"Yes We Can" - Do You Believe In It?

Status
Not open for further replies.
AJ,
THere was nothing meant to be offensive in my post. But to think that millions of black Americans voted for the first time in their lives because they he was a democrat is crazy. The statistics say point blank that this was the largest turnout by millions of black voters ever. To think that the color of Obama's skin did not play a role in that is not fair.

AJ,
THere was nothing meant to be offensive in my post. But to think that millions of black Americans voted for the first time in their lives because they he was a democrat is crazy. The statistics say point blank that this was the largest turnout by millions of black voters ever. To think that the color of Obama's skin did not play a role in that is not fair.

JB statistically African American vote democrat 96% of the time, this time it was closer to 98%. Young voters had more of an impact than black voters. The upped registration was in states that typically go to the Democrats anyway, it had very little impact on the final outcome. Besides even as John McCain said it is great that a people who once thought their voices did not matter finally realize they were wrong. I'm not sure what you suggest we do what those new voters, not allow them to vote, count them as 3/5's like we did during slavery. The very premise your argument that race is an advantage after everything we've gone through is derogatory. 50, hell 30 years ago I couldn't hold the public office that I do or be engaged to who I am.

That's not how most people took it, the American people have avery shot attention span. He's asking us to stay focused and not expect a miracle overnight. What he has said is also rooted in statistics, most have shown that it will take 3-4 years for the market to recover. A presidential term is 3-4 years. Nothing sinister about it and the fact that he got elected because he was black when a black man couldn't even go to the white house 50 years ago is offensive. I still get shrewd comments from people every now and then because of my white fiance, so to suggest racism is dead insults me and those who have experienced it. If anything Obama overcame his race not benefited from it. My party (The Republican Party) manage the campaign in a horrible fashion this year, it's likely any Democrat would have won, especially Hillary. Has NOTHING to do with the fact that he's black, JB should I not set my dight high just because I'm black? I mean if by chance through hard work I become successful I don't want all you ignorant people saying I achieved it because of my mix race. And for the record he's half white or do you kick him out of that race because he's half black? Sounds like racism to me. I love the white people in my family and identify with them just as much as the black half of my family, I'm not going to let you or anyone else tell me I don't belong there.

AJ, unfortunately people are judged based on the color of their skin when it comes to determing what "group" they are considered. It is why people forget that he is half white, because the color of his skin. I am not agreeing with that measure of evaluation but unfortunately it is the status quo that exists in our society today.

JB statistically African American vote democrat 96% of the time, this time it was closer to 98%. Young voters had more of an impact than black voters. The upped registration was in states that typically go to the Democrats anyway, it had very little impact on the final outcome. Besides even as John McCain said it is great that a people who once thought their voices did not matter finally realize they were wrong. I'm not sure what you suggest we do what those new voters, not allow them to vote, count them as 3/5's like we did during slavery. The very premise your argument that race is an advantage after everything we've gone through is derogatory. 50, hell 30 years ago I couldn't hold the public office that I do or be engaged to who I am.

it's not the percentage that he is focusing on, but rather the raw numbers that filled the voting rolls.

AJ,
I agree 100% but first time black voters for this election were higher than they have ever been. BY A LONG SHOT! We cannot say that Obama being a black man had nothing to do with that. Nobody said race was an advantage and I for one do not think it is at all in this country. However to think it did not play a role in an election is not fair. Of course it did. The same way that Religion does and everything else. Colin Powell would have garnered a huge amount of votes from the normal liberal voters based on race and it sucks, but it is the way it is.

We cannot continue to live behind a double standard lifestyle in both race, sex, or religion and think that progress is being made. I apologize if you take offense to my post, none was meant of it.

it's not the percentage that he is focusing on, but rather the raw numbers that filled the voting rolls.

Right but since it was in states that typically go the Democrats anyway, I don't see how this affects the outcome. Besides as I mentioned what are we suggesting here anyway? Not letting these people vote?

AJ,
It is not the percentage, it is the amount of new voters. Nobody is saying that people should or shouldn't vote.

Ok, well... first off in this election there were a great deal of double standards that occured. Obama and his race did in fact protect him from some scrutiny as the media outlets, in their greatest liberal fashion, shyed away from certain topics due to political correctness. Religion was a major aspect in this years primary... and is one of the reasons why Mitt Romney is not president of the united states. He would have absolutely slammed Obama in every apsect: experience (executive as a governor who balanced the Massachusetts budget and met extreme adversity in a disgustingly liberal/blue state), the Olympics, his charisma matches Obama's, he is also a well educated and eloquent speaker. Why did not he not make it past the primary, because he was mormom. The media left him out to dry... but Obama was given the pass when it came to his connection to a racist church.

