Yani Tseng wants to play against the men

I hope she does it. I like Yani a lot, and like watching her play even more. JB started a thread a while back about her being the most dominate golfer in the world, or something along those lines, and I believe she very well may be. She's a fabulous player, and usually looks like she's having fun while she's out there.

Kevin

See Annika Sorenstam and Michelle Wie.

And Suzy Whaley, who actually qualified to be in a PGA Tour Event. No Sponsors exemption needed for her

See Annika Sorenstam and Michelle Wie.

I disagree. I think Annika's game is completely different than Yani's game... and I think Michelle's mental fortitude is completely different than that of Yani's.

She's won 11 tournaments this year. She wants the learning experience. She'd like to test herself.

Here's a poor analogy: if a golfer was playing the middle tees all the time and constantly shooting in the mid-60s don't you think at some point he might want to try the back tees just to see what he could do?

I hope she doesn't. I know she is really good, but I still think it is a waste of time.

She's won 11 tournaments this year. She wants the learning experience. She'd like to test herself.

Here's a poor analogy: if a golfer was playing the middle tees all the time and constantly shooting in the mid-60s don't you think at some point he might want to try the back tees just to see what he could do?

I know what you mean, but I think a lot of people would object to the idea that she be allowed to use the Tour as a fun learning experience.

I hope she gets to play an event and I guarantee you that I will be watching. She is not Michelle or Anika and she may have a great showing if she gets over nerves. Absolutely nothing wrong with playing at the pinnacle if you have the game to do so (which she does) and the ability to get in to an event. I would much rather see her get an exemption than John Freakin Daly.

Good for her. I don't see why not!

It may get a few people to tune in to the LPGA to watch her play if she does well in a men's event. That's a good thing.

Kevin

I know what you mean, but I think a lot of people would object to the idea that she be allowed to use the Tour as a fun learning experience.

Let me ask it this way. Lets say Tiger Woods decides he is going to play in an event that he knows at this point he cannot compete to win, but might make a splash here and there, but is out there to gauge how good he is playing would you object to it? Of course not, because he is part of the tour.

Now lets say the same thing about Mike Weir and that he gets a sponsors exemption, but has not broken 80 in 6 months, but is there to gauge where he stands. Is there a problem there? Would you say "Go to Q-School and qualify". I mean technically neither are members of the tour and both have about as much shot as the other of making the cut. Heck many might say Yani Tseng has a better chance at making the cut.

The rules state she is allowed if invited and its great for both tours for publicity. Im not sure what negatives are there at all.

B/c some people don't want to see a woman competing on a "man's" tour. I could care less. She won't make the cut.

Well, looking at her stats and looking at some people who qualify for the PGA tour, she is as good or better than many of them. In Fact, driving distance is the only thing they beat her in. Even World #1 Luke Donald only has 1 more top ten finish than her. Driving accuracy is about even and she has a higher percentage of GIR. I think she could hang with the boys, and as she said, she isn't interested in competing with them, she just wants to learn from them

Well, looking at her stats and looking at some people who qualify for the PGA tour, she is as good or better than many of them. In Fact, driving distance is the only thing they beat her in. Even World #1 Luke Donald only has 1 more top ten finish than her. Driving accuracy is about even and she has a higher percentage of GIR. I think she could hang with the boys, and as she said, she isn't interested in competing with them, she just wants to learn from them

If that is the case, can that not be done outside a tournament? I mean, if she plays in a PGA tour event, she is competing with them.

B/c some people don't want to see a woman competing on a "man's" tour. I could care less. She won't make the cut.

And that right there is a shame. Because the PGA Tour is not a man's tour, but a tour that is supposed to symbolize excellence.

And that right there is a shame. Because the PGA Tour is not a man's tour, but a tour that is supposed to symbolize excellence.

Of course it's a shame, but prejudices exist everywhere. It's admirable why she wants to do it, and maybe she should pursue it.

