a pretty good ball-striker, however. My long irons tend to stray more on mishits than they did before, but the lesson there is hit the ball right. It works for me, but certainly doesn't for everybody of my handicap. I am sure there are players with higher handicaps than mine who have the ball striking to justify blades, and players with lower handicaps who don't.

SSB, the description of your buddy is pretty much me.

they are nice to look at... =)

I'm playing a progressive set... I don't really wan't to, but a new set of irons (cavity, hopefully) takes some saving up for :p

I'm playing a progressive set... I don't really wan't to, but a new set of irons (cavity, hopefully) takes some saving up for :p

same... I had Titleist 735CM's, wish I never sold them

Back