Yani Tseng wants to play against the men

This is just a question, because I honestly would like to see it, but would she be taking a spot from someone else that would have nowhere to go and is trying to earn a living, or would all of the typical spots be open, and she be added to the field?

Not with an exemption. They dont really go out to up and comers looking for a check.

I think it comes down to personal feelings. I do believe, right or wrong, that if you asked 100 people, the majority would see negatives with it. Maybe to go backwards a little here, if a woman went through Q-School, qualified for the tour and earned her way there, people would see it less of a publicity stunt and take her seriously. Maybe she doesn't "have to" due to exemptions, but maybe she should anyway.

Somehow not doing that, just wanting to tee it up once or twice with the guys to see what happens, makes it feel cheap.

But publicity is exactly what a sponsors exemption is for. Just like having Mike Weir out at an event when everybody knows he cannot make the cut right now (using the examples from 2011 season). That is the entire point of the exemption. For a draw. This brings a draw to two tours.

I guess I am still wondering. What is the negative? Outside of the feelings that its a mens tour (which is false) and its about giving spots to only PGA Tour members (also false). What is the negative? If she succeeds than all the power to her and it gives some life to the LPGA. If she fails, then it becomes something that fans got to see and enjoy and still brings life to an event and the LPGA.

b/c 99% of the people out there don't know that the PGA Tour isn't a men's tour. I would assume most people would think it is a men's tour and that this girl is shaking up stuff.

I don't really know what's going on here. If a sponsor wants her to play then so be it. I don't think she'll be successful but that's ok.

Thanks for the reply JB, I wasn't sure how it worked.

Not with an exemption. They dont really go out to up and comers looking for a check.

But publicity is exactly what a sponsors exemption is for. Just like having Mike Weir out at an event when everybody knows he cannot make the cut right now (using the examples from 2011 season). That is the entire point of the exemption. For a draw. This brings a draw to two tours.

I guess I am still wondering. What is the negative? Outside of the feelings that its a mens tour (which is false) and its about giving spots to only PGA Tour members (also false). What is the negative? If she succeeds than all the power to her and it gives some life to the LPGA. If she fails, then it becomes something that fans got to see and enjoy and still brings life to an event and the LPGA.

Can you explain a little how it works maybe? Can anyone play then on a sponsor's exemption? So with the NBA lockout, a smaller event could give LeBron an exemption for publicity reasons and that would be cool?

So would you feel the same way if I had a buddy that offered me or anyone not on Tour a spot in an event? Or is it just that she is women? Just asking not trying to start nothing...
I think it comes down to personal feelings. I do believe, right or wrong, that if you asked 100 people, the majority would see negatives with it. Maybe to go backwards a little here, if a woman went through Q-School, qualified for the tour and earned her way there, people would see it less of a publicity stunt and take her seriously. Maybe she doesn't "have to" due to exemptions, but maybe she should anyway.

Somehow not doing that, just wanting to tee it up once or twice with the guys to see what happens, makes it feel cheap.

Can you explain a little how it works maybe? Can anyone play then on a sponsor's exemption? So with the NBA lockout, a smaller event could give LeBron an exemption for publicity reasons and that would be cool?

Actually in many ways yes. Earlier this year, the CEO of the company sponsoring the event actually gave himself a sponsors exemption. Due to fallout (because he could not break 90 from the tees), he moved himself out, but they give a select number of sponsors exemptions to bring publicity. Its how guys like Daly keep getting into events frankly.

Im not a huge fan of players jumping around on tours in reality, but in these special cases, I think it does a great job of bringing viewers to the LPGA (which needs them badly) as well as most likely a smaller PGA Tour event.

I think it would be good for both men and women's golf! She is better prepared than Michelle Wie was and can handle the pressure better at this point in her career. Let's see what she's got. Shake ya booty like Hawk's Gal says and get it on :bananadance:....

The PGA Tour is not the "mens tour" and last I checked, she has quite a few majors herself.
The Euro Tour is not part of the PGA Tour, nor is the Asian Tour, should they not get exemptions either? If you are going to give an exemption to someone from one of those tours it is technically no different than giving one to Yani.

Im still struggling to see a single negative that comes out of it.

What if she just gets destroyed by the field (and maybe multiple times)? Could that not bring negative press/perception to the LPGA? I'm not saying that will happen, but what if it does? Perception is reality-there might be viewers out there that assume "wow, she got smoked. She sucks and she yet she dominates the LPGA? No reason for me to tune into a LPGA event and watch a bunch of hackers".
Far fetched? yes. Impossible? no.

What if she just gets destroyed by the field (and maybe multiple times)? Could that not bring negative press/perception to the LPGA? I'm not saying that will happen, but what if it does? Perception is reality-there might be viewers out there that assume "wow, she got smoked. She sucks and she yet she dominates the LPGA? No reason for me to tune into a LPGA event and watch a bunch of hackers".
Far fetched? yes. Impossible? no.

If it were a healthy tour, I might think yes. But in its current state, absolutely not.

I am for it and would be watching to see how she does. If you look at her from her perspective, what is the next mountain to climb, and I think a PGA tour event is it.