The media also continued to slam Sara Palin for her beliefs and her churchs' connection to the belief that homosexuality could be cured through prayer. So, she gets slammed for that believe but nothing came from a pastor who thinks that a) the government created aids and spread drugs through poor neighborhoods on purpose and b) openly critized this country "God Damn America"... but not a peep after two days of that story came out

That is a double standard

I understand what your referring to as the double standard but it's also unfair to assume that all black people voted for him due to his race. The ones that vote along Democratic party lines (96%) would have anyway, heck my family wanted Hillary. Then there are those that did not vote him anyway (me, though I personally don't like to be considered black since it only makes up about 40% of me).

Right but since it was in states that typically go the Democrats anyway, I don't see how this affects the outcome. Besides as I mentioned what are we suggesting here anyway? Not letting these people vote?

AJ, that is not entirely true. There were several key states were these increases swung a state Blue. Virginia? A long red state... people came out of the woods to vote there, and sorry but the numbers do not lie.

AJ,
Again nobody said anything about "all black people" or anything like that. But to think that so many new black voters came out this year and race had no issue in their minds is unfair.

Ok, well... first off in this election there were a great deal of double standards that occured. Obama and his race did in fact protect him from some scrutiny as the media outlets, in their greatest liberal fashion, shyed away from certain topics due to political correctness. Religion was a major aspect in this years primary... and is one of the reasons why Mitt Romney is not president of the united states. He would have absolutely slammed Obama in every apsect: experience (executive as a governor who balanced the Massachusetts budget and met extreme adversity in a disgustingly liberal/blue state), the Olympics, his charisma matches Obama's, he is also a well educated and eloquent speaker. Why did not he not make it past the primary, because he was mormom. The media left him out to dry... but Obama was given the pass when it came to his connection to a racist church.

The media also continued to slam Sara Palin for her beliefs and her churchs' connection to the belief that homosexuality could be cured through prayer. So, she gets slammed for that believe but nothing came from a pastor who thinks that a) the government created aids and spread drugs through poor neighborhoods on purpose and b) openly critized this country "God Damn America"... but not a peep after two days of that story came out

That is a double standard

I'm an atheist, it's all the same fairy tale to me. So I couldn't care less what they prayed to. Having said that Obamas religions/lack there of have less of a threat of impacting my life than Sarah Palins did. She was downright scary, horrible VP choice.

AJ, that is not entirely true. There were several key states were these increases swung a state Blue. Virginia? A long red state... people came out of the woods to vote there, and sorry but the numbers do not lie.

Okay DD and Jb we'll start counting blacks as 3/5's again and go back to being slaves. Sorry to have a voice.

Again, so religion did have a factor in your decision as race did in others.

I understand what your referring to as the double standard but it's also unfair to assume that all black people voted for him due to his race. The ones that vote along Democratic party lines (96%) would have anyway, heck my family wanted Hillary. Then there are those that did not vote him anyway (me, though I personally don't like to be considered black since it only makes up about 40% of me).

you are correct... it is not right to assume but it is a factor that has to be considered.

Again, so religion did have a factor in your decision as race did in others.

Things that may have an impact on my life sway may bote, Obama could turn blue tomorrow, has not impact on me.

Okay DD and Jb we'll start counting blacks as 3/5's again and go back to being slaves. Sorry to have a voice.

AJ,
You are taking things out of context completely. Nobody is saying anything like that. But we must acknowledge that race, religion, etc... play a role. As a Jew, do you think I like hearing about the religion stuff? Of course not, but to say it has no effect is just not right.

Things that may have an impact on my life sway may bote, Obama could turn blue tomorrow, has not impact on me.

And while I agree, many millions of new voters do not.

I'm not saying those factors had no effect but to state his race gave him an advantage or positive effect is wrong, even with all of the black registered voters. The population does not come close to the white population.

Absolutely agreed AJ. But more people than ever voted this year of particular sector of the population. Obviously to many, race played a role. For good or for bad, it played a role.

I think this one may have run its course. I would love to chat with you further on the subject via pM or email though.

AJ... how do you feel about celebrities and how they have perceived Obama. Do you feel that musicians such as Nas and Young Jeezy who constantly released material throughout the election that focused on Obama had any effect on young voter turn out?

I personally find those songs to be offensive, My President Is Black by Young Jeezy is a prime example of what really bothers me in todays society.

DD,
I actually have no issue with that just like i have no issue with U2 or any other musician preaching their beliefs.

I can't wait until it warms up and everyone is playing golf again.

It seems this thread is "beating a dead horse", and was a loaded topic to begin with. The election is over, the new President is in office, let's all just get behind him and hope we can start fixing the nations problems!!!

DD, it's called freedom of speech

But if U2 released a video called - "John McCain - My White President" you're telling me that their record label would be proud of that....... they would be pulled off that label before the morning news

I agree JB. These kind of issues can be argued until everyone is blue in the face and there will still be no resolution. I think it's time to consider this thread closed. Everyone is entitled to their opinion but feelings can get hurt, offense can be taken and in the end it was never meant to be that way. Once again we will all agree to disagree and close this conversation. If anything else needs to be said, please do so via PM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back