I say let her play a Tour event if she is invited or if she qualifys for it. More power to her. If she wants to tee it up with the men in a competitive environment, why not in a non-sanctioned event like the Tavistock Cup. She's a member at Lake Nona and is eligible so maybe we'll see her there next Spring. The only drawback to that is the length issue.

Let me ask it this way. Lets say Tiger Woods decides he is going to play in an event that he knows at this point he cannot compete to win, but might make a splash here and there, but is out there to gauge how good he is playing would you object to it? Of course not, because he is part of the tour.

Now lets say the same thing about Mike Weir and that he gets a sponsors exemption, but has not broken 80 in 6 months, but is there to gauge where he stands. Is there a problem there? Would you say "Go to Q-School and qualify". I mean technically neither are members of the tour and both have about as much shot as the other of making the cut. Heck many might say Yani Tseng has a better chance at making the cut.

The rules state she is allowed if invited and its great for both tours for publicity. Im not sure what negatives are there at all.

I for some reason do think its different to give exemptions to a pair of Masters champions (using your example) than to a woman who is from a different tour.
I know its not right to say, but I dont like the idea of the women giving the men's tour a shot. I also would not like the idea of an amazing WNBA player being allowed to play a few games on an NBA team. I am not saying she isn't dominant, she is, but I just don't like the idea of her using the tour and being a gimmick.

I say let her play a Tour event if she is invited or if she qualifys for it. More power to her. If she wants to tee it up with the men in a competitive environment, why not in a non-sanctioned event like the Tavistock Cup. She's a member at Lake Nona and is eligible so maybe we'll see her there next Spring. The only drawback to that is the length issue.

Happened a few years ago when Annika was still on the LPGA Tour. I believe she played against Paula Creamer too?

What if she finished top 20? Do you think that would make people mad?

If that is the case, can that not be done outside a tournament? I mean, if she plays in a PGA tour event, she is competing with them.

Outside an event there is not the same pressure, so a totally different experience. She's got the goods to play with the men, why not let her?

I for some reason do think its different to give exemptions to a pair of Masters champions (using your example) than to a woman who is from a different tour.
I know its not right to say, but I dont like the idea of the women giving the men's tour a shot. I also would not like the idea of an amazing WNBA player being allowed to play a few games on an NBA team. I am not saying she isn't dominant, she is, but I just don't like the idea of her using the tour and being a gimmick.

The PGA Tour is not the "mens tour" and last I checked, she has quite a few majors herself.
The Euro Tour is not part of the PGA Tour, nor is the Asian Tour, should they not get exemptions either? If you are going to give an exemption to someone from one of those tours it is technically no different than giving one to Yani.

Im still struggling to see a single negative that comes out of it.

Outside an event there is not the same pressure, so a totally different experience. She's got the goods to play with the men, why not let her?

If it's about the pressure, she already gets that in the tournaments she plays. Not like she easily walks over and dominates everything she enters (although she does at some).

What is she trying to learn from the men exactly that can only be learned in a tournament? I just think it's about the competition and not necessarily learning.

Just need to call it what it is. If she wants to prove herself against the best in the world, then say it and get out there but don't say that it's just to learn something.

Let her come out and play with the big boys, but ONLY if it's the first tournament that eldrick plays next year. Might as well make the circus as huge as possible.

The PGA Tour is not the "mens tour" and last I checked, she has quite a few majors herself.
The Euro Tour is not part of the PGA Tour, nor is the Asian Tour, should they not get exemptions either? If you are going to give an exemption to someone from one of those tours it is technically no different than giving one to Yani.

This is just a question, because I honestly would like to see it, but would she be taking a spot from someone else that would have nowhere to go and is trying to earn a living, or would all of the typical spots be open, and she be added to the field?

I think it comes down to personal feelings. I do believe, right or wrong, that if you asked 100 people, the majority would see negatives with it. Maybe to go backwards a little here, if a woman went through Q-School, qualified for the tour and earned her way there, people would see it less of a publicity stunt and take her seriously. Maybe she doesn't "have to" due to exemptions, but maybe she should anyway.

Somehow not doing that, just wanting to tee it up once or twice with the guys to see what happens, makes it feel cheap.

Back