I see more & more pro's bagging at least a few cavity back clubs in their bags. If they are good enough for the best golfers in the world, they are good enough for me.

Dyna,
A recent Darrel Survey had 70% of the Nationwide and PGA tours playing cavity backs for the last few tournies.

My opinion is why make the game harder than it already is. If I could hit the perfect golf shot every time I swung a club, then I would play blades. Since, I don't, I play cavity backs (Cally FT's).

My husband plays Mizuno MP-32's and loves them. They have been in his bag for 3 years. He hits them very well and extremely far.

I do like the look of them and have hit his a few times. The feel is buttery. However, I still prefer my clubs. :act-up:

pretty much because I play at relatively short golf courses... if I belonged to a really tough club that was long and well protected with sand and water I'd make the change back to cavity but until that day comes I don't see the difficulty in hitting a blade 7-PW

If I had the money, I would atleast play blades 8-PW, or 7-PW. Just the looks and feel alone are enough to sell me.

Spoiler
nike_irons_vr_forgedtw.jpg
smoked_TP_LG.jpg

Floppy, I agree some on the looks. But you can get just as much feel out of CBs nowadays. Amollerud and I did a comparison on that very thing today.

my biggest problem with blades is distance loss... I dont really hook or slice any my irons its just getting the club to get to the pin

I cant hit a 5 iron blade 185 yards

my biggest problem with blades is distance loss... I dont really hook or slice any my irons its just getting the club to get to the pin

I cant hit a 5 iron blade 185 yards

Wait, do you mean to say you lose distance with blades?

To be honest, I don't notice much of a difference in distance between my blades and my old cavity backs- more in the 3-6i range, but none really in the short irons.

I have not heard of the distance loss with blades before. Normally a well struck blade will add a slight difference.

Wait, do you mean to say you lose distance with blades?

To be honest, I don't notice much of a difference in distance between my blades and my old cavity backs- more in the 3-6i range, but none really in the short irons.

just a smaller sweetspot, fly a little less

short irons, no... but longer irons I have lost distance from my older irons *735cms

I think for a number of players the ego plays a big part of it. For me it is fitting a club to the player. I hit a very high ball and create a lot of spin. For me the cavity back have a much lower center of gravity and even if they are players clubs they are designed to hit the ball higher. I like the feel workability and looks of the forged cavity backs but to get them to work for me I have to play a 6.0 rifle (not project x's) or like an X-100 shaft for the weight to help bring my ball flight down. It makes the club very heavy and I have to work that much harder to get the ball moving. For some better players the blades are a better fit.

Ego most definitely has something to do with it. I also played blades growing up. In the last few years in an effort to expand my horizons I have owned Cobra SSi's (wanted to go extreme), R7 TP's, MP-60's(great clubs), and now Victory Blades. For me the reason to switch back was the feel of the new Nike Blades and I'm not talking about that butter feel as the 60's had it. For me it was the perfect weight/look/performance, they just felt perfect in my fingers. A pleasant surprise was the forgiveness, its there. First thing I was ever taught, if you like what you see when looking down, it's good enough and I love what I see when I look down these days. My ego is happy as well hehe.

I got the ARC blades today and hit them some more. These may say ARC BLADES but they are in no way shape or form true "blades". I hit them longer, higher and they were more forgiving than my Callaway X-Tours.

Here is the write up from their webpage and it seems spot on to me.

A true forged iron for the player looking for a classic iron updated with the most current technology. The blade design has Accelerated Rebound Core (ARC) technology, which creates an internal cavity that allows the club to have the effect of perimeter weighting. It works like a corked bat. This results in an iron with the look and feel of a true muscle back with the playability and ease of use of a modern cavity back.

SSB,
That is why the THP teaching pro says that they are the best irons he has ever used.

I just bought a set of cavity backs today. I had been using some 18 year old blades but was just too cheap to replace them. The cavity backs are so much easier to hit. I swung lots of them before I bought these. Can't wait to try 'em out on the course.

I do think some guys are hitting blades simply because they believe "good players" hit them.

I was playing a couple weeks ago and got paired with two other guys. My buddy was playing lights-out. At about hole 17 one of the other guys says "well, with those cavity back clubs you can score well with lots of mis-hits"

It was like he was cheating or something. Hey, if you choose to hit blades don't complain when someone else doesn't and drags you up and down the golf course :)

I was playing a couple weeks ago and got paired with two other guys. My buddy was playing lights-out. At about hole 17 one of the other guys says "well, with those cavity back clubs you can score well with lots of mis-hits"

It was like he was cheating or something. Hey, if you choose to hit blades don't complain when someone else doesn't and drags you up and down the golf course :)

C-Hook,
How hard was it for your buddy not to poke that guy in his good eye? What are some people thinking?
I have been a blade player for most of my golfing life. It is what I want to see when I look down at the clubhead, nothing more. I have gone to Eye 2's and I3-blades from time to time, but always gravitate back to forged blades, who knows why, the PINGs are about as good as they come for perimeter weighted clubs.
All that being said, I now have the sweetest set of combo irons in my bag and am as comfortable hitting the 4-iron as I am the PW, so for me, that is success.
THANK GOD FOR HYBRIDS, THOUGH, LMAO!!!!!!
LaMont in AZ

I got the ARC blades today and hit them some more. These may say ARC BLADES but they are in no way shape or form true "blades". I hit them longer, higher and they were more forgiving than my Callaway X-Tours.

Here is the write up from their webpage and it seems spot on to me.

A true forged iron for the player looking for a classic iron updated with the most current technology. The blade design has Accelerated Rebound Core (ARC) technology, which creates an internal cavity that allows the club to have the effect of perimeter weighting. It works like a corked bat. This results in an iron with the look and feel of a true muscle back with the playability and ease of use of a modern cavity back.

SSB,
That is why the THP teaching pro says that they are the best irons he has ever used.

they may not have a cavity but their sole is the same width as a Titleist AP2, maybe even a little thicker

I have MacGregor Pro M Blades, their soles are half the thickness of the Nickents

they may not have a cavity but their sole is the same width as a Titleist AP2, maybe even a little thicker

I have MacGregor Pro M Blades, their soles are half the thickness of the Nickents

I LOVE the Pro M blades, I'm really tempted to buy myself a set of their blades. I prefer the gunmetal finish, but wouldn't mind gaming either finish. I demo'd the CBs last October, loved how they felt, but I wanted the blades and they didn't have them.

I play Mizuno blades in my 6-PW, and cavity back in my 3, 4,& 5. I love the feel, workability, and top line on the blades.

The AP2's really interest me (Ben Curtis, proud greater Cleveland Native, plays them), but they are a grand for the set. Ouch

ATJ,
If you like those you will love the Split Cavity and the 4DX Pro even more. Possibly the Cleveland CG Tour as well.

JB,

The Split cavities look great, but no Nike for me. I'm not in the market for new irons, I just like to look. The Clevelands are great looking- surprised me, don't like the look of most of their clubs.

I switched from the Split cavities to the Nickent 4DX Pros because to me they are the softest iron out there.

I switched from the Split cavities to the Nickent 4DX Pros because to me they are the softest iron out there.

I have no issue with the softness of my mizunos. I hit them on a slowly rising flight path, then they come down soft. If I can hold a green with a 3 iron, I am quite happy. Tiny sweet spot, but as I have said before, that keeps me honest with my swing.

Back