So would you feel the same way if I had a buddy that offered me or anyone not on Tour a spot in an event? Or is it just that she is women? Just asking not trying to start nothing...

I would without a doubt feel the same way, you should not be playing on the Tour nor should I. I like to watch a competition of the best at their sport and we would not be included. Yani would not either on the Tour in my opinion but thats another argument entirely.

This whole sponsors exemption thing seems like the bigger issue here, as I understand JB's explanation of it, it seems to hurt the integrity of the competition.

Why is everyone concerned about how it would end up? What does it matter to you if she just ends up not doing well? Some people make it seem as if it is a horrible waste of their time to even entertain the idea. Golf programs always show the same 5-6 people, with few exceptions.. even #1 in the world Luke Donald is on the short end of that stick. So she gets 2-4 days of TV time. Big deal, it is no inconvenience to anyone.

In some sports you tend to "play up" to your competition. The male golf professionals have more tournaments per year and thus, they have more experience. I think that her desire to learn from the people that have a greater knowledge of the game in some aspects is admirable. I don't know that she is doing it as a way to suggest that she has conquered the LPGA and is now going for the men's tours.

Reactions: JB
I for some reason do think its different to give exemptions to a pair of Masters champions (using your example) than to a woman who is from a different tour.
I know its not right to say, but I dont like the idea of the women giving the men's tour a shot. I also would not like the idea of an amazing WNBA player being allowed to play a few games on an NBA team. I am not saying she isn't dominant, she is, but I just don't like the idea of her using the tour and being a gimmick.

Some tour events need a gimmick to get anyone to watch. What is wrong if 2nd level tour event let's her in to create some buzz and raise ratings.

Sent from HTC EVO using Tapatalk.

Huh. This would be interesting. I wonder if she could win from their tees? Doubt it.

That would be really cool, imagine a playoff between the two numer 1s, Luke Donald and her

I don't have a problem with her wanting to play a PGA event, and wish her the best if she does. Based on prior attempts by women, however, I suspect the outcome to be one of the following:

1. She makes the cut, but is not a factor on the weekend. - this is the best case scenario for her and women's golf. She would get some tv coverage and might bring some publicity to the LPGA.

2. She fails to make the cut. - I don't think this helps her or the LPGA. She comes across as the "dominant" player on an irrelevant tour. Sure, there would be publicity, but I don't think it would bring more money or viewers to the LPGA.

I think Yani is a great golfer and her accomplishments stand on their own. Neither of the above scenarios validate her greatness. Her chances of really competing are negligible, imo, if purely based on length (Yani averages 268 off the tee, which is shorter than the shortest PGA tour player (Brian Gay at 270) and far short of the average PGA distance of 291). I think she would struggle on any course of length.

I have to agree with most of the posts here. The distance thing is going to be a big issue. I could be wrong and I wish her the best.

If Yanni is good enough golfer to compete she should be allowed to play on the PGA. Yanni should be as good a player as some of the PGA players if she is going to play in a PGA tournament. Nowhere have I seen if she plays straight up or if she gets strokes taken off her score when she plays at home with PGA players. Otherwise the tournament she plays in should be part of the "Silly Season".

I think that, if she wants to do this for experience reasons, she should go for it. I do think that the PGA would play it up like a gimmick though, which would undermine the real reason that she wants to be there...to become an even better golfer than she already is. Isn't that everyone's goal?

I do think that, as scrubs said earlier, if she fails to make the cut, it does hurt her and the LPGA because she will be seen as a sideshow...not a dominant golfer, as she has proven to be on her tour.

Happened a few years ago when Annika was still on the LPGA Tour. I believe she played against Paula Creamer too?

That's right. Annika and Paula played against each other but I believe from a different set of tees than the men in the competition. I think Yani wants to play the same course
the men play. Isleworth and Lake Nona are fairly long as the men play them in the Tavistock. I've heard people mention the RBC event in Hilton Head which may be an even
better Tour stop for her 'experiment' as it isn't overly long for her length and places a premium on accuracy and course management.

I have to agree with most of the posts here. The distance thing is going to be a big issue. I could be wrong and I wish her the best.

Her average measured drives last season is more than Brian Gay's average of all measured drives last season. Short, yes... but not out of the realm of contention.

And, btw... she is only 6 yards less than the #1 player in the world based on all his measured drives last season (2011 PGA TOUR Driving Distance - All Drives).

Her average measured drives last season is more than Brian Gay's average of all measured drives last season. Short, yes... but not out of the realm of contention.

And, btw... she is only 6 yards less than the #1 player in the world based on all his measured drives last year.

That's very interesting. I was wondering how she compared.

Brian Gay vs. Yani Tseng. From the tips on a PGA Tour event. I'll put money on BG every time. I don't care how far she hits it. She isn't the long iron player that these guys are. All too often the girls with her length hit driver/mid-short irons on their par 4's. He'd win 99/100 times.

I'd put my money on Yani. As for the talk about her missing the cut not being good for her tour I'd have to disagree. How many Cuts has TW missing in the last 2 years? People still insist he's good for the game.

Back